PDA

View Full Version : Is the Keurig here....

novasurf
01-03-2013, 04:06 PM
....to stay or just a passing fad. What say ye?

icehog3
01-03-2013, 04:21 PM
I think it will stay. Not a factor for the home roasting, high end crowd, but huge with the "decent coffee, conveinence wanted" crowd. I don't think they are going anywhere, Brother.

Commander Quan
01-03-2013, 04:27 PM
Probably stick around until some other new fandangled thing is in.

markem
01-03-2013, 04:35 PM
As Tom pointed out, the concept is ideal, especially for those wanting just one cup.

Some parts of the coffee market are in flux (Tully's Chapter 11 being the most notable right now), but the Keurig style brewing systems seem stable, although the little pre-made coffee containers are overpriced, IMO.

If you were asking if the company that makes Keurig is stable, I have no input on that. It seems to me that the devices are made well and you can get little baskets that you put your own coffee in to, so you are not tied to the price of the pre-made packets.

I own a keurig and don't plan to stop using it. For what I want, it is ideal and I can still use the home roast that my friends give me. I have no opinions on the keurig competitors our there.

bobarian
01-03-2013, 05:44 PM
I think its here to stay. I have considered a Keurig. There are many times I just want a single cup and dont feel like brewing up a full batch. Much like cigars or any other consumable, there are many levels of participation. Instant coffee is still a major part of the market, I would guess there are many more people drinking instant than roasting their own. :2

Salvelinus
01-03-2013, 05:47 PM
I think Tom nailed it. I got rid of mine because it didn't produce the stronger, flavorful coffee I wanted. However, I know many that love theirs and would never think of giving it up. I think "decent" was the key word.

hazydat620
01-03-2013, 05:49 PM
I'm enjoying ours . I got one for the old lady @ Christmas. I'm a one cup a day drinker, I like a strong cup of coffe that tastes good, and that's what it gives me. I'm fixn to go get the reusable bucket so I don't have to keep throwin plastic in the trash. I also love the fact that it will give me just hot water for 363's holiday cocoa way quicker than heating it on the stove.Now her on the other hand, she gets the hankerings for a couple cups on occasion and thats when she gets the old drip out. Once I get the other cup I don't think shes gonna mind making more than one out of the Keurig though, less waste. just my experience with it so far:sh

qwerty1500
01-03-2013, 06:07 PM
We received one for Christmas. So far, I'm really liking it.

Seldom have more than 1-2 cups at a time. So, it's perfect from that end.

Have never been a fan of espresso or really strong coffee in general. So far, several of the medium roasts we've tried for the Keurig have been excellent.

I guess time will tell if it is a passing fad at our house.

jluck
01-03-2013, 11:01 PM
We just got one. I love it. I can have coffee (Just did), wife has tea and boys can have hot chocolate all within a couple minutes. I really like it. There is no more wasted coffee like there was either.:tu

dwoodward
01-03-2013, 11:26 PM
I bought my mom a mini Keurig for christmas. She uses it almost every day now. She used to only make coffee once a week because of the hassle and then ends up dumping half the pot anyway. The Keurig will make her a cup in less than 2 minutes. And she only needs a cup anyway.

I'm pretty sure the Keurig system is going to be around for a long time. Especially since they have the reuseable cups for your own ground coffee blends now. She's been using those far more than the prepackaged cups.

T.G
01-03-2013, 11:38 PM
I think it will stay. Not a factor for the home roasting, high end crowd, but huge with the "decent coffee, conveinence wanted" crowd. I don't think they are going anywhere, Brother.

I have to agree with Tom. More and more people that I know seem to be buying Keurig or similar operation machines and "convenience" is always one of the reasons that they cite. I don't think any of them were coffee connoisseurs before buying the machines, and a number of them were buying Folgers or whatever it is that comes from Costco in the big tins, so some of the K-cups are actually a step up in coffee quality for them. Personally, I wouldn't buy one, but they certainly are happy with them, enough so that they are recommending them to other people. With a loyal & growing customer base like that, I just don't see them going away anytime soon.

jonumberone
01-04-2013, 05:02 AM
I think it's here to stay.
Since I've gone over the coffee cliff, mine sees a lot less use than it once did.
That said, there are still plenty of times when I appreciate it, and its convenience.

Tallman
01-04-2013, 05:15 AM
I agree that it's here to stay. Wifey uses ours more than I do, (I'm more of a tea drinker and I dont like the K-cup tea very much) but it gets used several times a week.

Blak Smyth
01-04-2013, 05:29 AM
I think it is to stay due to convenience however it will likely continue to evolve towards a better brew.

qwerty1500
01-04-2013, 05:40 AM
I don't think any of them were coffee connoisseurs before buying the machines, and a number of them were buying Folgers or whatever it is that comes from Costco in the big tins, so some of the K-cups are actually a step up in coffee quality for them.

We were certainly never connoisseurs. However, we both appreciate a flavorful cup of coffee and were grinding Eight O'clock beans every morning. We knew we were not using a high end burr grinder and were not grinding more expensive or freshly roasted beans. However, we have both been surprised at how much better the pre-ground K-Cups have tasted.

One difference I've noticed is that the Keurig gets the water to a much higher temperature than our old antique coffee maker. I wonder if that is making more of a difference than coffee quality. A little experiment seems to be in order. We bought one of those reusable cups. I guess I should grind some of the Eight O'clock and see if the higher temperature makes a difference.

mosesbotbol
01-04-2013, 05:45 AM
The commerical and office consumer will keep it around.

hammondc
01-04-2013, 06:07 AM
I do not have one, but have considered it. I tried to go off the coffee cliff, but just never got far. I like my sugar and milk with coffee in it, so it doesn't make much sense for me to go roasting my own etc. Starbucks Sumatra / Komodo Dragon is fine for me. Thats right, I love the Gurkhas of the coffee world.

DBall
01-04-2013, 06:23 AM
I'm with the "it will stay" crowd. I almost exclusively drink espresso these days, but prior to that when I was drinking coffee, I'd never go through a full pot. One cup at a time is perfect.

Ashcan Bill
01-04-2013, 06:25 AM
I've been grinding beans and making full pots longer than I can remember. I'm a coffee addict. I picked up a Keurig a couple years ago and like it. Depending on the coffee you buy for it, it can make a decent enough cup.

For those times that I just want a single cup, it really shines. My wife uses it for tea occasionally, again when when she doesn't want to brew a whole pot. It has it's place.

Route 66
01-04-2013, 07:12 AM
I think it's here to stay...at least mine is.

People are always looking for a more convenient, time saving way of doing things and so I think the Keurig fits that bill nicely.

I don't consider myself a coffee connoisseur by any means, and that's OK with me. I love being able to brew a "fresh" cup any time I want one and it's great not having to deal with all the measuring and hassle (and waste) of making a full pot.

poker
01-04-2013, 08:18 AM
We bought the Keurig Special Edition model & we love it. Works perfectly for what we needed.

hscmit
01-04-2013, 08:22 AM
my parents and sister have both switched to keurig, I am the only one who still uses a press or drip machine. there seems to be a stable market for them

T.G
01-04-2013, 08:28 AM
We were certainly never connoisseurs. However, we both appreciate a flavorful cup of coffee and were grinding Eight O'clock beans every morning. We knew we were not using a high end burr grinder and were not grinding more expensive or freshly roasted beans. However, we have both been surprised at how much better the pre-ground K-Cups have tasted.

One difference I've noticed is that the Keurig gets the water to a much higher temperature than our old antique coffee maker. I wonder if that is making more of a difference than coffee quality. A little experiment seems to be in order. We bought one of those reusable cups. I guess I should grind some of the Eight O'clock and see if the higher temperature makes a difference.

That's exactly what I was referring to. Thanks. It was basically that they are making comments similar to yours about how the coffee is better out of the Keurig.

Why all of them made similar comments about he coffee being better, I don't know as I don't have enough experience with the machine to say. They just did.

For me personally, I'm not a connoisseur either, the Keurig simply doesn't make coffee strong enough for me, as I like my coffee crunchy.

14holestogie
01-04-2013, 09:17 AM
Mines sticking around for at least the 30 boxes of k-cups in the pantry and elsewhere. :)

I'm of the same mind. I like a stronger cup of coffee. My wife prefers lightly brown colored water. This satisfies us both without having to make 2 different pots.

STEVE S
01-04-2013, 09:27 AM
I think it's here to stay...at least mine is.

People are always looking for a more convenient, time saving way of doing things and so I think the Keurig fits that bill nicely.

I don't consider myself a coffee connoisseur by any means, and that's OK with me. I love being able to brew a "fresh" cup any time I want one and it's great not having to deal with all the measuring and hassle (and waste) of making a full pot.

This is exactly how I feel. We got our's for Christmas. :tu

pektel
01-04-2013, 09:29 AM
We have one at the office. Works great for when we offer clients a cup of coffee, as it's always fresh.

At home, I'm too cheap to spend that much on a cup-a-joe. I brew a pot of Folgers. The whole pot costs less than a cup from a Keurig. At least, I think so. Never thought about it. But I've also never thought of coffee as an expense. I like my coffee cheap, and I like it with milk and sugar. The coffee snobs will probably turn up their noses at that, but coffee is one of those consumables (to me, anyways) that I choose not to spend more on than I need to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdiqNimxwzg

:D

Dave128
01-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Ours is here to stay. We've had one for two years now and really enjoy the quick, convenient and tasty coffee it brews. We use it every morning to fill a travel mug for each of us. On the weekends, we either use this or our french press. If we have company that we know will be drinking coffee, then we break out the 12 cup maker.

Retiredguy
01-05-2013, 09:44 AM
I believe the Keurig, or something comparable, is around to stay. The convenience is great.
If you want to grind your own, and use the Keurig, there is a reusable k-cup container available. It's not quite as convenient as popping in a k-cup from the store, but it does work.

CigarNut
01-05-2013, 11:13 AM
I think capsule/pod-based coffee machines are here to stay. I prefer the Nespresso myself, because I prefer espresso shots rather than cups of coffee, but the principle is the same.

You can't beat the convenience, and the quality of the resulting drinks is pretty good. You can also still get fresh ground espresso, coffee or coffee drinks at one of the many (many) coffee shops around when you want something better than the capsules that you have at home.

ripper
01-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Our daughters gave us a Keurig Platinum Plus for Xmas. Like the easy use. And we are not wasting so much coffee.
One perk in the box was a coupon for 2 free boxes of K cups from Keurig. Except for our local Western Washington brands like Tully's, Starbucks and Millstone, am not familiar with the other brands like Green Mountain and Donut Shop.
Any recommendations for bold K cup varieties? Like smokes, I enjoy strong and dark.

MarkinAZ
01-06-2013, 07:58 PM
I believe the Keurig will be here to stay for a while. There appears to be numerous varieties of K-Cup coffees to choose from...
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQei7ndeom91UbOtXPYdvE1CCwncpDiG 78-Jh8Aw0TRCkM-4-yX

I'm curious to know if anyone has ever ripped the top off one of these K-cups to ascertain the weight of the coffee grounds inside? I've had the French Roast by Green Mountain that makes an ok 8oz cup, but still a wee bit on the weak side for myself. My question regarding the weight is, I was wondering how much of your favorite ground coffee you could pack into a reuseable K-cup and would it make a better cup of joe for you...
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5mU2yzocqyLVgMYrKLdW9niTt3mDZK S1Uesd-sLT5WcrPBSTj

theonlybear4CORT
01-06-2013, 08:44 PM
I got one for my birthday and I love it so far. I'm about to purchase some k-cups what should I try guys? I like strong coffee is that helps.

qwerty1500
01-07-2013, 12:58 AM
My question regarding the weight is, I was wondering how much of your favorite ground coffee you could pack into a reuseable K-cup and would it make a better cup of joe for you...

We have one of the Keurig My-Cup reuseables. Tried it out over the weekend and thought the coffee was weak. Don't know about the reuseable you have pictured, but this seems to be a problem with the my-cups. Everyone's best guess is that the design of the my-cup is different than the k-cup and water is forced through the my-cup too fast.

I tried one of the fixes I found. Took a used k-cup, cleaned out the coffee grounds and filter, cut the lip off of it and put it into the my-cup before adding my coffee. I also used a really fine grind. The combination significantly increased the strength of the brew. It also clogged up the needle from the hot water tank and I had to clean that out.

Love to hear from anyone who has figured out how to make good coffee with the reuseables.

GWN
01-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Love the convenience of our machine but not entirely happy about consuming something created by forcing boiling water at high pressure through cheap-ass plastic. Have tried the Keurig version of the reusable cup but, like others, find the coffee a little weak.

novasurf
01-07-2013, 06:48 PM
I've never used one, but it seems a fine grind would be a plus. If not, use less water, adjusted to your desired strength.

x man
01-15-2013, 06:52 AM
I believe the Keurig will be here to stay for a while. There appears to be numerous varieties of K-Cup coffees to choose from...
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQei7ndeom91UbOtXPYdvE1CCwncpDiG 78-Jh8Aw0TRCkM-4-yX

I'm curious to know if anyone has ever ripped the top off one of these K-cups to ascertain the weight of the coffee grounds inside? I've had the French Roast by Green Mountain that makes an ok 8oz cup, but still a wee bit on the weak side for myself. My question regarding the weight is, I was wondering how much of your favorite ground coffee you could pack into a reuseable K-cup and would it make a better cup of joe for you...
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5mU2yzocqyLVgMYrKLdW9niTt3mDZK S1Uesd-sLT5WcrPBSTj

I bought a unit for my parents when i left town 6 weeks ago.
I havnt tried it yet.
I have the same question about packing it for a stronger cup.
As i roast my own coffee i usually make a days worth in the AM.
But sometimes i need another cup or 3 later in the day.

velvet jones
01-26-2013, 03:38 PM
For stronger coffee try the bold and extra bold varieties. Me likey.

alley00p
01-26-2013, 08:49 PM
As a long-time B-60 owner, I believe that Keurig is here to stay. Considering that Keurig has added 2 new systems to the Kcup system, the "Vue" system and the "Rivo" system. The new systems use different single serve cups; the Vue is a fancy single cup brewer, while the The Rivo™ Cappuccino & Latte System brews Authentic Italian espresso on one side. Perfectly frothed milk on the other. And of course, all the simplicity Keurig is known for.

BTW, if anyone is interested, there is another company making replacements for Kcups: http://www.gourmet-coffee.com/onecup.html

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo326/alley00p/lg-sfb-fr_zps8b6e2e9f.jpg

AdamJoshua
01-26-2013, 08:51 PM
I have one at home and one in my office, def better than any of the chain stores and a good to great selection. I agree that too many big names have put their brand behind it, in the form of 'cups', to fail at this point.

MACS
01-30-2013, 02:16 AM
Let me preface my post with this: I am not a coffee connoisseur, but I do appreciate a good cup of coffee. I was a Navy Senior Chief, after all.

My son worked at charbucks (their coffee tastes burned to me, now) and I tried a lot of their stuff because my son got it for free. It was better than Navy coffee, though. After I tried a bag of beans from Costco (Jose's Colombian Supremo) I didn't want anything else.

My wife likes to drink coffee, too, but she drenches it with cream and sugar, so she isn't too picky. She bought us a Keurig and she likes it. I use it when I am in a hurry and some of their stuff is palatable.

I like a splash (just a touch) of Cold Stone Sweet Cream creamer in my coffee... which I brew strong.

Now that I have rambled forever... It's here to stay for one simple reason - it's incredibly quick and convenient.

Tredegar
01-30-2013, 04:10 AM
I got one for Christmas and love it. I am the only one who drinks coffee in my house so this is perfect for me. Finding the right coffee for me can be a challenge. I prefer stronger, richer flavors in my coffee so I am still searching for the right coffee. I do think that the prices of the cups are way too high too.

bdgile
02-26-2013, 09:37 AM
I agree that it is here to stay. People like convenience no matter what the cost (price and quality).

OLS
02-26-2013, 09:57 AM
Thats right, I love the Gurkhas of the coffee world.

But you're a beautiful human being, Chip.

jechelman
02-26-2013, 10:41 AM
It is definitely here to stay, at least until something better comes along. Nice to be able to quickly make a single cup. I use the Solofill refillable cup when I want something other than packaged k-cup coffee. I like the Solofill better than Keurig's My K-Cup refillable.

Blueface
04-04-2013, 04:13 PM
Just broke down and got one.

n3uka
04-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Just broke down and got one.

I still expect espresso when I visit :D

Blueface
04-05-2013, 07:32 AM
I still expect espresso when I visit :D

No doubt.
The Keurig is for occasional American coffee fix.

AdamJoshua
04-06-2013, 07:16 PM
I have one in my office at work, I drink 2 or 3 cups a day, it's perfect for that, don't have to drink the cheap crap in the cafeterias, I've worked at places that had really good java, this isn't one of them.

hammondc
04-21-2013, 06:53 AM
But you're a beautiful human being, Chip.

Just saw this when reading over this thread. Thanks bud. Made my day. :D

rooneymurph
06-09-2013, 04:35 AM
I'll say this -- as a guy who loves coffee and will pay top dollar for a high-end, private lot cup, the Keurig's still a pretty good buy. I think part of the true enjoyment of getting one is the coffee you buy with it: the Green Mountain varieties (especially the darker roasts) are great, and there's some random brands (i.e. Coffee People's "Jet Fuel") that are fantastic.

The Wegmans K-Cups, however, leave this weird aftertaste when I use them, so those have gone to the wayside.

In the interest of saving money, I purchased one of the "converters" that allows you to fill your own pod with your own coffee, so you can just buy a can of Chock Full O' Nuts and do that. However, I've also found that if the wife and I are going to drink coffee all morning on a Sunday, we just pull out the coffee pot (!) and make a full one to drink.

Blueface
06-12-2013, 07:57 AM

I have a high end Rancilio for my espresso but find the Keurig a blast to use when I decide to make a quick cup of what we lovingly refer to as "gringo" coffee in my house.
I use Dunkin Donuts coffee with the aftermarket reusable cups. Works like a charm.

forgop
06-12-2013, 10:52 AM
It's far from the quality of a french press, but I picked up a new K75 just for the sheer convenience of making an additional cup or two after I've had good coffee in the morning. Now I just have to get the correct grind/fill/packing in the reusable k-cup and I'll then have as close to the good stuff with much less work.

Our society is built upon convenience more so than quality or Starbucks and every other fast food chain wouldn't be one on nearly every major city road/block that has any traffic to it at all.

Dave128
06-13-2013, 10:25 AM
It's far from the quality of a french press, but I picked up a new K75 just for the sheer convenience of making an additional cup or two after I've had good coffee in the morning. Now I just have to get the correct grind/fill/packing in the reusable k-cup and I'll then have as close to the good stuff with much less work.

Our society is built upon convenience more so than quality or Starbucks and every other fast food chain wouldn't be one on nearly every major city road/block that has any traffic to it at all.

I use a coarse grind in my reusable k-cup. Otherwise the water doesn't go through correctly and it comes out over the top. What a mess that is.

forgop
06-13-2013, 12:10 PM
I use a coarse grind in my reusable k-cup. Otherwise the water doesn't go through correctly and it comes out over the top. What a mess that is.

I opened a k-cup once and it seemed to be a bit more like a percolator type of a grind than much of a coarse drip when I've tinkered with it all of the 30 seconds I've spent on it thus far. :sh

Dave128
06-13-2013, 01:47 PM
I opened a k-cup once and it seemed to be a bit more like a percolator type of a grind than much of a coarse drip when I've tinkered with it all of the 30 seconds I've spent on it thus far. :sh

I only know what's been working for me in the re-usable k-cups. I've never disected a prepackaged k-cup.

hammondc
06-19-2013, 05:43 PM
Finally got one for fathers day. Now I need to find some good strong KCups. Have some San Fransicso Bay Coffee 'Fog Chaser'. Not strong enough.

Dave128
06-20-2013, 09:36 AM
Drinking fog chaser this morning. We got three boxes of it cheap from Groupon. It's not bad, but as you say, it could be a bit stronger. There's a Folger's italian blend (can't remember the exact name) that's got some decent strength. Also, green mountain makes a double black diamond that is really good.

pnoon
06-20-2013, 10:23 AM
I've been enjoying Coffee People's Jet Fuel.

hammondc
06-20-2013, 08:35 PM
I've been enjoying Coffee People's Jet Fuel.

This one is #1 for me to try. That one and Black Tiger. :dr

CigarNut
06-20-2013, 08:49 PM
This one is #1 for me to try. That one and Black Tiger. :drIf you like ice cream you should try a Black Tiger Milk Shake -- the buzz lasts a week :D

hammondc
06-21-2013, 03:44 PM
That sounds interesting.

hammondc
07-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Gotta say, I am loving it so far.

pkny1
09-18-2013, 03:16 PM
Mine broke.. won't pump all it's supposed to.. all the vinegar cleaning in the world won't help it, even took it apart to clean the nozzle.. bleh

but it did work like a champ for 3˝ years before it went out!

Now I just use a 1930's percolator I bought on eBay for $13.

Am still looking for a convenient way to make 1 cup of coffee as my girlfriend isn't the biggest coffee drinker out there.. She's the kind who does the whole "pour me a cup!" thing, and then drinks half.

Not sure if i want another Keurig or what..

But to answer the OP, I think they're sticking around

MarkinAZ
09-18-2013, 04:19 PM
Mine broke.. won't pump all it's supposed to.. all the vinegar cleaning in the world won't help it, even took it apart to clean the nozzle.. bleh

Am still looking for a convenient way to make 1 cup of coffee as my girlfriend isn't the biggest coffee drinker out there.. She's the kind who does the whole "pour me a cup!" thing, and then drinks half.

Not sure if i want another Keurig or what..

But to answer the OP, I think they're sticking around

Been using the Melita One Cupper with #2 brown coffee filters since the Summer of 1984 Pete. 3 to 4 tablespoons of your favorite grind and some hot water poured over the top works just fine. Just toss the used filter and coffee grounds out and rinse the One Cupper under some hot water and you're good (no need for vinegar too):cf1
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/markinca1953/IMG_0111_zps4def34f1.jpg

mosesbotbol
09-19-2013, 10:31 AM
We recently got a Keurig Bolt which makes a full pot of coffee in like 1 minute. Much better cup of coffee than the single Keurig; not even funny the difference.

OnePyroTec
10-23-2013, 05:35 PM
I bought one to take with me on my travels when working. It is such a P.I.T.A. getting an in room coffee pot that is worth a crap at Hotels I figure it was my best option.

BTW, I roast my own beans and use a refillable basket. I have no need for the little cups they sell for the machines that cost a fortune and are not near as good as what I roast :D

.cigardude.
10-23-2013, 06:45 PM
Bought the Keurig Vue.

The wife and i are really enjoying it.

Robulous78
10-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Melita One Cupper
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/markinca1953/IMG_0111_zps4def34f1.jpg

its sooo simple, why haven't I seen this before? Where doth one buy one of these fancy "cuppers" ? LoL :D

OldWestChris
10-25-2013, 12:58 AM
I think that the Keurig is here to stay. We are all way too busy and moving way too fast, plus we each want it “our way.” The Keurig can accommodate all of that. PLUS, I spend WAY less at places such as Starbucks now that I can quickly throw a pod in on my way out the door in the morning. While the price of each pod could be considered expensive, it’s priced a lot lower than a fresh cup of coffee just about anywhere and I can pop a different flavor in every day of the week.