PDA

View Full Version : E.P. Carillo Inch Maduro

omowasu
12-03-2012, 09:07 PM
I had this log sitting around the humidor for a while, I figured I would smoke it to make room for 4 more cigars. Seriously, this stogie is a massive 64 ring guage x 6". And for occupying all that space, it was a less than impressive smoke. In fact it was subpar - and I hate to say this because I have liked other EPC smokes including the El Rico Habano.

For starters, though huge, this smoke was underfilled. It was very light weight for the size, and after the cut, had a draw like wind through the trees in the winter. No resistance whatsoever.

Off the light, there was a bitter smack as the predominant flavor, similar to day old robusto coffee. I didnt like it at all. I tried to power through it and toward the first third mark other flavors did develop. Namely leather and some spice, with bitter tones moving toward the back of the taste profile.

Draw on this behemoth remained ridiculously loose. I think the hot burn from a loose draw may have impacted the flavors somewhat.

At the half mark, I noticed a funky dry zinc taste, similar to taking a ColdEeze cough drop. I had to extinguish it soon after, the flavor profile just didnt agree with me.

I cant recommed this one - underfilled, a loose draw, lack of maduro goodness and a bitter flavor profile put this one to pasture. Maybe I got a bad one - if I did, please let me know! :r

Ogre
12-04-2012, 11:27 AM
I love E.P. line of cigars, but I will have to pass on this one.

Nelenea
12-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Wind through trees in the winter...

I love it.

I have heard also that these were subpar as well. Thank you for confirming and for the review )

never_enough
12-04-2012, 01:47 PM
I like EPC cigars, but had no intention of trying this one. And now I REALLY won't be trying it. Thanks for the review!

STEVE S
12-04-2012, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the review, and the heads up.

alfredo_buscatti
12-04-2013, 05:32 PM
I just smoked my first 5 7/8 X 60 Maduro and it will probably be my last. I have a Natural of the same size, and it's my hope it will be more flavorful. I'm not good at the associated terms of leather, etc., so I'll just say that the flavor was thin until about 2.5 inches to go. If a moderate full flavor such as that had been present I would have liked the cigar a lot more. But $10 for the single wasn't worth it even though it went for about two hours.

I'm really a pipe guy who loves cigars and wish that I could describe my cigar experiences better, but hey, after I smoke another 1000 I'll know more;).