PDA

View Full Version : Skiing/Snowboarding

mhailey
11-24-2012, 05:09 PM
I searched and did not find a thread for any people that love to slide down the snow on two sticks (or a board). I must say it is so much fun watching my daughters learn to ski. I know that I just love it but watching my daughters fall in love with skiing is icing on the cake!! I spent Wednesday watching them learn on the Magic Carpet (surface lift for absolute beginners), Thursday they moved to the poma lift and worked on their snow plow and turns. Today, they spent their day on the chair lifts and mastering the green slopes. I feel that they will be intermediate by the end of this season.

Does anyone else ski/snowboard?

I can't wait to fire up a Tatuaje Reserva and relax.

Matt

Robulous78
11-24-2012, 05:18 PM
That's cool Matt... Glad your daughters are picking up the same activity as their old man...

Remember piece of pizza & French fries... LoL that's how I learned ( and also why you can hear me chanting pizza pizza pizza when I start going to fast... :r

mhailey
11-24-2012, 05:25 PM
Yeah, that's what I kept saying to them. "Remember your pizzas and turns!!"
By the end of the day, they were leaving me behind.

Robulous78
11-24-2012, 05:30 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun... Bet they will get really good at it seeing they are learning in Colorado...

I learned in NC... Slopes aren't quite as challenging... And I'm still known to spend a fair portion of my time on my ass wiped out... :r

Remo
11-24-2012, 06:09 PM
I used to be a ski bum, missed alot of high school because of it, now I just don't have the time or $$ to ski. I went to Park City a few years ago and ski'd again, that was a blast, I do miss it.

Nathan
11-24-2012, 06:36 PM
I just got back into skiing last season, loving it and can't wait to make it out this year. I might try and hit up some runs next weekend. Unfortunately we don't have the elevation change for good runs here but it's enough to keep the skills up to take a yearly ski trip.

mahtofire14
11-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Snowboard quite a bit but the snow here in MN has been pretty bad last couple years.

mhailey
11-24-2012, 07:50 PM
Yeah, its not an inexpensive sport (but neither are cigars :D) I purchased season passes for my wife, my daughters and myself, which makes it much more affordable on a per day basis. The equipment is all second hand so that wasn't too much. My mom and dad live just outside of Winterpark, Colorado (Granby) so we have free lodging. So far we have had three days skiing, and one GREAT cigar enjoyed at the end of the day.

I have never skied back east. I hear that you guys have to deal with a lot of ice on the slopes. We are blessed to have some nice snow (most of the time).

Salvelinus
11-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Teaching kids to ski is great. There are way to many people that sit inside all winter and pout about the cold.

I'm forced to watch videos just about every christmas of me learning to ski. For some reason my parents thought it was ok to leash me to one of them and put me in a helmet so large I couldn't keep my head up. No pizza here, I stared straight down at my day-glo Rad Dogs and went for it. Probably a good thing there was a leash and an oversized helmet. My wife enjoys the videos a lot more than I do...

RWhisenand
11-24-2012, 10:28 PM
Skied since I was stationed in Colorado in the USAF. Decided after my enlistment was up I'd become a ski bumb. Well went to college first, then learned a trade, then after some years effectively became a ski bumb for 4 years. Loved it, we still go to Lake Tahoe a couple time a year if the snow's good. Enjoy teaching your kid to ski, can't wait until my son can ski. Taught my daughter last year!