PDA

View Full Version : Where are the animation fans?

kayaker
12-12-2008, 02:55 PM
I have been a long time fan of animation. Disney is not high on my priority list, but I'll watch some of it. Their Pixar stuff is a bit more interesting to be.

Heavy Metal was one of the classics that got me going. So was Lord of the Rings.

I like some Anime, but wouldn't call myself a hard core fan by any stretch. Love the Ghost in the Shell stuff, and Ninja Scroll.

Right now I've just tracked down some stuff by Ralph Bakshi. Wizards (1977) and Spicy City, a short live HBO show from the 90s.

I like the freedom that animation offers to story telling. There are a few books that I think would make a great animated movie or series, but would likely not work as well as live action.

So, what do you like? Do you have any recommendations?

Maybe we can start an animation pass if there is enough interest.

md4958
12-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Bao is Asian, so he is a HUGE Manga fan by default!!
http://www.mangaarts.com.au/Manga_Arts_Web_Frontpage.jpg

Mugen910
12-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Ninja Scroll & Fist of the North Star were some of my favs...but now it's mostly reading the manga if the anime isn't fast enough...some of the few I have watched and loved:

Hajime No Ippo (First Step)
Full Metal Alchemist
Naruto
Samurai Champloo --Hence the name "Mugen"
Inuyasha (sp)
Ranma 1/2

I'm not as into them as I used to be but I still watch some on my younger brother's recommendation.

The anime pass sounds like fun but I usually only carry *backup* copies. ;)

md4958
12-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Ninja Scroll & Fist of the North Star were some of my favs...but now it's mostly reading the manga if the anime isn't fast enough...some of the few I have watched and loved:

Hajime No Ippo (First Step)
Full Metal Alchemist
Naruto
Samurai Champloo --Hence the name "Mugen"
Inuyasha (sp)
Ranma 1/2

I'm not as into them as I used to be but I still watch some on my younger brother's recommendation.

The anime pass sounds like fun but I usually only carry *backup* copies. ;)

see... told ya

Mugen910
12-12-2008, 03:21 PM
see... told ya

You are soooo racist! A$$hat!!!

:fu:ss

CHRONO14
12-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Lately I've been into :
Bleach
Naruto
and Soul Eater

but a couple others I also started watching are Code Geass, Elfen Lied, and Neon Genesis Evangelion. I still love DBZ as well (yeah I know it got over popularized but it was still cool )

I used to be into the disney stuff when I was younger (still love Aladdin). Pixar I think is also pretty cool but I thought they were better before disney bought them.

Starscream
12-14-2008, 03:06 PM
I like old school animation. Bambi, Fleischer cartoons, Fantasia, and Silly Symphonies. Those old Superman cartoons are awesome!

alfbacca
12-14-2008, 04:56 PM
My friend hooked me on two anime series:
Trigun (a futuristic western action comedy)
GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka (comedy about a wannabe pervert teacher who used to be in a motorcycle gang)

As for movies I loved both Akira and Ghost in the Shell. I still haven't seen the Ghost in the shell series but I've heard it's great.

rck70
12-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Family Guy......:r

Starscream
12-15-2008, 08:21 AM
Family Guy......:r

:tpd:
Family Guy
Robot Chicken
ATHF

Seanohue
12-15-2008, 08:33 AM
I watch a lot of anime. My A-P profile will show most everything I have to say: http://www.anime-planet.com/users/Seanohue

The series I'm following right now are Gundam 00 Season 2, Soul Eater, and Bleach. :tu

adampc22
12-15-2008, 08:40 AM
i am a hardcore anime fan

adampc22
12-15-2008, 08:41 AM
bleach rocks

Mugen910
12-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Lately I've been into :
Bleach
Naruto
and Soul Eater

but a couple others I also started watching are Code Geass, Elfen Lied, and Neon Genesis Evangelion. I still love DBZ as well (yeah I know it got over popularized but it was still cool )

I used to be into the disney stuff when I was younger (still love Aladdin). Pixar I think is also pretty cool but I thought they were better before disney bought them.

I hear good things about Bleach...

I loved NGE but I heard the endings sucked so gave up on it..

CHRONO14
12-16-2008, 12:23 PM
I loved NGE but I heard the endings sucked so gave up on it..

Yeah I heard that too but I figured wth. I'm only on episode 10, and still catching up on a bunch of other stuff.

Mugen910
12-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Yeah I heard that too but I figured wth. I'm only on episode 10, and still catching up on a bunch of other stuff.

They re-did the ending so it might be good now. :D

spincycle
12-16-2008, 01:49 PM
I'm watching BECK again right now. Love that anime. :)

kayaker
12-18-2008, 07:04 AM
I have NGE Death and Rebirth and End of Evangelion. I think I need to watch the rest of the series to make more sense of it, but it's pretty hard to follow as it is.

I have GitS 1 and 2, and most of SAC 1. I like this stuff.

I really like the Animatrix, though some of the shirts are better than others.

Other Anime that I have includes:

Blood: The Last Vampire
Ninja Scroll
Patlabour 1
Princess Monenoke

Heavy Metal was one of the shows that really started my interest in Adult oriented animation. I saw HM 2000, but don't own it yet. Wasn't as good as I was hoping although the soundtrack kicks a$$. Looks like they are trying for a third one that may be more in the style of the first.

I also have the Starship Troopers series.

I like almost all of the animated shows on regular TV. Futurama, Family Guy, American Dad, Drawn Together...

I think it's time to go on another hunt for some new animation, anybody have any suggestions, with a preference to more mature/adult work?

Seanohue
12-18-2008, 08:21 AM
For you guys watching NGE, I highly suggest you stop after 23. And if you want to be able to say "WTF did I just watch?", watch the End of Evangelion lol. IIRC, Death and Rebirth is just a recap of the series.

Kayaker, check out Gantz or Gungrave; themes are deeper and both are more "adult". Gungrave is the one with a story, but Gantz is just bad-ass and gory lol.

csbrewfisher
12-18-2008, 09:14 AM
You're no doubt familiar with rotoscoping. There are several full-length features that you might enjoy here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotoscope).

kayaker
12-18-2008, 01:04 PM
You're no doubt familiar with rotoscoping. There are several full-length features that you might enjoy here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotoscope).

Thanks for the link.

I have Lord of the Rings, Ralph Bakshi's work which is mostly roto. I've been tracking down some of his other work as well.

kayaker
12-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Kayaker, check out Gantz or Gungrave; themes are deeper and both are more "adult". Gungrave is the one with a story, but Gantz is just bad-ass and gory lol.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for them.

Seanohue
01-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Hellsing OVA 5 is out with English subs, for those interested :D

Starscream
01-06-2009, 03:42 PM

The old Superman cartoons were done by rotoscoping. Awesome work.

MadAl
01-06-2009, 04:16 PM
Old Disney is wonderful pre-60's even. Walter Lanz, Jay Ward, and the Warner Brother crew.

If you like early animation (Winsor McCay) check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvzAJouHh7k

Starscream
01-06-2009, 06:56 PM
Old Disney is wonderful pre-60's even. Walter Lanz, Jay Ward, and the Warner Brother crew.

If you like early animation (Winsor McCay) check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvzAJouHh7k
Nice link. :tu

foomanto
01-09-2009, 01:38 AM
heavy metal is awesome still love watching it. hm 2000 was ok if there doing a 3rd one ill watch it. the hobbit ,lord of the rings ,and return of the king are all good to.cartoon network and boomerang are probable the most watched channels at my house and its not because of the kids. if im the only one up 95% of the time the tv is playing cartoons. on saturday morning if im not at work its me and the kids on the couch watching cartoons together. they will probable grow out of it be for i do.

spawn was good old hbo series i think lasted 3 or 4 seasons
fist of the north star there's several different versions a friend had a subtitled version that was better than the dubbed one that i had.
akira
ghost in a shell
wizards haven't seen that in awhile think i have it on tape some where.
bleach love this show
ninja scroll that whole series was great
there are more that i like i just cant think of them now.

kayaker
01-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Hey Foo,

You like and remember a lot of the same stuff as I do.

Spawn went for 3 seasons and Todd keeps teasing us and dragging us on about the 4th.

Love the Punisher avatar.

Starscream
01-09-2009, 10:44 AM
He-Man
Transformers
Thundercats
Captain N: The Gamemaster

I loved all of these (still do).

Drazzil
01-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Two words for you folks. Cowboy Bebop.

Seanohue
01-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Two words for you folks. Cowboy Bebop.

Nuff said :tu

foomanto
01-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Hey Foo,

You like and remember a lot of the same stuff as I do.

Spawn went for 3 seasons and Todd keeps teasing us and dragging us on about the 4th.

Love the Punisher avatar.

thanks

i wish he would do another season.it seems like he can do so much more in a 30 min. show than he can in the books.

Starscream
01-09-2009, 09:45 PM
thanks

i wish he would do another season.it seems like he can do so much more in a 30 min. show than he can in the books.
That's an understatement. The first 40 issues of Spawn were about absolutely nothing. Don't get me wrong, I loved all of 'em, but they just seemed to be going nowhere.

foomanto
01-10-2009, 09:14 AM
That's an understatement. The first 40 issues of Spawn were about absolutely nothing. Don't get me wrong, I loved all of 'em, but they just seemed to be going nowhere.

there were some coo character and peaces of a story but yah they didn't seem to go anywhere. loved the book thou got the first 100 or so before i started missing issues.

Starscream
01-10-2009, 11:08 AM
there were some coo character and peaces of a story but yah they didn't seem to go anywhere. loved the book thou got the first 100 or so before i started missing issues.
The only one I remember disliking is the issue where McFarlane killed off Spawn just to let everyone know that he had complete creative control over his character. What was the point?

Metalnoise777
01-10-2009, 01:33 PM
I love anime and PIXAR stuff...a couple of my favorite animes are, the first Golgo 13 movie which I have yet to find a copy of although I do have the 2nd one...and all the bubblegum crisis series.
I think my fav PIXAR / disney is CARS but im also a nascar fan...I cant wait to get a blu ray player so I can get this on Blu ray.
And of course I cant forget anything southpark!

foomanto
01-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Golgo 13 i liked as well as the bubblegum crisis series there was also a series called guyver that was pretty cool then you cant forget roboteck, and the original gundom series.

alley00p
01-11-2009, 10:27 PM
I loved Heavy Metal, Spawn and all of Bashki's work...

I grew up watching the old Popeye (especially the roto-scope episodes), Warner Brothers and Tom & Jerry. One of my teachers in college was Ken Muse, who was one of the artists and animators on the old Tommy and Jerry toons.

Later Animations that I definately enjoyed were "Aahhh Real Monsters", "The Angry Beavers" and "Rosco's Modern Life" all which were on Nickelodeon and have disappeared from the air.

I do watch a lot of amine, but I can't really pick out any in particular.

:dance::dance::dance:

kayaker
01-14-2009, 03:59 PM
Some interesting things I have seen and almost forgot about:

Animatrix - Love the different stories in that world and the different styles in each story

Persepolis - a great auto-biographical story

Triplets of Belleville - Interesting story and quite funny, but great music on homemade instruments

Aeon Flux - This stuff was really weird the first time I saw it, but liked the messed up nature of it when I started watching it again

Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury - Also by Peter Chung of Aeon Flux, a neat tie in story

Ryan - a short computer animation about Canadian animator Ryan Larkin, messed up but quite cool. Larkin was nominated for an Academy Award in 1969 for Walking (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEY2Nf5ikww).

kayaker
01-14-2009, 04:06 PM
Other animation I remember from my youth (besides the usual stuff):

The Last Unicorn
The Phantom Tollbooth
Watership Down
Rock and Rule

There are a couple of others that I can't remember the names of. There was one about a statue of a prince and a bird that talked to each other. Very high on the morals that one. There was another about a baseball team that had to play against an alien team that kept cheating.

I also enjoyed RoboTech.

ActionAndy
01-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the link.

I have Lord of the Rings, Ralph Bakshi's work which is mostly roto. I've been tracking down some of his other work as well.

I love Wizards. I think Fire & Ice is Bakshi as well, though the style is inspired directly by Frazetta. I can't think of a better combination of talent. Brilliant animator and the best fantasy painter of all time. For a while Fire and Ice was packaged with a documentary about Frazetta, but I never managed to pick it up...

Obviously I like Thundercats. Voltron, original Transformers, MASK...

Anyone remember the Dinosaucers? I'm not sure if that one would stand the test of time.

I don't watch a lot of anime because I think a lot of it is just derivative. But there isn't enough you can say about how well done Akira was. I still watch that all the time. Ninja Scroll and Cowboy Bebop are good, as noted by other people. Princess Mononoke was kinda cool (but a little hippyish).

For a really interesting approach to animation check out A Scanner Darkly, starring Keanu Reeves and Robert Downey Jr. A lot of people are skeptical until they finally see it...Then again, the source material was written by Philip K Dick and he really didn't ever do anything that sucked.

here's a list of the Top 100 Animated Films (http://ofcs.rottentomatoes.com/pages/pr/top100animated).

kayaker
01-14-2009, 04:54 PM
For a really interesting approach to animation check out A Scanner Darkly, starring Keanu Reeves and Robert Downey Jr. A lot of people are skeptical until they finally see it...Then again, the source material was written by Philip K Dick and he really didn't ever do anything that sucked.

I have this one. Love PKD's work. Usually quite messed up, but a good read.
The stuff makes good movies too, even if they don't follow the writing too closely.

I want to check out Waking Life sometime too.

Thanks for the link.

Seanohue
01-14-2009, 10:15 PM
So, what'd you guys think of the Nnoitra/Zaraki fight :D

kayaker
01-15-2009, 01:05 AM
here's a list of the Top 100 Animated Films (http://ofcs.rottentomatoes.com/pages/pr/top100animated).

Here's another top 100 list (http://digitaldreamdoor.nutsie.com/pages/movie-pages/movie_animation.html) from 2008.

Here's a Top 50 list
(http://www.rottentomatoes.com/guides/best_animated_films/) from 2008. It goes through them one by one, which is slow and a little annoying, but provides more info about each film.

CHRONO14
01-17-2009, 08:00 AM
So, what'd you guys think of the Nnoitra/Zaraki fight :D

How could you not like that fight. Gotta love when Zaracki says that you hit harder when you use two hands on a sword. :hm Brilliant.:rolleyes:

kayaker
01-22-2009, 11:16 AM
I picked up Appleseed (2004) and Vexille the other day. I think I liked Vexille a bit more. The animation in Appleseed was interesting, it seemed like they were trying to recreate the feel of Rotoscoping a bit.

The CG in Vexille was good. Sometimes it felt like there could have been more life and reaction in Vexille's face, but I liked how they kept the background busy, like it usually would be in a live action film.

Both are welcome additions to my collection.

Mugen910
01-22-2009, 11:18 AM
I heard Hajime No Ippos started up again.....:dance:

kayaker
01-26-2009, 10:10 PM
I watched Afro Samurai: Resurrection today.

Anyone one watch this on a regular basis?

I thought it was OK, but I haven't watched the show and don't know all the background stuff.

Seanohue
01-28-2009, 04:55 PM
I watched Afro Samurai: Resurrection today.

Anyone one watch this on a regular basis?

I thought it was OK, but I haven't watched the show and don't know all the background stuff.

I've heard good things about the series, but I didn't know there was a movie.

foomanto
01-29-2009, 07:19 PM
the Afro Samurai movie is new, a way to rap up the series. both are good. it helps to have watched the series first for the back ground but a friend at work watched it and liked it even though he hadn't seen the series. i don't know if they're bringing it back for another season.

Seanohue
03-07-2009, 11:22 PM
Started watching s-Cry-ed (スクライド) over break. I'm about 20 episodes in and really like it lol. Its an older series, and its kind of generic, but its pretty exciting still.

Seanohue
04-02-2009, 12:32 PM
New Fullmetal Alchemist series starts this weekend :tu

Starscream
04-02-2009, 07:24 PM
I think Fire & Ice is Bakshi as well, though the style is inspired directly by Frazetta.

Fire and Ice was great!
Frazetta is Awesome!

kayaker
10-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Did anyone else see 9?

I thought it was pretty good. The short was cool too.

Anything else in the world of Animation that impressed you?

akumushi
10-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Venture Brothers is my favorite current cartoon, it's a satire of the old Johnny Quest universe and freaking hilarious. Futurama is a close second for American cartoons.
I watched a good deal of anime back in the day. I like all of the Studio Ghibli movies, with Nausicaa and Porco Rosso being my favorites. For anime series Cowboy Bebop is my favorite, followed by Neon Genesis Evangelion. I've seen enough of Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex to know that it is amazing. I'm definitely going to have to track that down and watch it all eventually.
When I was a kid I loved Pirates of Dark Water. I was really pissed that they cancelled that show and never finished the story. Voltron and speed racer got me into anime, and of course I had my fair share of Hanna Barbara and Looney Toons as a kid. Tex Avery was a genius.

ActionAndy
10-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Venture Brothers is my favorite current cartoon, it's a satire of the old Johnny Quest universe and freaking hilarious. Futurama is a close second for American cartoons.
I watched a good deal of anime back in the day. I like all of the Studio Ghibli movies, with Nausicaa and Porco Rosso being my favorites. For anime series Cowboy Bebop is my favorite, followed by Neon Genesis Evangelion. I've seen enough of Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex to know that it is amazing. I'm definitely going to have to track that down and watch it all eventually.
When I was a kid I loved Pirates of Dark Water. I was really pissed that they cancelled that show and never finished the story. Voltron and speed racer got me into anime, and of course I had my fair share of Hanna Barbara and Looney Toons as a kid. Tex Avery was a genius.

Venture Bros. really is great. One of the only consistently entertaining/clever shows on Adult Swim.

kayaker
11-12-2009, 08:06 AM
I just ordered all 3 seasons of Tripping the Rift, along with the movie.

I've only seen a show or two before, but it looks pretty cool and funny.

olla86
11-19-2009, 06:00 AM
I adore all cartoons of Disney but I like anime at the same time, Sailor Moon is my favourite!

blugill
11-22-2009, 08:53 AM
I love animated movies and series!
Adult Swim is my favorite vehicle for modern animation. Loved Home Movies and ATHF!
Venture Brothers is wonderful for irreverent animated humor. I have a hard time getting into anime though.

Cowboy Bebop was great but I wished it had been a bit more serialized instead of episodic.
I've seen Evangelion and it was cool until the final couple of episodes.
Love most of the Pixar stuff, didn't much care for Ratitoullie though, ok but not spectacular like Incredibles, Wall-E, or Up.
The Fleischer Supermans were a true masterpiece and I'm sad that there really won't be that kind of animation anymore.

Kreth
11-22-2009, 09:22 AM
Love most of the Pixar stuff, didn't much care for Ratitoullie though, ok but not spectacular like Incredibles, Wall-E, or Up.
I think the "kids' movies" got more palatable about when Aladdin and The Little Mermaid came out. Someone figured out that adults with kids were sitting through endless repetitions of these movies, and threw in some jokes for them. The different impressions the Genie does are a good example. What 5 yr old would get Ed Sullivan, or G. Gordon Liddy?
When my teenagers were little, I used to be able to do the dialog for those movies perfectly in sync, from another room. They had no problem watching them several times in a row, on days they were stuck inside. The only reprieve was the time it took to rewind the tape (a big advantage of VHS over DVD, IMO). :r
Posted via Mobile Device

kayaker
03-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Recently picked up Ghost in the Shell 2.0. It's the original movie with some of the animation reworked, as well as new scores and some new voice work from the original actors.

Also got Dante's Inferno, a movie based on the video game. It's ok.

Finally, have Ergo Proxy, an Anime series they call a mix between X-Files and BLade Runner. Have only watched part of 1 episode so far.

OLS
03-18-2010, 12:56 PM
Here is some of my older work, I am mainly doing insects now, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIvbgjrZ2HM&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/user/CajunAnimation#p/a/u/2/F8tdj0zGAWU

http://www.4shared.com/dir/34170686/a6fd6f5b/3D_animation.html

Maybe I should do more adult work, huh, lol.

Jbailey
03-18-2010, 01:16 PM
That's some good work Brad.

mariogolbee
03-18-2010, 01:18 PM
Third link came up as invalid.

OLS
03-18-2010, 01:21 PM
It's an AVI file, or maybe more likely the permissions for 4-shared are not allowing
you to view. I will Youtube my insect work tonight.

OLS
03-18-2010, 01:27 PM
That's some good work Brad.

Hehe, it's also my limit. If I have inanimate objects to model I can do it, cause it looks like
I WANT it to look. If people know how it is supposed to look, I am dead....like a human or
something. Machines and insects I can do. If there is an accepted look I HAVE TO HIT, I am
screwed. I have what you call 'just enough skills to be dangerous.'

mariogolbee
03-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Pretty darned cool regardless Brad.