PDA

View Full Version : Last cigar is a fail

Bushman
12-21-2012, 06:34 PM
I'm a newb here so I'll give you a little back story.
Smoked cigarettes for 20 years. Gave it up.
Went to visit bro down in FL. Took me to a cigar shop in the mall.
Walked into a giant humidor and was assaulted by the most wonderful smells.
Colorful bands adorned every wrapper. The selection was limitless.
I asked the moron behind the counter what he recommended.
"Your choice mon, I don't smoke 'em they stink".
Even I couldn't believe that a cigar shop would hire a chap like this.
Luckily my bro was there and he introduced me to my first ever cigar.
It was a Cohiba. I don't remember what kind or size or ring. Just the electric blue label staring at me as I lit it sitting on a lawn chair in his pool cabana.

I tried to inhale. Choked.

It wasn't too long and I figured it out. Rolling, tasting, licking my lips. Yeah sounds weird but you know.

I quit cigarettes soon after. Went awhile without smoking anything but I couldn't get the site of that humidor and that taste out of my head.

Hinted around to wife about a Fathers day sample in the newspaper adds.
She ordered it. I succumbed to a lifetime of cigar slavery.

So now you have the back story. Today I opened my bad ass Ghurka, travel humidor. A giant, hunters orange conglomerate of a trunk. Pulled back the egg waffle padding only to discover that this was it. My last cigar. Not ever, just the last one in my possesion. ( cigar was not Ghurka)

I cradled it gently in my hands and carried it to the garage. Outside the wind was howling around 40 mph and the snow was piling up against the garage door.
I clipped the end and rolled it between my lips. Immediatley I pulled back and spat upon the cold, concrete floor. WTF? I examined the end. The cap was tight but I could see a shimmering. I think it was glue. There was something on the end of that cigar that was very bitter. I kept cutting and cutting and finally had to pull the entire cap off. Convinced it was a bad cap, I set about lighting.
Great, no pull. I had seen adds for a cigar punch for cigars that wouldn't pull but had never experienced one. Now I had. I quickly went to my tool pouch, extracted a #16 sinker and pushed it down the center. Now I had just enough pull to get it lit.
You might ask why I would even waste my time?
Last cigar, Christmas break, fridge full of adult bevs.
Long story short it was bitter and really sucked ass.
I don't know why. It was from a 3 cigar assortment. 4 of one, 4 of another and 4 of this one. All the rest were quite good. This one.....not so.

So that my freinds is the story of my day. Any ideas as to why it was all gummy on the cap and bitter on the draw would be appreciated.

Your newb,
Bushman

Remo
12-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Maybe too much Pectin on the cap :sh sucks though! You could always send me your address though and maybe I could send you a draw tool :tu

Mattso3000
12-21-2012, 06:57 PM
Yup. Handmade product, sometimes it just goes wrong. Sucks that it was on the last cigar.

icehog3
12-21-2012, 07:07 PM
My last cigar. Not ever, just the last one in my possesion. ( cigar was not Ghurka)

Well, at least it seemed to start off positively! ;) :r

Better luck with the next one, Jeff.

DaBear
12-21-2012, 07:36 PM
Yup. Handmade product, sometimes it just goes wrong. Sucks that it was on the last cigar.

:tpd:

I just assume there's always a bad one(plugged, off flavors, etc) in a box and try not to write a smoke off based on the one and chalk it up to the individual cigar itself, not the blend/line.

iaMkcK
12-21-2012, 08:27 PM
Well, at least it seemed to start off positively! ;)

Oh you are evil :D

Remo
12-21-2012, 08:58 PM
Oh you are A DOUCHEBAG!! :D

Fixt :r

TJarv
12-21-2012, 09:01 PM
Maybe too much Pectin on the cap :sh sucks though! You could always send me your address though and maybe I could send you a draw tool :tu

Sound advice right here

icehog3
12-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Fixt :r

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/cartmanscrew.jpg

CigarSquid
12-21-2012, 10:32 PM

Sound advice right here

Better hurry and Mike up on his offer.. Before he.. backs out.:banger

Remo
12-22-2012, 09:26 AM
Better hurry and Mike up on his offer.. Before he.. backs out.:banger

Got the addy :tu

CigarSquid
12-22-2012, 09:51 AM
Sweet!

Tredegar
12-22-2012, 11:03 AM
He's not too far from Canada......

cmitch
12-22-2012, 10:16 PM
Got the addy :tu

Might as well send him the newsletter, too!

CigarSquid
12-22-2012, 10:17 PM
Might as well send him the newsletter, too!

I'm sure Mike was on that already.. Knowing him.. Such a nice guy.:r

cmitch
12-22-2012, 10:43 PM
I'm sure Mike was on that already.. Knowing him.. Such a nice guy.:r

He said he'd send him a draw tool. I'd probably slip up and send him a pencil.

Whipper Snapper
12-22-2012, 10:57 PM
He said he'd send him a draw tool. I'd probably slip up and send him a pencil.

Lead imparts a pleasant taste to cigars. At least that's what I heard.

edstoggie
12-22-2012, 11:17 PM
Last Cigar!!! That sucks, I had that happen to me on my first 70ct humidor. Then I found Cigar Bid. I had to get a bigger 500ct humidor. Now I get down to 200ct and I begin to re stalk. Cigar Bid is great but watch out its addictive! Now, no more last cigar...awesome!

FreakShow
12-23-2012, 01:35 PM
Last Cigar!!! That sucks, I had that happen to me on my first 70ct humidor. Then I found Cigar Bid. I had to get a bigger 500ct humidor. Now I get down to 200ct and I begin to re stalk. Cigar Bid is great but watch out its addictive! Now, no more last cigar...awesome!

+1 to CigarBid. I've found many good cigars for $1/each over there.

Bushman
12-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Well it just so happens that the very next day a new shipment arrived straight from the Dominican Republic. Don Lucas cigar factory!
My pops was there on vacation, toured the place and sent me two boxes.
I tried one so far. Not bad at all. Although there is no indicator on the box as to what it contains. It says Robusto Sampler. It obviously contains at least 4 different wrappers but that is all I can ascertain.
I've checked the website and the descriptions are pretty vague. Frankly I don't know what the heck I have.
I do like the Robusto size though. At least for the winter time in the garage or outside. Smokable without the fear of hypothermia. LOL

Sadden
12-24-2012, 11:52 PM
Well it just so happens that the very next day a new shipment arrived straight from the Dominican Republic. Don Lucas cigar factory!
My pops was there on vacation, toured the place and sent me two boxes.
I tried one so far. Not bad at all. Although there is no indicator on the box as to what it contains. It says Robusto Sampler. It obviously contains at least 4 different wrappers but that is all I can ascertain.
I've checked the website and the descriptions are pretty vague. Frankly I don't know what the heck I have.
I do like the Robusto size though. At least for the winter time in the garage or outside. Smokable without the fear of hypothermia. LOL

Ive had that happen before. It sucks because if you get something you like you cant get more!