PDA

View Full Version : I went and flaked out

RevSmoke
11-20-2012, 05:17 PM
My wife has always said I'm a bit flaky, well...

There was some discussion in another thread about comfortable pipe tobaccos, and I got all excited about some stuff that I had run out of. So I cruised over to Pipes and Cigars and was looking around. If I ordered a minimum of 4oz of particular tobaccos, the price was cheaper. If I ordered a minimum of $100, shipping was free.

Well, I got all flaked out and placed this order.

McClelland #2000 Fragrant Matured Cake
A light, soft sweet cake tobacco that will appeal to those who have been smoking the various sweet, black tobaccos and aromatics because of its cooler, dryer smoking qualities and natural tobacco taste.

McClelland #2010 Classic Virginia
A blend of Eastern and Middle Belt lemon, orange and orange-red Virginias. Sweet, smooth & zesty. A light bodied, naturally sweet , satisfying Virginia.

McClelland #2015 VA Flake w/ Perique
Made from orange and red Virginias to which enough Perique has been added to create a refreshing smoke with a satisfying richness and depth of flavor. Well-balanced, dark matured cake.

McClelland #2020 Matured Cake
Aging of this blend of Lemon and Orange Virginias, Xanthi and Latakia in cakes develops an extra margin of smoothness and an uncommonly rich flavor that is refined, not heavy.

McClelland #2025 English Cavendish Flake
A pleasant, rather light, broken, small-flake tobacco composed of lemon Brazilian and orange Middle Belt leaf seasoned with enough Xanthi to be satisfying throughout the day without becoming tiresome. Rounder than a straight Virginia.

McClelland #2035 Dark Navy Flake
A beautifully dark, pungent cake. It is sweet and rich without being as strong or stout in body as dark flakes have traditionally been. Eastern belt lemon, leaf and cutter grade tobacco, aged and lightly stoved.

McClelland #2050 Oriental Cavendish
An unusual mixture containing no Latakia, but still has a rich, round flavor. Liberal quantities of Orientals and a special Virginia Cavendish combine with Black Cavendish to make this a tobacco which should satisfy a great many smokers.

McClelland #5115 Old World Classic Cake
A matured cake blend of the finest lemon and orange-red Virginias. It is enhanced with natural fruit essences. Lightly sweet, satisfying, smooth, but with a little zest. This is Matured Virginia at its traditional best.

Gawith & Hoggarth Bob's Chocolate Flake
The main characteristics of this flake come from the 8% Latakia included in the blend and the smooth chocolate aroma. Brazilian, Zimbabwe and Malawi Virginia leaf make up 82% of the blend providing a mild/medium smoke cooled with the addition of 8% Malawi sun cured and 2% Malawi Burley. The Latakia cools but also adds strength and aroma. The cocoa casings and chocolate top flavors are rounded off with vanilla and other flavors providing sweet notes in this very unique and popular blend.

That's right, 4oz of each of the McClelland bulk broken flakes (I noticed I didn't have any left of them). Finally, one last flake I to top the free shipping mark.

These are all great blends and age impeccably well. I put them all in 1/2 pint mason jars and set them aside. I kept about 2 bowls of each out to smoke in the next few weeks.

I had some 5115 last night, and it was grand. I rubbed it out completely, put it in my Becker billiard, lit it up and had a cool flavorful smoke. Although there is a topnote, it is done with a light hand - you notice it in the bag and in the room note - but the tobacco is of exquisite quality and the "fruit essences" do not cover up the wonderful flavors of the constituent Virginias.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Remo
11-20-2012, 05:26 PM
I have no idea about pipes Todd, but sounds and looks like a great selection :tu

RevSmoke
11-20-2012, 05:29 PM
I have no idea about pipes Todd, but sounds and looks like a great selection :tu

I could send something your way so that you could learn about them - say a "starter kit?" Interested?

Remo
11-20-2012, 05:30 PM
I could send something your way so that you could learn about them - say a "starter kit?" Interested?

I just wouldn't have a clue bro. :sh Thanks for the generous offer but I doubt I would be smoking it too much, keep it for someone who is really interested in pipes :tu

RevSmoke
11-20-2012, 05:51 PM
I just wouldn't have a clue bro. :sh Thanks for the generous offer but I doubt I would be smoking it too much, keep it for someone who is really interested in pipes :tu

Just thought I'd offer.

Hey, here's a thought. When we get together for some fishing next time (I am hoping that will happen), I will make sure to have a couple pipes so that you can give one a try. I can see you enjoying a pipe in your favorite stream.

I love a straight stemmed pipe when it is raining and I am fishing. I turn the pipe upside down and keep on smoking. The tobacco chamber doesn't get wet, the tobacco doesn't fall out, and I can keep on smoking - even in the rain. Do that with a cigar. :tu

Remo
11-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Just thought I'd offer.

Hey, here's a thought. When we get together for some fishing next time (I am hoping that will happen), I will make sure to have a couple pipes so that you can give one a try. I can see you enjoying a pipe in your favorite stream.

I love a straight stemmed pipe when it is raining and I am fishing. I turn the pipe upside down and keep on smoking. The tobacco chamber doesn't get wet, the tobacco doesn't fall out, and I can keep on smoking - even in the rain. Do that with a cigar. :tu

Yeah, would love to come out for some Steelhead!!

RevSmoke
11-20-2012, 06:06 PM
Yeah, would love to come out for some Steelhead!!

You are welcome to do that this spring, would be glad to have you.

688sonarmen
11-20-2012, 06:47 PM
Todd after that post I am excited as well:)
Does the chocolate flake have any flavoring added? It sounds like really nice stuff but the name seems to imply a top note.

RevSmoke
11-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Todd after that post I am excited as well:)
Does the chocolate flake have any flavoring added? It sounds like really nice stuff but the name seems to imply a top note.

Yes it does, go up and read through the description. It is very tasty and the top toe isn't cloying as it is with many of the aromatics most are familiar with.

Peace of The Lord be with you.

CRIMPS
11-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Just thought I'd offer.

You just blew my mind. I am very intrigued and will, one day when we move north, will try this.

And, all the fishing talk has made me jealous :)

Tallman
11-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Todd, a wonderful selection. Speaking of flakes, have you tried Sam Gawith full Virginia flake, sam's flake, or best brown flake? What about Esoterica Stonehaven? And finally, though not a flake, have you tried McClelland 5100 Red Virginia?

Also....I am often in Wisconsin, though likely not far enough north to be near you. Are you anywhere near Menomonie, Tomah, or Beaver Dam?

Best regards,

Murray

Emjaysmash
11-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Sounds like I need to come over to make sure all these tobaccos are all right.

You can thank me later.. :tu

iaMkcK
11-21-2012, 09:37 AM
I have this vision of me being an old man, living in a woody area, in a house.. Sitting, clothed in a finely threaded robe, with years of use -- lazily rocking next to the fire place.. And a pipe hanging out of my mouth, puffing ever so often.

One day I shall get into pipes to fulfill this legacy that I've dreamt of since a child. Just gotta take the plunge down the slope. I'll courage up one day. One day...

Mister Moo
11-21-2012, 09:44 AM
I have this vision of me being an old man, living in a woody area, in a house.. Sitting, clothed in a finely threaded robe, with years of use -- lazily rocking next to the fire place.. And a pipe hanging out of my mouth, puffing ever so often.

One day I shall get into pipes to fulfill this legacy that I've dreamt of since a child. Just gotta take the plunge down the slope. I'll courage up one day. One day...You know, for the price of a Missouri Meerschaum Legend (corncob pipe), a bag of fluffy pipecleaners, a pouch of Carter Hall Burley (tried and true OTC tobacco) and an old golf tee or nail (pipe tamper/scraper in a pinch) you are in business smoking the real deal American classic for, uh, about $9.00.

A Missouri Meerschaum cob and Carter Hall (or Sir Walter Raleigh or Half&Half) make a stellar combination for novice or experienced pipesmokers. They cannot be beat in front of the fireplace, on a fishing trip, in the truck or on the back porch. A $200 briar pipe is NOT required to enjoy the sport. :tu

CRIMPS
11-21-2012, 10:19 AM
You know, for the price of a Missouri Meerschaum Legend (corncob pipe), a bag of fluffy pipecleaners, a pouch of Carter Hall Burley (tried and true OTC tobacco) and an old golf tee or nail (pipe tamper/scraper in a pinch) you are in business smoking the real deal American classic for, uh, about $9.00.

A Missouri Meerschaum cob and Carter Hall (or Sir Walter Raleigh or Half&Half) make a stellar combination for novice or experienced pipesmokers. They cannot be beat in front of the fireplace, on a fishing trip, in the truck or on the back porch. A $200 briar pipe is NOT required to enjoy the sport. :tu

Thanks for the perspective.

Steve
11-21-2012, 11:27 AM

In other words...it's hard to smoke a pipe while sewing a skirt :noon

Sorry Mike, had to do it :D

Steve
11-21-2012, 11:28 AM
Sweet selection Todd!

RevSmoke
11-21-2012, 12:55 PM
You just blew my mind. I am very intrigued and will, one day when we move north, will try this.

Why wait till you move north, do it now. If you have a pipe, all it takes is having to be outside in the rain and the desire to smoke your pipe while out there.

And, all the fishing talk has made me jealous :)

Todd, a wonderful selection. Speaking of flakes, have you tried Sam Gawith full Virginia flake, Yes! An excellent tobacco, have 2 pounds cellared. sam's flake, or best brown flake? Have tried them both. Good smokes, but I like some others better. What about Esoterica Stonehaven? Another one I like to keep some of in the tobacco cellar, though I don't smoke it as often as I might. And finally, though not a flake, have you tried McClelland 5100 Red Virginia? Yes, I have some 5100, love it straight up, but it also makes something nice to blend in with other things - Dan Sweet Vanilla Honeydew and 5100 (at a 50/50 mixture) is a nice aromatic.

Also....I am often in Wisconsin, though likely not far enough north to be near you. Are you anywhere near Menomonie, Tomah, or Beaver Dam? I am not near any of them, though I have a couple beaver dams on my property up north. They are all 2 hours or more from me.

Tallman
11-21-2012, 01:25 PM
Todd, you've clearly got all the good stuff, so I can't send you anything you don't already have!

I had hoped you might be near enough to one of those spots that we could hook up and share a cigar or pipe.

Have a great day.

RevSmoke
11-21-2012, 03:20 PM
Todd, you've clearly got all the good stuff, so I can't send you anything you don't already have!

I had hoped you might be near enough to one of those spots that we could hook up and share a cigar or pipe.

Have a great day.

Hey, let me know when you will be in one of those spots, maybe we can hook up. My cabin up north is about 2.25 hours from Menomonie (near Chippewa Falls?). If you want to come up in the spring/early summer, I'd gladly see if I can get away for a few days and take you fishing.

What brings you up this direction? Business? If so, what exactly?

Tallman
11-21-2012, 06:20 PM

Hey, let me know when you will be in one of those spots, maybe we can hook up. My cabin up north is about 2.25 hours from Menomonie (near Chippewa Falls?). If you want to come up in the spring/early summer, I'd gladly see if I can get away for a few days and take you fishing.

What brings you up this direction? Business? If so, what exactly?

Todd, that's very nice, andI hope to take you up on that offer next summer! If you ever find your way to Northwest Arkansas, I'd be happy to take you fishing. Of course, one of my friends from Wisconsin says I fish for "green carp". He's not a big fan of largemouth bass fishing....

I work for Walmart, and we have a distribution center in each of those locations...I visit each one several times each year.

hammondc
11-21-2012, 06:27 PM

Helluva haul!!!

I would be interested IF YOU WANTED TO OFFSET SOME OF THE COST. I am not fishing for freebies here. I just have always bought 90% of my stuff from super folks at C&D and am a bit curious about McClelland because the other 10% was all from the 'across the pond' series.

iaMkcK
11-21-2012, 06:35 PM
Following this thread has made my urge to smoke Pipes increase greatly. I may just have to look around for some kind of starter kit. Sigh, I need a black card -- I don't want any spending limits. lol

RevSmoke
11-21-2012, 06:59 PM
Helluva haul!!!

I would be interested IF YOU WANTED TO OFFSET SOME OF THE COST. I am not fishing for freebies here. I just have always bought 90% of my stuff from super folks at C&D and am a bit curious about McClelland because the other 10% was all from the 'across the pond' series.

Love C&D tobaccos, the Tarlers are great folks and produce an incredible product.

I am not really looking to sell off any of what I just purchased. I like to cellar tobacco and so what I have of this left is put away to be opened later. I consider this an investment in future smoking pleasure. I like my Virginias and VaPers a bit aged. For example, my staple tobacco is G&H Louisiana Flake, and 500g I am finishing up now is from 2005. Next will be from 2009 and I just put up some 2012 stuff.

What I would have sent to Remo would have been a pipe, tamper, cleaners, and some small tobacco samples (probably not these) of stuff I have opened. I owe him a yet for the stupendous fishing trip he hosted for my boys and myself.

I would highly suggest going over to Pipes & Tobacco and check out their selection. Here is the link to the McClelland bulk page where I got this stuff. http://pipesandcigars.com/mcclellandbulk.html

If I might say, McClelland does flake and broken flake as well, if not better than the Lakeland boy. My favorite VaPer is G&H Louisiana Flake, and I have a soft spot for G&H Bright CR Flake and Bob's Chocolate Flake. I also have some Sam Gawith FVF and St. James Flake stashed. I keep some Rattrays around as well, Hal 'O the Wind, Old Gowrie, and Marlin Flake. A few tins of Escudo are always aging on the shelf. And some Dan Hamborger Veermaster is hiding out as well.

However, McClelland does Virginias like nobody else, and their broken flakes are outstanding. This is not to say they are necessarily better than the others mentioned, just different. There is something unique about them that is wonderful.

I'd say go order some to give it a try. Pipe & Cigar is a top notch, reputable dealer. Their prices are competative, and they have much more than just the McClelland stuff available.

hammondc
11-21-2012, 10:12 PM
Good advice! I have become more and more drawn to the pipe over the years. Most, because I have become bored with 45+ minute smoke. I can smoke a pipe in the 15-30 minutes while grilling or piddling in the garage. As I go, the rabbit hole gets deeper and deeper. Cigars were a learning curve, pipes are another whole world.

MarkinAZ
11-22-2012, 12:16 AM
My wife has always said I'm a bit flaky, well...

Congratulations on flaking out Todd. That's a nice looking sampler you put together:dr

Enjoy, but make sure MJ QC' it for you though;)