PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Arizona

fencefixer
05-28-2013, 07:24 PM
We're considering making the move from Ohio, mostly due to medical reasons. Wife's ready to get into nursing, there seem to be plenty hospitals, I can work from pretty much anywhere in the country. With my son's medical problems and all we'd benefit from that as well.

We're going to go there next year for a week to check it out and first look for a rental property; not buy a house right away.

Question for you residents there.. San Tan Valley/Gilbert/East Mesa/Casa Grande/Chandler/Maricopa those seem to be offering the kind of climate we're looking for. What's your take on those areas? Would like some input regarding the people/economy/school system and every day life, etc. The more knowledge I can gather ahead of time the better.

cjhalbrooks
05-28-2013, 08:14 PM
Well brother i hope your son gets well soon. I am truly sorry for your families hard times.

smokin5
05-28-2013, 09:17 PM
Sorry to say I can't help you much about that part of AZ.
I left the Valley area a l-o-n-g time ago (20+ years) for a
better life 100 miles away from 'civilization'.

I agree with your idea of renting for a year before buying.
Give yourself time to get a better lay of the land rather
than rush into buying a mistake.

Good luck with your decisions.:tu

sevans105
05-28-2013, 10:03 PM
Graduated high school and college in Tempe, lived and raised kids in Gilbert for 10 years or so after that. My sister and two brothers live in Gilbert and have for years as well. I really like the East Valley...good schools, good hospitals. My sister-in-law is a nurse anesthetist for Banner down there. Very strong Mormon presence. Good folks. Make for nice neighbors.

Blak Smyth
05-29-2013, 05:39 AM
I lived in Phoenix for two years, spent lots of time in Mesa where I had family.
I HATED Phoenix!
Mesa was okay because where my family lived was in the middle of nowhere.

I couldn't take the heat so I got out of that god forsaken kitchen...
And moved to PA, which I hate a little less. My wife wants to move back to AZ :al ...but I do not.

119? "But it's a dry heat". I would rather have 95 and humid than 120 and dry. You can't walk on the ground, can't wear pants, can't get in your car for 15 minutes after turning on the A/C, can't touch the shifter in your car, etc... The hot parts of AZ aren't for me.

Scottsdale was a nice place though, I worked there. Expensive though.

Sedona was one of the most beautiful places I have been to, wish I could live there.

I said all that but I don't care where I am living if it is for the health of a loved one. Best wishes with your son Amigo, hoping for the best for you and your family.

Blak Smyth
05-29-2013, 07:32 AM
I forgot to mention, Arizona nights and winters are wonderful!

fencefixer
05-29-2013, 05:13 PM
I appreciate your input! Been looking at Oro Valley as well; from what I've read it's a nice community with low crime rate... and the cops there love pulling people over for driving 1mph/speed limit. :rolleyes:

Also, Scott, thanks for your offer to assist with the details.