PDA

View Full Version : Assassination of Jesse James by Coward Robert Ford

icehog3
12-12-2008, 11:45 PM
Fianlly caught this movie on HBO a couple nights ago. I recommend it, but only if you enjoy character studies and are not merely looking for a old fashioned "shoot-em-up" Western.

Movie starts off pretty slow, but develops well after about 30 minutes, Casey Affleck gives an amazing performance as Robert Ford, and the account of Jesse James' last days is much closer to the truth than in prior "biographies". The movie was actually shot on location in Alberta, Canada (mostly Calgary), and the scenery is amazing as well.

So, if you enjoy historical charcter studies, you should enjoy this flick. If you are looking for "The Outlaw Josey Wales" (which I also love, for the record), then probably not. This is closer to "Unforgiven" than to "Wales".

Mark C
12-13-2008, 06:46 AM
I've been wanting to catch this, just haven't gotten around to it. Thanks for the review!

Cigary
12-13-2008, 07:02 AM
I agree, the movie is a good one in that it is about the story of what took place. I use to live about 10 miles from Liberty, Mo. where the real location took place and it by no means looks like what it does in the movie.

icehog3
12-13-2008, 08:11 AM
I agree, the movie is a good one in that it is about the story of what took place. I use to live about 10 miles from Liberty, Mo. where the real location took place and it by no means looks like what it does in the movie.

Yup, dramatic license, I guess....though I am guessing Libery looked a lot different 120 years ago, too. :)

floydp
12-13-2008, 08:15 AM
We watched it a few weeks ago on Blueray and gave it :tu:tu

Genetic Defect
12-13-2008, 08:48 AM
We watched it a few weeks ago on Blueray and gave it :tu:tu

will have to put in my queue

Starscream
12-13-2008, 12:29 PM
I thought this movie was f****n' awesome! Long, but good!

SteveA
12-13-2008, 04:24 PM
I really enjoyed this movie. Most people I know didn't like it, said it was too slow. I'm a history junkie though so I like this kind of stuff.

croatan
12-15-2008, 08:02 AM
I enjoyed the book a lot. Haven't seen the movie yet. Forgot it was out, honestly. Will have to look for it on HBO if it's running there.

replicant_argent
12-15-2008, 08:06 AM
Same thing as Titanic... I know how it ends.... ;)

vicvitola
12-15-2008, 08:14 AM
I did enjoy this movie. A very "quiet" movie, is the best way I can describe it. Very slow paced. The settings were captivating and the dialogue was engaging. It drew me in despite it's slow pace.

icehog3
12-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Same thing as Titanic... I know how it ends.... ;)

Yeah, you are going to know how any historical biography ends, so that means you can't watch it, Pete?

It's not about the destination.....it's about the journey. ;)

replicant_argent
12-15-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm a simple man, not nearly as complex as my brethren. The "Weekend at Bernies" ilk is the epitome of cinematic genius, as far as I am concerned.
OK, maybe not... I have seen the trailer for it and saw a few snippets here and there about it on Reelz, it appears to have gone under the radar of most of the dubiously instantly gratified movie-going Joe Schmo. The title makes me laugh every time I hear it, it is on my Netflix queue.

A little history isn't so bad occasionally, I suppose. I will dust off my copy of Lawrence of Arabia as penance this week, Father Tom. :hm

icehog3
12-15-2008, 01:35 PM
I'm a simple man, not nearly as complex as my brethren. The "Weekend at Bernies" ilk is the epitome of cinematic genius, as far as I am concerned.
OK, maybe not... I have seen the trailer for it and saw a few snippets here and there about it on Reelz, it appears to have gone under the radar of most of the dubiously instantly gratified movie-going Joe Schmo. The title makes me laugh every time I hear it, it is on my Netflix queue.

A little history isn't so bad occasionally, I suppose. I will dust off my copy of Lawrence of Arabia as penance this week, Father Tom. :hm

Perhaps "Boy's Town" might be a better choice...I think you could use a little Father Flanigan in your life right now, Pete. ;) :r

Starscream
12-15-2008, 03:00 PM
It's not about the destination.....it's about the journey. ;)

Wow. I teach that in English Literature. Well said.

MadAl
12-15-2008, 07:58 PM
I've been wanting to catch this, just haven't gotten around to it. Thanks for the review!

Me too! And thanks for reminding me

Boobar
12-23-2008, 08:44 PM
I recorded this on the DVR and just haven't gotten a chance to watch it yet.

croatan
12-24-2008, 07:48 AM
Finally got around to watching this two nights ago. I thought it was very well done and really enjoyed the movie.

The three non-history-buffs who watched it with me, however, were bored to tears. :r

icehog3
12-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Finally got around to watching this two nights ago. I thought it was very well done and really enjoyed the movie.

The three non-history-buffs who watched it with me, however, were bored to tears. :r

I figured you might like this one, James...but no doubt it's not for everyone.