PDA

View Full Version : MLB 2013 Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3

shilala
07-29-2013, 07:17 PM
I would be shocked to see the Rangers make that deal with an AL contender, but I guess anything for the right price, eh Scott?
I don't know where the Rangers sit right now, but if they've decided they can't make a run at the pennant, anything can happen. Lots of trades don't make much sense nowadays, they seem a lot more economics driven than competition driven.

icehog3
07-29-2013, 07:26 PM
I don't know where the Rangers sit right now, but if they've decided they can't make a run at the pennant, anything can happen. Lots of trades don't make much sense nowadays, they seem a lot more economics driven than competition driven.

They are 6 out, Scott, but right in the thick of the Wild Card race.

AdamJoshua
07-29-2013, 07:27 PM
How about some love in here for the 1st Place Rays?????

Does any one including people in Tampa show them any love? :r They can't even sell tickets during the playoffs, best shop for some love elsewhere. :gary

AdamJoshua
07-30-2013, 09:02 AM
Nice call at home plate in the TB / RS game .. god that guy is a hack. Two game swing because of that bad call.

Meals admitted his error to a pool reporter after the game.

“What I saw was: [Jose] Molina blocked the plate and Nava’s foot lifted,” Meals said. “But in the replays, you could clearly see Nava’s foot got under for a split second and then lifted, so I was wrong on my decision. From the angle I had, I did not see his foot get under Molina’s shin guard.”

WEEI reporting that Lee and Young close to being traded to Boston, hope this doesn't cost us heavy in prospects.

AdamJoshua
07-30-2013, 09:18 PM
Breaking news..... In a three-way,José Iglesias from Boston to Detroit, Peavy to Boston, Detriot sends Chicago their best prospect. Heard this from a friend a few minutes before it started hitting the wires, he never let's me down.

http://nesn.com/2013/07/mlb-trade-deadline-live-jake-peavy-cliff-lee-among-big-names-being-talked-about-before-july-31-deadline/

The only thing that could make this better is if MLB suspended Afraud for this year and next, but not lifetime so they MFYs still ahd to pay him.

icehog3
07-30-2013, 09:44 PM
I heard the "prospect" is Avasaill Garcia

AdamJoshua
07-30-2013, 10:17 PM
Looks like there are 2 or 3 more prospects coming from the Red Sox but not sure who or where they are going.

kelmac07
07-31-2013, 05:18 AM
Breaking news..... In a three-way,José Iglesias from Boston to Detroit, Peavy to Boston, Detriot sends Chicago their best prospect. Heard this from a friend a few minutes before it started hitting the wires, he never let's me down.

I really think Detroit got the better end of this deal. With Peralta getting up there in age, Iglesias is the perfect back-fill to their SS issue. Even though Peralta is having a killer year, the Biogenesis issue is looming over him. I really can't believe Boston gave him up.

shilala
07-31-2013, 09:22 AM
Now if Detroit could trade Iglesias to the Rangers for Joe Nathan, they'd have something.
Granted, they can use Iglesias, but that's not what's gonna make them win this year or next, which they need to do before their owner passes.
Once Ilitch is gone, anything can happen to the Tigers. None of it likely to be good.

Whether the Rangers would sell to the Tigers is another thing, but they want a bat. Bad.

07-31-2013, 12:46 PM
Iglesias is insurance for this year and the future SS for years to come. Peralta is on the list likely to be suspended. He's also on the last year of his deal. Tiger's couldn't take the chance of getting stuck with Danny Worth as their starting SS on a WS run.

I love both moves. Gacria is going to be a good player for Chicago. Deceptive speed for his size and a good bat.

icehog3
07-31-2013, 02:00 PM
Rumor is Peralta is going to get 50 games today or tomorrow, so Iggy will be much needed this season.

shilala
07-31-2013, 04:11 PM
That sucks, Tom. It still tweaks me that they only came up with Braun's 65 games and didn't cast the rest of the suspensions at the same time. I think they wanted to single him out because of his last go-round and let the media feast on him a bit.
If A-rod is gonna get 100 games, it would have been nice for the Yankees if he could have started serving them already.
I guess all this PED stuff just upsets me. Not that they use it, cause I'm a firm believer that everyone uses something to get and edge, whatever it may be. It's the never-ending saga of stench that comes with it. I liked it way better when nobody cared.

Then you have this thing hanging over the trade deadline. It should have been resolved prior so teams could make necessary moves. Obviously the Tigers knew? I haven't seen a list of players or penalties expected, so I'm guessing there's teams that'll get stung and have no way to replace players, and that ain't right.

AdamJoshua
07-31-2013, 04:17 PM
I am hoping that they ban AFraud for the next season but not a lifetime ban, that way the MFY (for you of those that don't know that's Mother F***ing Yankees) still have to pay him his contract :r

Braun had a big mouth when he knew he was guilty, he got off easy the first time and should have kept his mouth shut, but he went big and loud after they let him slide, that was his mistake, if you are wrong and you get a free pass it's best to shut your mouth.

I think the only time no one cared was before it was so rampant, but now if the younger kids want to make the bigs they have to compete or supplant the current major league players and the only way to do that is juice along with them.

icehog3
07-31-2013, 04:24 PM
I agree with you, Scott....they all have an edge, some get caught, some don't.

ChicagoWhiteSox
07-31-2013, 04:40 PM
good riddance to Peavy:gary

icehog3
07-31-2013, 05:37 PM
You may end up liking Garcia a lot, Nate. ;)

ChicagoWhiteSox
07-31-2013, 06:24 PM
I hope so Tom. Not much going good for the Sox right now

AdamJoshua
07-31-2013, 06:54 PM
Commissioner Bud Selig is prepared to levy a lifetime suspension on New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez, while suspending about eight others before the weekend, two people with knowledge of the negotiations told USA TODAY Sports.

I know it's being whispered but looks like we'll find out in the next two days, I still hope they give him a year so that they Yankees have to honor the rest of his contract :r

Looks like the other players are looking at 50 games.

Linky to Article (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2013/07/31/alex-rodriguez-suspended-lifetime-suspension-biogenesis/2606319/)

shilala
07-31-2013, 07:31 PM
I am hoping that they ban AFraud for the next season but not a lifetime ban, that way the MFY (for you of those that don't know that's Mother F***ing Yankees) still have to pay him his contract :r

Braun had a big mouth when he knew he was guilty, he got off easy the first time and should have kept his mouth shut, but he went big and loud after they let him slide, that was his mistake, if you are wrong and you get a free pass it's best to shut your mouth.

I think the only time no one cared was before it was so rampant, but now if the younger kids want to make the bigs they have to compete or supplant the current major league players and the only way to do that is juice along with them.
Yes sir, Braun had some kinda balls. He skated on a technicality, was guilty, then rubbed everyone's nose in it. Even acted like he wasn't guilty. That's why he got 65 days instead of 50. He shoulda got a punch in his mouth, that's what he needed.
They're calling for somewhere between 50 and 100 games for Arod, closer to 100. Mainly because he was a cheerleader for Biogenysis and brought tons of guys to them. So he's getting an extra slap. It's his last trick before his lifetime ban, they can't give him life this time, it goes to the penalty the players bargained for with MLB.

I agree with you, Scott....they all have an edge, some get caught, some don't.
They always have and they always will. I don't have a problem with it, either. Never did. I do worry that some kids may pay the Lyle Alzado price, but things have come a long, long way.
While I think it'd be wonderful if nobody juiced or put themselves in harm's way, I always think of the old saying "If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying."
If there's a right and wrong of it, cheating is wrong, but it will never, ever end. So make the stuff safe and available, or do away with the system that creates the problem. But don't make it a spectacle when it's clearly something that's expected of all pro athletes.
I guess it's the never ending lie that upsets me, ya know?

icehog3
07-31-2013, 08:10 PM
Agreed again, Mr. shilala. ;)

I hope so Tom. Not much going good for the Sox right now

Even tonight. Go up 5-3 in the top of the 9th, now some bad baseball and the Tribe has the bases loaded with no outs. Sox can't buy a break.

pnoon
07-31-2013, 08:13 PM
that way the MFY (for you of those that don't know that's Mother F***ing Yankees) still have to pay him his contract :r

As opposed to the CSB (for you of those that don't know that's C0ck Sucking Bosox)

:=:

kelmac07
08-01-2013, 05:16 AM
Since my Mets aren't playing that great, its good to see the Pirates playing extremely well. :D

awsmith4
08-01-2013, 09:27 AM
29 runs in the past three games, I couldn't be prouder of my Bravos. As long as these young pitchers can hold it together we might have a chance this year

Dave128
08-01-2013, 09:29 AM
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.......

awsmith4
08-01-2013, 09:32 AM
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.......

Oh, did you just realize you were a Mets fan?

Dave128
08-01-2013, 09:39 AM
Oh, did you just realize you were a Mets fan?

I rather enjoy being a Mets fan. It takes the guesswork out of making sure I'm available to watch baseball in October.

awsmith4
08-01-2013, 11:21 AM
I rather enjoy being a Mets fan. It takes the guesswork out of making sure I'm available to watch baseball in October.

:r

08-02-2013, 08:57 AM
I wish MLB would just suspend the players not fighting it so the Tigers could make Iggy the new starting SS already. I hate this being in limbo crap. Plus they could even get Peralta back in the fall if they wanted to, IF the suspension starts now/soon.

shilala
08-02-2013, 09:16 AM
Fun Fact: Clayton Kershaw’s great-uncle, Clyde Tombaugh, discovered Pluto, in 1930.
I heard that on the radio yesterday, but the guy said his uncle invented Pluto, so I thought he meant Pluto the Disney dog. I had to Google it.

AdamJoshua
08-02-2013, 09:17 AM
I'd be more impressed if he discovered a planet or something ;)

08-02-2013, 10:34 AM
I'd be more impressed if he discovered a planet or something ;)

+1

It's not like you get credit for discovering big round rocks, with moons, that revolve around the sun. :rolleyes:

Dave128
08-02-2013, 10:35 AM
Didn't NASA or something just recently downgrade Pluto from a planet to just a floating rock?

08-02-2013, 10:45 AM
Didn't NASA or something just recently downgrade Pluto from a planet to just a floating rock?

Yep, that's the thrust of mine and Adam's jokes. :fp

shilala
08-02-2013, 10:52 AM
I don't recognize the whole Pluto is not a planet thing. It's just wrong.

Dave128
08-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Yep, that's the thrust of mine and Adam's jokes. :fp

Sorry....I can be a bit slow sometimes.

On another note, you said thrust...hehheh

icehog3
08-02-2013, 01:38 PM
I don't recognize the whole Pluto is not a planet thing. It's just wrong.

Me neither, anything named after Mickey's dog should retain elite status.

08-02-2013, 01:46 PM
According to this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_satellite

A moon is a natural satellite around another body. It is believed a moon cannot have a moon of its own. Therefore shouldn't any body with a moon be considered a planet (aka Pluto)?

Sorry for continuing the threadjack/tangent.

Go Tigers!!!

icehog3
08-02-2013, 02:03 PM
I've got nipples, Mike...can you milk me?

Threadjack ongoing.

Go Tigers Indeed!!!

08-02-2013, 02:08 PM
I've got nipples, Mike...can you milk me?

Threadjack ongoing.

Go Tigers Indeed!!!

Nah, don't be silly Tom. My fingers are too big. :r

How about that Iggy? Think we'll see him this weekend?

icehog3
08-02-2013, 02:31 PM
We will if Peralta gets 50 games! :lr

AdamJoshua
08-02-2013, 02:37 PM
We will if Peralta gets 50 games! :lr

Better see him quick before his bat cools down and he goes back to the .230 +/- hitter that he REALLY is. :r

icehog3
08-02-2013, 02:39 PM
No sweat, Peavy should have a good 2 or 3 starts in him before he misses half a season again. ;)

08-02-2013, 02:39 PM
Better see him quick before his bat cools down and he goes back to the .230 +/- hitter that he REALLY is. :r

If he can figure out how to hit .250 with a .320 OBP in the bigs and he's able to makeup for any range deficiencies Cabrera has, he'll be well worth the investment. Now, if we can re-up with MadMax, Omar, and AJ we'll be good for some time to come.

AdamJoshua
08-02-2013, 03:31 PM
No sweat, Peavy should have a good 2 or 3 starts in him before he misses half a season again. ;)

Really THREE? you think? Wow that would be swell! :r I think every one in this deal would be happy with "something" out of the players they got, well something besides ---> :sl

Nah Iggy's strong point is flashing the leather, he's a very solid infielder and can switch between short and third no problem, everything else is bonus when you have him.

shilala
08-02-2013, 03:57 PM
I have nipples, too!!! :tu

icehog3
08-02-2013, 05:06 PM
Really THREE? you think? Wow that would be swell! :r I think every one in this deal would be happy with "something" out of the players they got, well something besides ---> :sl

Nah Iggy's strong point is flashing the leather, he's a very solid infielder and can switch between short and third no problem, everything else is bonus when you have him.

If we are to be honest, Peavy is a helluva pitcher who will add a lot to the rotation if he stays healthy.

I have nipples, too!!! :tu

Sweet. Three?

shilala
08-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Sweet. Three?
Nope, only two. But Bubs has like 8 or 10. Just one more reason he's the badassest.

icehog3
08-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Nope, only two. But Bubs has like 8 or 10. Just one more reason he's the badassest.

They say that pup Bubs is a bad mutha....

Shut your mouth!

Well, I'm talking 'bout Bubs.

Then we can dig it.

AdamJoshua
08-02-2013, 06:47 PM
New question, would Afraud rather his suspension start tonight or have to play in a minor league game ... in Trenton NJ.

I think we all know the answer to this. :D

CigarSquid
08-12-2013, 07:02 AM
A's need to pick it up.. Bit of a down slide the last few games.

Blak Smyth
08-12-2013, 07:35 AM
Another quality win last night from the Dodgers. Looking forward to the game I am going to against Philly this week!

08-12-2013, 08:04 AM
Miguel Cabrera is the baddest mamajama I've ever seen. Amazing what he did this weekend; while hurt.

icehog3
08-12-2013, 09:51 AM
Tigers on a tear, only Brett Gardiner keeps them from having 19 of 20. Still an exciting 9th inning yesterday.

Tigers would have been 5th if they were in the East 6 weeks ago....now they're 3rd overall in MLB.

mahtofire14
08-12-2013, 09:55 AM
Miguel Cabrera is the baddest mamajama I've ever seen. Amazing what he did this weekend; while hurt.

He's certainly carrying my fantasy team!

AdamJoshua
08-12-2013, 07:48 PM
Well he's probably really 32 and been doing roids for the last 4 years, but he still hit over .400 in 1/3 of a major league season. Granted it wasn't against MLB pitchers so there's some give and take there and he hit really well in the WBC, although again there were some iffy pitchers there as well.

Slugger Jose Abreu has defected from Cuba and should be in line for a big payday from a Major League Baseball team, according to multiple reports.

It is not clear where the 26-year-old first baseman has gone, but he will have to establish residency in another country, be declared a free agent by MLB and get cleared by the U.S. government before he can sign a contract. Based on his stats in Cuba, however, and the success of defectors Yoenis Cespedes and Yasiel Puig, Abreu could get a deal worth more than $50 million.

The right-handed hitter is a former MVP in Cuba. He had one of the best seasons in league history in 2010-11, hitting .453 with 33 home runs and 93 RBIs in only 66 games. He hit .360 with three homers and nine RBIs in the most recent World Baseball Classic.

icehog3
08-12-2013, 11:26 PM
The right-handed hitter is a former MVP in Cuba. He had one of the best seasons in league history in 2010-11, hitting .453 with 33 home runs and 93 RBIs in only 66 games.

Those are some sick numbers, he would look great batting 6th for Detroit behind Miggy, Prince and VMart. :D

mahtofire14
08-12-2013, 11:55 PM
My Twins finally have a pitcher worth watching right now and he's only pitched two games in the bigs. First game Andrew Albers went 8 1/3 0 ER 4 hits and tonight he pitched a two hit shutout. His first two games in the bigs. Having flashbacks to Maddox as he hits his spots and tops out at around 87 mph. Great to watch though.

icehog3
08-13-2013, 08:30 AM
Only 353 wins to go to catch Maddux! :D

Hopefully we'll get to see him next time the Twins play Detroit, be curious to see how he fares.....sounds like a good prospect, Pete.

mahtofire14
08-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Only 353 wins to go to catch Maddux! :D

Hopefully we'll get to see him next time the Twins play Detroit, be curious to see how he fares.....sounds like a good prospect, Pete.

Definitely not Maddox yet. But pitching style and mechanics mirror him.

shilala
08-13-2013, 10:03 AM
I can remember sitting and watching Greg Maddux pitch game after game. His control was insane. He didn't need to power through anyone, he just picked batters apart. He knew what they were thinking before they even thought it.
I've not seen anyone even close since he retired. It'd be nice to see someone come along and fill those shoes, just for the sheer pleasure of watching him.

kelmac07
08-13-2013, 10:10 AM
Maddux got a ton of "neighborhood" calls in his time. Not taking anything away from him, as he was a finese pitcher and a damn good one. But umpires strike zones were a lot wider when Maddux (and other big name pitchers for that matter) pitched. The case cannot be said today with "strike-zone", "Fox pitching zone" and all these other automated strike zone charts they use. He was a beast for only throwing 86-87 MPH.

Trust me...he whipped my Mets plenty of times. :D

mahtofire14
08-13-2013, 10:25 AM
I'm one of the biggest baseball fans out there. Played high level college baseball and from the pros even into college the umpires give preference to the top batters and pitcher over say rookies or lower level players. Always really bugged me.

08-19-2013, 12:32 PM
So glad my Tigs took the 5 game series against the Royals. Loved Miggy's walkoff HR in game 4. Absolutely clutch.

08-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Then he hit a two-run HR in his next at bat in game 5, followed by an RBI double. Needless to say he received an intentional walk on his next at bat.

icehog3
08-19-2013, 03:04 PM
Tigers looking like an October team. :tu

CigarSquid
08-20-2013, 08:15 AM

Yea.. With the way they have been playing.. and the little down slide my A's have had.. Might as well send me you address so I can get that 5er out soon.

Why did i bet you...............AGAIN? :sl :gary

CigarSquid
08-27-2013, 08:09 AM
1 down.. Only need 2 more! Let's Go Oakland!

jonumberone
08-28-2013, 04:44 AM
I was kind of shocked to hear that Alfonso Soriano's second HR yesterday was the 400th of his career.
I stopped following him by the time he made it to the Cubbies, and always had the impression that he wasn't a good player for them.
400 HR is a nice career and I don't see any reason why he couldn't get to 450.
It is pretty obvious that coming back to the Yanks has reinvigorated him!

CigarSquid
08-28-2013, 06:35 AM

2 down, 1 more, but I would love to take the next 2.

I missed the game due to a meeting. Verlander wasn't himself from what I seen on ESPN.

CigarSquid
08-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Tom,

My address is PM bound.

As long as they can hold a 14-1 lead for 2 innings, I may finally beat you.

icehog3
08-28-2013, 11:38 PM
Tom,

My address is PM bound.

As long as they can hold a 14-1 lead for 2 innings, I may finally beat you.

Congrats, Garry, first cigar-sports bet I can remember losing in a long time...had to happen sooner or later. :r

Didn't get the PM yet, I will hit you up with one now.....need to find out which Gurkhas you prefer.

CigarSquid
08-29-2013, 06:59 AM
Told you, the more I wager with you on this, the better the odds are for me.

I'm 1 for 3 against ya.

icehog3
08-29-2013, 08:43 AM
Congrats, Brother.

Frankly, I am more concerned with the Tigers getting back on track than with the bet. ;)

CigarSquid
08-29-2013, 08:51 AM
I hear ya. I hope the A's can use this momentum and carry on. Take the lead back from Texas.

08-29-2013, 01:41 PM
What is happening to my Tigers??? All of a sudden it looks like a Keebler factory, cookies galore.

icehog3
08-29-2013, 02:18 PM
Torii Hunter walk off!! Salvaged a game!! :wo :bx :wo

08-29-2013, 02:28 PM
Nice!!! :wo

icehog3
08-29-2013, 02:30 PM
I was watching "gamecast" on ESPN.com here at work, can't wait to see the replay later. :wo

08-29-2013, 02:38 PM
I turned on the local radio broadcast but turned it off when the score was 6-1.

icehog3
08-29-2013, 02:54 PM
I turned on the local radio broadcast but turned it off when the score was 6-1.

Yeah, they scored all 4 with 2 outs, Mike. Small balled one run, then Torii with the shot. We were an out away from a sweep. No sweep for you, Coco! -(P

08-29-2013, 02:58 PM
Yeah, they scored all 4 with 2 outs, Mike. Small balled one run, then Torii with the shot. We were an out away from a sweep. No sweep for you, Coco! -(P

Yeah I was working outside my office and I heard the local play-by-play guy's voice get louder and higher pitched. I knew something was going on but I couldn't hear what he was saying. By the time I got back to my desk and turned on the radio it was over. Not bad salvaging a win at least. The rest of the series was a disaster.

08-29-2013, 03:04 PM
video...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/29/torii-hunter-walk-off-home-run-tigers-as-video_n_3838979.html?

icehog3
08-29-2013, 03:12 PM
video...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/29/torii-hunter-walk-off-home-run-tigers-as-video_n_3838979.html?

Thanks Mike! :D

Looks like my new Tigers sleeveless shirt that came in the mail yesterday brought some luck!

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/Tigers_zpse11d1a1b.jpg (http://s196.photobucket.com/user/icehog3/media/Tigers_zpse11d1a1b.jpg.html)

08-29-2013, 07:17 PM
Nice! Go Tigers!!

kelmac07
08-31-2013, 01:29 PM
Pirates get Justin Morneau from the Twins in exchange for Alex Presley and a player to be named late. Glad to see Pittsburgh making moves that will actually get them in the playoffs this year. :tu :tu

Gotta root for someone, since my Mets aren't making the playoffs. :D

kelmac07
09-04-2013, 05:27 AM
Congrats to the Pirates...first winning season in 20 years. :tu :tu

shilala
09-04-2013, 06:40 AM
Hopefully my boys didn't wreck the streak for nothing, Mac.
It hasn't been long enough to forget last year's collapse.

Bruins Fan
09-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Haven't seen a beating like the one the Sox laid on the Tigers in a long while:r

CigarSquid
09-05-2013, 07:12 AM
Haven't seen a beating like the one the Sox laid on the Tigers in a long while:r

I think it was 13-4 when I turned it off.

What is going on with the Tigers? No Cabrera and they fall apart.:r

icehog3
09-05-2013, 06:08 PM

Not since the 17 seconds the Blackhawks laid on the Bruins on June 24th! :lr

I think it was 13-4 when I turned it off.

What is going on with the Tigers? No Cabrera and they fall apart.:r

They are 10-4 w/o Miggy in the line-up. If that's falling apart, we'll take it. ;)

CigarSquid
09-06-2013, 07:35 AM
I did not know that was the record without Miggy. I guess not then. It must have just been a bad game, that night.

Brian D.
09-06-2013, 11:12 AM
At one of the local cigar shops the other day, met one of the umpires from the crew doing the Reds/Cards ganes here in Cincy. Pretty nice guy (he likes cigars so that's a given right?) and had some funny behind the scenes stories. I now have a pretty good idea what sort of stuff gets discussed at those pitcher's mound conferences. :D

icehog3
09-06-2013, 08:11 PM
13-1 Tigers in the 5th?? Who do they think they are, the Red Sox?? :D

CigarSquid
09-06-2013, 08:51 PM
13-1 Tigers in the 5th?? Who do they think they are, the Red Sox?? :D

Must be taking the beating they got out on KC

CigarSquid
09-06-2013, 09:02 PM
I won the bet Tom. My A's would take the series over his Tigers.

I got these awesome smokes as the win.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/niSssEanR/Cigars/IMG_20130906_180319_zps6920cbdd.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/niSssEanR/media/Cigars/IMG_20130906_180319_zps6920cbdd.jpg.html)

Weird thing is, he must had placed the bet with Fielder.. As that is who sent it to me.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/niSssEanR/Cigars/IMAG0251_zpsc6fdeb7d.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/niSssEanR/media/Cigars/IMAG0251_zpsc6fdeb7d.jpg.html)

AdamJoshua
09-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Damn RS have 50 hits in the last 3 games and score 4 bazzillion runs! :r

icehog3
09-06-2013, 10:43 PM
I won the bet Tom. My A's would take the series over his Tigers.

Weird thing is, he must had placed the bet with Fielder.. As that is who sent it to me.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/niSssEanR/Cigars/IMAG0251_zpsc6fdeb7d.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/niSssEanR/media/Cigars/IMAG0251_zpsc6fdeb7d.jpg.html)

Prince has more money for cigars than I do , Garry. :D

Damn RS have 50 hits in the last 3 games and score 4 bazzillion runs! :r

They are on a serious roll. :tu

CigarSquid
09-07-2013, 07:28 AM
Tom, I opened the mail box and when I seen Prince Fielder, I just busted up laughing. If people were out side they must have thought I was crazy. I laughed all the way back home(have a apartment style mailbox).

icehog3
09-07-2013, 09:10 AM
Glad I made ya giggle, Garry. :r

AdamJoshua
09-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Add in a 20-4 pasting of Detroit on Wednesday, and the highest-scoring team in the majors has amassed this four-game total: 54 runs, 17 homers and 64 hits.

They are just destroying pitching now.

icehog3
09-07-2013, 07:04 PM
13 more today? BoSox are just rockin' it.

AdamJoshua
09-07-2013, 07:50 PM
A lot of comparisons to '67, a team picked to finish dead last, 2 starters gone, not including Josh B. being traded away, our closer out for the season then the next closer we got... out for the season, traded away crawford (no big loss) and agon (bigger loss), hell I thought we'd be dead last as well.

Impossible Dream II ?

icehog3
09-07-2013, 10:34 PM
If they hit in October like they have in September, they have a shot. If.

icehog3
09-08-2013, 10:40 PM
Headed to the Cell Monday night to watch Scherzer go for #20 versus Sale and the White Sux. Going with a guy on my hockey team who is a huge Sux fan, should be fun....for one of us. :lr

CigarSquid
09-12-2013, 07:26 AM
Good game for the A's. 18-3 over the Twins. Keep it up, now 3 games ahead of Texas. Got my step dad and uncle buying playoff tickets. Now, all I have to do is find out how to get out of work for 1 day.

09-19-2013, 12:28 PM
Tigers offense is sleepy. They need to WAKE UP!

icehog3
09-19-2013, 02:26 PM
Agreed, Mike, this is the wrong time of year to start getting sleepy.

09-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Tom, how do you feel about the idea of bringing Jhonny P back?

The talk is they're going to put him in left field. Not sure I like that idea. I think IF they feel it's worthwhile to bring him back, bring him in selectively off the bench as a pinch hitter, not in starting in LF. IMO, Dirks/Tui are each batting 265-ish. Jhonny's 295 isn't worth the lack of range/skill at that position. If Tui can't get out of his funk, get Castellanos more reps between now and October. Just my :2

icehog3
09-19-2013, 02:35 PM
I like the idea of Peralta getting his hacks, Mike, but I certainly understand your defensive concerns. Tigers' hitting is an issue now, wouldn't hurt to get his bat in the line-up. Maybe AJ can just shade towards left? :D

09-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Maybe AJ can just shade towards left? :D Yeah, they'll put a shift on; except not because the hitter pulls, because Jhonny can't run. :r

icehog3
09-24-2013, 11:11 PM
Nice Fister perfromance, 3 dingers, and the Tigers clinch a playoff berth. Magic number is 1 for the AL Central title.

Looking like Tigers V. A's for the first series.

CigarSquid
09-25-2013, 07:35 AM
Will be a good series. I will be in Oakland for most of it too!

icehog3
09-25-2013, 10:07 AM
Will be a good series. I will be in Oakland for most of it too!

Gonna be able to catch a game, Garry?

CigarSquid
09-25-2013, 10:40 AM
Oh yea, my mom and step dad bought tickets. I missed it last year, not this year.

09-25-2013, 11:08 AM
Nice Fister perfromance, 3 dingers, and the Tigers clinch a playoff berth. Magic number is 1 for the AL Central title.

Looking like Tigers V. A's for the first series.

I heard Bruce was in the Rondon-Zone 1-2-3 all strikeouts but I didn't see it. I'd like to see that inning at least.

kelmac07
09-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Congrats to all the Pirates fans. Bucs get to host first playoff game in over 20 years. :tu :tu Since my Mets aren't going...I'm rooting for them.

icehog3
09-28-2013, 05:43 PM
Congrats to all the Pirates fans. Bucs get to host first playoff game in over 20 years. :tu :tu Since my Mets aren't going...I'm rooting for them.

Me too....in the National League. ;)

Bruins Fan
09-29-2013, 05:42 AM
The Boston Red Sox... AL East champions were assured of home-field advantage throughout the postseason!!!! :D

kelmac07
10-02-2013, 05:31 AM
Congrats to the Pirates on a HUGE win last night. Was nice to see a former Met (Marlon Byrd) contribute to the win. Liriano looked nasty as ever...that slider was crazy!! So crazy that it looked like the Reds didn't even want to be there. Bucco fans have a slot to celebrate after 21 rough years. :tu :tu

10-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Tom, what do you think about the Tiger's rotation; Sherzer, Verlander, Sanchez, Fister, with Porcello in the pen for long relief?

I think it's perfect, especialls since Rondon is unavailable for the ALDS. I hope Miggy can field a bunt and Jhonny can rundown flyballs. Big defensive risks for two good (1 GREAT) bats.

icehog3
10-02-2013, 08:53 AM
I think Porcello has been our best pitcher the last few starts, Mike, I am sorry to see him relagated to long relief, but those 4 other guys are tough to argue with.

I'll say it now...Coco Crisp scares me.

CigarSquid
10-03-2013, 07:41 AM
I think Porcello has been our best pitcher the last few starts, Mike, I am sorry to see him relagated to long relief, but those 4 other guys are tough to argue with.

I'll say it now...Coco Crisp scares me.

What about Brandon Moss?

I will be at the games in Oakland tomorrow and Saturday.

icehog3
10-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Nope, just Coco. :)

Enjoy the games, and may the best.... scratch that....may the road team win. :r

10-04-2013, 08:29 AM
Nope, just Coco. :)

Enjoy the games, and may the best.... scratch that....may the road team win. :r

:wo Go Tigers!

icehog3
10-04-2013, 08:49 AM
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/Tigers.jpg (http://s196.photobucket.com/user/icehog3/media/Tigers.jpg.html)

CigarSquid
10-04-2013, 08:58 AM
Tom, another 5er on this series?

CigarSquid
10-04-2013, 09:12 AM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/niSssEanR/OaklandAthletics2_zpsc8979180.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/niSssEanR/media/OaklandAthletics2_zpsc8979180.jpg.html)

icehog3
10-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Tom, another 5er on this series?

Sure, why not. :)

Bruins Fan
10-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Sox roll...that's one :D

CigarSquid
10-05-2013, 08:22 AM
Sure, why not. :)

1 down. The A's did not want to win this one. They sucked hugely at the plate. only 3 hits! Watched so many go right by them.

icehog3
10-05-2013, 09:42 AM
A recap for those who did not see the Tigers- As game.....

K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K

AdamJoshua
10-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Price only gave up 2 HRs to left handed hitters all year, Papi hit 2 off him tonight. RedSox roll over the Rays for the 2nd straight game.

Bruins Fan
10-05-2013, 07:03 PM
Two down nine more wins to go :banger

AdamJoshua
10-05-2013, 07:09 PM
4 of the As position starters were RedSox and at least 1 of the Tigers that I noticed. heh

Bruins Fan
10-05-2013, 07:38 PM
Yes for sure Coco lost his job to Ellsbury he was a head case anyways...Lowrie was always hurt with that bad wrist.
I liked Reddick but the Sox upgraded.

icehog3
10-06-2013, 12:35 AM
Awesome pitching performances by Gray and Verlander in Oakland. A's bullpen was better.

Best of 3 series now, headed to Comerica.

CigarSquid
10-06-2013, 09:40 AM
Awesome pitching performances by Gray and Verlander in Oakland. A's bullpen was better.

Best of 3 series now, headed to Comerica.

What a game to be at. It was nuts.

GreekGodX
10-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Need Miggy to heal quickly or DH him. His lack of power in his swing is troubling.

icehog3
10-06-2013, 02:00 PM
Need Miggy to heal quickly or DH him. His lack of power in his swing is troubling.

No to mention everyone else. 8 runs in their last 6 games? 4 strikeouts for AJ? Unless Fister and Sanchez can throw the way Max and Justin did, we are in trouble.

Flynnster
10-06-2013, 08:03 PM
Just drove 4 hours back to the city, and listened to MLB the whole way. The Pitt game was great, and so far this Dodger's game is interesting as well.

Time for a pipe and listening to the rest of the game.

10-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Jhonny starting in Left, I'm guessing for both games at Comerica. Go Tigers!

icehog3
10-07-2013, 10:45 AM
No MLB TV at work. :(

Bleez
10-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Here's to hoping the Feast or Famine Braves will be FEASTING on a short rested Kershaw. Dreamers are known to dream.

CigarSquid
10-08-2013, 07:07 AM
No MLB TV at work. :(

Same here.. Blocked on my work computer. I had to listen to it through my MLB app. Will do that again today. Hopefully we can take it on the road and not wait to get home!

CigarSquid
10-08-2013, 07:53 AM
Also, watch out for the Balfour Rage!

10-08-2013, 08:54 AM
ALDS start times suck. Why are they trying to kill the TV ratings by starting both games before people get off work?

Don't tell me because Boston or whoever gets the primetime slot. Is there some law about having the ALDS games on different nights so BOTH can be in primetime slots?

CigarSquid
10-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Sad to say, Prolly cuz the Tigers are playing the A's. Media does not want the west coast.. Or A's for that.

I would love to see a Oakland/LA world series just to slap the media in the face.

I am really hoping for a Pittsburgh/Oakland WS.

10-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Garry, that reminds me of an interview I saw with David Stern. Someone asked him what would be his best NBA Finals matchup. He said: "The Lakers vs the Lakers".

Clearly TV ratings/money is numero uno.

However, I defy anyone to explain how starting ALDS playoff games during business hours, or 7 minutes after in 1 timezone, is financially beneficial for MLB.

CigarSquid
10-08-2013, 10:35 AM
I agree Mike. So stupid for the time of our game.

shark
10-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Nice game tonight, but Max and Benoit getting into trouble like that was nerve wracking.

icehog3
10-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Gutsy move by Leyland, putting Scherzer in and going for broke. Nice job by Max getting out of his self-created jam.

Hope those bats stay lively on Thursday!

AdamJoshua
10-08-2013, 10:49 PM
Yah baby goodbye Dung Rays!

Bring on the next team.

AdamJoshua
10-08-2013, 10:52 PM
https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1375975_10151656678731766_2146346790_n.jpg

icehog3
10-09-2013, 12:06 AM
Congrats, Adam.

If Verlander can pitch like he did in Game 2 and the team can hit like they did in Game 4, it will be the Tigers. :)

Bruins Fan
10-09-2013, 05:26 AM
Very nice win..Sox can beat you many different ways :tu

CigarSquid
10-09-2013, 07:08 AM
I still have my thoughts about that HR call.

AdamJoshua
10-09-2013, 07:41 AM
Hey Garry so does everyone for good or ill, look at the Sox game the other night and the #*#&ing "ring" above home plate, guy pops up, it hits a speaker but comes straight down and is caught but they say its not an out guy get's on base eventually, then someone that wouldn't have been up that inning hits a 3 run bomb. At least that call wasn't the direct cause of the loss, let's face it things got pretty sloppy.

Tom if it is the Tiggers...

Game 6* TBD @ Boston Sat, Oct 19 TBD FOX tickets

Just saying. :D

CigarSquid
10-09-2013, 07:47 AM
I hear ya Adam. I think sometimes it is better to not use the replay then. A's had opportunity to score, but, I feel that had a big impact on the game.

pnoon
10-09-2013, 07:48 AM
Hey Garry so does everyone for good or ill, look at the Sox game the other night and the #*#&ing "ring" above home plate, guy pops up, it hits a speaker but comes straight down and is caught but they say its not an out guy get's on base eventually, then someone that wouldn't have been up that inning hits a 3 run bomb. At least that call wasn't the direct cause of the loss, let's face it things got pretty sloppy.

And it did so in foul territory so BY RULE, it's a foul ball.

It seems you complain about everything that doesn't go in favor of the Redsox.

Just sayin' :D

BigAsh
10-09-2013, 08:16 AM
https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1375975_10151656678731766_2146346790_n.jpg

:tpd::ss

10-09-2013, 08:40 AM
HR call was close. Given the trajectory it was going over the yellow line and it didn't appear Reddick was going to get it. However, with the fan touching the ball now we'll never know. It would have changed the game if reversed but not necessarily the outcome.

I was amazed Leyland left Sherzer in with the bases loaded and nobody out. He definitely came through. That said, I can't believe he put Max in at all. He's been pretty adamant about NOT moving starters up. I think Verlander's showing in game 2 and the fact he'll be fully rested for game 5 greatly influenced that decision.

Speaking of game 5. I'd really like to see V-Mart catch, Miggy DH, Peralta play 3rd, and preferrably Dirks in LF. Avila hasn't hit and Miggy's hurting too much to be effective defensively. Plus, there's a TON of foul territory to cover in LF in Oakland that I know Jhonny can't cover. This could result in the A's trying to run more on V-Mart but I'd take that risk vs a weak fielding 3B and LF. Just my :2

BTW Go Tigers!!!

SD Beerman
10-09-2013, 08:41 AM

those mods always have something to say........

Just sayin'

icehog3
10-09-2013, 08:42 AM
I still have my thoughts about that HR call.

Me too....I thought it was awesome. ;)

On a serious note....4 camera angles, outfielder never had a shot, it was past time a foot over his glove. Umpires, commentators and analysts agreed with me. But it's moot...it's all about Game 5 now, Garry.

Tom if it is the Tiggers...

Game 6* TBD @ Boston Sat, Oct 19 TBD FOX tickets

Just saying. :D

Sweet....I LOVE Game 6s in Boston! :D

10-09-2013, 09:03 AM
Tom, what do you think about DH'ing Miggy?

AdamJoshua
10-09-2013, 10:12 AM

It was over home plate, don't care where it fell it was CAUGHT by the catcher and was ruled a dead ball, actually was ruled dead after he caught it even. Seems that you like to pick at me about everything even if you aren't sure what's going on.

Just sayin'

pnoon
10-09-2013, 10:47 AM
It was over home plate, don't care where it fell it was CAUGHT by the catcher and was ruled a dead ball, actually was ruled dead after he caught it even. Seems that you like to pick at me about everything even if you aren't sure what's going on.

Just sayin'
What makes you think I don't know what's going on? I watched the game, too. Rules apply to all teams. Even your beloved Red Sox.

Stop yer whining. I call em like I see em. Besides, if you're willing to talk $hit, you've got to be willing to take some.

icehog3
10-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Tom, what do you think about DH'ing Miggy?

And do what with VMart, Mike? He's got the hottest bat right now.

10-09-2013, 02:59 PM
And do what with VMart, Mike? He's got the hottest bat right now.

Start V-Mart at catcher, Peralta at 3B, Dirks in LF.

The Poet
10-09-2013, 03:34 PM
On a more serious note, after much speculation and reported pursuit by the Cubbies and Gnats, Joe Girardi has signed a 4-year extension with the Yankees. :banger

And yes, this is more serious than actual post-season games because . . . well, because it is the Yankees. :r

pnoon
10-09-2013, 03:49 PM
On a more serious note, after much speculation and reported pursuit by the Cubbies and Gnats, Joe Girardi has signed a 4-year extension with the Yankees. :banger

And yes, this is more serious than actual post-season games because . . . well, because it is the Yankees. :r

:tpd:

;s

Not really.

The Poet
10-09-2013, 04:04 PM

;s

Not really.

:D

Adriftpanda
10-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Yawwwn, is it nba season yet?

CigarNut
10-09-2013, 04:24 PM
Not yet, but we still have plenty of football :D

icehog3
10-09-2013, 04:50 PM

I'd be thinking that way too if I were a Padres fan. ;s :r

I dunno, Dirks in, Avila out? I'm torn, Mike.

Hoping not to have to hear anything more about the Yankess until April, unless it's that some of their players are headed to prison. :r

pnoon
10-09-2013, 04:52 PM
I'd be thinking that way too if I were a Padres fan. ;s :r

I dunno, Dirks in, Avila out? I'm torn, Mike.

Hoping not to have to hear anything more about the Yankess until April, unless it's that some of their players are headed to prison. :r

Do I look like a punching bag?

(Don't answer that?)

CigarSquid
10-10-2013, 06:59 AM
Do or Die today.. Hope this is not a repeat of last year. Let's win this and have the crowd be great. Win it for them since the A's are back home.

Stupid work... I will not be at this game!

icehog3
10-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Hoping the Tigers can solve Gray the second time around....

kelmac07
10-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Sad to see the Pirates season end yesterday. What a year it was for this franchise, especially looking back to the previous 20 years. Kudos to them and their fans. Now I'm left with noone to root for in the playoffs.

icehog3
10-10-2013, 10:43 AM
Sad to see the Pirates season end yesterday. What a year it was for this franchise, especially looking back to the previous 20 years. Kudos to them and their fans. Now I'm left with noone to root for in the playoffs.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/Verlander3.jpg (http://s196.photobucket.com/user/icehog3/media/Verlander3.jpg.html)

10-10-2013, 10:50 AM
I'm not in love with V-mart catching so Miggy can DH, but the Tigers clearly need Jhonny's bat in the lineup but can't afford his lack of mobility in that HUGE LF out in Oakland. Avila is a better defensive catcher and catching is tough on Victor's knees I'm sure. I just think this would keep all the important bats in the lineup and put out the best overall defensive configuration available.

BTW Mac, we'll take you as a temporary fan if you want to pull for the Tigers. Plenty of room on this train.

CigarSquid
10-10-2013, 07:53 PM
What a shot by Miggy. DAMN!

icehog3
10-11-2013, 12:18 AM
If Verlander can pitch like he did in Game 2

Or even better....

; and the team can hit like they did in Game 4)

Close enough.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/aLCS2013_zps69a3a43c.png (http://s196.photobucket.com/user/icehog3/media/aLCS2013_zps69a3a43c.png.html)

CigarSquid
10-11-2013, 06:47 AM
Good series. I blame our loss on game 4. Bases loaded, no outs... couldn't get 1 run across the plate.

icehog3
10-11-2013, 08:24 AM
Some good baseball for sure, A's got a couple good looking young arms there.

jonumberone
10-11-2013, 08:29 AM
Some good baseball for sure, A's got a couple good looking young arms there.

I'm sure they'll be traded away pretty soon. :rolleyes:

Nice to see Verlander return to form.
It's amazing when a guy struggles a bit, how many declare him done and jump off the bandwagon.

I'm rooting for your tigers, Tom.
That may not bode well for them, as I've become "The Mush" of late. :(

icehog3
10-11-2013, 08:35 AM
I appreciate it anyway, Dom. Verlander has been unreal in the last two postseason series with the As, a Game 1 lead off homer to Coco in 2012, and 32 scoreless, 5 hit innings since then. Guess he had to show Scherzer he is still the Ace. :D

10-11-2013, 09:07 AM
Good series. I blame our loss on game 4. Bases loaded, no outs... couldn't get 1 run across the plate.

I would agree. That was the turning point. If the A's get a base hit there, they take at least a 2 run lead and probably the series. Max really turned it on and got those 3 outs.

I'm sure they'll be traded away pretty soon. :rolleyes:

Nice to see Verlander return to form.
It's amazing when a guy struggles a bit, how many declare him done and jump off the bandwagon.

I'm rooting for your tigers, Tom.
That may not bode well for them, as I've become "The Mush" of late. :(

Thanks Dom. We'll take ya. I watched my Tigers post 119 loses a few years back so I'm really excited about them moving on. JV still has it in him as he proved last night. He's just been inconsistent and a bit unlucky this year. The announcers last night mentioned the Tigers got shut out in 4 games in September, 3 of them JV pitched. He's has some stinkers this year but he also pitched some scoreless games and got ND's instead of W's.

I have to say I'm worried about AJ. He has better numbers against Red Sox pitchers so I hope he can turn it around. Even if Miggy's lacking power, he's still getting hits and can drive in AJ/Tori if they're getting on base.

Overall the ALDS was quite a series. Benoit gave me nervous fits last night. I wish JV came back out but it worked out in the end.

ChicagoWhiteSox
10-11-2013, 08:33 PM
Seeing Uribe at bat makes me happy. Makes me remember 2005..

icehog3
10-12-2013, 01:29 AM
Seeing Uribe at bat makes me happy. Makes me remember 2005..

Hurricane Katrina? :confused:

kelmac07
10-12-2013, 07:17 AM
F**k Carlos Beltran!!!

jonumberone
10-12-2013, 07:26 AM
F**k Carlos Beltran!!!

:r :r :r :r

Seriously made me smile! :D

icehog3
10-12-2013, 10:25 AM
F**k Carlos Beltran!!!

Nah, I'd probably hurt him.

CigarSquid
10-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Cards seem to be looking pretty good.

AdamJoshua
10-12-2013, 06:41 PM
Gonna be a good series .. caught the first inning .. going out with a friend tonight that doesn't like baseball ... need to find a place with conveniently placed tvs that she won't see :(

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

CigarSquid
10-12-2013, 06:43 PM
Gonna be a good series .. caught the first inning .. going out with a friend tonight that doesn't like baseball ... need to find a place with conveniently placed tvs that she won't see :(

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Good luck... :r

Glad I got a wife who loves baseball just as much as me.

icehog3
10-13-2013, 01:33 AM
Tigers strikeouts for Game 1:

K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K K

Red Sox hits for Game 1:

H

I expect a much better hitting performance from Boston in Game 2, but I am thrilled that Detroit took Game 1 in Fenway.

CigarSquid
10-13-2013, 07:23 AM
That was some great pitching by the Tigers.

Tom, what are the Tigers doing that is putting these hitters in a funk. Same thing in Oakland.

I thought Boston was going to do way more than last night.

icehog3
10-13-2013, 09:57 AM
I think with Verlander, Scherzer, Fister and Sanchez, the Tigers have the best 4 man rotation in baseball on paper....when they actually execute it, they're scary good, Garry.

AdamJoshua
10-13-2013, 11:47 AM
Yah and a good thing their P is back from his ban too, so that's 2 game winners in a row for him, glad it was only 50 games huh :r

icehog3
10-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Yah and a good thing their P is back from his ban too, so that's 2 game winners in a row for him, glad it was only 50 games huh :r

He served his penalty, I am good with all we get from him...hoping he makes it 3 today. :)

Bruins Fan
10-14-2013, 03:39 AM
Well now...:noon:noon

CigarSquid
10-14-2013, 07:25 AM
What a exciting game last night. 1 mistake on a 2 out pitch.

So far, these two games have gone the same way it went down in Oakland.

Tigers beat us Game 1, and A's won with a walk off hit, to the same part of the field in Game 2.

kelmac07
10-14-2013, 08:01 AM
Benoit coughs up another one.

icehog3
10-14-2013, 09:01 AM
If the series ends the same way, I will be happy, Garry. ;)

BlackIrish
10-14-2013, 11:36 AM
I was lucky enough to score some grandstand tickets. Lucky 'cause tix are hard to get, and lucky to be in the grandstand where there's some protection from the wind and the seating is so tight that you stay warm from sheer proximity to the people around you. And the people around you aren't the fancy, luxury-box people, but just regular folks who love the Sox and who'll probably tell their grandkids that they were at last night's game.

It was a great f'ng game. I love October!

Check out this GIF showing Hunter flip over the wall.

http://mlb.si.com/2013/10/14/cop-david-ortiz-torii-hunter-gif

10-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Unbelievable game. I can't believe the Tiger's waster Scherzer's performance by blowing a 5-1 lead. Brutal. Hopefully Verlander can put us back in the series lead.

icehog3
10-14-2013, 03:15 PM
F***in' Benoit. :hn

AdamJoshua
10-14-2013, 09:27 PM
What a crappy schedule, 4pm eastern so I'll be in the middle of work at 1pm my time when the games are on.

kelmac07
10-15-2013, 05:13 AM
Ryu looked really good last night. Nice win for the Dodgers.

10-15-2013, 08:42 AM
What a crappy schedule, 4pm eastern so I'll be in the middle of work at 1pm my time when the games are on.

Something we agree on. We had two stupid game starts against Oakland, a 2:00 PM and a 5:00 PM. I plan to DVR the game and watch it after dinner.

AdamJoshua
10-15-2013, 12:08 PM
I went in this morning and am now home, working second half of the day and going to watch the game. You'd think they are losing a lot of viewing share with this schedule, I don't remember it being this bad in the past, but then again I probably just forgot... like an ex ... you never remember all the really bad stuff. :r

AdamJoshua
10-15-2013, 02:48 PM
Can't play baseball in natural light?

icehog3
10-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Verlander has it going on, and Lackey has settled in nicely.

Ortiz scares me now more than Coco, and he almost jacked another one just now.

AdamJoshua
10-15-2013, 03:50 PM
Edit: don't want to jinx him.

I like how they danced around the issue that John was basically an asshole :r "He's matured", "He's not the same type of guy that he was", etc.,

kelmac07
10-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Cabrera and Fielder needed to produce in that spot.

AdamJoshua
10-15-2013, 05:49 PM
Hey Mac, they are doing just fine... shush! :r

Tio Gato
10-15-2013, 05:49 PM
Sox win!:wo

Bruins Fan
10-15-2013, 05:50 PM
Koji..Koji..Koji:noon

pnoon
10-16-2013, 06:51 PM
Out at second? He wasn't even in the same zip code.

AdamJoshua
10-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Wow Peavy couldn't throw a strike to save his life AND Pedroia bobbled an easy DP ball, that being said I think there are some good Big Bang Theory re-runs on =P

CigarSquid
10-16-2013, 07:24 PM

That was a sad call.

icehog3
10-16-2013, 08:11 PM

That was a sad call.

Hoping it doesn't matter. Fingers and toes crossed. I still remember Game 2. Leyland better bring in Coke if that scenario repeats itself, or maybe I will start doing coke.....

10-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Cabrera and Fielder needed to produce in that spot.

Game 3, 8th inning, runners on 1st and 3rd, Miggy up to bat with Prince behind him and 0 runs scored in a 1-0 game. Brutal. Miggy admitted to a reporter that he got himself out swinging at junk.

This "neighborhood" crap at 2nd base has to get fixed. I'm against it in all cases, even for my team. Are outs called anywhere else in baseball for being close? There is no justification for this that I can stomach. It's all :bs Are 1st downs granted in the NFL for being close enough to 10 yards from the line of scrimmage?

10-17-2013, 10:59 AM
All that aside, it was good to see AJ hitting, walking, stealing, and scoring runs. It seems many of the bats came to life against Peavy. I hope it can continue for the Tigers against Lester.

AdamJoshua
10-17-2013, 10:52 PM
Iggy's play on Ortiz's bloop was one of the top 3 catches, right up there with Lance B.'s rolling dive of a catch to preserve Nomo's no hitter with the RedSox vs the Os many many years ago.

CigarSquid
10-18-2013, 06:19 AM
I am glad to see Boston wake up a bit.

10-18-2013, 08:52 AM
Tigers need some extra base hits. Nothing but singles makes it tough to score. Miggy has a pretty good excuse, but Prince has to start cracking the bat. Facing elimination, there's no better tandem of pitchers in the league I'd rather have on the bump that Scherzer and Verlander (if it goes 7).

Bruins Fan
10-18-2013, 09:07 AM
Boston's bull pen has been lights out..Koji has only walked two and given up like two runs in 53 innings.
Sox are back in friendly Fenway..and the bats should come alive?:D

10-18-2013, 09:20 AM
Boston's bull pen has been lights out..Koji has only walked two and given up like two runs in 53 innings.
Sox are back in friendly Fenway..and the bats should come alive?:D

I don't think homefield offers a big advantage in baseball but Fenway is a bit different in that regard. Knowing how to play fly balls off the monster is an advantage, as is the ability to hit fly balls to LF over that thing. The Tigers did get to Buchholz the first time, so hopefully that will continue.

Bruins Fan
10-18-2013, 09:37 AM
Buchholz is still coming back from an injury,you see flashes of what he his game is.
If he gets it together he is as dominant as any pitcher in the game..we will see what he brings tomorrow?

billybarue
10-18-2013, 11:44 AM
This "neighborhood" crap at 2nd base has to get fixed. I'm against it in all cases, even for my team. Are outs called anywhere else in baseball for being close? There is no justification for this that I can stomach. It's all :bs Are 1st downs granted in the NFL for being close enough to 10 yards from the line of scrimmage?

Couldn't agree more!

The only justification that is plausible is to eliminate hard/high slides, or just going into 2nd hard, to break up the DP. Sorry, but I don't buy that one either. It's part of the game that has been eliminated. When's the last time you saw someone "really" try to break up a DP. I'm surprised they haven't figured out how to prevent someone going hard into the catcher (ala, Buster Posey).

Are baseball players too frail or fragile today? Wideouts/Tight Ends still have to go across the middle and in hockey you still have to go into the corner for the puck. But I guess baseball is comfortable with where the sport has gone - pitching and home runs. Not much "small ball" played at the MLB level anymore.

AdamJoshua
10-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Couldn't agree more!

The only justification that is plausible is to eliminate hard/high slides, or just going into 2nd hard, to break up the DP. Sorry, but I don't buy that one either. It's part of the game that has been eliminated. When's the last time you saw someone "really" try to break up a DP. I'm surprised they haven't figured out how to prevent someone going hard into the catcher (ala, Buster Posey).

Are baseball players too frail or fragile today? Wideouts/Tight Ends still have to go across the middle and in hockey you still have to go into the corner for the puck. But I guess baseball is comfortable with where the sport has gone - pitching and home runs. Not much "small ball" played at the MLB level anymore.

I think having people slide in spikes first running as fast as they can does justify a bit of a judgement call on the umps part, don't care who the teams are.

10-18-2013, 11:51 AM
I think having people slide in spikes first running as fast as they can does justify a bit of a judgement call on the umps part, don't care who the teams are.

WAHHHHH. :bs

It still happens despite this neighborhood crap. Players get injured trying to complete or breakup double plays all the time. It's part of the game. Leave it alone and get rid of this "you dont' REALLY have to actually touch the base while you have the ball to get an out" interpretation of the rule. It's fundamental to the game.

NFL teams dont' get a first down for 29ft from scrimmage do they? Do they count hitting the goal post as a goal in the NHL? It's insane to me they way it's handled now.

pnoon
10-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Couldn't agree more!

It still happens despite this neighborhood crap. Players get injured trying to complete or breakup double plays all the time. It's part of the game. Leave it alone and get rid of this "you dont' REALLY have to actually touch the base while you have the ball to get an out" interpretation of the rule. It's fundamental to the game.

NFL teams dont' get a first down for 29ft from scrimmage do they? Do they count hitting the goal post as a goal in the NHL? It's insane to me they way it's handled now.

I guess to balance things out Bud Selig (the great innovator and caretaker of MLB :rolleyes:) will propose a rule change that will make all fly balls caught on the warning track a super-grand-slam home run worth 5 runs.

AdamJoshua
10-18-2013, 12:42 PM

I guess to balance things out Bud Selig (the great innovator and caretaker of MLB :rolleyes:) will propose a rule change that will make all fly balls caught on the warning track a super-grand-slam home run worth 5 runs.

I only agree with this rule if it applies to David Ortiz ... oh and what the hell Tom Brady in the case of backyard whiffle ball :D

billybarue
10-18-2013, 12:46 PM
357 said guys are getting injured all the time completing or breaking up DP's at 2nd. Admittedly, I don't watch much baseball anymore but I don't think that happens much anymore. I mean really going hard into the shortstop. Hell, you really can't - the shortstop is almost in right field before he throws the ball to first.

Gotta go in spikes first Peter, unless you mandate head first (Pete Rose) slides into double plays. The only point I draw the line is where maniacs like Ty Cobb would literally sharpen his spikes to intimidate others. And apparently, it wasn't just bravado - he really went in to rip guys up and hurt them. Great player, but POS human being.:td

10-18-2013, 02:23 PM
Yes the Ty Cobb style slides (trying to injure) are not common, but guys frequently slide into defensive players to break up double-plays. It happened on the play I was complaining about. Nobody was hurt THAT time but it happens a lot I'm sure given 162 games/year.

I Googled "injured breaking up double play" and there's 5 players mentioned on the first page, no incident older than 2012.

Here's Jacoby Ellsbury this year
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWV7uRtmk0c

According to this http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110411&content_id=17642700&c_id=mlb all the player has to do is make an attempt to touch 2B when breaking up a double play.

I suggest a comprimise of sorts. It should be legal to break up the play but if you don't touch the base, you should be ejected. AND, the defensive player would actually have to touch the base and the basesball at the same time, EVERYTIME!!!! This way you would eliminate or strongly discourage going way outside the basepath to injure someone while preserving the fundamentals/integrity of the game.

ChicagoWhiteSox
10-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Jose freaking Abreu:D

10-18-2013, 03:37 PM
Good to "see" you Nate. ;)

ChicagoWhiteSox
10-18-2013, 04:53 PM
You too Mike, maybe my Sox can be more of a challenge for your Tigers next year:r doubt it though:tf

ChicagoWhiteSox
10-19-2013, 10:57 AM
Can't wait to see this kid next year
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP2PrTvnk3U

AdamJoshua
10-20-2013, 12:20 AM
https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/988307_10151674451016766_738085884_n.png

:r

CigarSquid
10-20-2013, 08:41 AM
If it is really about player safety, then why can a runner barrel into home plate, no intention at all to hit the plate, but rock the catchers world?

AdamJoshua
10-20-2013, 09:48 AM
Catcher has a little more protection than say a second baseman. Also this is all about second and breaking up the double play, at least that's the excuse, it's really the only time it happens.

CigarSquid
10-20-2013, 09:53 AM
Catcher has a little more protection than say a second baseman. Also this is all about second and breaking up the double play, at least that's the excuse, it's really the only time it happens.

Protection? That catcher gear helps getting a shoulder to your ribs? Sin guards help your knees?

They get hit just as hard, are like a defenseless receiver at that point. More then nit, the catcher has very little time to brace.. plus he is kneeling down while the runner is diving right at him.

ChicagoWhiteSox
10-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Oh dear Lord please don't change mlb like nfl and nba. The changes are said to be for the players protection, that is bull$hit.

Bruins Fan
10-20-2013, 12:44 PM
If it's a bang....bang play the fielder gets it.

If it is booted,bobbled or a bad throw then it is looked at very close and called accordingly.

That is the way it has been called forever for all teams.

AdamJoshua
10-20-2013, 12:44 PM
Edit: NM go back to whaaaaa

You wanna ***** and complain complain about Joe West's every changing strike zone lol

icehog3
10-21-2013, 10:48 PM
OK, I guess we can close this thread up now and start the 2014 thread.

;) :lr

CigarSquid
10-21-2013, 10:58 PM
OK, I guess we can close this thread up now and start the 2014 thread.

;) :lr

I was ready a week ago.