PDA

View Full Version : Just got my first pipe

dwoodward
11-10-2012, 11:40 AM
I am excited to try this thing out, but have no idea where to start.

I watched a couple youtube videos on filling and lighting a pipe, but it seems everyone does it differently and claims everyone else's methods are sloppy or not correct. Is there any true correct way or should I just pick a method and try til one works for me.

Any hints / tips?

Also, looking for some good places to get some Pipe Tobacco. I got a pouch of Captain Black at the moment.

And finally, not sure whether or not I should be keeping this in my humidor or not. Any word on that?

Emjaysmash
11-10-2012, 12:21 PM
As far as filling and lighting are concerned, try them all. Whichever works best for you is the way you should go. Remember to have patience! Pipe smoking can be a bit troublesome at the beginning, but once you get the hang of it, it is quite rewarding.

As far as tobacco is concerned, there are many places to get tobacco. I usually use pipesandcigars.com, but there are others I am sure people will suggest.

If you want to keep your tobacco fresh, store it in large mouth ball jars. Don't put any tobacco or smoked pipes in your humidor, for the same reason one would separate infused from non infused cigars.

A lot of questions have been answered here: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6366

Look through it and you find answers to questions you never thought you had!

Steve
11-10-2012, 01:14 PM
As far as filling and lighting are concerned, try them all. Whichever works best for you is the way you should go. Remember to have patience! Pipe smoking can be a bit troublesome at the beginning, but once you get the hang of it, it is quite rewarding.

As far as tobacco is concerned, there are many places to get tobacco. I usually use pipesandcigars.com, but there are others I am sure people will suggest.

If you want to keep your tobacco fresh, store it in large mouth ball jars. Don't put any tobacco or smoked pipes in your humidor, for the same reason one would separate infused from non infused cigars.

A lot of questions have been answered here: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6366

Look through it and you find answers to questions you never thought you had!

Amen! Worth the "work" of learning though!

688sonarmen
11-10-2012, 01:39 PM
The best advice has allready been given. I shop at smokingpipes.com. Welcome to the hobby!

dwoodward
11-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Just had my first bowl. Don't have a "pipe lighter" so I used a one of those long stemmed bic lighters. Was pretty good tbh. Completely different from cigar smoking. I took time to make sure I was taking small draws. The pipe went out 5 or 6 times, but I just tamped it down and relit. Was pretty relaxing tbh.

Most information I have seen, everyone was expressing constant feelings of "You wont like it at first, but have patience." ... I didn't think it was too bad. Infact, I would say I actually enjoyed it. Must be all the diehard pipers trying to scare noobies away to keep prices low or something lol.