PDA

View Full Version : Golf Balls - what do you play - where do you buy?

kgoings
04-17-2013, 01:04 PM
I know there was already a thread on Golf Balls, but I wanted a two fold thread...what do you play and where do you buy??

I have been playing Bridgestone E5's but I noticed the ball cover is soft and gets scratched up pretty easy.

I just bought two boxes of Srixon Q-Stars on GolfBalls.com. Not sure if its the best price, but it was cheaper than my local store and I got a hat and towel.

tsolomon
04-17-2013, 01:18 PM
I buy Nike Mojos for myself and Pinnacle Pink for my wife off of eBay with free shipping. You need to check to see if they are new as a lot of the offers are for used or seconds. I'm always checking at stores and Pro Shops for deals on these golf balls and buy them when I find a good price.

grateful1
04-17-2013, 01:39 PM
I've been working with the Callaway Hex Black.

Very nice.

Whatever you get.....see how they feel and react not only on the driver...but irons and especially 150yds and in!

macsauce13
04-17-2013, 01:50 PM
Taylormade Penta. Seriously good balls and hold up with the best of them.

Usually buy new off of eBay.

RevSmoke
04-17-2013, 01:55 PM
If one has an average of 95, does it matter that much what ball you play? Or, is it more important that you are confident whatever ball you play?

Robulous78
04-17-2013, 01:59 PM
I hardly ever play but when I do its with Titleist Pro V1X balls... Love em...

kgoings
04-17-2013, 02:01 PM
If one has an average of 95, does it matter that much what ball you play? Or, is it more important that you are confident whatever ball you play?

Most balls are designed for a particular swing speed. If your an average swing speed type of guy, or you might slice a little. Balls like ProV1's are not for you. Too much side spin will make your slice bigger.

Robulous78
04-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Most balls are designed for a particular swing speed. If your an average swing speed type of guy, or you might slice a little. Balls like ProV1's are not for you. Too much side spin will make your slice bigger.

Had no idea.... I am barely a novice in golf.... I just like to drink beer, drive the cart around, and smoke some gars... :lr

Maybe that is why I suck so bad... I'll gladly blame my balls from now on!!! :lr

mahtofire14
04-17-2013, 02:07 PM
First off I'm no pro golfer. I usually shoot mid 80's so keep this in mind. I used to play Callaway Warbirds, however I noticed that I couldn't ever keep the ball on the green. My friend who is a local pro told me I needed a softer ball. That's when I started using Bridgestone E5's.

I love these balls. They have a great soft feel and generate the perfect amount of spin for me. Not too much to exaggerate my "fade" on my drives, and enough to stop the ball within 4 ft of where it hits on the green. Very nice balls. I usually get them from Golfsmith at around $25/dozen. However they go on sale quite a bit for 19.99 at which I usually buy a couple boxes.

Robulous78
04-17-2013, 02:12 PM
I couldn't interest you in a few free sleeves of Pro V1's could I Pete? :lr

Robulous78
04-17-2013, 02:14 PM
I make it on the green twice a year if I am lucky... I have no real use for em...

kgoings
04-17-2013, 02:23 PM
First off I'm no pro golfer. I usually shoot mid 80's so keep this in mind. I used to play Callaway Warbirds, however I noticed that I couldn't ever keep the ball on the green. My friend who is a local pro told me I needed a softer ball. That's when I started using Bridgestone E5's.

I love these balls. They have a great soft feel and generate the perfect amount of spin for me. Not too much to exaggerate my "fade" on my drives, and enough to stop the ball within 4 ft of where it hits on the green. Very nice balls. I usually get them from Golfsmith at around $25/dozen. However they go on sale quite a bit for 19.99 at which I usually buy a couple boxes.

I really really like the E5's, they are the only ball I have ever gotten the ball to back spin on the green. But I am gonna give the Srixon's a try. I will let ya all know.

E.J.
04-17-2013, 02:26 PM
Bridgestone e6's... Buy at our local Golf Galaxy.

14holestogie
04-17-2013, 03:05 PM
My latest favorite is Titleist Velocity. Imperceptible difference (to me) from the Pro V1's at under $30 a dozen. You've seen me play, Kirk. I am average everything on my good days. :)
With all the balls I collect during the year, I rarely buy balls, but these I make an exception.

macsauce13
04-17-2013, 03:16 PM
My latest favorite is Titleist Velocity. Imperceptible difference (to me) from the Pro V1's at under $30 a dozen. You've seen me play, Kirk. I am average everything on my good days. :)
With all the balls I collect during the year, I rarely buy balls, but these I make an exception.

Forgot about these. Great balls. lol

BFallehy
04-17-2013, 04:09 PM
I go with the Bridgestone e6, not because of the special features. I shot my best round last month at 121, so I got them because of the Optic Orange color, finding my ball is a lot more important to me than getting it to spin right at this point. :r

In all seriousness though I like them a lot better than the pinnacles or srixans I have played with, they just fly straighter when I hit them right. I also get better distance and my short game has improved a ton. Not sure if that has anything to do with the ball or the fact I went from shooting 151 at the beginning of the season last year and now I am set to reach my goal of breaking 120.

But I do like the orange, they are easy to see and almost impossible to mistake for someone elses ball.

14holestogie
04-17-2013, 04:09 PM

Under $25/dozen at Carl's Golfland. They have pretty good prices on all your golfing needs.

http://www.carlsgolfland.com/shop/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CMHlvejc0rYCFc5cMgodbxcAOg

Mattso3000
04-17-2013, 04:39 PM
I hit whatever is on the buy one get one free sale at the Sports Authority down the road.

Black Coral
04-17-2013, 09:46 PM
Golf Gear USA

Www.golfgearusa.com

They have been great for new and recycled balls.

Milvel
06-28-2013, 10:46 AM
Calloway makes a solid product. I've stayed away from titleist since they quit making the belatta

Blak Smyth
06-28-2013, 11:55 AM
I was buying the Callaway Diablos ($19.99 box of 12 at Dicks) but after losing about 8 in a single round of golf I decided to buy even cheaper until I know what I am doing. I did notice that the cheap balls (Slazinger Raw Distance- 3 boxes of 12 for $25 at Dicks) will sometimes shred a little, never had that problem with the Diablos.

E.J.
06-28-2013, 07:27 PM
Still playing e6's

Cenookie
06-28-2013, 08:32 PM
The best ball for the buck has to be the MaxFli Noodle, Long&Soft. Great pop off the driver, and super feel around the green. I usually shoot low to mid 80's and was a Pro V1 player until 5 Yrs ago, tried a Noodle and never looked back. They are always on sale. Just my:2.

Stephen
06-29-2013, 11:17 PM
Haven't been able to play for the better part of two years due to all my ear problems, but during the week I'd always play Gamer V2's. My buddies would always chide me for playing with such a, "cheap" ball. Until they hit one, that is. I believe that they're only sold at Dick's now, or so I'm told. I will say that for tournaments and such I'd still play with V1x.

mahtofire14
06-29-2013, 11:51 PM
Haven't been able to play for the better part of two years due to all my ear problems, but during the week I'd always play Gamer V2's. My buddies would always chide me for playing with such a, "cheap" ball. Until they hit one, that is. I believe that they're only sold at Dick's now, or so I'm told. I will say that for tournaments and such I'd still play with V1x.

Definitely a solid ball for $15 a dozen. Very nice feel.

hammondc
07-02-2013, 06:19 AM
Titleist DT-SoLo or Maxfli Noodle.

DaBear
07-06-2013, 07:09 PM
My favorites are the Top Flite D2 Feels. I can shape shots with those suckers like nothing else. That said, I do enjoy mixing it up with Taylormade Burner TP Tours. Get a nice little added bonus on my drives with those bad boys.

Mr.Maduro
07-06-2013, 07:25 PM
When I play, (rarely) I love starting off with a sleeve of Titleist NXT Tours. After I lose those, I will play whatever random balls I have in my bag. Usually some kind of seconds of balls I've found.

MarkinAZ
07-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Its been a number of months, but I enjoy using the Noodle Long n Soft myself. Hits great off the driver, 3W, and hybrids, with nice amount of spin and checks on the green just fine from the irons.

When I find one (a Pro V1) hanging out by itself in the ruff or brush, this is another ball that I enjoy too...