PDA

View Full Version : Tar. Why does it vary so much from stick to stick?

Thrak
03-10-2013, 04:08 PM
I had a DPG Blue today. I've had many of these before. This one however had SOO MUCH TAR coming out that I had to stop and get a paper towel to wipe it out. I used a punch, like I usually do, and cant remember any other cigar being this bad. It was kinda gross!! lol... I'm just glad it never hit my tongue!

BUT, why do some cigars have a lot of tar seep out, and some seemingly have none? Especially in the same line, I find this odd...

After a wipe and purge it was back to being tasty though. :D

Sadden
03-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Recently had this happen. Buddy and i were sitting and having a RYJ habana reserve. Both were smoking sticks that were side by side in the box. His tarred off and got chucked. Mine was fine.

RevSmoke
03-11-2013, 12:16 AM
I must admit, in 33+ years, I have never had this happen to a stick. I have seen pictures of it though.

mahtofire14
03-11-2013, 01:39 AM
I have noticed this on occasion but for me it's purely random. However I have had it happen more when using a punch cutter. My reasoning for this is that only the middle of the cap gets punched out leaving a curved edge which the smoke bunches up on and produces more tar. Not sure if this is a correct theory but it seems possible. Also I have noticed that if you get a lot of saliva on the cigar it tends to get tarry. These are just my experiences and I would assume there are more scientific answers out there.

Zane
03-11-2013, 03:16 AM
I must admit, in 33+ years, I have never had this happen to a stick. I have seen pictures of it though.

Haven't been smoking nearly as long but I to have yet to experience it.

kelmac07
03-11-2013, 04:50 AM
I've only ever had this happen when I punch a stick. Hence the reason I use my Palio or X8 now.

dave
03-11-2013, 07:28 AM
You can increase your odds of experiencing the tarring by:

Smoking faster (hotter)
Punching
Smoking smaller RG's

I used to toss a stick that started tarring. But, I've experienced it a number of times and now, if my mouth isn't totally fouled and ruined for next hour or more, I simply cut an additional 1/8"-3/16" and continue. Never had one tar up a second time and the tar seems to develop only right at the very end of the head.

CigarNut
03-11-2013, 07:47 AM
I've only ever had this happen when I punch a stick. Hence the reason I use my Palio or X8 now.
Same for me.

Big Maduro
03-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Interesting, I've had this happen from time to time where I've had to recut the cigar.

stearns
03-11-2013, 11:04 AM
this happens to me every now and again, can't seem to determine one sole cause of it. I always chalk it up to being a hand made product and reclip. it can definitely ruin a good smoke, especially if you start getting it on your lips/tongue

jjirons69
03-11-2013, 12:14 PM
Twice this week, once with an NC and once with a CC. Plus I've had it happen multiple times over the past years. This weekend I had a big tar experience with an 09 HdM Gourmet. It was clipped, not punched. The tar-soaked end was clipped off and everything ended up well. There was enough tar oozing out the end that a paper towel wouldn't clear it up. The end was truly soaked.

I usually know it's happening when I get a distinctive bitter flavor on my lips and usually past the half way point. I don't smoke fast at all and I don't chew or over-wet the end of my cigars. I've had it happen on my favorite sticks (MdO No.3) a couple of times, with a random stick out of a box where none of the others have any tar build up. I attribute it to the leaf used to roll said cigar. It seems to be more random than anything else. I've also had it happen to punched and clipped sticks. Never have used a V cut.

It is mess and will clog your smoke.

AdamJoshua
03-11-2013, 09:30 PM
Never had this happen, when people say it happens are you talking about stronger more full bodied smokes? I tend to go with mild/medium CCs and haven't even been close to this happening, maybe I need to smoke more :r

CJS
03-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Happened to me last weekend. I bought a box of 10 of Monte#2 dated May-12, rested them for about a month in my desktop humidor that maintains 65-68 RH.

A buddy of mine dropped by and we both smoked one of those. He cut about 1/4in of the cap; while I cut mine 3/8in.
He smoked faster than I did...and yet I was the one ended with tar oozing out about halfway down. That was the first time it ever happened to me. I clipped another 1/8in off but after several puffs, tar started to oozes out again that I had to put it down.

dwoodward
03-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Never had this happen to me. Sounds disgusting lol.