PDA

View Full Version : Catastrophic cigar and humi loss...FML...

FUEL
05-19-2013, 10:06 AM
As some may have read I'm moving. I had my two humis specifically set aside in a hard sided duffel bag like suit case that was riding shotgun with me while moving to ensure safety. Folks came over, things moved fast and furious, and the bag ended up in the bed of a cousins truck. As we pulled out and got on to the highway he apparently didn't close the tail gate hard enough and out she flew in front of me. I swerved a 26' moving truck full packed to the gills and at full weight capacity to miss it but the rear left wheel clipped it. Sigh.

Before I start crying my eyes out, it fell down, went boom, shattered both 150 - 175 count humis and sent sticks everywhere. It rained last night so I salvaged what I could that didn't explode or end up soaking wet but lost about 4/5ths of what I had. Moving was not my choice, divorce cleaned me out and coupled with the cost of moving to a new place in and of itself not to mention all the BS costs like first, last months rent and security deposit I cannot afford buy a new humi and sure as f@ck cant afford to replace the sticks.

I figure its time to learn to make a coolidor so when I get to that point of being able to buy again I can spend the cash on sticks and not hardware.

So I have read up on making one but was looking for any additional input and thoughts if the below cooler would work. My biggest concern or question is how to humidify and being that its an "extreme" cooler. We used it camping and even in hot ass 95+ degree weeks and 100& humidity it would keep ice solid for over 3 days and not melt fully even in the hot summer for 6 days, so is it "too extreme" and how are the sticks going to breathe? Do I have to open it up a few times a month for a certain period of time? What is the most cost effective way to humidify until I can invest in quality beads or another method?

What a horse sh!t day, I'm so F'ing bummed and it makes unpacking all this sh!t that much more fun. Sorry for being a Debbie Downer. ;s

In the end I should just be thankful to God to have made the trek safe and have a roof over my head, food in my belly, family and friends at my side and have been blessed by God being almost 9 months newly sober and did not fall back on old "coping" habits of the bottle. He has given me strength to fight through that and I am still in a better situation than 99.999% of the world. Just poopy as cigars were my escape.

http://i.imgur.com/TigULPE.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Xv1nbLf.jpg

Thanks S/BOTL.
James

BHalbrooks
05-19-2013, 10:09 AM
That's completely awful James, went from a soup sandwhich to a **** sandwhich. I really hope that things get better for you soon.

I'm not sure if the "Extreme" cooler makes a difference, so I won't guess. Somebody will be alone shortly to answer.

Remo
05-19-2013, 10:23 AM
Wow, that sucks @ss!!! Sorry to hear. On the cooler thing I am not sure how air tight the "extreme" is but you maybe able to get away with a jar or two of gel and call it good. I used a cooler for a long time, it was not really airtight and used a few gel jars and it worked perfect.

FUEL
05-19-2013, 10:23 AM
That's completely awful James, went from a soup sandwhich to a **** sandwhich. I really hope that things get better for you soon.

I'm not sure if the "Extreme" cooler makes a difference, so I won't guess. Somebody will be alone shortly to answer.

I'm very resilient and will bounce back, and bounce back stronger and a better man and person for it. These things in life happen. Its like the old cliche goes, "Its not how many times and how hard you get knocked down, its how you get back up, and when knocked down again, you keep getting back up stronger and faster."

Its not a life altering event its just a huge downer as I've really grown over the years as a casual cigar person to a very deep lover and its the same as if I collected coins or beanie babies lol.

Thanks for the warm thoughts.

Remo
05-19-2013, 10:25 AM
I'm very resilient and will bounce back, and bounce back stronger and a better man and person for it. These things in life happen. Its like the old cliche goes, "Its not how many times and how hard you get knocked down, its how you get back up, and when knocked down again, you keep getting back up stronger and faster."

Its not a life altering event its just a huge downer as I've really grown over the years as a casual cigar person to a very deep lover and its the same as if I collected coins or beanie babies lol.

Thanks for the warm thoughts.

How is the Beanie Babie collection? Is that safe? :sl

FUEL
05-19-2013, 10:26 AM
Wow, that sucks @ss!!! Sorry to hear. On the cooler thing I am not sure how air tight the "extreme" is but you maybe able to get away with a jar or two of gel and call it good. I used a cooler for a long time, it was not really airtight and used a few gel jars and it worked perfect.

I'm unfamilar with "gel jars" can you link me to something?

I know how to clean it up, have old boxes to put the cigars in so they are neatly organized and can pick up the aroma of the boxes but the biggest point of confusion is the humidification and making sure its stable around 65%.

emopunker2004
05-19-2013, 10:26 AM

:r

FUEL
05-19-2013, 10:27 AM

Lol no I lost that too but the 40 Year Old Virgin "big box of p-ron" is safe thank heavens. I don't know what I would have done if I lost Ron Jeremy and Jenna Jameson on Beta Max tapes. :banger

Remo
05-19-2013, 10:28 AM

This is just one brand, many others....all the big retailers have some sort of Humi-Gel.

Remo
05-19-2013, 10:29 AM
Or grab a small bag of beads :sh

FUEL
05-19-2013, 10:30 AM

This is just one brand, many others....all the big retailers have some sort of Humi-Gel.

Ahh ok I know what you are talking about now. I had a few of those Xikar made. Not the best but I had not thought of that and can get the Xikar ones for free from a B&M I know.

TJarv
05-19-2013, 10:31 AM
I have a treasuredome humidor you can have if you pick up the shipping

Remo
05-19-2013, 10:31 AM
Ahh ok I know what you are talking about now. I had a few of those Xikar made. Not the best but I had not thought of that and can get the Xikar ones for free from a B&M I know.

They work pretty well in a confined space like a cooler, now an Aristocrat is a different story :r

FUEL
05-19-2013, 10:36 AM
And thankfully I didn't pull a Chevy Chase "Summer Vacation" and leave the dog leashed to the truck.

"Poor little guy. Probably kept up with you for a mile or so." "Here's the leash, sir. I'm going back to get the rest of the carcass off the road."

http://i.imgur.com/8GkW77t.jpg

Remo
05-19-2013, 10:56 AM

:tu

DAFU
05-19-2013, 11:55 AM
Sorry about your loss, I'm sure you will recover as strong as ever...............;s

On the Coolerdor situation I have used clear and unscented kitty litter beads in the past and have been able to maintain a steady 70% RH with them, no problem. Just make sure you monitor the RH for the first several days when you are adding water/beads until they have stabilized. The more sticks/cedar boxes in the cooler will the hasten the process. After that they should be good for months maintence free with occasional opening. You can google search for more info, but here is a prior comment from the CA forum:

Do a google search online for "Litter Pearls" cat litter. You will want the Litter Pearls Crystal Clear type, and not the fresh step. This comes in an eight pound bag for under $12, or a four pound bag for under $10 or so, and is exactly the same thing that Heartfelt beads are made from, silica sand and water. The Litter Pearls tend to be a little larger in diameter, but work just as well. My RH holds between 62-65.

Beware of the Exquisicat litter crystals. You have to find the ones without the blue deoderizing crystals in them, which is getting harder and harder to do. If you order online, make sure they are the ones without the blue crystals in them.

FUEL
05-19-2013, 11:56 AM

Very kind of you. You don't mean this one do you? http://www.cigarsinternational.com/humidors/39144/treasure-dome-humidor/

That is far too much I couldn't ask that of anyone but thank you for the generous offer.

TJarv
05-19-2013, 11:58 AM
Very kind of you. You don't mean this one do you? http://www.cigarsinternational.com/humidors/39144/treasure-dome-humidor/

That is far too much I couldn't ask that of anyone but thank you for the generous offer.

Yes that is it

It's sitting in a closet empty and unused. It has been for about 9 months.

mahtofire14
05-19-2013, 12:28 PM
Fuel sorry about your situation, that sucks big time. I have a large Rubbermaid storage bin that I use for my boxes. I believe it is 18 gallons (I think). Anyway, I use two of the large Xikar jars and they keep it right at 65% and I rarely have to use the solution to rejuvenate them. If you ever want to go to a B&M around the Twin Cities there are members that go to Burn in Burnsville and Goodfellas in Mahtomedi as well as Tobacco Grove in Maple Grove. Just give any of us a shout.

FUEL
05-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Fuel sorry about your situation, that sucks big time. I have a large Rubbermaid storage bin that I use for my boxes. I believe it is 18 gallons (I think). Anyway, I use two of the large Xikar jars and they keep it right at 65% and I rarely have to use the solution to rejuvenate them. If you ever want to go to a B&M around the Twin Cities there are members that go to Burn in Burnsville and Goodfellas in Mahtomedi as well as Tobacco Grove in Maple Grove. Just give any of us a shout.

I'd love that. My home B&M is Stogies on Grand as until today I lived in Woodbury. I am now in Brooklyn Park and am very familiar with TobaccoGrove. I hang out with Cole and Rick a few times a month at Fuegos. I've been to Burn a few times but never actually stayed to herf.

A friend and I took off June 13th from work to camp at TobaccoGrove early for the Liga Privada/Drew Estate event that Fabien is going to in attendance at lol. According to a TG person he is supposedly bringing "Everything he possibly can Liga Privada" to the event as TG is the only "authorized" LP retailer in the state. The Halfwheel Christmas party last winter was a blast.

Never been to Goodfellas.

http://i.imgur.com/ZVzRzAo.jpg

Lockspur
05-19-2013, 02:04 PM
James, you're keeping a very cool head during this whole process. And lord knows we've all been down a rocky road at some point in our lives.

I've got a Yukon humi from CI that's not being used. 50 count I think. Already seasoned. Yours. Just tell me where to send it.

FUEL
05-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Hmm. Well apparently today is a test from above about coping. I just got a text from my best friend from high school that a friend of ours we played football with was killed in the line of duty last night.

Stunned and speechless. Man...the world is a interesting place.

FUEL
05-19-2013, 02:23 PM
Well apologies in advance if I post whore a bit today to keep my mind straight as right now its just me and the weiner dog and she's a great listener but not much of a conversationalist.

BHalbrooks
05-19-2013, 02:24 PM
Well apologies in advance if I post whore a bit today to keep my mind straight as right now its just me and the weiner dog and she's a great listener but not much of a conversationalist.

As long as you contribute you don't have to apologize James

icehog3
05-19-2013, 04:06 PM
So sorry to hear about your friend, James.

kelmac07
05-19-2013, 04:28 PM
Very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend James.

BHalbrooks
05-19-2013, 04:31 PM
Hmm. Well apparently today is a test from above about coping. I just got a text from my best friend from high school that a friend of ours we played football with was killed in the line of duty last night.

Stunned and speechless. Man...the world is a interesting place.

I didn't even see this. I'm sorry man, that sucks.

big_jaygee
05-19-2013, 04:31 PM
sorry bout your friend James

Mattso3000
05-19-2013, 04:46 PM
Condolences on the loss of your friend.

My bro and I were both at the halfwheel christmas party at TG, too bad you weren't on CA yet. That was a good time, I think we left at 1 AM :r The first pic with the nub on the corn cob holder is my cigar. If you ever want to get together for a smoke, I am frequently at Burn.

FUEL
05-19-2013, 05:02 PM

My bro and I were both at the halfwheel christmas party at TG, too bad you weren't on CA yet. That was a good time, I think we left at 1 AM :r The first pic with the nub on the corn cob holder is my cigar. If you ever want to get together for a smoke, I am frequently at Burn.

Ha!!! I remember that picture being taken! We ended up at Fuegos in Minneapolis that night until about 4am. We left laughing that only idiots like us would be out till 4am, sober, and could get pulled over for erratic driving from being nicotine hammered! You obviously know Kole then I assume. The short bald guy in the pic with Brooks. He is a riot to hang out with and for as young as he is he's a freaking Encyclopedia Britannica of cigars and everything related to them.

Here is my public eMail if you want to shoot me your contact info. Its auto-forwarded to my private eMail. Sounds funny but as BHalbrooks knows, there is a rhyme behind the reason. jameswinters343@gmail.com

Thank you all for the kind words and your Brotherhood.

hotreds
05-19-2013, 05:28 PM
So sorry about your horrible recent times! Smokes CAN be replaced, friends cannot. I pray for God's Peace and Strength for all who love your friend in this time of mourning!

Stevez
05-19-2013, 06:00 PM
James, very sorry about your loss sir. Hang in there and congratulations on staying sober during it. Steve

T.G
05-19-2013, 06:08 PM

pnoon
05-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Sorry for your loss.

CigarNut
05-19-2013, 06:13 PM
I am sorry for the loss of your friend.

Sadden
05-19-2013, 08:24 PM
My condolences.

Keep up the positive attitude. You will be back on your feet soon enough.

maninblack
05-19-2013, 09:05 PM
Sorry for your Ioss brother. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. Hope it turns around foryou.

Remo
05-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Man James when it rains it pours, sorry to hear about your friend. Hang in there.

FUEL
05-19-2013, 10:15 PM
Sorry for your Ioss brother. Sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. Hope it turns around foryou.Thank you. It can and will turn around I have no doubts about that whatsoever. Just takes time and if there is anything I've learned in the last 18 - 24 months and newly sober is that it takes time, but its not always on your time table. There comes a point and time in life where you have to realize as much as we have free will, we don't, and a higher power sets us on the course we are on for a reason. The key is being able to let go and not always seeking the "why" behind it. Mindfulness. Yesterday is gone, tomorrow may never come and all we know is today, so live for today. :)

FUEL
05-20-2013, 01:58 AM
The worst part of learning these new coping skills is my inability to "let go" at night hence its a very dark place at 3am...going to a meeting just to feel like a human.

irratebass
05-20-2013, 04:20 AM
James, sorry about your friend and the loss of your stash, this was just recently posted, and it couldn't have come at a better time for you

http://cigarobsession.com/2013/05/18/how-to-build-a-cigar-coolidor/

Good luck man

czerbe
05-20-2013, 06:49 AM
Man James sorry to hear that, Hang tough brother God never closes a door without opening a Window!

Lockspur
05-20-2013, 07:59 AM
James, sorry about your friend and the loss of your stash, this was just recently posted, and it couldn't have come at a better time for you

Good luck man

I posted this a while back in the accessory forum:

Step 1: obtain cooler. 152quart Igloo can be had at Academy for $85

Step 2: Wipe down interior with rubbing alcohol, followed by a clean paper towel with distilled water.

Step 3: Let air dry 24 hours. Sunlight optional.

Step 4: Fill with cedar boxes (obtained from your local B&M or us). This will help with the plastic odor and help to aromatically season the box (worked for mine).

Step 5: Obtain humification beads. I'm a fan of Shilala Beads. Plus it's fun to say 5 times fast. ALWAYS buy more than the specs call for. If the calculations say buy 1 pound, buy 1.5.

Step 6: Obtain hygrometer. Calibrate it using these here instructions.

Step 7: Remove all boxes from cooler, place beads (65% recommended) and hygrometer in cooler.

Step 8: Close door.

Step 9: Leave door closed for a week. MINIMUM!

Step 10: After one week, open door to check hygrometer. You should be close to 65% if not right on it.

Step 11: Fill box with smokes...preferably in cedar boxes. Mainly because it smells amazing.

Step 12: Don't freak out if the hygrometer drops for a week. It will bounce back in time. If after a month, you find your readings are consistently low, follow the instructions sent with your beads to increase humidity.

Step 13: ???

Step 14: Profit!!

replicant_argent
05-20-2013, 08:38 AM
In step 9, are you accomplishing anything here? You can't season or stabilize plastic to a specific humidity. The air, certainly, but as soon as you open it, you have disrupted that. If the cedar boxes are in the cooler, they would absorb a certain amount of humidity.

FUEL
05-20-2013, 09:41 AM
Well a bit of an update. Some mis-information about his passing was spread. He did not die in the line of duty but rather very unforeseen I guess is how one might phrase it.

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/story/22294135/lino-lakes-mourns-loss-of-veteran-officer-who-died-at-hugo-restaurant

Either way very tragic and sad. I won't keep going with the "feelings" component of the thread as this isn't Oprah but yesterday is lingering heavy.

Lockspur
05-20-2013, 09:54 AM
In step 9, are you accomplishing anything here? You can't season or stabilize plastic to a specific humidity. The air, certainly, but as soon as you open it, you have disrupted that. If the cedar boxes are in the cooler, they would absorb a certain amount of humidity.

I was just following the directions that came with the beads. :D

FUEL
05-20-2013, 09:55 AM

Good luck manHa! Thanks for the link. I really do not like cigar video reviews but love Bryan. He cracks me up.

pektel
05-20-2013, 10:22 AM
Only way to go is up, brother. Hang in there.

FUEL
05-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Ok either I'm just that freaking out of it or their webpage sucks. With the Heartfelt beads am I correct in assuming you activate them with distilled water? How much? Is the indicator that they are needing to be recharged coming from your hygro?

My brain is all over the map I don't even remember how to calculate the freaking cubic feet or inches of the damn cooler. This is further down the road as not one, not two but three sincere BOTL here at CA have all sent me offers to provide me a humi so no I'm more or less just info seeking. I dont have the sticks for one now anyways.

pektel
05-20-2013, 11:21 AM
Ok either I'm just that freaking out of it or their webpage sucks. With the Heartfelt beads am I correct in assuming you activate them with distilled water? How much? Is the indicator that they are needing to be recharged coming from your hygro?

My brain is all over the map I don't even remember how to calculate the freaking cubic feet or inches of the damn cooler. This is further down the road as not one, not two but three sincere BOTL here at CA have all sent me offers to provide me a humi so no I'm more or less just info seeking. I dont have the sticks for one now anyways.

I use HCM beads. No "refilling", no using distilled water.

Either those or Boveda packs would be the way to go for you. :tu

CamoFlogged
05-20-2013, 11:35 AM

http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/faq.asp

You choose the RH you want, say 65% beads, you spritz some until they turn clear and you are good to go.

Super easy. You don't need additional hygro's or anything. Just give them a spritz when your RH goes down or get on a schedule. You will quickly learn how your humi reacts as there are many variables that determine RH.

FUEL
05-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Cooler is 24" long and 12" deep & 12" width.

FUEL
05-20-2013, 12:33 PM
So almost 2 cubic feet and a half pound according to their page is good for 2.5 cubic feet at 65% RH. Being .5 more cubic feet would you drop to the 60% RH beads?

Lockspur
05-20-2013, 12:35 PM
Cooler is 24" long and 12" deep & 12" width.

http://cigarbeads.com/faq.aspx

There's a calculator on that page.

So you have 3456 cubic inches, or 2 cubic feet.

You would need .4 pounds or 6.4 ounces. I would say round up to 1 pound and you're good to go.

FUEL
05-20-2013, 12:35 PM
I use HCM beads. No "refilling", no using distilled water.

Either those or Boveda packs would be the way to go for you. :tuGuessing that would take a butt load of packs and I'd rather invest in a solution that appears to be longer term than multiple bags every 2-3 months.Thanks for the input.

pektel
05-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Guessing that would take a butt load of packs and I'd rather invest in a solution that appears to be longer term than multiple bags every 2-3 months.Thanks for the input.

I know lots of guys who use Boveda in their tupperware. FWIW, I was suggesting it because of the easy, no-thought aspect of them, considering your post saying you didn't want to have to worry about extra stuff like recharging.

Which is also why I mentioned HCM beads. Simpler than heartfelt, and do not wear out or need replacing. More expensive than heartfelt, but well worth the investment.

www.hcmbeads.com

FUEL
05-20-2013, 12:51 PM
I know lots of guys who use Boveda in their tupperware. FWIW, I was suggesting it because of the easy, no-thought aspect of them, considering your post saying you didn't want to have to worry about extra stuff like recharging.

Which is also why I mentioned HCM beads. Simpler than heartfelt, and do not wear out or need replacing. More expensive than heartfelt, but well worth the investment.

www.hcmbeads.com

I appreciate that. I've gotten a few PMs about the HCM Beads since posting and read up on them and for a cooler they seem like the best option to me.

Thanks all for the input.