PDA

View Full Version : Calorie counters

MACS
01-29-2013, 08:15 PM
For any of you trying to figure out how many calories per day you are consuming (and burning), I offer you two FREE smart phone apps to do just that:

Loseit and myfitnesspal. They both are pretty cool.

I've lost about 28 lbs in the last year by exercising and watching my calorie intake.

It has a barcode scanner, so if you drink a glass of milk, scan the barcode and it adds the calories. If you eat half an avocado, search for avocado and enter 1/2, and it tells you how many calories and adds it.

Also... if you go to the gym and run, you enter that and it subtracts calories. Very easy to use.

Jefft72
01-29-2013, 08:56 PM
I second the MyFitnessPal app. It worked equally well my wife's iphone4 and my android Atrix. I started off around 200 and am not at 170 and have been maintaining that for at least the past 6 months. The app really helped to reinforce proper quantities of food. Being that it was super easy to use made it something that I could willingly keep up with also.

Keep up the good work Shawn! It's a great problem to have to go out and buy new clothes cause the old ones fall off.

MACS
01-29-2013, 09:39 PM
Yeah, Jeff, I was 218 when I retired from the Navy. Lost some weight, got down to 202, went back to 207 and said screw this... I did about 2-3 months of Nutrisystem and it worked great.

I started running and lifting weights again, and that helped speed up the process. I am 178 now and have maintaind it by watching what I eat and continuing to exercise.

I still enjoy pizza and beer (and ice cream) but I make sure I pay for it before, or after, in the gym.

emopunker2004
01-29-2013, 09:51 PM
I just started using myfitnesspal again. Trying to knock my weight down below 200 again. Sitting at 240 right now. Let the fun begin!

tsolomon
01-30-2013, 05:29 AM
Been using the Myfitnesspal app for a couple of weeks and have lost 5 pounds so far. I like the way I can use it at work from my pc and on my iPad at home. The calorie counter is easy to use and I like the way you can find most foods already online and then adjust the portion. Not bad for a free app. :2

MurphysLaw
01-30-2013, 07:01 AM
I just started using myfitnesspal again. Trying to knock my weight down below 200 again. Sitting at 240 right now. Let the fun begin!

Ditto.

MarkinAZ
01-30-2013, 09:49 PM
For any of you trying to figure out how many calories per day you are consuming (and burning), I offer you two FREE smart phone apps to do just that:

Loseit and myfitnesspal. They both are pretty cool.

In addition to the above mentioned apps, you may want to try an app(s) from the following web site:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/mobile-apps.asp (http://www.sparkpeople.com/mobile-apps.asp)

This is a direct link to their apps for iPhone, iPad, StrawBerry, and Android phones. I don't have a smartass phone myself, so I couldn't tell you if the app(s) are super duper or not. I am signed-up for their web site via the PC and its a great site. I don't believe you'll have to join (which is free) to download. So, give the above link a shot and see if you can download. If not, simply join for free and then perform your downloading of the appropriate app for your mobile device...:tu