PDA

View Full Version : Detailed Process on How to Revive old sticks

Milvel
04-04-2013, 01:09 PM
HELP!

I've been fortunate enough to get my hands on an old box of cigars that have been fairly well maintained over the years but seem to be a bit dry. I was talking to a buddy of mine and he said they can be saved via a slow process but I didn't take notes so I'm lost as to the best way to make this happen. Any help would be much appreciated!

cmitch
04-04-2013, 01:18 PM
There may be someone here who can help you with more info than I, but I tried to rehydrate some 2008 Cohiba Robustos a friend of mine neglected. It was sad to say the least. They ended up 'spongy', not really what you'd expect. They smoked 'okay' but for the trouble, I'll decline in the future. Hope you have good luck with yours. Unfortunately, once all the oils and moisture have evaporated, you're usually left with a hull.

SvilleKid
04-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Heck Chris.... Give them a try anyway. Many I've seen on CA give similar results as Clayton. But.... I figure that even a half gone CC is better than NO CC (but I'm a non-conformist anyway!)!!!

Basically, you will need to bring them back slowly inside a humidor (or any seal-able container) by keeping it at a humidity that starts at maybe 50 (if they are drier than that), and slowly over a couple weeks at a time, bring the humidity up 5 rh or so, until the storage unit stabilizes at a level you like to smoke at - I like 65%. Keep them rotated weekly or so to keep humidity from settling to the bottom of the sticks, and the bottom of the humidity vessel. Plan on it taking several months.

As to the final results, that will be up to you to judge. Worth the effort??? I think so. After all, it only takes a little time and distilled water, for a potential of a decent cigar at the end (or at least a cigar that was "free", and only cost you a little effort. One thing for sure..... Once you have gone thru the effort, you will have a greater appreciation of maintaining humidity for your regular stash!!!