PDA

View Full Version : Pal's Cabin Cream of Mushroom Soup

RUNYYFan
02-09-2013, 01:29 PM
Here in New Jersey is a restaurant in West Orange that has been around since 1932 named Pal's Cabin. While I'm nowhere near that old, I still enjoy going up there for their out-of-this-world cream of mushroom soup.

Knowing the storm was coming, I got all the ingredients on Thursday and made the soup for today after digging out. Enjoy!

Pal's Cabin Cream of Mushroom Soup

Prep Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 45 mins
Servings: 4

Ingredients

32 ounces chicken stock
1/4 lb fresh mushrooms, chopped, sauteed
1 1/2 shallots, finely chopped
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp. to taste maggi seasoning (http://www.nestleusa.com/Brands/Culinary/Maggi-Seasonings.aspx)
1/2 tsp. to taste salt
1/2 tsp. to taste white pepper
1/4 pint light cream
1/4 pint heavy cream
1/2 tsp. to taste paprika

Directions

In a large stock pot, heat the chicken stock until it is well simmered. Add the sauteed mushrooms and chopped shallots.

In a smaller saucepan, make a roux by melting the butter and adding the flour, stirring until well blended. Cook the roux until it has the aroma of toasted almonds.

Pour the roux into the chicken stock to obtain a veloute of light consistency.

Season to taste with Maggi, salt and white pepper. Add the light cream to the chicken stock and stir well. Slowly add the heavy cream stirring constantly, but slowly until the cream is incorporated complete.

Serve in a cup topped with a touch of paprika.

hazydat620
02-09-2013, 01:36 PM
yes! thank you!

The Poet
02-09-2013, 01:44 PM
West Orange, hunh? Sorry, but like the Redcoats and the Rebels during The Revolution, I do not cross the Watchungs in winter. :r

RUNYYFan
02-09-2013, 04:20 PM
You're welcome Chad.

Yeah, Thomas, I know some of those "mountains" can be brutal after the "blizzard" we had. :D