PDA

View Full Version : The Hobbit

Apoco
11-08-2012, 07:47 AM
Advanced ticket sales start today. Only certain theaters are showing it in high frame rate 3d.

TheHobbit.com

Since I have a 2 hour drive to catch the proper version - I'm glad I took the release day off from work. That midnight showing is going to be awesome/awful :)
Posted via Mobile Device

ucla695
11-09-2012, 08:12 AM
I enjoyed the Lord of the Rings Trilogy so I'm definitely going to see this!

TheHobbit.com (http://www.thehobbit.com/) linky

oooo35980
11-09-2012, 08:15 AM
I can't wait for this, I'll be skipping the migraine and seeing it in 2-d though.

mahtofire14
11-09-2012, 12:53 PM
This is going to be awesome!!!

The Poet
11-09-2012, 01:50 PM
I'll likely wait for the DVD (unless some Cutie-Pie asks me to take her . . . which ain't NEARLY as likely), but I too am jazzed. I've been a Tolkien fan since the late 60s. My only doubt lies in Jackson stretching this into 3 films. One of 2 1/2 hours should suffice, two is overkill, and three is just asking for trouble.

But we'll see.

mjdx88
11-09-2012, 02:10 PM
I agree with the poet, I think 3 films is over kill, 2 is even on the long side for the story. This is one of my all time favorite books.

oooo35980
11-09-2012, 02:14 PM
I don't think it's too bad, granted The Hobbit isn't as long as the trilogy, but they left a lot out in order to fit the trilogy into 8.5 hours. I assume since it's so long we are going to have a lot more dialogue that was actually in the book, which will be a good thing. Now if they try to shoehorn in a love interest or something similarly stupid that could be a problem.

Genetic Defect
11-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Nice

Starscream
11-09-2012, 04:48 PM
As an English major in college, I'm embarresed to say that I've never read any Tolkien. I have read his friend C.S. Lewis' entire Narnia series and The Screwtape Letters (Narnia was good as long as Peter, Edmund, and Lucy were involved), and The Screwtape Letters sucked imho.
My dad is a huge fan and refused to watch the LotR trilogy b/c it would ruin his memories/thoughts/imagination of the story. Although the LotR trilogy was good imho, they were too dang long for me to rewatch, basically turning me off to ever reading Tolkien's works. I did like the animated version of The Hobbit and as a child I had an animated story book version of it as well. I'll watch the new film, but I'm hoping it will only be one film. Has it been confirmed to be multiple films or is this just speculation at this point?

Stephen
11-09-2012, 04:59 PM
As an English major in college, I'm embarresed to say that I've never read any Tolkien. I have read his friend C.S. Lewis' entire Narnia series and The Screwtape Letters (Narnia was good as long as Peter, Edmund, and Lucy were involved), and The Screwtape Letters sucked imho.
My dad is a huge fan and refused to watch the LotR trilogy b/c it would ruin his memories/thoughts/imagination of the story. Although the LotR trilogy was good imho, they were too dang long for me to rewatch, basically turning me off to ever reading Tolkien's works. I did like the animated version of The Hobbit and as a child I had an animated story book version of it as well. I'll watch the new film, but I'm hoping it will only be one film. Has it been confirmed to be multiple films or is this just speculation at this point?
Three films.

Stephen
11-09-2012, 05:03 PM
Advanced ticket sales start today. Only certain theaters are showing it in high frame rate 3d.

TheHobbit.com

Since I have a 2 hour drive to catch the proper version - I'm glad I took the release day off from work. That midnight showing is going to be awesome/awful :)
Posted via Mobile Device
Luckily I'm within a 30 minute drive to two such theaters. :)

Starscream
11-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Three films.

Ugh...

Genetic Defect
11-09-2012, 10:54 PM
Ugh...

Did you watch watch transformers?

Starscream
11-10-2012, 08:37 AM
Did you watch watch transformers?

Yep. Wish I hadn't.

Wait, is this going to turn in to a Clerks 2 argument? :D

Apoco
12-12-2012, 09:30 AM
36 HOURS UNTIL THE MIDNIGHT PREMIERE!

:banger
Posted via Mobile Device

kugie
12-17-2012, 08:23 AM
Who saw it, what did you think?

The HFR took a little getting used to but it was sharp, clear, and pretty awesome.

The movie itself was good I may even go see it again, Just to try to absorb all the added parts.

MurphysLaw
12-17-2012, 08:33 AM
My wife and I enjoyed it, and are looking forward to the next two films.

Skywalker
12-17-2012, 08:44 AM
I enjoyed the film. It kept my interest throughout the movie. No long battle scenes, however a lot of fighting amongst Dwarves, Orcs, Trolls and Goblins.

I would watch it again and again.:tu:tu:tu:tu

Chainsaw13
12-17-2012, 08:53 AM
I enjoyed the film. It kept my interest throughout the movie. No long battle scenes, however a lot of fighting amongst Dwarves, Orcs, Trolls and Goblins.

I would watch it again and again.:tu:tu:tu:tu

Same here.

gnbikes
12-17-2012, 10:58 AM
i enjoyed it, but the combination of HFR and 3-D was a little much for me. I'm planning on going again, but sticking w/ regular screen next time. That way I can enjoy the movie w/out "distractions.
Garry-

Chainsaw13
12-17-2012, 12:11 PM
i enjoyed it, but the combination of HFR and 3-D was a little much for me. I'm planning on going again, but sticking w/ regular screen next time. That way I can enjoy the movie w/out "distractions.
Garry-

That was my problem. We did the Imax 3D and ended up sitting on the right side of the theater. Caused for some ghosting of the 3D images. Next time it's regular ole 2D.

Apoco
12-17-2012, 12:24 PM
I sat smack dab in the middle at the midnight release HFR, 3D.

Loved every minute of it...after the first 10 minutes or so. The HFR takes some getting used to - but by the end I found myself gawking at how amazing everything looked. There was minimal "pop out" stuff in regards to the 3D - it felt to be mostly depth to me.

I'm wanting to go see it again in 24 FPS just to see how it compares.

Alright - technical stuff aside now - the movie itself was very true to the book. Some of the folks at the theater (like myself) enjoyed this quite a bit - knowing what to expect from a Tolkien book told his in fashion. I heard complaints that there "was too much talking" and that it "took too long to start". I guess that it is all a matter of expectation. It is a slower movie than any of the LotR's were. Those movies focused more on the battles because it was 1 movie to cover a 400-500 page book. The Hobbit being split up into 3 pieces (with some added content from The Simirillion and footnotes from Return of the King) - it can be closer to a direct translation of book -> movie.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bax
12-17-2012, 12:34 PM
I saw it in IMAX yesterday, I enjoyed it. I have no idea why some were giving it terrible reviews.

OLS
12-20-2012, 02:56 PM
I will not be seeing this. The first trilogy, I aged like 9 years getting to the end. I will be dead and
gone before they make a third Hobbit movie and release it, I bet. Its like watching Big Brother and
Survivor in the same year, by the time you have two winners, its another damn year off your life.

jcruse64
12-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Saw it this week with my niece; she wanted the 3D version. I hesitated, after seeing bad tech reviews on some recent 3D films, but we went 3D anyway. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised with the visual quality; it popped nicely and I can't wait to see Smaug coming out of the screen.

Loved the movie also. I, too, liked them bringing in parts of the Middle Earth story from the LOR appendices. Saruman's attitude in the council was exactly as I'd expected from reading. Also liked seeing Radagast and the Witch King. I, too, think 3 films will be a bit overkill, but these guys need the money, I guess, and they should be able to include everything in the book and related LOR appendices. I know it would have been too long, but I'd have loved to have more of the LOR parts of the books that were left out put into the movie series. Especially more of Rohan's journey to fight for Gondor, all of Aragorn's fights with his ghost army, and I especially would like to have seen how they handled Tom Bombadil! Also should have left the Saruman/Shire ending of book 3 in the movie.

madwilliamflint
01-16-2013, 07:02 PM
Too much "It's not a movie, it's a RIDE!" nonsense. Plus he mucked with the story too much. Made me angry.

oooo35980
01-16-2013, 09:02 PM
I think most of the crap reviews come from it having very little relation to what actually happened in the book. My wife and I saw it, and she kept asking me questions because I had read the book, I kept having to say "I have no idea this wasn't in the book."

It was a good movie but it didn't hold as close to the book as LOTR, and LOTR didn't exactly set a high bar.