PDA

View Full Version : I have a rookie question.

J Higgi
03-12-2013, 01:01 PM
Do you guys take your cigars out of the wrapper when you put them in your humidor or leave them wrapped up and im in a high humidity place right now and wanted to know a good way to bring down the humidity? Thanks for the help Jack

icehog3
03-12-2013, 01:02 PM
I leave 'em in....personal preference, keeps them from getting damaged in my singles drawer.

kelmac07
03-12-2013, 01:02 PM
Jack...it's a personal preference. If they come in cellophane, I leave them in the cellophane. The only thing I remove is if the stick is wrapped in cedar (Anejos for example). :2

bobarian
03-12-2013, 01:24 PM
The best way to lower and regulate humidity is to use humidification beads. Heartfeltindustries.com and shilalasbeads.com/ are both great.

I leave all my cigars as they came, with the exception of repacking some 25ct boxes into larger cab's. I prefer my cigars at 65% or lower Rh. :2

AdamJoshua
03-12-2013, 01:27 PM
I started taking them out because they "looked better" but then realized it's really not worth it, little bits of tabac and the chance of damaging a good stick quickly changed my mind.

@bobarian ... why didn't I ever think of that, repackaging boxes into cabs, see learn something new here every day, need to find the right cabs now.

Lockspur
03-12-2013, 01:58 PM
I agree with the people above this post.

I leave 'em in.

jjirons69
03-12-2013, 03:13 PM
In

Be Bob's post about beads. I have Heartfelt and they're rock solid with a little misting on occasion.

equetefue
03-12-2013, 03:37 PM
I personally leave them in cello

mad4maduro
03-12-2013, 03:50 PM
I leave 'em in....personal preference, keeps them from getting damaged in my singles drawer.

+1:banger

mad4maduro
03-12-2013, 03:52 PM
regarding lowering the humidity...I just prop the lid open for a bit and keep an eye on things....I use 65% beads and they do pretty well at keeping the humidity constant so it's not often an issue.

CJS
03-12-2013, 04:03 PM
Jack...it's a personal preference. If they come in cellophane, I leave them in the cellophane. The only thing I remove is if the stick is wrapped in cedar (Anejos for example). :2

Mac, any reason for removing the cedar? Or is it personal preference as well?

mahtofire14
03-12-2013, 04:03 PM
If they come with cello on I leave it on for the sole reason of protecting the stick.

kelmac07
03-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Mac, any reason for removing the cedar? Or is it personal preference as well?

I've had some bad luck with Anejos and mold forming under the cedar, only to be surprised when it's time to smoke them. To alleviate the problem, I remove the cedar.

mad4maduro
03-12-2013, 04:08 PM
I've had some bad luck with Anejos and mold forming under the cedar, only to be surprised when it's time to smoke them. To alleviate the problem, I remove the cedar.

interesting...i never thought of that being a possibility

Steve
03-12-2013, 04:22 PM
Yes

CJS
03-12-2013, 04:26 PM
I always remove the cello since I think cigars (and very much everything else) look ugly when wrapped in plastics :p

As for regulating humidity, I think beads are the best.

bobarian
03-12-2013, 05:00 PM
Just to clarify. Cellophane is NOT plastic! It is vegetable product and is air and moisture permeable, so it will allow your cigars to acclimate to the Rh of your humidor. :2

CJS
03-12-2013, 05:14 PM
Just to clarify. Cellophane is NOT plastic! It is vegetable product and is air and moisture permeable, so it will allow your cigars to acclimate to the Rh of your humidor. :2

Yup...I am aware of that. I remove them simply for aesthetic reason. I just love to see the cigars lining up neatly each time I open my humidor.

And yes, I am also aware that there's a clinical term that describes this condition that I have :r

Porch Dweller
03-12-2013, 06:35 PM
I used to unwrap them as they look better in the humidor "naked". After accidentally dinging the foot of a few of them I started leaving them in the cellophane for their protection.

pnoon
03-12-2013, 06:50 PM
I used to unwrap them as they look better in the humidor "naked". After accidentally dinging the foot of a few of them I started leaving them in the cellophane for their protection.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_baPSplXYBpk/S_KxmDKvxcI/AAAAAAAAA7U/xC5WmXkDFdY/s1600/topeka-bingo.jpg[

CigarNut
03-12-2013, 08:46 PM

I think this is one of those things you have to experience for yourself -- you take the cello off until you have a damaged cigar and then you leave it on after that. At least that's what happened to me.

Zane
03-12-2013, 08:48 PM
I think this is one of those things you have to experience for yourself -- you take the cello off until you have a damaged cigar and then you leave it on after that. At least that's what happened to me.

Same here. I figured I liked my cigars like I like my women....

Then I damaged one.

AdamJoshua
03-12-2013, 08:52 PM
OH and you can never have too many beads, ok maybe if they take up more room than your sticks, but more beads just mean your box will recover faster after you open it. I started with the Bol. Packs but then moved up to the beads because you have more control over RH% and you don't have to pay to replace them in a few months they last basically forever (disclaimer forever is a long time, but they last a really really long time)

mkarnold1
03-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Same here. I figured I liked my cigars like I like my women....

Then I damaged one.

Damaged a cigar? Or a woman? :r:r

J Higgi
03-12-2013, 11:39 PM
I guess I should be a little specific in my question, im deployed to Afghanistan and can't just go get beads (without having them shipped to me) so I was looking at a quick "home" remedy to bring down humidity. My humidor is at 80% RH.

T.G
03-13-2013, 12:04 AM
I guess I should be a little specific in my question, im deployed to Afghanistan and can't just go get beads (without having them shipped to me) so I was looking at a quick "home" remedy to bring down humidity. My humidor is at 80% RH.

First off, if you don't have a 2-way humidifier like hcm or heartfelt beads or bovedia packs, then remove the humidifier from the humidor.

If the ambient indoor RH is lower than 80%, then leave the humidor open for a bit.

You can also fill a small dish (depth isn't all that important, but exposed surface area is, so the wider the better) with uncooked plain dried white rice and place that in your humidor until the humidity drops. It might take some time and you might have to dry the rice in a low temp oven for 10-15 minutes to get it to suck up a lot of moisture.

J Higgi
03-13-2013, 12:30 AM
First off, if you don't have a 2-way humidifier like hcm or heartfelt beads or bovedia packs, then remove the humidifier from the humidor.

If the ambient indoor RH is lower than 80%, then leave the humidor open for a bit.

You can also fill a small dish (depth isn't all that important, but exposed surface area is, so the wider the better) with uncooked plain dried white rice and place that in your humidor until the humidity drops. It might take some time and you might have to dry the rice in a low temp oven for 10-15 minutes to get it to suck up a lot of moisture.

I do have a DryMista tube but I took that out a few days ago, im just in a very humid area. How hight can the RH get before I need to worry about mold?

T.G
03-13-2013, 12:50 AM
I do have a DryMista tube but I took that out a few days ago, im just in a very humid area. How hight can the RH get before I need to worry about mold?

Low-mid 70's.

xxx_busa
03-14-2013, 01:43 PM
50 % - 1/2 dozen to the other .... ME TOO

pnoon
03-14-2013, 02:40 PM
bishes

Mr. Grimes
06-24-2013, 01:44 PM
Until today I would unwrap my cigars foe ascetic purposes but the wisdom of the wiser statesmen has convinced me otherwise. I am now a changed man.
As for the extra humidity I've used the rice trick and it works. Too humid and smoking a cigar can be like smoking a brownie, to quote an unfortunate friend.

Jbailey
06-24-2013, 03:12 PM

I know there was one year 07-08 that they were wrapped and packaged still a little wet which caused the mold issues.

I think could easily happen to any cigar that gets packaged like the Anejos. I'm sure since its a high demand stick they do get rushed out to the consumer.

montecristo#2
06-24-2013, 03:39 PM
I know there was one year 07-08 that they were wrapped and packaged still a little wet which caused the mold issues.

I think could easily happen to any cigar that gets packaged like the Anejos. I'm sure since its a high demand stick they do get rushed out to the consumer.

I think that was the year they got stuck in shipping as well. So they sat a lot longer than they usually do at higher temperatures.

Sweet_Leaf_PDX
06-24-2013, 04:04 PM
I leave my cigars in the cellophane; added piece of mind that they are less likely to get damaged. I also like them in the cellophane for transportation; I don’t use a Herf-a-dor for short trips from my house directly to a smoking spot, and usually just put my sticks in a ziplock bag.

MUNKY
06-24-2013, 10:46 PM
Yup...I am aware of that. I remove them simply for aesthetic reason. I just love to see the cigars lining up neatly each time I open my humidor.

And yes, I am also aware that there's a clinical term that describes this condition that I have :r

Omg that's awesome, totally the same lol