PDA

View Full Version : A night I will NEVER forget!

ahc4353
12-13-2008, 11:49 AM
As some of you know my sons have played hockey since they were very young. Of course when they are small they want to grow up and be professional hockey players. As the years go by they realize that that's not going to happen so they set their sights on college hockey. Al Jr. made the Penn State hockey team this year and last night he got his first opportunity to dress for a game. So Alina, Mitch and I made the 3.5 hour ride to PSU for his first ever college game. To say I was nervous for him would be an understatement.

As I was having my pre-game cigar (as I always do) I thought back over all the years and the sacrifices that not only Jr. has made but the entire family has made to get to this point in his hockey life. Limited vacations, Christmas's with fewer gifts than other kids, late night practice schedules, homework to carry Honor Roll grades and gym workout schedules all had to get done. And all without one complaint.

Reflecting on all of that with my cigar I realized no matter what happened in this game it made no difference, he had reached his goal. All the hard work and effort had paid off, he was playing in his first college game. I was just so proud of him for his hard work and dedication over the years no matter what happened no one could take that away from him or me.

So, first shift he jumps the boards and bolts to the offensive zone, trips over his own feet and goes right on his a$$! :r The think the nerves of playing in his first game coupled with playing in front of 1,100+ vs. what he was used to (a handful of parents) got the best of him. Anyway, the fans, team and coach's had a good laugh at his expense. Once he got through that first shift he seemed to relax and play his game. I did not expect him to get much ice time but he played a lot! Towards the end of the game players were forgoing their shifts so he could take their spot as they wanted him to get his first college point. That will have to wait for another day but does that gesture show you what kind of guys are on that team or what!

After the game you could not have taken the smile off his face or mine with a crowbar! I gave him a hug, told him how proud I was of him and headed home.

Alina and I are looking forward to three more years of watching his college career unfold and hopefully one day in the next couple of years going through a similar night with Mitch.

Thanks for letting me share one of the best damn nights I have every had in my entire life.

Wishing each of you the best life has to offer.

Al

white_s2k
12-13-2008, 11:52 AM
Very cool, thanks for sharing Al :tu

Darrell
12-13-2008, 11:52 AM
That's awesome Al. He would not be there without parents like you and your wife. You guys are top notch for helping your son make his dreams a reality. I hope I can be a father like you one day. :tu :salute:

MikeyC
12-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Great news Al! Congratulations to you, Al Jr., and your entire family. The sacrifices that everyone made are what allowed this goal to be reached. Playing a sport at this high a level is not something accomplished by everyone.

I look forward to hearing about Jr.'s first college goal. :tu

BigAl_SC
12-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Very nice. I know you are a proud papa today just as you have been each time a child hits a milestone......

acruce
12-13-2008, 12:20 PM
It sounds as though you and your wife have done a great job raising your kids. That was a great story. Congratulations.

14holestogie
12-13-2008, 12:22 PM
What a sweet read, Al. His team-mates kind of remind me of the group we have here. Congratulations on a great night and many more.

Old Sailor
12-13-2008, 12:33 PM
Just doesn't get any better than that, Al!:salute:

TripleF
12-13-2008, 12:33 PM
That's awesome AL. Thanks soooooooooooo much for sharing that with us.

It's the whole experience and what lead up to last night's game that is really, really awesome!!

Props to the entire Clark family!! :tu :tu

spectrrr
12-13-2008, 12:39 PM
great story Al, thanks for sharing!

maddman
12-13-2008, 12:41 PM
very cool

dunng
12-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Great experience for your son and family! Thanks for sharing! :ss

BamBam
12-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Truly Awesome.

You think you know what love is...then you have children and the word is redefined.

Sailkat
12-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Thanks for sharing, Al.

There is nothing like the joy you feel when watching a dream become a reality!

Look forward to hearing about his first goal. :tu

bobarian
12-13-2008, 01:00 PM
Great stuff Al! Sounds like it was a very special night for everyone!:tu

Volt
12-13-2008, 01:05 PM
Sounds like an early Christmas present for the family. I hope he gets his first point soon.

boonedoggle
12-13-2008, 01:08 PM
That is awesome brother! I know you are proud!

gettysburgfreak
12-13-2008, 01:29 PM
That is awesome, playing a college sport takes a tramendous amount of effort and is a great accomplishment. I wouldnt have traded my 4 years playing college baseball for anything.

68TriShield
12-13-2008, 01:39 PM
If I didn't know better,I'd say you were a proud poppa Al :D

You have plenty of reasons to be... ;)

SilverFox
12-13-2008, 01:42 PM
So he gets bombed and he asks why, people think highly of him and he asks why, someone lends a hand once in a while and he asks why.

Seems to me its easy to understand why.

I know Al a little better than some of you and I will tell you that although he was excited he treats every game his boys play with the same passion. I love getting my text updates of how his boys are doing. Its amazing how his pride in them can even come through in a text message. His sacrifices so his boys can continue his passions are something that the rest of us fathers can model ourselves after.

Keep the passion Al, its awesome to see you enjoy what you helped to mold.

That is awesome.

Mugen910
12-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Sounds like a great night Al...keep us updated. :tu

taltos
12-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Congratulations Al on your son's first college game and congrats to him. If your kids take after you and have your outlook on life and way of dealing with people, nobody will be able to stop them. You are a credit to this group and a great example to your children. I am very happy to have had the chance to meet you at Vin's.:ss

Starscream
12-13-2008, 02:58 PM
Wonderful story, Al! Hope he gets that first score soon! Best of luck to both him and the family. I know you are proud.

chippewastud79
12-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks for sharing the story Al. Congratulations to your son Al and props to you for raising since a fine young man!

Bruzee
12-13-2008, 03:16 PM
Great story man... Would make ANY Dad proud!!! :D

Blueface
12-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Great story Al.

rck70
12-13-2008, 03:30 PM
:)

Conch Republican
12-13-2008, 03:31 PM
So he gets bombed and he asks why, people think highly of him and he asks why, someone lends a hand once in a while and he asks why.

Seems to me its easy to understand why.

I know Al a little better than some of you and I will tell you that although he was excited he treats every game his boys play with the same passion. I love getting my text updates of how his boys are doing. Its amazing how his pride in them can even come through in a text message. His sacrifices so his boys can continue his passions are something that the rest of us fathers can model ourselves after.

Keep the passion Al, its awesome to see you enjoy what you helped to mold.

That is awesome.
My thoughts exactly - you just said 'em better!

awsmith4
12-13-2008, 05:44 PM
That is an awesome night!!!

Thanks for sharing Al!