PDA

View Full Version : Food on Vacation

Coach Deg
01-12-2013, 07:16 AM
When the family went on Vacation over New Years as we were driving up 95, I remember seeing a BBQ place on Dives Diners and Drive thrus. It was in GA about an hour North of Jacksonville. Called Southern Soul. It was lunch time and my family loves BBQ, so we stopped. I had the Brisket and a cup of Brunswick stew, family all had pork sandwiches. I have had better brisket a few places. But the only place I had better Brunswick stew was at Epic. And the pork was pretty darn good, also. Then we had the fried Oreos, these were awesome.
My opinion, if you are driving up 95 and can spare an hour. Its worth the trip.

The next interesting place we ate was Bobby's Burger Palace in DC. Named after Bobby Flay. The burgers were so good. The 14yr old ate 2 and had us stop back 2 nights later. In my opinion, pretty good and if you want a casual dinner in DC it was pretty good.

Then we were in NY, we stepped into a little dive, not even sure of the name, to get Pizza and a calzone. I don't care what anyone says, New York Pizza, Calzones, and bread are pretty hard to beat.

Thanks for listening.

jonumberone
01-12-2013, 07:21 AM
Sounds like a great trip, Mike!
I've taken vacations based solely around eating, and anywhere I go, I make an attempt to seek out an interesting place to eat.
I've never been anywhere with Brunswick stew on the menu, but I don't think I'd order it if I could.
I don't want to screw with the mystique of Brent's version.

Zane
01-12-2013, 07:23 AM
When the family went on Vacation over New Years as we were driving up 95, I remember seeing a BBQ place on Dives Diners and Drive thrus. It was in GA about an hour North of Jacksonville. Called Southern Soul. It was lunch time and my family loves BBQ, so we stopped. I had the Brisket and a cup of Brunswick stew, family all had pork sandwiches. I have had better brisket a few places. But the only place I had better Brunswick stew was at Epic. And the pork was pretty darn good, also. Then we had the fried Oreos, these were awesome.
My opinion, if you are driving up 95 and can spare an hour. Its worth the trip.

The next interesting place we ate was Bobby's Burger Palace in DC. Named after Bobby Flay. The burgers were so good. The 14yr old ate 2 and had us stop back 2 nights later. In my opinion, pretty good and if you want a casual dinner in DC it was pretty good.

Then we were in NY, we stepped into a little dive, not even sure of the name, to get Pizza and a calzone. I don't care what anyone says, New York Pizza, Calzones, and bread are pretty hard to beat.

Thanks for listening.

Is this the BBQ place?

http://www.southernsoulbbq.com/SouthernSoulMenu_togo.pdf

Looks great.

Coach Deg
01-12-2013, 09:02 AM
Zane - yes

Dom- being down south and a BBQ junkie I've had many Brunswick stew, but none as good as Brent's. This was very good, but not Brent's. Brent's has more meat, flavor, and that corn bread! I'm starting to get hungry.