PDA

View Full Version : My cigars are boring..did I ruin them?

sevans105
05-14-2013, 01:33 AM
So, I kinda took a break from cigars for six months or so and just really started up again this last week. I've burned a good half dozen or so and they all just seem really flat and boring.

I've tried a Cohiba Sig VI, a JdN, a Perdomo, a 601 blue, a Gran Habano, an LFD chisel and they all are boring. No real good flavor notes, no spice really, just kinda blah. The JdN I had today was awful...very sour tasting.

Have I ruined my cigars over the winter? They stayed pretty constant humidity wise. 65-70 humidity with temps in the 60's (basement storage). I did notice a tiny bit of mold on a couple of sticks that were close to my humidification device but I pitched them and carefully checked the rest of my stash...pulled them all out, wiped down the interior with a mild alcohol solution, lightly sanded all my cedar trays to "refresh" them, then reseasoned my cabinet before returning them.

Is this a common thing with extended (some are 3 years old now-in my cabinet) storage? Is it just me needing to get back into it? They smell good, just don't taste good.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I need to send a package off to someone but if I've ruined them, I don't want to send crappy cigars.

pektel
05-14-2013, 02:09 AM
I want to say its you, not them. If they've been kept properly, no reason they would suddenly turn "flat" over the winter.

I don't smoke cigars in the winter up here, so my humi hadn't been opened in 6ish months either. Hell, my hygro even had some ungodly rh like 42% or something like that. Scared me for a few days, Til I remembered I don't trust hygros as far as my two year old can throw them. Calibrated the hygro, and I was a little under what I prefer (it was at 59%, I prefer 60-63%) but no harm, no foul.

My cigars taste "flat" to me when the rh gets above what I prefer. I suggest recalibrating your hygro(s), change batteries, and see where they are actually at. All the info you've given could be correct, but I'm guessing some calibration is in order.

Either that, or maybe it's just your palate. Could be a bunch if different things, as I've found that the onset of a cold, change in diet, higher stress levels, even missed vitamins can play a role in how my cigars taste.

Just my .02, and worth about as much.

pektel
05-14-2013, 02:18 AM
Also, since you mentioned slight mold on a few, I'd also suggest a fan or two for proper circulation. Last I remember reading, you have a rather large humi. Maybe grab a stick that's furthest from your humidification device, and see how that is?

What are you using for humidification? Just trying to get the info out there, so others who are more experienced than I can help diagnose. As I'm sure those questions will inevitably be asked anyways.

At least, that's what they'll ask in the morning. No idea why insomnia is rearing its ugly head for me tonight.

sevans105
05-14-2013, 02:32 AM
Further info, I have three fans running for circulation. I use a Hydra LG electronic humidification device. Always distilled water. I have a tall cabinet similar to this one http://www.cigarsinternational.com/humidors/38314/tower-of-power-humidor/ only with more shelves and less drawers. Cigars are on cedar trays for the most part, singled stacked. I have roughly 600 in there. I use three different hygrometers, top, middle, and bottom all of them electronic. I haven't changed the batteries or calibrated them recently, but they all measure within 3% of each other regularly. The top ( furthest from the Hydro system) measures a bit lower but only by a percent or two.

Weelok
05-14-2013, 02:46 AM
Some cigars just don't age very well. Or it's possible your tasting them better after your break? I think that in general Nicaraguan's mellow out with age and lose a lot of the pepper and spice. I like that in general since I like them in the Medium range. I've had some where a bitterness also pops up and the Nestor Miranda Special Select Rosado comes to mind when I say that. I recommend you smoke the top shelf cigars and see if your getting the same problem. If so, smoke bottom shelf and snag a good IPA.

T.G
05-14-2013, 07:17 AM
Flat, sour tasting, spots of mold... together, these all sound like "too moist" to me.:2

macsauce13
05-14-2013, 07:57 AM
Flat, sour tasting, spots of mold... together, these all sound like "too moist" to me.:2

Completely agree based solely on what I'm reading.

pnoon
05-14-2013, 07:58 AM
Further info, I have three fans running for circulation. I use a Hydra LG electronic humidification device. Always distilled water. I have a tall cabinet similar to this one http://www.cigarsinternational.com/humidors/38314/tower-of-power-humidor/ only with more shelves and less drawers. Cigars are on cedar trays for the most part, singled stacked. I have roughly 600 in there. I use three different hygrometers, top, middle, and bottom all of them electronic. I haven't changed the batteries or calibrated them recently, but they all measure within 3% of each other regularly. The top ( furthest from the Hydro system) measures a bit lower but only by a percent or two.

I'd start there.

equetefue
05-14-2013, 08:12 AM
Maybe too many fans running constant dried the wrappers.

sevans105
05-14-2013, 08:25 AM
Thanks....I will calibrate today. Ambient humidity is in the 40s today. I'll try dry boxing a couple as well. Hope that is the problem!

gbum
05-14-2013, 08:37 AM
try something that is not from your compartment... from b&m maybe... see weather it still taste flat or not... if not... then you know where to begin...

czerbe
05-14-2013, 08:38 AM
Best of Luck

SvilleKid
05-14-2013, 08:47 AM
try something that is not from your compartment... from b&m maybe... see weather it still taste flat or not... if not... then you know where to begin...

This was my first thought also! Best way to tell if it's you or your humidification.

sevans105
05-14-2013, 08:59 AM
No B&M's within an hour or so....downside of small town living...and I'm the only cigar guy around too. White owls and Swishers don't count.

Guess I could try one of those. ;)

SvilleKid
05-14-2013, 09:05 AM
No B&M's within an hour or so....downside of small town living...and I'm the only cigar guy around too. White owls and Swishers don't count.

That's definitely an option!!! Smoke one or two of those, then your stuff will take on a whole new dimension!!!!:D Understand the "Small town" problem!

Robulous78
05-14-2013, 09:43 AM
Sorry to hear your problem... but glad to see ya back Scott... :tu

Remo
05-14-2013, 10:00 AM
Good to "see" you back Scott, hopefully the sticks or your palate come back around :tu

Lockspur
05-14-2013, 10:03 AM
Echoing what Peter said. Hard to assess the situation without properly calibrated tools.

FUEL
05-14-2013, 10:10 AM
Beat me to it I was thinking the same as I had that happen a few weeks ago. Being caught up in life a humi was over humidified and went to a B&M that is known round these parts as having some pockets of lower humidity in a corner and picked up a few there and it was a 180 degree difference.

I have 10 sticks in an Illusione ~888~ box right now "dry boxing" and have a hygro in there as an experiment to see the daily changes.

FUEL
05-14-2013, 10:15 AM

Mssg me a list of a few sticks you want and I'll pop into a B&M here in the cities and send em out tomorrow and you'll have them by Friday to see.

Might sound funny but are you puffin too fast getting them too heated? I also found that when I really really want to savor a stick that's something "special" to make sure I'm very hydrated to open up all the taste buds in the mouth. I like to drink a few bottles of Power Aid Zero with the added electrolytes in it to really amp it up and again, might sound funny or over board, but try it and see what you think. -(P

Robulous78
05-14-2013, 10:19 AM
I second Jame's hydration advice... why I even know a guy that swears on cream soda and cigars... :rolleyes:

:lr LoL ZANE!!!! :lr

sevans105
05-14-2013, 10:30 AM
Mssg me a list of a few sticks you want and I'll pop into a B&M here in the cities and send em out tomorrow and you'll have them by Friday to see.

Might sound funny but are you puffin too fast getting them too heated? I also found that when I really really want to savor a stick that's something "special" to make sure I'm very hydrated to open up all the taste buds in the mouth. I like to drink a few bottles of Power Aid Zero with the added electrolytes in it to really amp it up and again, might sound funny or over board, but try it and see what you think. -(P

Appreciate the thought and offer, but so far I've kept my addy pretty quiet from the zombie hordes. :D.

I've got a couple Liga No. 9's dry boxing at the moment. I'll try one tonight and one tomorrow to see if it helps.

T.G
05-14-2013, 11:26 AM
Appreciate the thought and offer, but so far I've kept my addy pretty quiet from the zombie hordes. :D.

I've got a couple Liga No. 9's dry boxing at the moment. I'll try one tonight and one tomorrow to see if it helps.

If they were over humidified, depending on the severity and how long they remained in that condition, it could take much longer than a day for the tobacco deep into the core of the cigar to return to a more normal state.

FUEL
05-14-2013, 02:14 PM

I've got a couple Liga No. 9's dry boxing at the moment. I'll try one tonight and one tomorrow to see if it helps.No worries. Just looking to help a local BOTL. The offer stands...

sevans105
05-15-2013, 09:01 AM
So, a bit of an update. Calibrated the hygrometers. They were a bit off...-5% and the other was off by -6% so my humidity has been high, but not horrifically so. I've adjusted them and replaced in my cabinet which is now holding at 68% at the bottom and 66% at the top.

Oh for a further bit of info, the cabinet has been in my basement...temp is a pretty constant 65* down there.

Cross fingers that this will "heal" them!

T.G
05-15-2013, 09:22 AM
So, a bit of an update. Calibrated the hygrometers. They were a bit off...-5% and the other was off by -6% so my humidity has been high, but not horrifically so. I've adjusted them and replaced in my cabinet which is now holding at 68% at the bottom and 66% at the top.

Oh for a further bit of info, the cabinet has been in my basement...temp is a pretty constant 65* down there.

Cross fingers that this will "heal" them!
Give the cigars some time, it might take a month or two depending on how over humidified they were, but they should be fine, they are much more resilient than they are often given credit for.

sevans105
05-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Give the cigars some time, it might take a month or two depending on how over humidified they were, but they should be fine, they are much more resilient than they are often given credit for.

Yeah...I was afraid of that. Damn my impatience.

CI can deliver overnight, right? :D:D