PDA

View Full Version : Bonded Leather Furniture?

maninblack
12-17-2012, 05:52 AM
So my wife and I are looking for new furniture and she wants leather, as do I. I keep seeing this bonded leather stuff pop up but it's making me leary. Not alot of reviews out there, but those that are there are not good. Anybody have experience with it? We have three kids and two dogs and I want something durable. Is real leather the way to go? Thanks.

bighairlogo
12-17-2012, 06:18 AM
bonded leather is made up of leather fibers not whole pieces of hide. It is much less durable than real leather.

Subvet642
12-17-2012, 06:34 AM
It's sometimes called lacquered leather. It is leather but not top grain so they coat it with a clear shiny coating to simulate the finish of top grain leather. On that note, avoid it at all costs. The wife and I got a couch from Ikea that was called lacquered leather; the coating started to peel off in a couple of months. Vinyl is far more durable, and that's how we'll go next time.

gnbikes
12-17-2012, 07:58 AM
Sigh, there are several fabrics being called "bonded leather". We bought a couch and 2 recliners and couldn't be more happy. Ours is actually a vinyl fabric that has 30% leather that has been homogenized in it. It breathers better then straight vinyl and feels like real leather. We've only had them a year, so I can't comment on durability.
Garry

maninblack
12-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the help! Looks like I'm going to stay away from the bonded leather.

n3uka
12-17-2012, 10:19 PM
I sell furniture for a living. Definitely good choice to stay away from bonded leather.

omowasu
12-18-2012, 12:40 AM
Bonded leather is not recommended... Its really just a plastic overcoat on top of either a reconstituted cowhide base or even worse, a base of the cowhide shaved from the lowest part of the dermis that would otherwise be used for scrap. Its really just a way to call cheap plastic material leather, nothing more...

That said if the furniture is cheap and will be used in an area where it will be destroyed anyway, it might be a good buy... Just remember, "bonded leather" = "plastic".

kelmac07
12-18-2012, 12:42 AM
You and the wife want leather...and you have kids and dogs?? Good luck with that brother. :D

maninblack
12-18-2012, 05:16 AM
You and the wife want leather...and you have kids and dogs?? Good luck with that brother. :D

Yeah I know, I felt the same way. But what momma wants, momma generally gets.

bighairlogo
12-18-2012, 05:32 AM
My parents still have a pair of leather lay-z-boy recliners that have survived 20 years, two kids, dogs, and grandchildren.

billybarue
12-18-2012, 07:39 AM
Costco looks to have some nice leather furniture. Quality is always first rate there.

E.J.
12-18-2012, 08:55 AM
My parents still have a pair of leather lay-z-boy recliners that have survived 20 years, two kids, dogs, and grandchildren.

Good leather is as durable as it gets. I have had a leather chair, ottoman, couch and loveseat in our main living area for at least 10 years. 2 kids growing kids, currently 16 and 7, at least one big dog, currently 2. It has taken a beating and looks great....

mosesbotbol
12-18-2012, 09:07 AM
Don't go for "leather match" which is basically vinyl for no seating surfaces. As important as the leather is or isn't, the construction of the sofa is the most important. Look for hardwood frame with 8 way hand tied coils.

I like the Costco idea just because you can return it if you don't like it in the future, but selection can be limited and vary between markets.