PDA

View Full Version : Barefoot / Minimalist running

Commander Quan
03-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Anyone else into barefoot or minimalist running?

I had never been a runner, and still don't consider myself a good one but a couple years ago I started researching barefoot running and thought that it could be the solution to my problem. Ever since I was a teen I've had problems with my lower back. High impact activities like running made the disks in my lower back swell up and anytime I would run, the next day I could barely walk.

I wanted a pair of Five Fingers, but apparently my gorilla toes have separation anxiety and did not want to go into their appropriate places. I ended up with a pair of New Balance Minimus and have been loving them for the past 2 years.

Subvet642
03-15-2013, 01:00 PM
I'm usually barefooted sitting on my ass on the couch; that almost counts, doesn't it?

Commander Quan
03-15-2013, 01:19 PM
That sounds pretty minimalist.

Newge
04-12-2013, 09:17 AM
I do CrossFit and typically never run more than 3 miles at a time. All of my running is in a pair of New Balance Minimus Trail shoes. This is their version of the minimalist shoe. I went with these as opposed to five fingers because I wanted a real toe box. Other than Olympic lifts and squatting, all my other CrossFit activities are done in these shoes. My biggest piece of advice is if you decide to go to a minimalist shoe do so gradually. If you just throw a pair on and go out and run a few miles your legs are going to hurt like hell!

http://www.amazon.com/New-Balance-MT10-Minimus-Running/dp/B004KVA7T4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365779407&sr=8-1&keywords=minimus

Commander Quan
05-09-2013, 05:35 PM
While at the outdoor shop yesterday I decided to give the VFFs another try. Things went much better this time and I walked out with a new pair of Komodos. I'm running in an event this weekend so I'm not going to try running in them till next week, but I'll be wearing them around until then.

BHalbrooks
05-09-2013, 06:31 PM
I run with a bare of Nike Free's. They're literally the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn when running.

The Poet
05-10-2013, 07:34 AM
Like Darren, I do the absolute minimum running. If less is more, then none is all, right?

pektel
05-10-2013, 08:21 AM
I only run barefoot when I get a loud knock on my door in the middle of the night. The knock is normally followed by someone from some department yelling "search warrant" or something like that. Never stuck around long enough to hear them finish the phrase.

czerbe
05-10-2013, 08:48 AM
http://i1158.photobucket.com/albums/p601/czerbe/Landon%20and%20Family/IMAG1732_zpsf1da26bc.jpg (http://s1158.photobucket.com/user/czerbe/media/Landon%20and%20Family/IMAG1732_zpsf1da26bc.jpg.html)

I picked these up after Christmas and I use them for running and Cross Fit... although I have been out of the gym for over a month due to a back injury... :su But best workout shoe/running shoe ever!

Commander Quan
05-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Are those the road gloves?

I know a lot of people rave about the trail and road gloves, I've checked them out a couple times and was never that impressed, but I may have to give them a serious look once the Minimus' finally bite it.

billybarue
05-10-2013, 12:33 PM
I read "Born to Run" and became a believer. I got NB minimus and have have been easing into it the last couple months. So far no knee pain (from t bands) but I haven't begun running for speed yet. That is when the knee pain always started. Pulled calf last week and have been on bike and stepper only.

I am just concentrating running on my toes and staying off my heels and hoping form will follow function but I am wondering if I need to look into some more technique info. Maybe YouTube videos?

Read "Born to Run". I found it fascinating especially about the anthropological evidence.

czerbe
05-10-2013, 12:58 PM
Are those the road gloves?

I know a lot of people rave about the trail and road gloves, I've checked them out a couple times and was never that impressed, but I may have to give them a serious look once the Minimus' finally bite it.

Trail Gloves, its like wearing socks but a really firm sole. Best Gym/Running shoe I ever had!

Commander Quan
05-10-2013, 01:55 PM
I am just concentrating running on my toes and staying off my heels and hoping form will follow function but I am wondering if I need to look into some more technique info. Maybe YouTube videos?.

Check out some videos on Pose, and Chi running. I'm not completely convinced these are the best at least for me, especially the high kick back taught in the Pose method but if you can pick something up from them it may help.