PDA

View Full Version : Special, vintage, limited...

AdamJoshua
02-15-2013, 07:15 PM
When you get a special box, vintage or limited, etc., do you smoke one right away, do you just put them away and hold off a long as possible, I'm sure it's different for everyone but what do you do?

big_jaygee
02-15-2013, 07:18 PM
i smoke one right away.... that way say a few months or years down the road i have something to compare it to

hotreds
02-15-2013, 07:26 PM
you talkin' about CCs or NCs?

markem
02-15-2013, 07:39 PM
When I get "a special box, vintage or limited, etc." I always get 2 so that this dilemma never presents itself. I also beat the kobayashi maru.

jjefrey
02-15-2013, 07:43 PM
I'm with big_jaygee always smoke at least one. Sets the bar for future sticks.

AdamJoshua
02-15-2013, 07:52 PM
CCs Hotreds

Can't get 2 well I could but not going to, figured I'd smoke one if it's freaking amazing pull 4 more out and try to forget the rest for while.

hotreds
02-15-2013, 07:56 PM
You need to rest them a few weeks at least from their trip( I usually wait a month) and then I try one, and based on that I'll have some more. I try to keep a few to see how they age.

pnoon
02-15-2013, 07:57 PM
You need to rest them a few weeks at least from their trip( I usually wait a month) and then I try one, and based on that I'll have some more. I try to keep a few to see how they age.

Sage advice.

Porch Dweller
02-15-2013, 08:01 PM

This is just what I try to do. But I usually end up having one after a week.

AdamJoshua
02-15-2013, 08:07 PM
LOL @ PD I'm with you.

Thanks hotreds I'm going hold off as long as I can ... at least an hour! No I'm going to just put them in and look at the boxes lovingly, maybe re-arrange them now and then to pass the time and just touch them. (that's what she said)

hotreds
02-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Yup- she said the same thing to me!

AdamJoshua
02-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Yah that's what she said, but no literally she told me she told you.

mk05
02-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Generally, I sing to it while going to sleep and rub it with vaseline daily to preserve the oils for no less than 90 days.

Then, I am confident that the cigar will smoke well.

icehog3
02-16-2013, 12:07 AM
Generally, I sing to it while going to sleep and rub it with vaseline daily to preserve the oils for no less than 90 days.

Then, I am confident that the cigar will smoke well.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/beeks.jpg

Please, to help me with my Rucksack?

I have a mix....some boxes that I smoked one as soon as they were settles, and some boxes that are still unbroken 7 or more years later.

dubleuhb
02-18-2013, 03:05 PM
I open for inspection and put them away. Check them all about once a year. I have many full boxes from several years ago.
I don't plan on selling anything when I buy it so for me to open it is no big deal.

If at all possible I will buy a 5er along with it to try/share.

pektel
02-18-2013, 03:09 PM
I normally allow 3 weeks for the cigars to rest. After 3 months you'll start to notice some age...

tsolomon
02-18-2013, 03:41 PM
I try to wait 30 days so they have acclimated to my humidor, but sometimes that just doesn't happen. It helps having other cigars that you like to smoke so you can wait, but when the urge hits, everything is fair game. :gl

emopunker2004
02-18-2013, 03:41 PM
I normally allow 3 weeks for the cigars to rest. After 3 months you'll start to notice some age...

What about after 3 years? ;)

Bax
02-18-2013, 04:15 PM
I usually wait till the special occasion. If you smoke on right away and it isn't up to par it might put a damper on when you want to celebrate a year or two down the road.

AdamJoshua
02-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Thanks for all the advice, I think Toms advice of buying multiple would work the best for me (when I get a good handle on what I really enjoy), just buy 2 boxes put one away and forget about it, take a few out of box 2 after 3 or so weeks and put them in my 'smoking' humidor and then leave the rest to rest in the winador to pluck one every now and then.

I think it's harder when you first start out, when you are adding boxes to the collection they are usually the ones you are smoking from, takes a bit to get a head of the curve on the number you have and the number you are smoking.

joeobx
02-18-2013, 05:12 PM
If your just starting out I would go easy on box's. Your tastes are likely to change and you don't want a bunch of smokes a year from now that you don't really care for anymore.

AdamJoshua
02-18-2013, 05:17 PM
The only boxes I'm buying right now are a couple CCs here and there. Everything else I'm buying a few sticks of this or that, the only non CC box I bought was a Nat Sherman Timeless 2 and just got a San Lotano Habana box as a every day smoke (for now). Oh and a RyJ Vintage 1 (which I'm just gonna let sit and hope they get better, don't know why i bought a box but that was my 'learned a lesson' box).

I figure you can't go wrong with the classics.