PDA

View Full Version : God of Fire? Good or Bad?

Lexxxus
01-08-2013, 02:32 PM
For years I was a Cuban fundamentalist but over the past 5 years have smoked probably 1,000 non-Cubans.

I now smoke about 2-3 Non-Cubans to 1 Cuban and seldom pay more than $10-11 per stick and as little as $3-$4 (great value compared to pricey Cubans and when you faactor in the cost of travel) NC's are great value...

I have many favorites and sample as much new stuff as I can but have yet to try a God of Fire.

Can anyone shed any light on this brand?

My favorite Non-Cubans are:

Padron Exclusivo Maduro
Alec Bradley Prensado and Tempus
Fuente Opus X
La Duena Belicosa
Curivari Monarca
J. Fuego Delirium Belicosa
Oliva V Belicosa
CAO Brazilia

God of Fire are not cheap and while I remember they scored high one year in the CAf top 25 they do not get a lot of press.

Are they worth the money?

Been thinking of trying 4 or 5 of the GoF line-up. Buying a couple of each and make my mind up.

Any experiences or advice would be appreciated.

Wayne

68TriShield
01-08-2013, 02:48 PM
I found them tasteless which equates to underwhelming Wayne.
All hype imo but you may enjoy them.

bighairlogo
01-08-2013, 02:51 PM
I like the sencillo lines by GOF better and they are much cheaper

CigarNut
01-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Not a fan of the GoF myself. I do love me some Padron's though :D

RobR1205
01-08-2013, 03:09 PM
I've been fortunate enough to smoke 3 GOFs and have only had positive things to say about them. I will say however, are they worth the hefty price tag? Probably not. Your money is best spent on something else in my opinion. Personally, if I'm gonna splurge, it'll probably be on a Davidoff.

icehog3
01-08-2013, 03:13 PM
I have enjoyed the ones I have smoked, but wouldn't buy them again at that price point. A regular Fuente Hemingway or Don Carlos comes close enough, and at a fraction of the cost.

Lexxxus
01-08-2013, 03:27 PM
How do they get off charging so much?

Is it a matter of simply "Snob pricing"?

One of my "go to" smokes is the Padron Exclusivo and while not dirt cheap they are only about $11 per and worth ever penny. I put them up against pretty much any Cuban of that same size.

The GoF sticks I see sell for $20-23... Argubaly there are Padrons that are more than that but they usually recieve glowing reviews and high ratings.

Will keep an eye on this thread but nothing here has me picking up the phone to order.

W

scottdurand
01-08-2013, 03:28 PM
I have smoked and still have quite a few GOF, probably smoked everything they have made. With that said I will take a Curivari el gran rey or EloGio LSV "ANYTIME" over a GOF even if they were the same price.

Lexxxus
01-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Atlantic does not currently stock EloGio... That's a pretty strong endorsement!

Love the Curivaris! Been smoking the Monarca for a couple years now.

W

scottdurand
01-08-2013, 03:46 PM
The EloGio LSV and Habano are both great! If you look at the EloGio website you will see OldTown in KS listed, Nabil is great!

jjirons69
01-08-2013, 03:47 PM
I have enjoyed the ones I have smoked, but wouldn't buy them again at that price point. A regular Fuente Hemingway or Don Carlos comes close enough, and at a fraction of the cost.

:tpd:

maninblack
01-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Just not worth it at that price point. Many, MANY other smokes out there worth buying with my hard earned money.

sikk50
01-08-2013, 03:58 PM
I really enjoyed the one I smoked. I think I did a review of it on here a couple years ago actually. I still have one or two. They certainly aren't worth the price tag though.

Coach Deg
01-08-2013, 04:19 PM
As everyone has been saying, for the price, not worth it.

kelmac07
01-08-2013, 05:14 PM
As stated before...I prefer the Sencillo Blacks (also made by GOF folks) and they are tasty and a hell of a lot cheaper. :2

Brlesq
01-08-2013, 05:46 PM
Fire . . . good.

Prefer the Don Carlos blend over the Carlito blend

DaBear
01-08-2013, 06:00 PM
I've only had the two original sizes of the Serie B and loved them both. That said, I got a great deal on em, but event that was at the upper limits of what I'd spend. It takes a hell of a lot to get me to blow $20 on a stick, and there are only a handful I'd consider at that price.

TJtorpedo
01-08-2013, 06:30 PM
I've smoked one GOF. I scored it on cbid. I can't be certain which one it was, but I think it was the Carlito churchill. Great for a $10-$12 cigar. Not so great when it comes in at $20+.

I've heard the B is awesome. Maybe when I run out of other sticks to try, I'll pick one up.

RobR1205
01-08-2013, 07:42 PM
As stated before...I prefer the Sencillo Blacks (also made by GOF folks) and they are tasty and a hell of a lot cheaper. :2

Very true, I've smoked the Sencillo Black and Sencillo Platinum and both are quite good. The devil site gets them quite regularly for $3-$5 a piece depending on the day.

macon
01-13-2013, 09:06 PM
I have 3 if them...I'd have to check but I'd swear they said 2003 or something on them. I've just been keeping them because I didn't care for one or two I smoked. They are in my misc cedar box with some other stuff. I have to lay off the smokes this week. On Friday I may fire one up and report back.

GodOfFire
01-13-2013, 11:14 PM
As my name on this forum states I diverge with most of the other posters here. I love the Don Carlos blend and keep a few on hand. I don't smoke then everyday but do enjoy one or two a month. This cigar is in my top 3 current favorites excluding the padron line because I love so many in that line. The series B which I have smoked two of are ok but didn't impress me. I do enjoy the Carlito blend if its got a year or two of age on it. I just love this stick.