PDA

View Full Version : Gurkha Ninja

badbriar
06-24-2013, 06:48 PM
This is the most unusual cigar I believe I've ever tried. Ran across this stick at the local ABC (great place to find cigars on sale) and decided to give it a try. Had this cigar for a few weeks in the wineador and put it in a dry box for a few days in anticipation of having a smoke in the warm, humid Florida evening. I'm a sucker for a nice dark Brazilian wrapper and this one is the poster child for exactly that. This and the LFD Cabinet Oscuro are the two best looking cigars I've seen. Construction is just plain gorgeous with a dark, mottled, oily wrapper. Pre-light Aroma is strong...horse stall / earth, bordering on manure. Definitely a man's cigar with such a rustic look and aroma. Cut, toasted easily with a perfect draw - great start. With such a nice looking dark Brazilian, I expected that familiar sweet, spicy flavor-NOT! No sweetness at all. WTF??? First taste was salty from the cut cap, which stayed for about 5 min. Or so.
First 3/4 inch was just plain rough. The wrapper began to come loose at the head, but was quickly corrected and fortunately, was no further issue. Tons of smoke. Never had a cigar that put out so much smoke. This thing really had an attitude. After settling in, things moved well with the stick smoking well and became much smoother. Still none of the sweetness, coffe the descriptions said. Proved that no flavors you get from Starbucks or the local bakery at all. Flavors bounced between leather, cedar, rich tobacco and earthiness, but absolutely none of the usual Brazillian tastes. Burn was wonky, requiring a few touches, but stayed lit and produced lots of smoke throughout. At about 2/3 point, the body got a bit soft and smoke came down to what would be more like most other cigars. With so much smoke, I thought it would burn quickly, but it did just the opposite. Got 2-1/2 hours from the torpedo and laid it to rest with about 2" left.
Overall, this warrants getting a few and putting them away for about 6-8 months. The initial harshness seemed like a new cigar that was cranky from being awakened from a nap. Will definitely put some up to see if some age does the trick. Recommended.
RR

kelmac07
06-24-2013, 06:51 PM
Hate me a wonky burn. :r :r :r

forgop
06-24-2013, 09:53 PM
Yeah, Gurkhas just need a nap, but we're all to impatient to give 'em enough time in the humi to let them develop. ;)

pnoon
06-24-2013, 09:54 PM
Yep.
A 5000 year dirt nap.