PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with these lighters? Cheap Ronson

BHalbrooks
06-20-2013, 08:16 PM
I was bombed one of these a while ago, and it seems to last a while per Butane fill, and work better overall than either of the Xicars I have. I gave one of the cheaper Xikars to a coworker who's getting into Cigars, and was using a BIC. Then my other Xikar stopped working. I really hate sending stuff back to Manufacturers, so I started using this Ronson lighter as my sole lighter. I've been looking online, etc to find where I could get another, depending on price, and couldn't find anything about them anywhere.

Fast forward to yesterday. I'm walking through Walmart and see these out of the corner of my eye, on the shelf next to Zippos, and other Lighter stuff Walmart has by the tobacco area. These are $3.50 apiece, and feel really sturdy, and I haven't had a problem with the original yet. I'm not sure if anyone has had a lot of experience with these, but I figured I'd pass it along in case anyone needs a cheap lighter right away that works like a horse, or if someone's getting into Cigars (Seems like we've had a lot of new members lately.) I've attached a couple pictures.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r232/22938/20130620_220611_zps9e4feff5.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/22938/media/20130620_220611_zps9e4feff5.jpg.html)

Just trying to spread the love with y'all :tu

Robulous78
06-20-2013, 08:19 PM
Yea those work fine Brian, Single torch and not overly adjustable but they light reliably which for me is half the battle...

Now if only Ronson made a triple flame... :hm

BHalbrooks
06-20-2013, 08:20 PM
True Rob, even a double flame would be great, but for the price, I'm ok with a single flame.

Robulous78
06-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Yup... I agree, can't beat the price unless you were to buy a case on DX yourself or jump on a group buy, if you're buying individual lighters the Ronson are the way to go...

For a gift they are great, That being said, if it were going to be my go to lighter, I would then purge the Ronson fuel and refill with a better butane, I forget which but there are 2 types of butane n-butane and iso-butane, ronson comes pre-filled with the cheaper of the 2 and can possibly muttle tastes on mild sticks... :2

BHalbrooks
06-20-2013, 08:27 PM
Great point Rob. I use Xikar, and purged all of them. Thank you sir :tu

MrClean
06-20-2013, 08:32 PM
I love the Ronson jet, I have 3 or 4 laying around, my truck, the garage, the barn...etc. I don't care if I lose them and they are reliable for sure. The only drawback is not knowing how much fuel is left in them. :)

BHalbrooks
06-20-2013, 08:41 PM
This is good a point as any to ask, can you leave a filled lighter in a Vehicle? It seems like it'd be ok as long as it was in the glove box or something, but I'd rather rely on some FOG knowledge.

Zane
06-20-2013, 08:42 PM
Love the Ronson. I always have 4 or 5 scattered.

big_jaygee
06-20-2013, 08:48 PM
This is good a point as any to ask, can you leave a filled lighter in a Vehicle? It seems like it'd be ok as long as it was in the glove box or something, but I'd rather rely on some FOG knowledge.

i have 3 lighters in my truck all the time. filled all the time. never had a problem

Robulous78
06-20-2013, 08:52 PM
as long as not left in the seat in direct sunlight, I have never had an issue with any lighter left in a vehicle...

Blak Smyth
06-21-2013, 05:07 AM
They are over built for the price. Not my everyday lighter but good to have in the car and other methodical locations.

emopunker2004
06-21-2013, 05:52 AM
Love the ronson Jetlite I own like 4 of those and full ten with the cheap ronson crap and they run great

captain53
06-21-2013, 06:06 AM
Jet Lite is one of the best basic pocket size lighters and available for under $$4 at Many Walmart's. there are numerous old threads on here about Jet Lites.

That said though they almost disappeared from the stores for a couple of years and now back readily available but with an obviously cheaper feel. Someone bought Ronson out a few years ago but can't remember who it was. If you can find some older ones they work about the same but feel more solid. Once made in the U.S.A. But have been coming from China for a good while now.

Still far and above the best competitive priced pocket lighter from my experience. Nice that when traveling by air you can run in most Walmart's and pick up a jet lighter that works for $4 to use and toss or give away.

captain53
06-21-2013, 06:13 AM
Love the ronson Jetlite I own like 4 of those and full ten with the cheap ronson crap and they run great

That is also a very good point they are about the only jet that will operate on the cheap Ronson fuel also available at Walmart. What a coincidence cheap crap and available at Walmart!

One note when looking for them the Ronsons are usually hanging with the Bic Crap in the checkout area, sometimes only in the tobacco checkout area. The Ronson fuel is in the hardware department and on the plumbing aisle sometimes.

joeobx
06-21-2013, 08:21 AM
I love these things. I pick up 3 or 4 at a time. The tops get loose on them but other than that for 4 bucks you cant beat them.

shilala
06-21-2013, 09:00 AM
The best value in a torch lighter on the planet.

06-21-2013, 12:08 PM
If you remove the adjustment limiter ring, you can get it turned up to a more acceptable level. It takes about 90 seconds to do, although it does lower the refill life expectancy a bit. I have at least 5-6 of these on hand at any time. I give them to noobs and such as my local wally world carries them for an ironic $3.57 :tu

captain53
06-21-2013, 12:23 PM
If you remove the adjustment limiter ring, you can get it turned up to a more acceptable level. It takes about 90 seconds to do, although it does lower the refill life expectancy a bit. I have at least 5-6 of these on hand at any time. I give them to noobs and such as my local wally world carries them for an ironic $3.57 :tu

Instructions for that process please, I got a drawer full of them and will give it a try on one.

A little more info on Ronson that I could not remember earlier:

In 2010 the Ronson company gave up and was taken over by the Zippo lighter company who had won the classical lighter war. However, the zippo companies are still keeping the Ronson Lighters company name alive by producing mostly cheap disposable lighters (the Comet) in the Ronson name.

pektel
06-21-2013, 12:30 PM
I have to admit, I'm a cheap lighter person. If I'm lighting inside, I use a soft flame Bic. If I'm lighting outside, I use a Ronson. I lose too much stuff to buy expensive lighters. Or sunglasses.

I had a Palio, but can't for the life of me find it after not smoking all winter. I use the knife on my leatherman to cut my cigars now, and frankly it works just fine.

But on topic, agreed that Ronson Jetlites are awesome. They never fail, as long as I purge the lighter before every refill.

DMK
06-21-2013, 12:55 PM
I pick up all of those when I find them.
They are a great, cheap, reliable lighter.

markem
06-21-2013, 01:16 PM
Instructions for that process please, I got a drawer full of them and will give it a try on one.

You can also look at the comments of this youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPk-PhdZTIM

NCRadioMan
06-21-2013, 01:23 PM
The Ronson fuel is in the hardware department and on the plumbing aisle sometimes.

DO NOT USE RONSON BUTANE in any lighter! It's cheap for a reason. It's the dirtiest fuel on the market and will kill your lighter before its time. Someone mentioned the flame size. Use good fuel like Lava or Vector and you will notice the flame will be bigger, fuller and will burn more efficiently without any adjustment.

captain53
06-21-2013, 02:15 PM
You can also look at the comments of this youtube video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPk-PhdZTIM

Thanks for the link. :tu Answer is in the comments and worked well. Been a Ronson user for 10 years or so and never heard of this trick, learn something new every day! :)

jjirons69
06-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Used to like Ronson. Have gotten away from them, never know how much gas is left and they've left me stranded a couple of times. For a cheaper price I've ordered half a dozen 1300C single flames from dealextreme.com on a couple occasions. Usually around $3 with no tax nor shipping charges. They hold a ton of fluid and you can see it, plus the flame is a true flame that blasts. BTW, I've been running Ronson fluid in these for years (dozen cans or more) and have never had ANY issues (sorry, Greg).

http://dx.com/p/honest-1300-c-butane-jet-lighter-11868

http://www.online-wholesale.net/img/p/m/jet-1300-c-butane-lighter-with-clear-tank-57860-1.jpg

captain53
06-21-2013, 02:49 PM
DO NOT USE RONSON BUTANE in any lighter! It's cheap for a reason. It's the dirtiest fuel on the market and will kill your lighter before its time. Someone mentioned the flame size. Use good fuel like Lava or Vector and you will notice the flame will be bigger, fuller and will burn more efficiently without any adjustment.

I Would never use or recommend using Ronson Fuel in a premium lighter but it works ok in the Ronson Jet Lites and seems pretty irrational to stop in Walmart to purchase a $3.57 lighter which comes with Ronson fuel in it(small amount usually enough for about 2 cigars) then travel down to the nearest B & M to pay $10 - 12 or more for a can of premium fuel for when the Ronson fuel runs out.:banger

Vector is great fuel filtered 5 times and comes in a large can for best value. You can buy it online at a significant savings and sometimes with free shipping when bundled with other items.

NCRadioMan
06-21-2013, 02:57 PM
To each his own but I have had, literally, hundreds of lighters (cheap and expensive) come to me that wouldn't work anymore and the only thing I found wrong with them is that the user was using Ronson butane. And the Jet Lite performs noticeably better with other fuels.

06-24-2013, 01:48 PM
To each his own but I have had, literally, hundreds of lighters (cheap and expensive) come to me that wouldn't work anymore and the only thing I found wrong with them is that the user was using Ronson butane. And the Jet Lite performs noticeably better with other fuels.

I'm with Greg. The only ones I had fail used crappy butane. The rest keep on truckin with Vector butane. I know it's more expensive but I'm on my second can in 8-9 years of smoking cigars. I'm going to say it's worth the extra couple bucks.

Mr. Grimes
06-24-2013, 01:58 PM
I bought one and it worked for like a week. But, took it back to Wally World and got another no questions asked. I use the new one occasionally. The first one wouldn't refill. I think the reservoir was leaking too bad to hold any gas. Great buy though.

ky70
06-25-2013, 09:37 PM

I generally agree with not using Ronson fluid (bad stuff) but the Ronson lighter will eat and run on any butane fluid you feed it. My 8 year old Ronson has been abused and still lights everytime on any fuel.

shopkins82
06-26-2013, 08:27 AM
I keep a few around (golf bag, glove box, etc) and also give them frequently as gifts to new smokers. I really like the dark-chrome art-deco line model... I found that you can scotch-brite and then polish it to a very interesting copper finish, but it tarnishes quickly. If I'd been a cigar smoker at the time, I likely would have had these engraved as groomsman gifts. The only real down-side is the puny capacity... I'm a fairly methodical toaster and touch-up-er and I can basically only get about 2 cigars out of a full tank.

688sonarmen
06-26-2013, 08:43 AM
I've had the same ronson for about 5 years and it has been left outside in the rain and sent through the washer. Still working!

cjhalbrooks
06-26-2013, 05:16 PM
I keep a few around (golf bag, glove box, etc) and also give them frequently as gifts to new smokers. I really like the dark-chrome art-deco line model... I found that you can scotch-brite and then polish it to a very interesting copper finish, but it tarnishes quickly. If I'd been a cigar smoker at the time, I likely would have had these engraved as groomsman gifts. The only real down-side is the puny capacity... I'm a fairly methodical toaster and touch-up-er and I can basically only get about 2 cigars out of a full tank.

Yep your not kidding there.