PDA

View Full Version : Yasiel Puig an All-Star?

shilala
07-08-2013, 11:36 AM
There's been a lot of talk about this lately. He made the Final All-Star Vote (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/all_star/y2013/fv/ballot.jsp?tcid=ASG13_HP_MW).
He looks like he has a really good chance of dragging himself into the ranks, his power hitting and average are making him pretty popular right now.

Personally I don't think he should be on the ballot.
32 games is not remotely enough of a sample of his abilities. Over the years I've watched one after another rookies come screaming out of the gate, only for opposing pitchers to figure him out a couple months later.
Puig is striking out at a 1/4 clip. He hits the ball 2/5 times, but a .400ish average in a 32 game sample is something that happens all over the league all the time.
He's got 8 home runs. That's a pace to hit around 35 in a full season, a rough guess of maybe 24 for this year at this pace, which he won't keep up.
His last 10 games he's hitting at a .261 clip, with a home run, 11 runs and 5rbi's.
That's a nice line, but those numbers are extremely likely to take a big hit in the second half.

If he does anything close to remarkable in the second half, earns himself a roster spot for next year, and pulls numbers that are even close to Miggy and Chris Davis, I'd get on the bus and even root for him.

It's great to see him having a heck of a breakout. It's awesome that he's good for baseball. Regardless, 32 games do not an All-Star make. I don't care if the guy had 32 home runs in 32 games and was hitting at an .800 clip. An anomaly is an anomaly, and baseball is about patience, not immediate reward.

What do you guys think?

kelmac07
07-08-2013, 11:43 AM
I, personally, didn't vote for him in the Final All-Star Vote and for the reasons you stated above Scott. He has only played 32 games and has not yet earned a spot in this game. If he continues to do what he is doing, next years game is his to join.

But the All Star game is for the fans (yeah yeah, I know the winner gets home field advantage in the World Series) and the fans will ultimately vote him in.

I am still confused as to why two guys from the same team were even place on the ballot together (Adrian Gonzalez and Puig)?? :confused: :confused: (And Gonzalez said he would vote for Puig)

While he is a 5 tool player...hits (and with some power), runs well, fields well, defends great, and has a cannon for an arm...he shouldn't be going this year. :2

Coach Deg
07-08-2013, 11:53 AM
I personally, think he should be on. How many times do you see an avg journeyman player all of a sudden have a great first half and get picked for the all-star game never to be heard from again. The game is for the fans and an exhibition. If the fans vote for him( I did not), he had 800,000 write in votes, then so be it. He has had a better 32 games then any player since Joe DiMaggio. It's exciting and it has people talking about baseball.

shilala
07-08-2013, 11:56 AM
If he was so solid, I'm not sure why they had to wait for 55 games to elapse to bring him up. Of course, they needed to wait for room, but if a guy is that good, you make room, right?
I do know that the talk was that his glove is what kept him from coming up, and it was a concern when he got to the Dodgers.

shilala
07-08-2013, 12:02 PM
I personally, think he should be on. How many times do you see an avg journeyman player all of a sudden have a great first half and get picked for the all-star game never to be heard from again. The game is for the fans and an exhibition. If the fans vote for him( I did not), he had 800,000 write in votes, then so be it. He has had a better 32 games then any player since Joe DiMaggio. It's exciting and it has people talking about baseball.

Good points, Mike.
Mind you guys, I'll be happy for him if he makes the team. I didn't vote for him either because I don't think he's earned it yet. If he was a vet like Mike mentioned, didn't start the season till 55 games in, then had a 32 game run like Puig, I'd vote for him in a second.
I guess I feel like it's something a guy needs to earn, and 32 games doesn't earn anything but an opportunity to maybe stay for 32 more if the wheels don't come off. :)

The Poet
07-08-2013, 12:10 PM
If the fans want him there, I have no big problem with it. However, I do not believe he has earned a spot yet. Making a splash when you get a shot in the bigs is fine, but by that logic this Almonte kid for the Yankees has a good case for All Star votes too . . . and I wouldn't vote him in.

shilala
07-08-2013, 04:21 PM
Hanley Ramirez has almost exactly the same numbers as Puig in his 32 games this year. He's not getting half the stroke this kid is, and he's put his time in.
He's not even in the running for NL shortstop, yet he's tearing it up just as hard and fast as Puig.

shilala
07-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Ramirez: Avg .410 HR7 RBI20 Runs23 SB4 Games32 BB8
Puig: Avg .409 HR8 RBI19 Runs25 SB5 Games32 BB5

jledou
07-09-2013, 05:15 AM
At the end of the year we may be saying yes Puig deserved to be in the all-star game but right now I think there will be some drop off into the second half that could make people question if he should be in the game.

jonumberone
07-09-2013, 05:35 AM
He has only played 32 games and has not yet earned a spot in this game.

Matt Harvey has only played in 28 games, over 2 seasons, but I could swear I saw a post where you wanted him to be the NL starter. :hm

I would vote for him.
Truly one of the more exciting players I have seen play ball.

I see the All-Star Game like a marketing tool for MLB.
In 2013, Puig is a very "Hot" commodity, and should be on "display" for the fans.

kelmac07
07-09-2013, 05:42 AM
Matt Harvey has only played in 28 games, over 2 seasons, but I could swear I saw a post where you wanted him to be the NL starter. :hm

As you are well aware Dom, pitchers are under a totally different criteria than position players for selection to the All Star game. Pitchers aren't voted in, but selected by the coaches/players. Bochy selected Harvey...not the fans. So hell yeah I want to see him start!!!

Quit busting my balls!!

jonumberone
07-09-2013, 05:44 AM
Quit busting my balls!!

NEVER!! :hf

shilala
07-09-2013, 01:23 PM
I see the All-Star Game like a marketing tool for MLB.
In 2013, Puig is a very "Hot" commodity, and should be on "display" for the fans.
That certainly is a biggie.
Being that the All-Star game is supposed to be all about the fans and who they love, it's great for us as well as MLB.

The cool thing about the Puig question is that I've not heard anyone who'd be upset if he made it, or has strong feelings against him making it.
Except maybe Braves fans. They badly want to see Freddie Freeman on the roster.

MedicCook
07-09-2013, 01:31 PM
I have no problem with him being on the fan vote last man in ballot. This is still an exibition game for the fans and he has in his short time in the bigs become a huge fan attraction. Baseball needs this kind of excitement with attendance and tv ratings dropping this year.
Posted via Mobile Device

shilala
07-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Freddie Freeman beat him out.
And not a second later, the press has turned on him and he's an unappreciative diva who needs to learn some respect if he's gonna be in the bigs.
I really, really, can't stand the press. Self-serving dicks.

jonumberone
07-11-2013, 03:40 PM
I agree Scott.
You can't argue he doesn't belong because he only has 30+ games in the bigs, and then expect him to act like, and carry himself like a seasoned veteran.

Blueface
07-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Scott, if for any reason, Cuban Cigars connection?:r