PDA

View Full Version : San Cristobal Clasico Review

Outlaw God
06-25-2013, 12:26 PM
Retail $5. - $8.
5 x 50
Prelight: Sweet hay

1st 1/3
Leather cocoa pepper, toasty finish with notes of wood, roasted nuts, coffee and sweet spices, great draw

Pepper dominating a little more then the other notes, burn off just a bit.

Considered full body but it's a medium body but very smooth and running a little hot.

Pepper in the background, more powdery cocoa semi sweet

Last 1/3
Powdery semi sweet cocoa continues, wood, roasted nuts, black pepper on the tongue

Slight cannoning, black cherry tones also on the last 1/3, nice.
Now more full body

Great cigar for driving an hour in the morning to work. 5 x 50 are good for that.

I don't see myself buying again because of my affection for sweeter more complex cigars

Smoke time 50 min
Score 8 out of 10

kelmac07
06-25-2013, 12:30 PM
Dan, I can see that pepper is not your thing. Love me some San Cristobals. :dr :dr :dr

Outlaw God
06-25-2013, 01:33 PM
Dan, I can see that pepper is not your thing. Love me some San Cristobals. :dr :dr :dr
With your wisdom, what tobacco seed/leaf is more pepper by the time it gets to being a cigar?
Thanks

Jbailey
06-25-2013, 01:39 PM
Always loved the Guajiro! If I remember correctly it was the only one with a different blend. I think why I would always pick that one over the others.

kelmac07
06-25-2013, 01:54 PM
With your wisdom, what tobacco seed/leaf is more pepper by the time it gets to being a cigar?
Thanks

Some say some that the pepper taste comes from being grown in sunnier versus shadier conditions. No clue if that's true or not. I only know that I started out despising pepper in my sticks and now I absolutely love it. :D

Outlaw God
06-25-2013, 01:58 PM
Some say some that the pepper taste comes from being grown in sunnier versus shadier conditions. No clue if that's true or not. I only know that I started out despising pepper in my sticks and now I absolutely love it. :D
I'm doing a review right now on the Arturo Fuente Anejo Reserva 46 and the pepper is gourmet like, I'll catch up to you in a few decades :D
Thanks

Outlaw God
06-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Always loved the Guajiro! If I remember correctly it was the only one with a different blend. I think why I would always pick that one over the others.
I like the description of the "San Cristobal Guajiro", will get a few and see
Thanks

captain53
06-25-2013, 05:49 PM

Me Too! One of my favorites.:tu

captain53
06-25-2013, 06:40 PM
Funny they just had some on Joe's Jam a few minutes ago, had to pick myself up a 5 Pak.

Outlaw God
07-02-2013, 12:27 PM
I just had another Clasico today and it was so much better the review one I did, got to get more

badbriar
07-03-2013, 04:20 PM
Like to add on to your review of this stick...just had one and was pleased with it.
IMHO, of course,,,
Construction: 9.5 / 10. Nearly flawless
Pre-light aroma: 8 / 10 Very mild with sweet cedar aroma
Draw: 10 / 10 As close to ideal as can be
Burn: 10 / 10 Flawlwless...never more than 1/8" off at all times
Performance: 10 / 10 No issues with cap unraveling. Stayed lit easily even with
2-5 min between draws
Taste: 8 / 10 Mild, complex flavors with a lot going on. Never got chocolate
or coffee. Did taste good, aged dark tobacco, nutty, cedar, earthy, leather and
finally a bit of bittersweet black cherry in last 2" - big surprise there.
One of the few sticks to take to the nub. Will get hot if you continue to take
steady draws. Let this guy chill between herfs past the band and will stay cool
and will keep the sweet cedar till the end. Didn't want this to put this one down. I may have made an error with choice of drink to go with the cigar - had a Newcastle Ale, which is a bitter/sweet ale. Could have overshadowed the subtle flavors.
Overall: 9.25 /10. Excellent cigar. Never had a cigar perform and burn as well. Not a lot of smoke, but kept burning where most sticks would go out. This is a well made, smooth cigar. The stick I tried was from a newly opened box...imagine it would be even better with some time in the humi to age and mellow a bit. Will definitely buy again, but at this price point, would search for sales to buy more than 5 packs.
Thanks to Daniel for starting this view...enticed me to try this one.:tu
RR

bretted432
07-03-2013, 09:18 PM
Mmmm, am a big fan of these myself. Not my number 1 choice for a cigar, but definitely tasty!