PDA

View Full Version : Good smelling tobacco?

dwoodward
02-09-2013, 03:06 PM
I got a pipe sampler kit off CI awhile back and was expecting some good things. However, all three of the blends just taste kinda burnt/dry and the aroma is god awful. I've been keeping them in glass masonry jars with a boveda that my B&M had for pipe tobacco so they should be good still.

The 3 tobaccos I have:
Captain Black Light
Davidoff Red
Erinmore

Just wondering if maybe the tobaccos are supposed to be like that? I got into pipe smoking because every time i've been around a pipe smoker the aroma from their pipe was wonderful and it got me curious about it. So far I have just been disappointed.

688sonarmen
02-09-2013, 05:57 PM
You may be thinking of an aromatic as far as the "room note" goes. That I have no experience in and can only tell you what you can research. As far as smell and taste go I have found that they are not connected. Usually what I have found is the funky smelling tobaccos (Virginias and Virginia and Perique) taste wonderful to me. The room note also smells like burning socks at times but the flavor is good. Check out tobaccoreviews.com, that might lead you in the right direction.

hazydat620
02-09-2013, 11:41 PM
you don't need the boveda packs in your mason jars, the tobacco will be just fine without it. aromatics will usually start to taste ashy after awhile, unless we're talking Steven Books's aro's cause those are a different level aro. Captain black Royal in a MM pony is a wonderful combo for OTC. Is that Erinmore flake or mixture? I didn't like mix. like you said blah, but I heard it used to be diff. before Murray got his hands on it. If you want good room note and you want to taste what you smell in the bag, grab some G.H. Ennerdale, tasty stuff, but get a seperate pipe, it ghosts.PM if you want to try some things.