PDA

View Full Version : Wrapper Splitting

JJKJR
03-04-2013, 07:53 AM
Recently recovered from a beetle issue. Did the freezer, followed by the refrigerator and finally the humidor for 2 weeks. Yesterday I smoked a stick and as it smoked, the wrapper ahead of the ash split apart. Could that be as a result of what I had to do with my cigars to treat the beetles? Maybe this is a single event but if not , what should I do for the remainder of my cigars? My initial thought is to increase the humidity. Any thoughts? Thanks

Zane
03-04-2013, 07:58 AM
From what I have read it can happen due to a drastic change in humidity. Like if you smoke it outside in zero humidity etc.

JJKJR
03-04-2013, 08:29 AM
Zane, interesting that you mention that. I live in Florida and we have been having a bit of a cold spell with uncharacteristic very low humidity.

Big Maduro
03-04-2013, 08:40 AM
I had a thread on the subject. The general consensus was a big change in temp. and humidity. Of course I'm in Ohio.

CoffeeWaterBeer
03-04-2013, 08:45 AM
it happens to me in cold weather when going from humi to outside.

JJKJR
03-04-2013, 11:23 AM
So I'm guessing my thoughts to increase the humidity is wrong? That could possibly make things even worse. Could you prior to smoking in a low humidity condition, take the cigar out of the humidor for a day so that the wrapper could get used to the lower humidity levels?

Zane
03-05-2013, 01:46 PM
So I'm guessing my thoughts to increase the humidity is wrong? That could possibly make things even worse. Could you prior to smoking in a low humidity condition, take the cigar out of the humidor for a day so that the wrapper could get used to the lower humidity levels?

Dry boxing the cigar might help.

FreakShow
03-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Had this issue yesterday where the wrapper split completely off the binder. Luckily today I'm not having the same issue.

longknocker
03-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Like Zane, Above, Said, Dry boxing Might Help. I Always Have This Problem When Smoking In Our "Mobile" Winters When The Humidity Is 10% & Temp. Is 30* Compared To Our Usual 90* & 90-100% Humidity In The Summer. I Usually Just Smoke More Maduros & Thicker Wrapper Cigars. They Seem To Be More Resistant To Temp & Humidity Changes.:tu :2

Garbandz
03-06-2013, 12:13 PM
moisten the wrapper before you light it,gives it a chance to loosen up.There is a thread here about wetting wrappers,good reading...........