PDA

View Full Version : hollow shafts

ApexAZ
02-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Seems like over the past several months I run into a problem where hollow shafts randomly occur in the center of my cigar. When I look at the cherry, there it's a hole as if i had used a poker or something. This makes it hard to draw, but will usually correct itself after a half inch or so.

This doesn't seem to be limited to any one brand, so was there an industry shift to some rolling standard that is susceptible to this, or am I somehow just smoking differently than before? Does anyone else have this problem?

sikk50
02-26-2013, 01:34 PM
Any signs of beetle holes on the wrappers or droppings in your humidor?

That would probably be the most extreme answer.

In all probability, they're probably just caused from the bunching of the leaf during rolling. Were dealing with natural and flawed materials rolled by humans. Imperfections are common.

ApexAZ
02-26-2013, 03:39 PM
No, I don't think it's beetles. There is no evidence of beetles and I purchase from several sources and experience this across the board.

The only thing I can think of is hollow space from entubado type rolling? The thing is that this is a somewhat new phenomenon for me. It happens like 1 in every 3 cigars, wheras it never happened at all before. I just wonder if I'm trying to smoke too fast, or what. I was just curious if anyone else experiences it. I'll try and take a photo the next time it happens.

sikk50
02-26-2013, 04:14 PM
I could see it being from smoking too fast if you get a hot run in a spot or something. Dunno, I wouldn't stress about it if you don't see any evidence of beetles

TJtorpedo
02-26-2013, 06:50 PM
I will have that happen from time to time. I don't notice a change in the draw though. I just chalk it up to being a natural product and slight variations in the thickness of individual leaves.

RobR1205
02-26-2013, 06:58 PM
I've had that happen to me. I think it's the leaves way are rolled. Sometimes, the "hole" is off center and the cigar will canoe to side even if you rotate it will smoking. It's only happened a couple of times, but I've definitely seen it before.

jjefrey
02-26-2013, 08:10 PM
I had this happen once, Just chocked it up to a bad stick.