PDA

View Full Version : La Duena Petit Belicoso

omowasu
12-03-2012, 08:41 PM
One may have read that these smokes were blended by Pete Johnson for DP Garcias daughter, and that would be correct. One may also assume that because these cigars were rolled for a lady they would be mild and singular. Nothing could be further from the truth...

Initial pre-light whiffs of the dark Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper yielded notes of raisins and brown sugar which were wonderful on the nose. Interestingly, Connecticut Broadleaf is also used in the binder and filler of the La Duena.

After the light, a whole variety of flavors emerged that included overtones of cedar and citrus, with interesting notes of spice and floral in the background. These flavors progressed and changed throughout the smoke, with the second half almost tasting infused even though it was not an infused smoke... It was definitely unique, and was highlighted by a complete lack of bitter NC flavor notes! Retrohaling (nosing) is a must with this one to capture all of the flavors.

The only negative about this smoke was that it is indeed medium-bodied. It didnt stand up to the glass of Makers Mark I was enjoying with the cigar. This one would be better with just a plain old glass of water. I definitely recommend this cigar.

dozer
12-03-2012, 10:35 PM
I really enjoy the petit lancero vitola of these

longknocker
12-04-2012, 03:18 AM
Nice Review, Scott!:dr:tu

STEVE S
12-04-2012, 06:39 AM
I really enjoy the petit lancero vitola of these

I also love this size, thanks for posting your review. :tu

Zane
12-04-2012, 07:06 AM
This is the next cigar on my smoking rotation.

How long does it typically take you to get through a petite belicoso?

never_enough
12-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Sounds good. Might need to pick one up at the B&M.

mkarnold1
12-04-2012, 02:16 PM
This is the next cigar on my smoking rotation.

How long does it typically take you to get through a petite belicoso?

I've had a couple of these. It took me between 45 min. to an hour to finish them. And I like these a lot. They may not have matched up well with bourbon but they worked pretty well with an IPA.

gnukfu
12-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Got a box of the belicoso. These are great smokes.

68TriShield
12-05-2012, 05:10 PM
I tried one just the other day and agree,delicious :)

VirtualSmitty
12-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Very good cigar :tu

MarkinAZ
12-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Thanks for the review on the La Duena PB Scott:tu Both our local B&M' have these, just haven't burned one at this time...

gnukfu
12-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the review on the La Duena PB Scott:tu Both our local B&M' have these, just haven't burned one at this time...

Burn one Mark. You won't regret it.

omowasu
12-08-2012, 10:19 PM
I had another one of these and it was just as good. Now its got me thinking about the use of Connecticut Broadleaf and if that is the reason for the flavor profile of this one - the filler is Nicaraguan and Connecticut Broad, the binder is Nicaraguan and Connecticut Broad, and the wrapper is Connecticut Broad.

Connecticut Broadleaf is a unique tobacco for sure, its thick, veiny, oily and packs a flavor punch. Most manufacturers use it sparingly because it is a hard leaf to work with and once stripped of the thick veins, its the most expensive for usable tobacco to cost of any leaf. Its also cured on the stalk in the USA, and has time to absorb flavors of the entire plant.

This one has me looking forward to more Connecticut Broadleaf cigars.

whodeeni
12-09-2012, 07:22 PM
I've been on the fence about these and never grabbed
one. I think i'll get a corona the next time i see them.
Thanks for your great review!