PDA

View Full Version : Seeking advice about cigar shops

Sime83
03-02-2013, 10:47 AM
Hi everyone, this is my first post on here.

I'm fairly new to cigars, I've learnt lots by reading this forum and watching YouTube and so on. I'm only just starting to get into the different flavors and tastes of cigars as I now know how to light and smoke them properly to get the most out of them (it's amazing what a difference it makes)

I'm in Amsterdam in a few weeks and I've looked on the internet and found some good cigar shops I'd like to visit. I'm just wondering what the correct "procedure" is when going in. I don't want to look like a complete amateur in there haha. Can you explain to someone what flavors you like and what you prefer and then they make suggestions? Or do you just go in and try to find something you like the looks of?

If anyone has experience of Amsterdam shops it would be great to hear from you, as well as what sort of prices I would be looking to pay for something decent but not too expensive.

I've had some horrible cigars and some that I really like to I'd like to get something I'll enjoy rather than go in blind so to speak.

many thanks,
Simon

Remo
03-02-2013, 10:53 AM
Welcome, we have a few members in the Netherlands that can hopefully answer your questions, enjoy the ride!

Bleez
03-02-2013, 09:02 PM
I look like an amateur every time I go in a smoke shop. My eyes water at the joyous occasion, my eyes bulge out as well, I look like a kid in a candy shop and I peruse for way too long...Welcome to your new addiction!!!

chippewastud79
03-02-2013, 09:18 PM
You won't know what you like until you smoke it. Everyone has different tastes. Until you smoke it, you won't know if you like it. As a newb, you should try everything you can get your hands on :2

AdamJoshua
03-02-2013, 09:24 PM
As a lot of people pointed out buying samplers online etc., is a good thing, gives you a chance to buy an assortment and try one of each, they are usually fairly cheap as well so if you get a stick you just don't like at all it's not a huge waste of cash.

I've found most B&M guys (and gals) are really helpful, just tell them what you like and they'll usually point you to a few different sticks that they think you'd enjoy and tell you about them, it's a great way to learn, don't feel bad about being a noob we all are to some degree.

DaBear
03-03-2013, 07:16 AM
As a lot of people pointed out buying samplers online etc., is a good thing, gives you a chance to buy an assortment and try one of each, they are usually fairly cheap as well so if you get a stick you just don't like at all it's not a huge waste of cash.

I've found most B&M guys (and gals) are really helpful, just tell them what you like and they'll usually point you to a few different sticks that they think you'd enjoy and tell you about them, it's a great way to learn, don't feel bad about being a noob we all are to some degree.

^This

As someone who works at a B&M, I'm always happy to share my knowledge with anyone whos willing to learn. Plus, I get a kick out of peoples reactions when a 22 year old knows as much as I do about cigars :r

Garbandz
03-03-2013, 07:05 PM
Look up Don Fernando on this forum,he lives in Amsterdam......