PDA

View Full Version : Unexpected spur for the economy and job growth...

Steve
01-17-2013, 03:01 PM
I DO NOT want this to go political, but I saw an article on Yahoo about how the firearms industry is thriving (http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/u-firearms-industry-inside-numbers-184833993.html) and the thought occured to me that this administration may yet actually spur jpb growth and the economy...just not the way they probably thought.

I know I have a twisted sense of humor, but this made me smile!

:D

G G
01-17-2013, 03:42 PM
I am smiling yet.:tu

SvilleKid
01-17-2013, 03:59 PM
We stopped by an Academy Sports store yesterday (had an out-of-state niece with us looking for Bama tee-shirts). I wandered to the gun counter, maybe to buy some 9mm. Zero pistol ammo on shelf. I asked how long it'd been that way.

"We got a full order in this morning". It was 2:30 pm when I asked! They had 6 boxes of 30-06, four 20-ct boxes of .45 "Zombie" loads, a dozen or so boxes of .308 and maybe 2 dozen boxes of .243 and assorted unusual caliber ammo on the long-gun ammo aisle.

They had a decent selection of guns. But no ammo.

tchariya
01-17-2013, 04:34 PM
I ordered a pack of 10-30rd windowed Pmags for AR from DSG Arms when they were on-sale for $100/pack. This was back in 12/21/12. They are arriving tomorrow. I believe these are manufactured overseas, but rumor has it over a million were ordered.

Now, I'm sure they had to hire more people to do the CSR as well as warehousing/shipping. ShotShow was this week and I'm sure with the Obama Executive Orders, many USA gun manufacturers will continue to add to their backlog.

Truly an accidental spur in one segment of the economy. Unfortunately, it might be right before a big drought that will force many who are focused on 'military style' products to go out of business, especially if they don't adapt.

7 round magazines for all of NY guns....better get at it!

replicant_argent
01-17-2013, 04:40 PM
You may be partially right.

It's a bit like staffing an endangered species pet shop at this point.

spectrrr
02-01-2013, 10:37 PM
I wrote a somewhat lengthy and slightly rambling commentary about this in the gun thread last week. Fair warning, it's a long read :)

I don't guarantee its 100% accurate, in fact I'll guarantee there's a few mistakes in there :) but it's food for thought. Stimulating one area of the economy with money that was going to be spent in a different area of the economy is not really stimulation at all. It's just reallocation of household funds from one project to another. At least the firearm industry has a higher proportion of "Made in America" products than say, the electronics industry does.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1786872#post1786872

hammondc
02-02-2013, 06:37 AM
I just wish I could get some 9mm to go to the range. I wish they'd hurry up with whatever laws they are going to pass so the hysteria will subside.

spectrrr
02-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Ammo is going to stay parse for a while I think... Government put in a HUGE order for ammo last year (5 year supply if I remember correctly). It's a big order. It's normal amouts when you do the math/per agent, but, it's a full 5 years worth for them. So that's probably putting a temporary capacity crimp on our market. Just bad timing. I always try to keep 1000rds of anything I shoot on hand, so I can buy at good prices when they come along instead of getting screwed every time someone breathes about gun control.

Bondo 287
02-02-2013, 08:04 AM
........... Stimulating one area of the economy with money that was going to be spent in a different area of the economy is not really stimulation at all. It's just reallocation of household funds from one project to another.

Yep I give you $40 for cigars. You give it to your wife for a hairdo. Hairdresser goes and gets a tank of gas where my kid works part time. My kid gets paid and gives me $40 for his cell phone bill......

Basically the same $40 goes around in a circle. I worked with a State Funded Program that would get us connected with their international reps. We would export out them and get their money into the State. That's how you get growth. A couple times a year I'd get a project going with the Russians, Africans, whatever. Your point is absolutely valid, Spex. :tu

shilala
02-02-2013, 08:48 AM
Zero pistol ammo on shelf. I asked how long it'd been that way.

"We got a full order in this morning". It was 2:30 pm when I asked! They had 6 boxes of 30-06, four 20-ct boxes of .45 "Zombie" loads, a dozen or so boxes of .308 and maybe 2 dozen boxes of .243 and assorted unusual caliber ammo on the long-gun ammo aisle.

They had a decent selection of guns. But no ammo.
This happens every time there's a shift in The Force, Cliff.
In 2008 I searched the entire world to find 9mm rounds, and I only got them because I bought 2 new handguns. I asked the guy to please put a couple cases of 9mm and a case of .22 ammo back for me if it ever came in. I'll be damned if he didn't do just that. I got in the car asap, drove over the mountain, and by the time I got there there wasn't a round of anything left on the shelves already.
Still shooting from those rounds, although my 9mm is getting low. I should be good until the shelves get filled again. As long as the zombies don't come first.

Bondo 287
02-02-2013, 08:54 AM
I just kick myself in the head I should have grabbed some mags and rounds and stocked up already. Now I need shells and I'm not looking forward to it.

kelmac07
02-02-2013, 10:19 AM
Another Walmart Super Center opened here in Newport News and they sold out of all ammunition within three hours of the store opening. Coincidence??? :hm :hm

Bondo 287
02-02-2013, 12:13 PM
If they are like my WM over here in PA, they said they are not reordering." Once it's gone, it's gone" was the actual statement I got.

cricky101
02-02-2013, 12:37 PM
I just wish I could get some 9mm to go to the range. I wish they'd hurry up with whatever laws they are going to pass so the hysteria will subside.

I ordered 250 rounds from sportsmans guide friday, so it's around, but you need to be quick. It was sold out in about 15 minutes.