PDA

View Full Version : Oldest aged cigars you have

FUEL
06-11-2013, 06:46 AM
As the title states, what are the oldest aged cigars and the length of them time that you have had them sitting in your humi?

Reason I asked is that I read a redux on Halfwheel posted yesterday about Liga Papas Fritas after six months of age and how they lost some of the original profile and not in a likeable way, after just six months of age.

Liga Privad is one of my top three lines and IMHO after 3-6 weeks rest they are best ROTT hence why I think I can never keep the humi stocked lol.

Going to a rather large LP / DE event Thursday and am going to propose the same question to Faiben.

Thoughts?

And good morning to the Asylum!

-(P
J.

kelmac07
06-11-2013, 06:52 AM
My oldest stick is a tiny figurado from Germany that was made in 1930s. Was gifted to me at TriSheilds herf last year. Also have a couple from 1948 gifted to be my Scott (Shilala).

I have had ROTT LP #9s and some with a few years on them. While they are very tasty ROTT, they lose a little bit over age, but that won't stop me from keeping them in the humi.

One brand that I truly believe gets better with time are Olivas. Anything Oliva holds up to some time. Prime example is the Blue Cloth Bands...they are FANTASTIC!!! :dr :dr

Garbandz
06-11-2013, 07:00 AM
Oliva X, Camacho Corojo from the crop of 97,rolled in01. Cabanas 98, Flor de Cano 00,Vegueros 99.........

MrClean
06-11-2013, 07:11 AM
I had 5 Fonseca's from '98. Just smoked the last one this past weekend :(

Buckeye Jack
06-11-2013, 07:14 AM
My thoughts on why they aren't good after 6 months is that they have entered a sick period. 6 months is definitely when a sick period could hit. I'm sure once they come out of it they will fine.

As for me, I have some singles that are pre-castro to current, and boxes from the 80's to current. I started smoking cigars in 97, and probably still have some singles from boxes that I bought in the early 2000's still.

FUEL
06-11-2013, 07:19 AM
Dang that's some time!

I noticed a dramatic difference on my palette from the first box of UF13s to the 4th box. Saka also acknowledged this on the Halfwheel forums. I wonder what it is about their blends that trigger that.

Playing devils advocate, when I had FFP's on a regular basis I had some over a year old and found very to little change with a year to 18 months in the humi.

Also trying to convince a friend to herf some of his 2007 Opus X's as they may have reached the point of diminishing returns... That and I want one hah!

stearns
06-11-2013, 08:05 AM
I would suggest doing a google search for "cigar maturation cycles," there is a very expanded discussion of this concept in MRN's book, but there is some basic knowledge out there for free. there is little proven fact about this, but a whole lot of theory to get you thinking. without having tried the papas fritas being discussed myself, i would agree with Jack that they could be in their sick period. i'm curious as to how they taste in another 6 months.

jjirons69
06-11-2013, 08:53 AM
My oldest stick is a tiny figurado from Germany that was made in 1930s. Was gifted to me at TriSheilds herf last year.

Smoke it, Mac! I smoked mine David Shane gave me. Pretty dang good. No reason to sit on it. At 80 years old, you don't want it to lose it's flavor profile. ;)

I've got some clear Havanas form the 40s and 50s and assorted NC/CCs from the 80s, 90s, and 00s.

hotreds
06-11-2013, 09:02 AM
Patrick the Low Rent bleep gifted me some oldies going back to the 20s.

pektel
06-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Oldest 2 sticks in my humi are a 96 Boli Corona and a 97 Upmann Monarcas.

I will not have that same answer the end of this summer. Because I'm gonna smoke both of em. I'd much rather say "I smoked one" than "I have one".

I relate to this quote:
"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em." -Ron White

ColdCuts
06-11-2013, 09:11 AM
No reason to sit on it. At 80 years old, you don't want it to lose it's flavor profile. ;)
:r

My oldest was a 1998 Romeo Y Julieta corona. It was gifted to me from I can't remember who, where, or when. Damn memory. But I burned that one up last Wednesday.

It was worth it. :)

Dunkel
06-11-2013, 09:12 AM
My oldest stick is a tiny figurado from Germany that was made in 1930s. Was gifted to me at TriSheilds herf last year.

That is also the oldest cigar I have, and BTW that was the year before last. ;)

stearns
06-11-2013, 09:14 AM
many on here have had the distinct pleasure of smoking a 1900's partagas thanks to the extreme generosity of one brother who rarely posts here. unfortunately, those are all gone now

pektel
06-11-2013, 09:24 AM
As long as they all went up in flames instead of being cared for improperly, than I say it's fortunate!

bstarrs
06-11-2013, 10:17 AM
LCG M'Or #3 2001, HDM Exquisitos, 1998

kelmac07
06-11-2013, 10:18 AM
That is also the oldest cigar I have, and BTW that was the year before last. ;)

Damn...you are right Doug. :bh :bh

FUEL
06-11-2013, 10:37 AM
I would suggest doing a google search for "cigar maturation cycles," there is a very expanded discussion of this concept in MRN's book, but there is some basic knowledge out there for free. there is little proven fact about this, but a whole lot of theory to get you thinking. without having tried the papas fritas being discussed myself, i would agree with Jack that they could be in their sick period. i'm curious as to how they taste in another 6 months.

Thank you for the info! I had a PM conversation with one of the guys and the way he put it is that at least on an informal level he will be re-valuating at 9 and 12 months respectively.

My one guess on the PF's is the fact that they are a mixed filler and perhaps with the smaller pieces of tobacco not rolled as tight time progresses the "maturation cycle."

emopunker2004
06-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Davidoff CC from the 1980s, a gift from Poker, I've had it for about 2.5yrs

FUEL
06-11-2013, 10:50 AM

Rather interesting timing as I just watched "Wallstreet" last night and remember when Bud Fox gives Gecko a box of Cuban Davidoffs lol. Movie was in '85 but the way Gecko spoke of them was that they were from sometime before that. Dunno.

stearns
06-11-2013, 10:50 AM
My one guess on the PF's is the fact that they are a mixed filler and perhaps with the smaller pieces of tobacco not rolled as tight time progresses the "maturation cycle."

this is a very interesting idea. I'd love to hear some input from some of the many super-brainy folks here about if the aging process changes between long/mixed/short filler cigars.

DaBear
06-11-2013, 10:54 AM
Currently I've only got a few sticks older than a year, and none older than 3. Oldest I've ever had was a 98 Punch Corona from Patrick(bigswol). My first CC too.

Chainsaw13
06-11-2013, 11:59 AM
I have one from 1919 that i won in last year's auction, from Shilala. I'm thinking I"ll hold off smoking it until my birthday in 2019. I have a few other more recent vintages (30's/50's) that I can enjoy before then.

shilala
06-11-2013, 12:19 PM
1909 and 1919.

06-11-2013, 12:37 PM
2012 :sh

stearns
06-11-2013, 12:47 PM
2012 :sh

for some reason, i dont believe you :confused:

06-11-2013, 12:59 PM
for some reason, i dont believe you :confused:

I can't prove it but you're welcome to stop by and verify my receipts.

Wait, on second thought, I do have one cigar from 1999. Everything else is current production.

Blueface
06-11-2013, 01:24 PM
this is a very interesting idea. I'd love to hear some input from some of the many super-brainy folks here about if the aging process changes between long/mixed/short filler cigars.

Can idiots chime in?

To answer your question, nope.
A 10 year old long filler aged just as much as a 10 year old mixed which aged just as much as a 10 year old short filler, as long as all three where made on the same day, at the same time, if to be considered the same age.:D

mahtofire14
06-11-2013, 01:38 PM
00' HDM Churchill CC

markem
06-11-2013, 01:43 PM
I dunno about aged. But the oldest un-aged cigars that I have are from the mid 80s.

stearns
06-11-2013, 02:11 PM

i thought you were talking about the oldest you've smoked ;s

Porch Dweller
06-11-2013, 02:53 PM
RyJ cc from 2006. Got it before getting married, going to smoke it on 10-year anniversary. Other than that, my oldest is from 2011. I have a tendency to smoke just about everything I buy. :)

FUEL
06-11-2013, 03:12 PM

My thought process on this is that picture a hot summer day and you have a cooler of beverages and when done with your beverages you dump the cooler of ice cubs out into the hot driveway...that is short filler. Now picture you have a large solid blocks of ice you toss out in the driveway as well...there is your long filler.

The group of smaller ice cubes due to surface area and density are going to melt more quickly than a larger block with more surface area. So the long filler will "maturate" more slowly, in theory, than a short filler. Or one could say the short filler cigar has more edges that are exposed to the elements vs. a properly hand rolled long filler. How often do you see the middle of a stick, aka the filler, dry out first vs the wrapper.

My logic and 3 cents.

FUEL
06-11-2013, 03:22 PM

Wait, on second thought, I do have one cigar from 1999. Everything else is current production.

I'll take the Pepsi challenge on that and make the drive as long as I can spend the day coddling with your humi(s) :r:r:r

Blueface
06-11-2013, 04:12 PM
My thought process on this is that picture a hot summer day and you have a cooler of beverages and when done with your beverages you dump the cooler of ice cubs out into the hot driveway...that is short filler. Now picture you have a large solid blocks of ice you toss out in the driveway as well...there is your long filler.

The group of smaller ice cubes due to surface area and density are going to melt more quickly than a larger block with more surface area. So the long filler will "maturate" more slowly, in theory, than a short filler. Or one could say the short filler cigar has more edges that are exposed to the elements vs. a properly hand rolled long filler. How often do you see the middle of a stick, aka the filler, dry out first vs the wrapper.

My logic and 3 cents.

Don't think so.

I just got a headache reading this.:sh

FUEL
06-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Don't think so.

I just got a headache reading this.:sh

Lmao

T.G
06-11-2013, 04:52 PM

My logic and 3 cents.

If this conversation were about plug tobacco versus loose tobacco, then maybe. But short vs long, nach.

icehog3
06-11-2013, 06:39 PM

My logic and 3 cents.

The analogy of ice melting to tobacco maturing is about as valid as a 2013 check from Jimmy Hoffa, James. ;)

FUEL
06-11-2013, 07:03 PM
The analogy of ice melting to tobacco maturing is about as valid as a 2013 check from Jimmy Hoffa, James. ;)

I explained it to several people and it made sense to them I think its just not translating from brain to fingers to keyboard.

I was just trying to say that with a short filler there is not as much protection if you will from the elements as a tightly wrapped long filler cigar and the short filler would lose its bite quicker due to it not being as tightly grouped I guess.

I dunno, F me, there is no hockey on tonight. All G-Damn day I have been looking forward to the Stanley Cup tonight and its not till tomorrow. Last nights 2 hours of "sleep" maybe catching up with me as well as my 260 mile round trip trek to the Mayo Clinic yesterday to have a second opinion on my knee.

So ignore the damn ice analogy and go with the first post Tom :sl

-(P

J.

PS - Aren't Tuesdays the day where you are limited to LE talk only like we discussed? Hmm? :r

FUEL
06-11-2013, 07:05 PM
If this conversation were about plug tobacco versus loose tobacco, then maybe. But short vs long, nach.

I slept at a Holiday Inn Express once but never claimed to be an expert. I think that is where my brain might have been headed or was thinking of a short filler of the Swisher Sweets variety.

Nach, nach, nach! ;s

SERENITY NOW!

06-12-2013, 07:41 AM
I'll take the Pepsi challenge on that and make the drive as long as I can spend the day coddling with your humi(s) :r:r:r

I think you'd spend 4-5 times as much in gas as my total value of cigars in my humi. Probably not a good trade :D

06-12-2013, 07:42 AM
BTW, thanks to StLouStu, I know own a cigar from 1998. He gifted it to me yesterday at our monthly Detroit Herf.

maninblack
06-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Mine is from 1493, handrolled by Columbus on the thighs of virgins.

06-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Mine is from 1493, handrolled by Columbus on the thighs of virgins.

I heard the original release is better. :D

Don Fernando
06-12-2013, 12:49 PM
I have a few clearing havanna's, 30's and 40's, i got them from Joe.

I also smoked a Spanish Joy that was dated beteren 1890 and 1910, review is on the forum here

Don Fernando
06-12-2013, 12:52 PM

Smoke it before it loses all flavor, the cc davidoff form the 80's i smoked was already passed its prime

shark
06-13-2013, 05:59 PM
I have a few clearing havanna's, 30's and 40's, i got them from Joe.

I also smoked a Spanish Joy that was dated beteren 1890 and 1910, review is on the forum here

Nice!

TheGiver
06-16-2013, 12:47 AM
86' Monte #2 or so he said. :)

Mechanic
06-16-2013, 08:12 AM
I have a box of 1992 OpusX rubusto and a box of Partagas 150 I bought them both myself and have been sitting since

irratebass
06-16-2013, 09:44 AM
Paul Garmirian Family Reserve 01'

Adriftpanda
06-16-2013, 04:15 PM
I have a box of 1992 OpusX rubusto and a box of Partagas 150 I bought them both myself and have been sitting since

Didn't opus come out '95?

JenksAnejo
06-16-2013, 04:21 PM
Correct Huy, he must have some ultra-rare prerelease Opus. :)

MarkinAZ
06-16-2013, 04:33 PM
I believe I have a few 2004 Consuegra #30 Maduro's hanging out in the cooler-(P

hammondc
06-16-2013, 04:58 PM
Early 90s Davidoff.
Mid 90s Trunk Show La Gloria Cubana.

Robulous78
06-16-2013, 05:18 PM
Oliva X, Camacho Corojo from the crop of 97,rolled in01. Cabanas 98, Flor de Cano 00,Vegueros 99.........

I had some camacho Corojo's from Diggs that he said had 7 years on them... SOOOOOO tasty... Would love to find more oldies...

FUEL
06-16-2013, 06:08 PM
The old Opus X slides date back to 87 or 89.

Check Christies Auction House as they had a humi with them in it that went for about $33,000.

Edit: 1992

Adriftpanda
06-17-2013, 11:42 PM

Check Christies Auction House as they had a humi with them in it that went for about $33,000.

Link?

T.G
06-18-2013, 08:39 AM

Didn't opus come out '95?

Correct Huy, he must have some ultra-rare prerelease Opus. :)

Huy and Jarrod are correct. The Opus X did not come out until 1995. When you see "1992" on some Opus X packaging, most notably the tins, it refers to the year that the seeds for the wrapper leaf were first planted.

FUEL
06-18-2013, 08:55 AM
Link?

Believe me I've been trying to find it! I had a hard drive crash that it was on. I have it on an email I sent but it was months ago so a lot to filter through.

I met a guy through Cigar Aficionado who is a serious collector and has them sans the humidor they came in and he is trying to sell the. He has all sorts of crazy stuff like one of the golden tickets and three Liga Privada No9s from 2004,2005 and 2006 that JD hand wrote the band's with pics of JD writing them out. He has virtually everything Liga Privada has made sans the Black Rat, Big Black Rat and the Bashert Pig.
We did a huge group buy him on the Halfwheel forums back in February & March.

If anyone wants his contact info PM me. His name is Jeff and his main home is in OR and prefers to be emailed first and I will tell you if you don't have a genuine interest in purchasing he can be rather short with you.

markem
06-18-2013, 10:09 AM
Couldn't this "guy through Cigar Aficionado who is a serious collector" be able to provide you with the information of which you seek? You seem to be buddies and I'm sure that he would not be short with you.

If there is a serious collector near me who paid $33K for NCs, I'd like to meet him. I have some land west of Newport that is for sale at a reasonable price.

CigarNut
06-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Couldn't this "guy through Cigar Aficionado who is a serious collector" be able to provide you with the information of which you seek? You seem to be buddies and I'm sure that he would not be short with you.

If there is a serious collector near me who paid $33K for NCs, I'd like to meet him. I have some land west of Newport that is for sale at a reasonable price.

And the land includes a bridge!!