PDA

View Full Version : Looking to pick up some stainless cookware......

smitty81
01-07-2013, 12:31 PM
But I'm not to sure what to buy as there are tons of different brands.

From the research I have done, I need something with an aluminum and/or copper core.

I was looking at a set Emril puts his name on at BBB. Seems decent for the price.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=17410750&RN=397&

As far as anything else goes, I got nothing.

Any suggestions from people that know their cookware?

I'd like to stay in the $400 or below range.

pnoon
01-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Assuming you need a set:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=121348&RN=397&

Depending on what you already have, you also might consider buying one piece and see how you like it before buying a complete set. And while it may be more expensive in the long run, buying pans piece by piece will give you what you really use. (A shame to buy a 10 piece set when you really might only end up using 3 or 4)

Blak Smyth
01-07-2013, 12:54 PM
Woot has a set:
http://sellout.woot.com/offers/regal-ware-10-piece-cookware-set-9
http://d3gqasl9vmjfd8.cloudfront.net/5dbe068b-6cb3-429f-93ce-a8414fea1b65.png

Chainsaw13
01-07-2013, 12:59 PM
Depending on what you already have, you also might consider buying one piece and see how you like it before buying a complete set. And while it may be more expensive in the long run, buying pans piece by piece will give you what you really use. (A shame to buy a 10 piece set when you really might only end up using 3 or 4)

Wise words. I have plenty of pots/pans, but use 3-4 regularly. A nice 10-12" fry pan, 4-5 quart stock pot, 8" fry pan and a small 1qt pot. I do have others that I use from time to time, but probably could get away with just those 4.

pnoon
01-07-2013, 01:01 PM
I own some Simply Calphalon and can vouch for the quality.

smitty81
01-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Assuming you need a set:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=121348&RN=397&

Thanks for the info Pete. I do quite a little cooking really but have always use cheap teflon stuff from walmart. Christmas was good to us and I'd like to upgrade to stainless steel.

I have never used stainless steel so It will take a bit of learning i'm sure but I want something nice.

I see myself using a set as much as we cook. Seems like the only thing I never really use is small skillets (6").

We are planning a trip to BBB sometime to actually handle the cookware. Pictures don't seem to do cookware justice IMOP. I like to handle it and see for myself.

This is another set I had looked at. It has a copper and aluminum core. I don't know that having copper in addition to an aluminum core make much of a difference though. :confused:

Chainsaw13
01-07-2013, 01:14 PM
I have never used stainless steel so It will take a bit of learning i'm sure but I want something nice.

I see myself using a set as much as we cook. Seems like the only thing I never really use is small skillets (6").

We are planning a trip to BBB sometime to actually handle the cookware. Pictures don't seem to do cookware justice IMOP. I like to handle it and see for myself.

This is another set I had looked at. It has a copper and aluminum core. I don't know that having copper in addition to an aluminum core make much of a difference though. :confused:

SS does require a learning curve. You do need to preheat the pan, otherwise you'll get sticking no matter how much oil/butter/etc you use. I happened to be using a pan going this weekend to toast a hamburger bun and made a fried egg in it. No problems with sticking since it had heated up sufficiently while toasting the bun. Another nice thing is you can really crank the heat if you need to. Not advisable with non-stick.

I'm guessing the addition of copper/aluminum is for more even heat distribution/conduction.

smitty81
01-07-2013, 01:19 PM
SS does require a learning curve. You do need to preheat the pan, otherwise you'll get sticking no matter how much oil/butter/etc you use. I happened to be using a pan going this weekend to toast a hamburger bun and made a fried egg in it. No problems with sticking since it had heated up sufficiently while toasting the bun. Another nice thing is you can really crank the heat if you need to. Not advisable with non-stick.

I'm guessing the addition of copper/aluminum is for more even heat distribution/conduction.

Thats what I have heard I guess..........

When I cook ground burger, do I still need to use some oil even after I let my pan preheat?

I'm just tired of our flimsey chipped teflon crap.

Chainsaw13
01-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Thats what I have heard I guess..........

When I cook ground burger, do I still need to use some oil even after I let my pan preheat?

I'm just tired of our flimsey chipped teflon crap.

Yes, you'll still need a small bit of fat to coat the bottom, before you add your buger and it starts rendering it's own fat. You don't need a lot. I will say I'm still learning to use my SS pans, as I tend towards the non-stick.

smitty81
01-07-2013, 01:31 PM
Yes, you'll still need a small bit of fat to coat the bottom, before you add your buger and it starts rendering it's own fat. You don't need a lot. I will say I'm still learning to use my SS pans, as I tend towards the non-stick.

I'm tossing that teflon crap just as soon as I get some new stainless. I have an 8" & 10" cast iron skillet if I need some non stick.

Love my cast iron cookware as well.

pnoon
01-07-2013, 01:35 PM
My :2 is to buy one piece that you know you will use a lot.
A frying pan/skillet, sauce pan or dutch oven and see how you like it. Handling it in the store is fine to assess weight, balance, how it feels in your hand. But you won't truly know until you use one - how it heats up, cooks up, and cleans up.

markem
01-07-2013, 01:50 PM
I have around 30 Calphalon pieces dating back to the early 80s. It is all still in near new condition and I cook a lot.

BBB is usually a good price. Whatever you find, also look at Amazon. If you have a Macy's in your area, they are good to look at (pricey!) as are any specialty places.

Strangely enough, I just bought a Farberware non-stick 11" pan with glass lid. Some dishes just need a good non-stick (hash browns, for example). If you have some place like Fred Meyer, a big box that sells everything including groceries and lawn mowers, check out their sales as well.

The biggest thing about good cookware is that it doesn't make a hill of beans difference if your cooktop is marginal. I switched to gas when we built this place and I doubt that I'll ever own an electric cooktop again.

Good luck and take Peter's advice. If you can, buy one pan now and use it like crazy to see how it works for you. Be sure to not use metal utensils on stainless or aluminum or copper or well, you get the idea.

Oh yeah, in spite of advertisements to the contrary, I'd never put high end cookware in the dish washer. Hand washing will lead to longer life, IMO.

markem
01-07-2013, 01:52 PM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention Cuisinart brand. Light weight, thin walled, but takes a beating. My 12 quart stock pot is from them.

smitty81
01-07-2013, 02:07 PM
I have around 30 Calphalon pieces dating back to the early 80s. It is all still in near new condition and I cook a lot.

BBB is usually a good price. Whatever you find, also look at Amazon. If you have a Macy's in your area, they are good to look at (pricey!) as are any specialty places.

Strangely enough, I just bought a Farberware non-stick 11" pan with glass lid. Some dishes just need a good non-stick (hash browns, for example). If you have some place like Fred Meyer, a big box that sells everything including groceries and lawn mowers, check out their sales as well.

The biggest thing about good cookware is that it doesn't make a hill of beans difference if your cooktop is marginal. I switched to gas when we built this place and I doubt that I'll ever own an electric cooktop again.

Good luck and take Peter's advice. If you can, buy one pan now and use it like crazy to see how it works for you. Be sure to not use metal utensils on stainless or aluminum or copper or well, you get the idea.

Oh yeah, in spite of advertisements to the contrary, I'd never put high end cookware in the dish washer. Hand washing will lead to longer life, IMO.

I cant use metal utensils on stainless steel??

I knew that was a no no for teflon but I thought pretty much anything was game on stainless steel?

markem
01-07-2013, 02:10 PM
I cant use metal utensils on stainless steel??

I knew that was a no no for teflon but I thought pretty much anything was game on stainless steel?

Scratching the metal gives the items you are cooking a crevice to latch on to. This will cause sticking. Also, metal on metal will shorten the life of the material as it will get worn away.

omowasu
01-07-2013, 04:55 PM
If you can take reasonable care of your pots and pans (e.g. washing when you are done, not putting them in the dishwasher) go ceramic. I have been very impressed with ceramic cookware. The only issue is that the ceramic cook surface chips easily if nicked by metal, so it cant be left laying around in the sink. I really like the WearEvers for the price. No PFOAs or Cadmium with the ceramics that you would get with Teflon.

I have all kinds of cookware - everything has its place - I like stainless a lot for the durability, but unless you are cooking in oil just about everything sticks to it. If that happens, be ready to buff the surface to a mirror-like shine...