PDA

View Full Version : Old faithful

RevSmoke
11-12-2012, 01:00 PM
If you we're to pick a tobacco to fill your pipe which you know you would enjoy without much thought about your smoking it, that "old faithful" tobacco which always seems to satisfy, or just simply makes you comfortable, what would it be?

Or maybe you a couple tobaccos which you would call "old faithful"?

My first is Gawith & Hoggarth Louisiana Flake. When I light it up around either of my boys, it reminds them of Salmon fishing in the streams.

Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake would be my next one.

I have a stash cellared of all my regular rotation blends, might they fit the bill??? Possibly. I guess I'd call them the regulars, those that I "go to." I have found that in pipe tobaccos, I am not really into a whole lot of experimentation anymore, I am confident in what I like. I have tried enough blends in the last 30 years that I'm pretty content to smoke those blends which make up my "cellar" and not really veer much outside that in experimentation anymore.

What is in that list?
Escudo;
C&D - Plantation Evening, Bow-legged Bear, Back Porch, Night Train;
Rattray's - Hal 'O the Wind, Marlin Flake, Old Gowrie;
Gawith &Hoggarth - Louisiana Flake, Bright CR Flake, Mixture #12, Bob's Chocolate Flake;
Samuel Gawith - Full VA Flake, St. James Flake;
McClelland - 2050, 5100;
Dan Tobacco - Hamborger Veermaster;
Esoterica - Dorchester, Stonehaven, Penzance.

So what is your "old faithful"? What are your "staples" or your "go to" blends?

Peace of the Lord be with you.

688sonarmen
11-12-2012, 01:07 PM
Well, I have only been doing this for a few months but here is what I smoke more than often

GL Pease- Cumberland, Embarcadero, and Quiet Nights
Rattrays- Old Gowrie and Marlin Flake
Macbarren- Golden Extra and Burley
McCelland- Christmas Cheer

I started off hitting the English Blends hot and heavy but after a while gave way to more Virginia and Burley blends.

Emjaysmash
11-12-2012, 02:11 PM
I haven't been around the block as many times as you Todd, but I have a couple blends that satisfy my tastes everytime:

MacBaren - Plumcake
Solani 633 Flake
Escudo
Peterson's University Flake

pektel
11-12-2012, 02:22 PM
As of right now, I'd have to go with Frog Morton. I had some great Anniversary Kake a while back, but I've heard the blend has changed.

I also really like my tin of Old Ironsides, but I can't find that anymore.

Jon11
11-12-2012, 03:06 PM
Solani Silver Flake....Old Faithful!

Commander Quan
11-12-2012, 03:21 PM
HOTW or McClelland 2015 probably account for half of my tobacco consumption.

RevSmoke
11-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Glad to see the responses here. Also liking some of the blends listed.
Solan 633 is a great, have not had any in quite a while.
McClelland Christmas Cheer is an excellent VA, but every year it is different - my favorite year was 1994, but I have not seen any of that since I finished my last tin of it - some other years have not been so good. As a whole, it is some good stuff. And 2015 is a great bulk blend from McClelland, not one I keep around, but maybe I should get some more. Also 2010, 2020, 2025, 2035, 5115 are great blends that are reasonably priced as they come in bulk.
Of course, HOTW is also a great blend.

Peace of The Lord be with you.

DaBear
11-12-2012, 10:13 PM
I guess I'd put C&D Bayou Morning Flake as my 'old faithful.' I can fill me up a bowl of that stuff any time of day and puff away happily.

For regulars I'd go:
Frog Morton On the Town
University Flake
McClelland's Epitome(one of the club blends)
Peterson's Irish Whiskey(the only aromatic I smoke any more)

Zanaspus
11-14-2012, 06:46 AM
C&D Big & Burley, Rattray HoTW and RR, Escudo, GLP Meridian, Orlik Golden Sliced and C&D Briar Fox all come immediately to mind.

RevSmoke
11-14-2012, 11:53 AM
I haven't had Frog Morton on the Bayou or Frog Morton Across the Pond.

It has been a while since I have had any of the McClelland bulk flakes (2000, 2010, 2015, 2020, 2025, 2035, or 5115. I don't have any of them on hand either. I do have some 5100 in the cellar, but maybe I should get a few ounces of each to have around.

Peace of the Lord be with you.