PDA

View Full Version : Vitamix - Anyone into them?

mosesbotbol
04-05-2013, 05:32 AM
We recently bought a Vitamix 6300 and so far really digging it. Amazing how easy smoothies are to make and how little calories they have.

If you have been using one for a while, please share your tips and recipies.

Zane
04-05-2013, 05:37 AM
Bob (Chainsaw13) has one! Sounds cool. I know he does soups in them.

Chainsaw13
04-05-2013, 06:17 AM
I mostly use mine for making homemade peanut butter. Roast off 1lb of peanuts in a 425F oven for 16-18 minutes, stirring every 5-6 minutes to get an even roast. Let cool for a couple of minutes after taking out of the oven, then blend away. Takes about a minute for the smoothest PB youve ever had. Key is listening for the change in sound as it blends.

I have made soup a couple of times, using the recipes from the book that came with mine. Love being able to just dump everything in there and have hot soup in a matter of minutes.

Chainsaw13
04-05-2013, 06:47 AM
Another good drink to make is almond milk. I meant to make some last night to try and hone in on the right ratios. But with some simple flavorings, this sort of reminds me of Mexican horchata. This should get you started.

1c water
1/2c ice cubes
1/4c raw almonds
1/8tsp cinnamon
1/4tsp vanilla extract
4 drops liquid stevia

Blend until smooth.

mosesbotbol
04-05-2013, 10:27 AM
We've made almond milk a few times. It's best to soak the almonds overnight in lightly salted water. This morning we had a spinach with strawberry, almond milke, cucumber and something else smoothie for breakfast. Quite good and satisfying. Keep me going for 5 hours without wanting to eat anything else.

Blueface
04-05-2013, 10:29 AM
Wife is driving me nuts to get her one.
Just trying to justify the cost as this thing is a pretty buck.

mosesbotbol
04-05-2013, 10:31 AM
Wife is driving me nuts to get her one.
Just trying to justify the cost as this thing is a pretty buck.

Have to buy at Costco when they have a rep there. I saved $150 over buying on Amazon. Elys was driving me nuts with this too and I finally caved in. Actually, it's quite nice. So easy to make a smoothie, and quite cheap. Buy frozen fruit, freeze ripe bananas and you make $5 drink for 50 cents!

Chainsaw13
04-05-2013, 10:37 AM
I need to get back to making more smoothies. Great way to get even more fruits/veggies into the diet. I tried doing some kale smoothies when I first got it. You can't use a lot of that in the beginning. It's a really strong flavor and won't break down as easy as spinach.

T.G
04-05-2013, 12:05 PM
Anyone ever happen to have used both a Vitamix and a Blendtec? If so, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts comparing the two.

Remo
04-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Anyone ever happen to have used both a Vitamix and a Blendtec? If so, I'd be curious to hear your thoughts comparing the two.

We have the Blendtec which is awesome, but have not used the Vitamix so I can't compare but I doubt you could go wrong with either :tu

Chainsaw13
04-05-2013, 12:09 PM

Not me Adam. But I've heard the Blendtec's are another good choice and were on my radar. I ended up getting a killer deal on a closeout Vitamix which was hard to pass up.

themoneycollector
04-05-2013, 12:52 PM
I got a ninja blender after researching and wanting to get something to make healthy smoothies. It's not nearly as nice as a vitamix or blendtec, but you pay a fraction of the cost too. So I knew what I was getting myself into and have been pretty happy with it.

I made a smoothie the other day just winged it.

1 orange, whole, just peel off the outer layer and leave the pith
1 cup of baby spinach
2 peeled carrots
1/2 water
ice cubes

Makes a smoothie that tastes like orange juice but you're getting an extra 3 servings of veggies and even taking advantage of the nutrients in the orange pith. What I've noticed with these high end blenders is that you can extract more out of your ingredients. Like using avocados (whole, peel and seed too), cantaloupes (whole), strawberries (keep the green part on top), Oranges (pith and seeds), so you get even more nutrients than if you ate them and left those parts out. When they are blended, they don't affect the taste at all.

Chainsaw13
04-05-2013, 12:59 PM
Are you sure about the avocado seed? Seems like it might be a bit too hard. I won't try though myself, can't stand avocados. Upsets my stomach something fierce.

themoneycollector
04-05-2013, 01:23 PM
Are you sure about the avocado seed? Seems like it might be a bit too hard. I won't try though myself, can't stand avocados. Upsets my stomach something fierce.

Yep, some don't use the peel, but the seed is ok and high in fiber.

Another one is banana peels - add those into a smoothie, but make sure you buy organic ones.

Remo
04-05-2013, 01:41 PM
http://youtu.be/Ax2BOCoVDJk

Blueface
04-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Interesting article comparing the two, Blendtec and Vitamix.
http://smallapplianceshortcuts.com/blendtec-vs-vitamix-blender-comparison/

Chainsaw13
04-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Interesting article. My model Vitamix has three programs, plus the variable speeds.

T.G
04-05-2013, 02:30 PM
We have the Blendtec which is awesome, but have not used the Vitamix so I can't compare but I doubt you could go wrong with either :tu

Not me Adam. But I've heard the Blendtec's are another good choice and were on my radar. I ended up getting a killer deal on a closeout Vitamix which was hard to pass up.

Mike, Bob, can you think of any real shortcomings of the units you do have? Cavitation problems with lighter/thinner liquids? Any experience blending lots rehydrated seeds? (like from peppers). I'm looking to eliminate the step of a hand cranked food mill for some sauces.

Yep, some don't use the peel, but the seed is ok and high in fiber.

Wicker chairs are high in fiber too. Just saying. :D

Interesting article comparing the two, Blendtec and Vitamix.
http://smallapplianceshortcuts.com/blendtec-vs-vitamix-blender-comparison/

Thanks Carlos. I like the fact that the author of that article went and compared the specification differences between the two, but after reading it, I'm left wondering if the author has ever seen the operation of, let alone used either one of the blenders.

Remo
04-05-2013, 02:33 PM
I will say that the Blendtec must have quite a bit of liquid to get the job done or it just spins it's wheels (literally), hell my wife had trouble making ice cream the other night because it got too thick and wouldn't blend :sh

Chainsaw13
04-05-2013, 02:37 PM
Mike, Bob, can you think of any real shortcomings of the units you do have? Cavitation problems with lighter/thinner liquids? Any experience blending lots rehydrated seeds? (like from peppers). I'm looking to eliminate the step of a hand cranked food mill for some sauces.

Only regret so far is I don't have the counter space to leave it out all the time. It'd get more use that way. I've not made any lighter/thinner mixes in it so I can't comment on cavitation issues there.

I'll give it a shot this weekend with some rehydrated peppers this weekend to see how it performs. I'm guessing from the results I've seen with other things, those will get mixed up rather finely.

Remo
04-05-2013, 02:46 PM
All this talk made me hungry, just did this salsa.

Remo
04-05-2013, 02:46 PM

BradNC
04-05-2013, 02:55 PM
Same here. We love our Blendtec. Great machine and very powerful. We use it mainly for smoothies and made ice cream once using Blentec's recipe. Haven't tried making the butters yet.

Angry_Pirate
04-05-2013, 03:59 PM
I use our Vitamix daily for protein shakes. Originally got it for my wife to use but I use more than she does.

Chainsaw13
04-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Decided to give some dried chiles a try. Soaked 6 whole anchos in some hot water for 30 mins, including all the seeds and stems. Once rehydrated, into the blender jar with some of the soaking water. Started on low, let it go for a bit and went to a medium speed. Once all the big chunks were broken up, I let it rip on high. Blended for a total of maybe 1.5 mins. Then ran the purée thru my medium mesh sieve. This was all that was left. The purée is quite smooth.

Chainsaw13
04-05-2013, 04:07 PM
BTW, I have the Vitamix Pro 500 series model.

T.G
04-05-2013, 04:54 PM
Decided to give some dried chiles a try. Soaked 6 whole anchos in some hot water for 30 mins, including all the seeds and stems. Once rehydrated, into the blender jar with some of the soaking water. Started on low, let it go for a bit and went to a medium speed. Once all the big chunks were broken up, I let it rip on high. Blended for a total of maybe 1.5 mins. Then ran the purée thru my medium mesh sieve. This was all that was left. The purée is quite smooth.

Awesome. Thanks a bunch.

mosesbotbol
04-15-2013, 06:22 AM
Made up some cashew milk last week; it comes out a lot smoother than the almond milk and is quite lovely. Today's smoothie was cashew and coconut milk, frozen banana, 5 frozen strawberries, a touch of sugar and a little water. Great way to start the day.

Chainsaw13
04-15-2013, 08:38 AM
Hmm...cashew milk. Hadnt thought of that. and I happen to have some raw cashews at home.

Jefft72
04-15-2013, 08:57 AM
We have been making smoothies in a standard blender for about a year now. My wife is claiming that this "10 yr old" blender is quitting on us because it gets bogged down with a blender full of frozen fruit.

She is eyeing these fancy new blenders like the Vitamix and others in that class (Ninja, etc). We primarily use the blender for smoothies and it is good to hear that it does in fact work as advertised.

Perhaps I will cave in soon.

pektel
04-15-2013, 09:41 AM
Damnit. I knew I didn't want to read this thread. AT first, I thought "vitamix" was those premade vitamin packs a la GNC. Then I started reading, and started thinking "you know, I DO need a new blender." Now I have a refurbished Vitamix 7500 in my cart, with my pointer hovering over the "place order" button.

I mean, $399 IS a good deal for that machine, right?

Blueface
04-15-2013, 09:52 AM
I think I am tired of wife bugging me and as soon as I can get over some recent unexpected expenses, will concede to the force.

mosesbotbol
04-15-2013, 11:21 AM
Hmm...cashew milk. Hadnt thought of that. and I happen to have some raw cashews at home.

Soak the cashews for a couple of hours with a little salt and then blend. I end up adding more water.

Making a smoothie right now. Coconut & cashew milk, Avocado and Ice. I freeze shelled avocado halves. Works great.

Blueface
04-15-2013, 11:33 AM
I am thinking if I am going to give in, might as well go all the way.
Thinking of Professional 750.

Chainsaw13
04-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Damnit. I knew I didn't want to read this thread. AT first, I thought "vitamix" was those premade vitamin packs a la GNC. Then I started reading, and started thinking "you know, I DO need a new blender." Now I have a refurbished Vitamix 7500 in my cart, with my pointer hovering over the "place order" button.

I mean, $399 IS a good deal for that machine, right?

Depends on the model. New you should be able to find them close to that amount.

Chainsaw13
04-15-2013, 11:37 AM
I am thinking if I am going to give in, might as well go all the way.
Thinking of Professional 750.

Wow! That's got all the bells/whistles. I have the 500 and love it. The 750 looks like it has more presets, as well as the new shorter container.

Blueface
04-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Wow! That's got all the bells/whistles. I have the 500 and love it. The 750 looks like it has more presets, as well as the new shorter container.

After research and comparisons, I had the 500 in mind at first and then found some articles on the added features in the 750, like self cleaning and additional presets.
The lower and wider container is nice for below cabinet storage.
It's like $75 more.
While I still find this hard to justify, if being thrown in, might as well caugh up for the latest version.

pektel
04-15-2013, 12:03 PM
Depends on the model. New you should be able to find them close to that amount.

http://blenderreviews.us/vitamix/vitamix-7500/

Best price I could find for a new model was around $530. Granted, I didn't look very hard.

Blueface
04-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Is the professional 750 a different one from 7500 or are they playing with a zero?

pektel
04-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Only difference is the presets. 750 has them. 7500 doesn't.

Blueface
04-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Only difference is the presets. 750 has them. 7500 doesn't.

Why can't companies make a cheap one, a middle of the road one and an expensive one?:r

Oh, and name them that way too.

mosesbotbol
04-16-2013, 04:58 AM
The 6300 is the fancier one Costco offers when Vitamix is doing a show. The DVD that comes with is using the professional model (not sure which one). The only difference between the two is the housing is more plastic like while the pro is all metal housing.

6300 has the tall container which fits in my kitchen, but our cabinets are mounted higher than standard. I wanted ample room for the epresso machine at the time I mounted them.

themoneycollector
04-17-2013, 11:06 AM
OK I made a smoothie that didn't go well. :r:noon

2 carrots
1/2 c. frozen mango
1/2 c. orange juice
3 leeks (this is where I went wrong). Had this been kale or spinach I think this would have been a winner. Plus 3 was way too much.
ice cubes

I thought I had read that leeks were a good sub for leafy greens and boy was I wrong. It wasn't necessarily that bad. I think if I took out the fruit and made it a strictly veggie smoothie, I could have added garlic and tomatoes and it would have been great, like a V8 smoothie. I had never tried leeks in smoothies and thought the "onion"-y taste would get overpowered by the orange juice and mango - NOPE. But I hate onions, so my palate instantly pushes back on them.

mosesbotbol
04-17-2013, 12:21 PM
OK I made a smoothie that didn't go well. :r:noon

2 carrots
1/2 c. frozen mango
1/2 c. orange juice
3 leeks (this is where I went wrong). Had this been kale or spinach I think this would have been a winner. Plus 3 was way too much.
ice cubes

I thought I had read that leeks were a good sub for leafy greens and boy was I wrong. It wasn't necessarily that bad. I think if I took out the fruit and made it a strictly veggie smoothie, I could have added garlic and tomatoes and it would have been great, like a V8 smoothie. I had never tried leeks in smoothies and thought the "onion"-y taste would get overpowered by the orange juice and mango - NOPE. But I hate onions, so my palate instantly pushes back on them.

I used raw garlic (one clove) in my juicer once and that was a big time mistake. It was so strong it hurt drinking and I love garlic.

Ya, leaks are like onions, not something I would put in a smoothie. Beets on the other hand, yummmy. Just don't use more than half a beet per serving.

Chainsaw13
04-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Anyone else tried PB2 in their smoothies? PB2 is dehydrated peanut butter. They remove 85% of the fat. Yes, I know it's the good fat, but if you are watching calories this is a nice alternative.

Mr B
04-18-2013, 12:09 PM
I LOVE my Vitamixer. Use it every day. This guy has some good prices. I watch some of his gardening videos on youtube.

http://discountjuicers.com/vitamix.html

mosesbotbol
04-18-2013, 03:48 PM
I saw a recipe for "Nutella", hazelnut and cocoa spread without all the sugar and crazy oils that Nutella has.

I just adore Nutella, and can't wait to try it out!

Bax
04-18-2013, 04:12 PM
Have to buy at Costco when they have a rep there. I saved $150 over buying on Amazon. Elys was driving me nuts with this too and I finally caved in. Actually, it's quite nice. So easy to make a smoothie, and quite cheap. Buy frozen fruit, freeze ripe bananas and you make $5 drink for 50 cents!

Don't forget the Costco warranty. If the Vitamix breaks for some reason bring it back for a full refund! (Costco employee for 25 years, I have to plug the store ;) )

mosesbotbol
04-19-2013, 05:24 AM
Don't forget the Costco warranty. If the Vitamix breaks for some reason bring it back for a full refund! (Costco employee for 25 years, I have to plug the store ;) )

Costco said it was a 90 day return policy on Vitamix and 5 year manufacturer warranty. I love Costco in general, spend thousands a year there!

Blueface
08-15-2013, 07:52 PM
Finally did it.
A Professional 500 is on its way to pacify the better half.

BlackDog
08-15-2013, 08:48 PM
We own a Blendtec. I researched them both and came up with that they are both excellent. We simply got a better price on the Blendtec. Can't go wrong either way.

mosesbotbol
08-16-2013, 07:56 AM
We own a Blendtec. I researched them both and came up with that they are both excellent. We simply got a better price on the Blendtec. Can't go wrong either way.

A has the Blendtec and it's cool. For smoothies, the Vitamix is a little better due to the plunger. My buddy thinks his Blendtec is better...

Blueface
08-16-2013, 08:21 AM
Showed my wife this last night before ordering Vitamix. Didn't matter to her as she wanted what she wanted.
The much cheaper $150 blender was the overall winner.
Too funny if you ask me.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FkcgBwbE7nw

mosesbotbol
08-16-2013, 09:52 AM
Showed my wife this last night before ordering Vitamix. Didn't matter to her as she wanted what she wanted.
Too funny if you ask me.

I don't think they are good tests to get a sense of what the blenders can do. The plunger is critical for many applications in the Vitamix.

If you do go Vitamix route, get the one with presets.

Blueface
08-16-2013, 10:19 AM
I don't think they are good tests to get a sense of what the blenders can do. The plunger is critical for many applications in the Vitamix.

If you do go Vitamix route, get the one with presets.

Yup, got the Professional 500 with three presets and pulse.

mosesbotbol
08-16-2013, 01:47 PM
Yup, got the Professional 500 with three presets and pulse.

How do you like it? We buy frozen fruit and make our own nut milk. Been using frozen whole turmeric, about a .5" per smoothie for added health benefit.

Blueface
08-16-2013, 02:57 PM
How do you like it? We buy frozen fruit and make our own nut milk. Been using frozen whole turmeric, about a .5" per smoothie for added health benefit.

Picked it up via mail order.
Probably wont have it until sometime next week.

I better get use to what it makes fast as I think that is all she will feed me for a while.:r
Good thing I can always go outside and use my Weber.

Seamus
08-17-2013, 12:20 AM
Too funny if you ask me.

Have to call BS on that video. I've blended hundreds of whole apples with my Vitamix. Never once had an apple top left over.

Also.. if you can't blend an apple with a Vitamix or Blendtec in 5 minutes then you have much larger issues and probably shouldn't be reviewing anything.

Blueface
08-18-2013, 07:10 AM
That is how wife felt when I showed her the ninja infomercial that compared it to the Vitamix.

Just got shipping notice. Should be here my mid week.

BlackDog
08-18-2013, 07:27 AM
Drinking a breakfast smoothie now - strawberries, blueberries (frozen), banana, whey protien powder, strawberry keifer, and ice cubes.

I also make a green smoolthie - spinach, kale, cucumbers, ginger, lemon, whey protein powder, and ice cubes. It tastes like lemonade and is very healthy.

BlackDog
08-18-2013, 07:44 AM
Whoops, the green smoothie also has carrots. I knew I forgot something.

BlackDog
08-18-2013, 07:49 AM
Also.. if you can't blend an apple with a Vitamix or Blendtec in 5 minutes then you have much larger issues and probably shouldn't be reviewing anything.

Yeah something is wrong with that. Our Blendtec would turn an apple into sauce in a matter of seconds. I usually quarter the apple though and remove the seeds.

mosesbotbol
08-19-2013, 10:17 AM
Made almond milk last night. I take about 2 cups of raw almonds, soak them in salted water for several hours. Drain the water, put almonds in vitamix with about enough cold water and ice to double the volume in Vitamix. Added about 4-5 pitted dates for sweetness, a dash of cinnamon and vanilla extract. Add two cardamom pods. Blend on high until smooth, add water as needed.

It's best to add some ice in this as it'll get a little hot from spinning and you don't want the almonds to heat up at all.

Use some of the almond milk with water for quick snack. Really tasty!

*** Best to keep all raw nuts in freeze until you want to use them. They can be eaten right out of the freezer. Protects them from getting rancid. ***

Blueface
08-19-2013, 10:42 AM
Looks like ours gets here tomorrow.
I can already see a huge grocery bill tomorrow, followed by lots of noise in my kitchen, followed by more smoothies and soups than I can taste in one day and tell her how good they are, even if they aren't.:r
Can't wait.:dance:

mosesbotbol
08-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Looks like ours gets here tomorrow.
I can already see a huge grocery bill tomorrow, followed by lots of noise in my kitchen, followed by more smoothies and soups than I can taste in one day and tell her how good they are, even if they aren't.:r
Can't wait.:dance:

Costco and frozen fruit!

Blueface
08-24-2013, 06:56 AM
I should have seen this coming like a speeding locomotive.
Thought she would make me smoothies.
Turns out I made the mistake of helping her make one and now tells me I make them so good that I should make them for her.
And I thought I was the brains in this relationship.

mosesbotbol
08-24-2013, 10:22 AM
I'd assume make them myself and have it the way I want. Elys and I differ on what is an ideal smoothie. The frozen raw turmeric rocks in the smoothie; really adds some zip to the fruit with unquestioned health benefits of raw turmeric.

Blueface
08-25-2013, 11:30 AM
Made one today that reminded me of an orange cream sickle from my youth.

Took plain Greek yogurt, added vanilla extract, frozen bananas, fresh squeezed orange juice and all I can say is I thought I was drinking an orange cream sickle Ina smoothie form.

Going to pick up some kale and spinach to make some green ones.
I have been freezing fruit and plan on buying already frozen in the future. Does anyone know if I can also freeze kale and spinach or that has to be fresh?

Chainsaw13
08-25-2013, 11:33 AM
I'd think you could freeze the kale or spinach and it would be just fine. You're going to purée the heck out if it, so I don't see why you couldn't use frozen.

Blueface
09-07-2013, 07:56 AM
Went to the sort of "green" side today for the first time. Green only in the sense of using spinach and kale as the blueberries impacted the final color.

Used fresh baby spinach and kale and added almonds, flax seeds, ginger root, low fat yogurt and some fresh squeezed OJ.
Then threw in frozen strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, banana and papaya.

What a great drink.
We will definitely be doing that one again.

BTW, ruined my first tamper.
Was a bit sideways from making frozen cocktails for friends and forgot to use lid.

T.G
12-23-2013, 10:19 AM
A few weeks ago, I decided I finally needed something better and with a larger pitcher than the 17 year old Osterizer that I have, but, in my mind, I couldn't see paying $350-700 for a Vitamix. So, I picked up the Kitchen Aid Diamond w/ 60 oz pitcher at costco for $120 and decided to give it a try.

End result is that I now own a Vitamix 5200.

Blueface
12-23-2013, 11:37 AM
A few weeks ago, I decided I finally needed something better and with a larger pitcher than the 17 year old Osterizer that I have, but, in my mind, I couldn't see paying $350-700 for a Vitamix. So, I picked up the Kitchen Aid Diamond w/ 60 oz pitcher at costco for $120 and decided to give it a try.

End result is that I now own a Vitamix 5200.

:r

Congrats!!!

mosesbotbol
12-24-2013, 07:26 AM
:r

Congrats!!!

Yup... I told my friend to take off his skirt and just buy the Vitamix and shut up... He did so and is loving it. He has the short squat pitcher style. To me, I noticed a difference in how it makes a smoothie over the higher pitcher, but the Vitamix salesperson was not so quick to say they are different.

In the taller pitcher, I feel like it creates more vortex when spinning.

kelmac07
12-24-2013, 07:58 AM
Wife just bought me the Ninja Mega and I'm loving it.

Blak Smyth
12-27-2013, 06:23 AM
Wife just bought me the Ninja Mega and I'm loving it.

I just bought my wife a Ninja Ultima for Xmas, 2.5hp in a blender for half the price of the others out there... pure awesome.
Great reviews everywhere I looked. While not as nice as the Vitamix, it is said to keep up in performance aspects. Haven't used it yet though so who knows. I do know that my Osterizer was garbage at making fraps and smoothies.

Blueface
12-27-2013, 06:38 AM
I just bought my wife a Ninja Ultima for Xmas, 2.5hp in a blender for half the price of the others out there... pure awesome.
Great reviews everywhere I looked. While not as nice as the Vitamix, it is said to keep up in performance aspects. Haven't used it yet though so who knows. I do know that my Osterizer was garbage at making fraps and smoothies.

Guys,
Nothing wrong with the Ninja for the nitch it fills.
My son owns one and loves it.
However, he would love a Vitamix more,

While it appears the same, they are not.
The Vitamix is built solid as compared to the Ninja.
The Ninja clearly has less quality plastic parts.
The Ninja will not blend as smooth as the Vitamix.
The Ninja will not cook soup as the Vitamix will.
The container on the Vitamix is glass.
The lid on the Vitamix is better made and easier to use.

Again, not knocking it all. I frankly wanted a Ninja and save the extra money but in the end, wasn't worth hearing wife ***** (other word for complain) forever after. I really think the Ninja serves a great purpose but I assure you, the cost difference is for a very apparent reason.

Blak Smyth
12-27-2013, 07:00 AM
Guys,
Nothing wrong with the Ninja for the nitch it fills.
My son owns one and loves it.
However, he would love a Vitamix more,

While it appears the same, they are not.
The Vitamix is built solid as compared to the Ninja.
The Ninja clearly has less quality plastic parts.
The Ninja will not blend as smooth as the Vitamix.
The Ninja will not cook soup as the Vitamix will.
The container on the Vitamix is glass.
The lid on the Vitamix is better made and easier to use.

Again, not knocking it all. I frankly wanted a Ninja and save the extra money but in the end, wasn't worth hearing wife ***** (other word for complain) forever after. I really think the Ninja serves a great purpose but I assure you, the cost difference is for a very apparent reason.

I do wish the Ninja was all glass. For my budget and the wifes needs, the Ninja Ultima was the better fit. Not saying the Ninja is better, it is not.
Time will tell if I made the right choice, hoping I don't have to upgrade.

Reviews (Such as THIS (http://reviews.cnet.com/blenders-juicers/ninja-ultima-blender-bl810/4505-17881_7-35828619.html) one) made up my mind.

T.G
12-27-2013, 07:03 AM
The $150 KitchenAid Diamond I had bought also had great reviews.

While I didn't initially buy it to use it like a Vitamix, I ended up using it like one. Once I did, I found myself underwhelmed with it, so I returned it a week later and bought a 5200 instead ($379+tax at Costco).

I know, $350-700 for a blender seems nuts, but I couldn't be happier with the 5200. It's breezing through everything I've thrown at, or more correctly, in, it. The first time I ran it, my comment was "Holy shitballs! This thing is fast." It was done in 60 seconds with what would normally take 3-4 minutes in the KitchenAid.

After a few weeks of use, I can say that I have no remorse about the $400 I spent on this.

Blak Smyth
12-27-2013, 07:23 AM
The $150 KitchenAid Diamond I had bought also had great reviews.

General reviews would have not meant much to me but the review I linked tested it against the Vitamix. For very very light use with an occasional smoothie the Vitamix is clearly overkill for somebody such as myself. Do I wish I had one? Yes. Do I need one? I hope not... Maybe I will be back in here in six months raving about my new Vitamix.:r

T.G
12-27-2013, 09:08 AM
General reviews would have not meant much to me but the review I linked tested it against the Vitamix. For very very light use with an occasional smoothie the Vitamix is clearly overkill for somebody such as myself. Do I wish I had one? Yes. Do I need one? I hope not... Maybe I will be back in here in six months raving about my new Vitamix.:r

I wasn't talking about general reviews, IIRC, it was consumer reports, which is at the very least equal to Cnet, who rated the KA higher than the vitamix.

"or very very light use with an occasional smoothie the Vitamix is clearly overkill for somebody such as myself." Funny, that's almost exactly what I thought too when I bought the KA. Then I decided to test it out and see how well it did. I found that one - it didn't, two - that I actually could (did) use the appliance more than I had imagined I would.

mosesbotbol
12-27-2013, 09:43 AM

The problem is you do need that kind of power to make a smoothie. Tried many a-blender and they just don't cut it. I can carve a turkey with a butter knife, but it does not come out nearly as nice or as efficient as a chef's knife.

Similar to espresso machines; they just cost money and there's no way getting around it. Vitamix is a lifelong purchase, so think of it in the big picture.

Blak Smyth
12-27-2013, 10:29 AM
The problem is you do need that kind of power to make a smoothie. Tried many a-blender and they just don't cut it. I can carve a turkey with a butter knife, but it does not come out nearly as nice or as efficient as a chef's knife.

Similar to espresso machines; they just cost money and there's no way getting around it. Vitamix is a lifelong purchase, so think of it in the big picture.

Are you guys underestimating the Ultima? It has "that kind of power" :tu

Blueface
12-27-2013, 11:31 AM
Again, not knocking the Ninja as I was quite close to ordering it.
BUT, I think the Vitamix is similar to the it's just like like iPad, it's like a Ferrari, etc.
Unfortunately, they are not.
I really didn't understand it and wouldn't have understood it had my wife not busted my darn chops so much for a Vitamix. After owning it, whatever regrets I had over the cost have long subsided.
I think the ultimate example of just how good they are is as result how observant I have since become of blenders at bars. It is only now that I realize that no matter where I go that sells smoothies or frozen drinks, they use a Vitamix.

I really hope my posts are not taken as mine is bigger, better, etc. as that is not my intent as we all buy what out wallets will permit and what we see best for our needs.
Just my honest thoughts based on being very familiar with both units.

BTW, my son spent quite a bit of time explaining to me how his Ninja was no different than my Vitamix. I didn't say a word and brushed it off to his mom's lunacy. That was until the day he saw it in action. He learned the same lesson with the espresso coffee maker he bought compared to my Rancilio, for which I am very grateful to all on this board that steered me in that direction.

Blak Smyth
12-27-2013, 11:38 AM
Again, not knocking the Ninja as I was quite close to ordering it.
BUT, I think the Vitamix is similar to the it's just like like iPad, it's like a Ferrari, etc.
Unfortunately, they are not.
I really didn't understand it and wouldn't have understood it had my wife not busted my darn chops so much for a Vitamix. After owning it, whatever regrets I had over the cost have long subsided.
I think the ultimate example of just how good they are is as result how observant I have since become of blenders at bars. It is only now that I realize that no matter where I go that sells smoothies or frozen drinks, they use a Vitamix.

I really hope my posts are not taken as mine is bigger, better, etc. as that is not my intent as we all buy what out wallets will permit and what we see best for our needs.
Just my honest thoughts based on being very familiar with both units.

BTW, my son spent quite a bit of time explaining to me how his Ninja was no different than my Vitamix. I didn't say a word and brushed it off to his mom's lunacy. That was until the day he saw it in action. He learned the same lesson with the espresso coffee maker he bought compared to my Rancilio, for which I am very grateful to all on this board that steered me in that direction.

That was a good post! :tu I think all Vitamix owners are "mine is bigger", but for good reason.
Does your son have the Ultima or another model Ninja? What does he use it for? Just curious.
I know there is a big difference between the two I just hope that the Ultima will do good enough smoothies and fraps, I will have huge buyers remorse if not. Every other blender I have tried sucked at making fraps.

I KNOW the Vitamix would do anything without question, but I took a chance on this less expensive one. I already feel like I should have just waited and bought a Vitamix, now I just have to see if it will sufice.

I hope to contribute some frap recipes if the blender will work.

Chainsaw13
12-27-2013, 11:49 AM
The one drawback for me with the Ninja, and Shane correct me if I'm wrong, the multi blade setup doesn't come out. That's would be a royal pain for me as I use my VM for making peanut butter.

Blak Smyth
12-27-2013, 11:51 AM
The one drawback for me with the Ninja, and Shane correct me if I'm wrong, the multi blade setup doesn't come out. That's would be a royal pain for me as I use my VM for making peanut butter.

I will have to try it. I know it comes out but not certain it will work with it removed because I read somewhere the lid must be secured or the machine will shut off. How could that happen if the lids presence wasn't detected by applying pressure to the shaft? *thinking out loud.
I will get some feedback after a couple uses and tell you all what I think. I never considered making butter or soup, but I bet it is awesome.

Chainsaw13
12-27-2013, 11:56 AM
So it will come out after youre done mixing/grinding? If not, it would be difficult to get it all out.

Blak Smyth
12-27-2013, 11:57 AM
So it will come out after youre done mixing/grinding? If not, it would be difficult to get it all out.

Yes, it is definitley removable just not certain if it will operate while it is removed. It is just a solid shaft with blades on it that lifts right out.
I agree that would be a nightmare to empty and clean if not, plus a huge safety risk.
I wouldn't want to reach in around those blades.

I didn't know Vitamix was made in USA, assumed all mass produced electronics are made over seas these days.
Hell I would have saved for the Vitamix for that fact alone. Dayum I hate not supporting American companies when possible.

T.G
12-27-2013, 12:46 PM
I didn't know Vitamix was made in USA, assumed all mass produced electronics are made over seas these days.
Hell I would have saved for the Vitamix for that fact alone. Dayum I hate not supporting American companies when possible.

Not only made in the USA, but made with US made parts/materials. The KA I returned also touted "made in the USA" - until you read the fine print and found where it said "from imported parts". All they were doing was assembling it here, none of it was actually fabricated here. :td

shade
12-28-2013, 07:39 AM
I know, $350-700 for a blender seems nuts, but I couldn't be happier with the 5200.

After a few weeks of use, I can say that I have no remorse about the $400 I spent on this.

Just think about what you spend on cigars. Now that's nuts. :tu

Blak Smyth
01-07-2014, 12:05 PM
Well so far the Ultima has been making perfect smoothies and made a nice salsa.

Blueface
01-07-2014, 12:26 PM
Well so far the Ultima has been making perfect smoothies and made a nice salsa.

I was getting ready to be a smart a$$ and ask, but can it make soup?
Then I realized that not one freaking time since I have had my Vitmamix that my wife has made me one freaking soup.
And to think that is how she sold me on it.:r

T.G
01-07-2014, 12:34 PM
Then I realized that not one freaking time since I have had my Vitmamix that my wife has made me one freaking soup.

:r I was actually thinking about asking the same thing, but thought to myself "Nah, I'll keep quiet and I bet that Carlos will ask it and have more fun doing it."

BTW, your wife hasn't made me soup either, so don't feel so bad.

mosesbotbol
01-07-2014, 12:49 PM

Even better than soup is the Vitamix for hot chocolate.

100 gm. dark chocolate bar
Dash of vanilla
10 oz. of milk

put in Vitamix on soup setting; best hot chocolate you'll ever have! If I don't drink it all, I save it use a spoonful of it my coffee to make a "mocha".

Blak Smyth
01-07-2014, 01:23 PM
No soup for me :(

Moses, that hot chocolate sounds good. I could have sold my wife on the Vitamix if I knew that was possible.

Blueface
01-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Even better than soup is the Vitamix for hot chocolate.

100 gm. dark chocolate bar
Dash of vanilla
10 oz. of milk

put in Vitamix on soup setting; best hot chocolate you'll ever have! If I don't drink it all, I save it use a spoonful of it my coffee to make a "mocha".

Great recipe.
I will go ahead add a floater of Van Gough Chocolate flavored vodka to mine.

mosesbotbol
01-07-2014, 02:42 PM
The ratio of milk to chocolate is not engraved in stone, but I would only use dark chocolate.