PDA

View Full Version : Quickie Poll: PS3 or XBox360?

Catfish
12-19-2012, 05:12 PM
The kids are begging for a gaming system. Overall, what is the better option? If this makes any difference, the games they want to play (but they understand that some games only work on some systems) are:

CoD Black Ops
Forza
Grand Theft Auto
Lara Croft
Gran Turismo
Halo
Need For Speed
Spiderman games

I need 2 controllers, a 250gig box, and games.

PearlS4
12-19-2012, 05:14 PM
Forza is a Xbox only title. The PS3 is more versatile. Can be used as a decent Blu-ray player, the controllers are far more ergonomic.

themoneycollector
12-19-2012, 05:17 PM
This is an endless debate and honestly you will be ok whichever you choose.

a. Xbox has IMO better online play and exclusives, but you pay a fee for that little bit extra so it evens out. Forza and Halo are only on Xbox.
b. PS3 is actually a stronger machine and at least gives you an extra bluray player around the house with most titles offering free online play. Gran turismo is only on PS3.

Ultimately, I would say pick whichever system your kids have more friends to play with. It's the online play that offers the most value and playing with friends is the fun part.

emopunker2004
12-19-2012, 05:21 PM
Ps3 online play is free and Xbox is a paid for thing. However you get what you pay for as PSN has had numerous problems. I have an Xbox and love it.

Robulous78
12-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Xbox 360 all the way...

elderboy02
12-19-2012, 05:26 PM
PS3 :tu

GWN
12-19-2012, 05:31 PM
Halo is X-box only as well.
PS3 has advantage of built-in Blu-Ray, if that's a consideration, but it really comes down to games. There are several that are PS-only, like Uncharted.
We've had an X-box for several years and have been happy with it

big_jaygee
12-19-2012, 05:36 PM
xbox 360 here. yes you pay for xbox live but it has never been hacked like the playstation network was a couple of years back. i have friends who have both but really only play xbox for online gaming. if not going on line then it goes back to game titles. :2

Digs
12-19-2012, 05:40 PM
2 years ago I traded my Xbox for a my PS3 so my Xbox info maybe incorrect if anything has changed

1. PS3 controllers have built in rechargeable batteries that recharge right off the PS3. Xbox always needs batteries or you have to buy rechargeable.
2. My PS3 accepts 3 different types of external memory, mine is older has a built in 80gig harddrive.
3. Plays blu rays without buying additional accessories
4. PS3 online is free, never really had any issues??
5. When I traded my Xbox games I ended up basically buying the very same titles in PS3, I noticed instantly the PS3 games played much smoother and didn’t stop momentarily and load were the very same Xbox game had to load, also noticed in first person shooters the characters moved mush smoother and didn’t get snagged on items you couldn’t see.
6. PS3 is more like a PC- can use a web browser -download games and saves right to it. I haven’t even explored half the crap on it.
7. Also my Xbox Halo edition didn’t have any USB hooks up on component video.

PearlS4
12-19-2012, 06:04 PM
I don't think he's asking which console is more popular, (360), he wants to know which one is actually better, (PS3):D

shilala
12-19-2012, 06:11 PM
x360, by a longshot.
Games are cheaper to buy second hand, titles are better, Kinect is a blast for the kids, I could go on forever.
PS3 is also an awesome platform, but for the kids it's a no-brainer. I think ps3 is a teenager or young adult platform more than for kids. Kids don't care about bluray. You can add a bluray drive to the xbox if you want, but you never will. It does a great job with the kid's dvd's, you'll be set.
The only thing I'd sweat at this point is that there hasn't been a major rev of the platform for a long time now. I'd think it's gonna upgrade soon.
Lastly, pick up an adult-used system from one of the guys here or somewhere you trust. Check Craigslist if you have to. You'll save a FORTUNE. :tu

hammondc
12-19-2012, 06:35 PM
I have both. The PS3 has been in the closet for 2.5 years. Not even close for online play. The only advantage I see to PS3 now is really only BluRay. You can buy those for $40 now.

Digs
12-19-2012, 06:52 PM
I have also had 2 Xbox's that had issues and needed to go in for service one had got the red ring of death and there HUGE power supply went bad on my Halo Edition.

big_jaygee
12-19-2012, 06:54 PM
or you can buy a used one and wait till next year when the new xbox720 (concept title) comes out and it is supposed to have a built in bluray player as well :tu

hammondc
12-19-2012, 07:05 PM
I have also had 2 Xbox's that had issues and needed to go in for service one had got the red ring of death and there HUGE power supply went bad on my Halo Edition.

I had this once. Zero problems out of the new slim Xbox.

EricF
12-19-2012, 07:21 PM
Both of my boys have Xbox and both love it. Never even asked for a PS3 and they have played on a PS3 at friends houses.

Catfish
12-19-2012, 07:40 PM
Guess I should have been specific about the kids' ages. 16 Y/O daughter and a 10 Y/O son.

Malakai
12-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Xbox! I have a ps3 as well but only use it for its Bluray

Rhino
12-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Xbox 360, My PS3 is in a box.

Blak Smyth
12-20-2012, 05:03 AM
2 years ago I traded my Xbox for a my PS3 so my Xbox info maybe incorrect if anything has changed

1. PS3 controllers have built in rechargeable batteries that recharge right off the PS3. Xbox always needs batteries or you have to buy rechargeable.
2. My PS3 accepts 3 different types of external memory, mine is older has a built in 80gig harddrive.
3. Plays blu rays without buying additional accessories
4. PS3 online is free, never really had any issues??
5. When I traded my Xbox games I ended up basically buying the very same titles in PS3, I noticed instantly the PS3 games played much smoother and didn’t stop momentarily and load were the very same Xbox game had to load, also noticed in first person shooters the characters moved mush smoother and didn’t get snagged on items you couldn’t see.
6. PS3 is more like a PC- can use a web browser -download games and saves right to it. I haven’t even explored half the crap on it.
7. Also my Xbox Halo edition didn’t have any USB hooks up on component video.

#1 -False, they make rechargable battery packs that charge off the Xbox or USB (Only thing I ever use).
#4 -PS3 online is total garbage compared to xbox live (You get what youpay for in this case) and you have no voice communication. There leader boards all all hacked and they have little quality control or maintenance.
#5 -I played PS3 and Xbox and can not tell a difference in graphics or motions.

Xbox is my competitive gaming system of choice, the Blue Ray player is the only advantage that PS3 has but for me I wouldn't watch blue rays on my gaming TV anyways. I also prefer the Xbox controllers, I do not like having buttons called Square, Triangle, Circle, Etc...

This is like asking which is better, iPhone or Android.

That was a common problem about 8 years ago, seldom any issues anymore.

The PS3 is more versatile. Can be used as a decent Blu-ray player, the controllers are far more ergonomic.

I disagree, the PS controllers are slimmer but not more "ergonomic", in fact PS controllers have been pretty much the same for every system and Xbox has done tons of work to make a more ergonomic controller although a couple of their designs faced total failure. Ps3 is like holding two flat ice cream cones.

CigarSquid
12-20-2012, 06:27 AM
Love my Xbox purchase.. Haven't had it for a year yet, but love it.

I do not mind paying for the service. I can find year subs for less with all the discount sites.

I know I am not using the Xbox to its potential.. Part of that is laziness on me. Movies, Music, etc

Last system I had was PS2 slim. I am not a huge gamer.. Use it more for Hulu Plus and Netflix.. Glad I went with it.

aich75013
12-20-2012, 07:55 AM
If they are going to play online with their friends, find out what system their friends have.

Blak Smyth
12-20-2012, 08:00 AM
If they are going to play online with their friends, find out what system their friends have.

This is really most important for online play, my friends all play on Xbox so that is huge for me.

shilala
12-20-2012, 09:47 AM
Guess I should have been specific about the kids' ages. 16 Y/O daughter and a 10 Y/O son.
My daughter is 16, she plays xbox live all the time. Halo and left4dead2.
The 11 year old daughter could care less about xbox except when her cousins come around and they play the kinect dance game and stuff.
My almost 16 year old stepson has a ps2, never played it. He plays xbox a lot. COD on Live, mainly. Has never so much as whispered about a ps3.

dave
12-20-2012, 10:02 AM
(Sheepishly) Sorry....I'll let myself out...my screen only showed first two words of this thread....I dropped by to vote "YES", but now I see I'm way in the wrong place......I thought it a little strange it'd be in 'Entertainment, but then figured, 'that works'. bye

equetefue
12-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Go Xbox. Your kids will appreciated as most of their friends will have Xbox as well. Is all about the networking and Xbox live is that much better than the playstation network