PDA

View Full Version : GARMIN nav no longer lists tobacco shops

cmitch
03-04-2013, 08:19 AM
We got our new Garmin Navigation last year. I realized I could no longer type in the search 'cigars' and get any results. The old GARMIN works beautifully. I can type in 'Cigars' and it will find shops as far as 200 miles away. The new one has the hourglass icon that constantly spins and never locates anything. Anyone else noticed this?

icehog3
03-04-2013, 08:27 AM
Nope....political correctness gone mad?

Remo
03-04-2013, 08:32 AM
Screw them then!!

tsolomon
03-04-2013, 10:15 AM
What happens when you search by name for a specific shop?

cmitch
03-04-2013, 10:16 AM
We tried it on my Mother-in-law's Garmin that she got about the same time. Same thing. Won't even find tobacco discount stores where the old one does.

cmitch
03-04-2013, 10:18 AM
What happens when you search by name for a specific shop?
Same thing. NOTHING. You can type in the shop name in the old one and it'll find it. I typed in Bellemeade Cigars, Little Havana, Uptown Smoke Shop all in the old Garmin and it found them. Did this in the 'new' one, nothing. Just spinning hourglass. Type in address and it'll take you there but no name.

T.G
03-04-2013, 10:39 AM
Have you updated the maps from their website? I seem to vaguely recall that my Garmin from a few years ago (I don't remember the model # offhand) couldn't find much of anything by name except emergency services until I did the initial update. I don't know if this behavior is model specific or not though.

Blak Smyth
03-04-2013, 10:46 AM
My Garmin does this for about anything I look for. I don't use it anymore.

RevSmoke
03-04-2013, 12:19 PM
Have you written and e-mail to Garmin and asked about it?

cmitch
03-04-2013, 12:50 PM
This Garmin has one update that needs to be done. The old one is about 5 to 6 generations back. The old one will find all tobacco shops and cigar shops that were in existence in '06. The new Garmin I have we got in Jan. '12 and if it's tobacco related, nothing. It'll find all the bars you want, though.

RevSmoke
03-04-2013, 01:24 PM
This Garmin has one update that needs to be done. The old one is about 5 to 6 generations back. The old one will find all tobacco shops and cigar shops that were in existence in '06. The new Garmin I have we got in Jan. '12 and if it's tobacco related, nothing. It'll find all the bars you want, though.

I'd still pose my question to Garmin, is it on purpose?

CigarNut
03-04-2013, 01:33 PM
I have not checked my Garmin but I will in the next day or two. I still use mine regularly as standalone GPS devices can be used legally while driving (in Oregon and Washington; California too, I belive) while cell phones cannot -- even for mapping and with hands-free unit. (the only legal thing you can do with your cell phone will driving is talk -- provided you have a hands-free unit -- meaning more than just a headset/microphone -- it has to have voice recognition).

It's a stupid distincition but one that our State (and others) have made.

tsolomon
03-04-2013, 04:05 PM
I have an older Garmin that I updated in October and it finds both cigars and tobacco. I know Garmin uses Navteq maps, but I don't know where they get their business info from.

markem
03-04-2013, 04:05 PM
They are sensitive to map errors. You can use this form to submit an error.

https://my.garmin.com/mapErrors/report.faces?utm_source=garmin&utm_medium=webpage&utm_content=support&utm_campaign=error-report