PDA

View Full Version : Home-Roasters who use Espresso Machines

Mr B
01-09-2013, 05:04 PM
Hey guys & gals, I have a question for those who home-roast and use an espresso machine.
First off, I home-roast and enjoy my coffee thru a Press. I would love an Espresso Machine but its not in the budget right now.
Anyway, do you use your City, City +, Full City roasts in your Espresso unit or do you stick to Full City + and beyond?

jonumberone
01-09-2013, 05:12 PM
Brent, I have always used every type of roast in my machines.
However, if I am roasting specifically for my machine, I prefer a roast in the city plus-full city range.

Garbandz
01-10-2013, 07:17 AM
I use blends and change them around. You can get a wide range of flavors in espresso units,I try to get a balance of high and middle notes with the low notes of dark roasts.
Then you can experiment with grinds,packing,and water pressure for fine tuning your shots.......

Blak Smyth
01-10-2013, 07:20 AM
I find different roasts work better for different beans. I roasted one (do not remember which type) and it was terrible, roasted it again further and it was way better. I have had the reverse effects as well. That being said, I use a super auto which is not as high quality as some here.

Mr B
01-10-2013, 09:50 AM
Thanks guys. So basically it sounds like you run your Espresso Machines just like I run my Press...with whatever is good at whatever roast levels you like.

germantown rob
01-15-2013, 06:27 AM
Thanks guys. So basically it sounds like you run your Espresso Machines just like I run my Press...with whatever is good at whatever roast levels you like.

I do roast for espresso and the profile is different then for other brews. I like to stretch the roast time after the start of first to end of roast to caramelize the sugars more for a sweeter cup. I do some blends where I compromise the finish phase so that it will work for espresso or other brews. I consider a city roast for espresso to be the most difficult roast, stretching the roast from the start of first to the end of first crack (city) to get 3 min and not stall the roast is tricky.