PDA

View Full Version : Am I OK in storing my cigars like this?

Outlaw God
06-15-2013, 05:33 PM
With summer approaching I put my humidors in a quality cooler with 2 blue ice packs periodically
The humidity in the humidors are 65 and interior temps are 70
Seem OK? outside temps in house are 80
Thanks

kelmac07
06-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Ice packs? Want to keep your sticks cool? :D

Get some beads, either Shilala (my preference and shoot CigarNut a PM, he sells them) or Heartfelt...they will keep them constant.

Outlaw God
06-15-2013, 05:39 PM
Ice packs? Want to keep your sticks cool? :D

Get some beads, either Shilala (my preference and shoot CigarNut a PM, he sells them) or Heartfelt...they will keep them constant.

Thanks, but room temp around 80-85 makes me nervous, I have herd that temps outside have little do do with the controlled RH in the humidors?

kelmac07
06-15-2013, 05:40 PM
Thanks, but room temp around 80-85 makes me nervous, I have herd that temps outside have little do do with the controlled RH in the humidors?

Trust me...the beads will do ALL the work brother. :D Now I would tell you to try and store them in a cool place, preferably downstairs versus upstairs...basement/cellar if you have one would be ideal. :2

longknocker
06-15-2013, 05:41 PM

Room Temp For Cigar Storage Should Be 70-75 Max. Beetles Can Hatch In Your Sticks In Temps Above That.:2:tu

Outlaw God
06-15-2013, 05:44 PM
Room Temp For Cigar Storage Should Be 70-75 Max. Beetles Can Hatch In Your Sticks In Temps Above That.:2:tu

Yea that scares me bad, so maybe the cooler right now as summer approaches will be acceptable. No basement here in Cally :D
Thanks

Subvet642
06-15-2013, 06:33 PM
Yea that scares me bad, so maybe the cooler right now as summer approaches will be acceptable. No basement here in Cally :D
Thanks

You'll find that many people use coolers as humidors and for long-term aging. They're inexpensive, hold humidity excellently and have a large capacity; you can store whole boxes. They're also thermally insulated. You'll find threads here on how to set one up, but it's practically effortless. With beads, as mentioned above, they're almost maintenance free. It's what I use.

T.G
06-15-2013, 06:39 PM
Thanks

It takes continuous sustained temps in excess of 70 for a few weeks to hatch beetles. Depending on how low your house and cooler drop at night, this can interrupt the incubation cycle.

Also note that most cigars are treated for beetles & eggs a few times along their way from leaf to finished cigar to your humidor. Most of them receiving a final deep freeze before they go out to the distributors/retailers or even possibly again at some large retailers.

Of course it's possible that eggs could be reintroduced at any point if the cigars are stored in a infested humidor. To be safe you can follow the directions here http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=7919 for freezing your own cigars and then you shouldn't have to worry about anything.

BTW, where in CA are you?

hotreds
06-15-2013, 06:56 PM
Agree with beads for humidity. However, there is nothing wrong with using ice packs to keep the humi cool. A few days of 80 won't hurt anything, a few weeks might or might not. But, not worth the risk!

Gabe215
06-15-2013, 07:37 PM
What Subvet642 said, My room is where I keep my collection and in the summer I set my AC to 75 on Econ, I hope they are OK!!

CigarNut
06-15-2013, 07:47 PM
I would be real careful using icepacks. They will cause real big spikes in RH as they melt and change the temperature. You will get lots of moisture from condensation as well. As others have said, short periods of high temperatures are not bad -- after all cigars are shipped in cargo containers from South America so they get lots of heat in transit.

If you are really worried about beetles try freezing your cigars as Andy suggested above.

Outlaw God
06-15-2013, 08:29 PM
I would be real careful using icepacks. They will cause real big spikes in RH as they melt and change the temperature. You will get lots of moisture from condensation as well. As others have said, short periods of high temperatures are not bad -- after all cigars are shipped in cargo containers from South America so they get lots of heat in transit.

If you are really worried about beetles try freezing your cigars as Andy suggested above.

I've never used ice as the OP "blue ice packs" wrapped in a ziplock

smokin5
06-15-2013, 09:18 PM
I've done the Blue Ice bit for many years without a problem.
My house can easily exceed 80 degrees in the summer, and
I've never had a problem with beetle menageries or RH spiking.
Put 'em in a Ziploc bag with a towel underneath & life is gooderer.

kelmac07
06-15-2013, 09:19 PM
Can't beat gooderer. :D

Coach Deg
06-16-2013, 05:38 AM
The room where my Humi is can reach 80 during the summer. I do not use ice, but I freeze everything that goes in my humi.