NCRadioMan
10-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Originaly written on 5-30-08

Wrapper: Nicaraguan Criollo
Filler: Nicaraguan
Binder: Nicaraguan
Size: Lonsdale -- The Sentry 6 x 46
Paid: Sample

Filled very well and heavy in the hand. The draw was perfect with a slight resistance that I like. The Nic Criollo wrapper had a slightly reddish hue with a nice oily sheen. Burn was razor sharp.

From the first light it was very smooth and rich. Started out on the mild to med side with some cream and earthy notes. Developed into a rich med to full bodied smoke that coats the mouth and some spice starts to creep in the picture. Overall the flavor was quite good and I was hoping the cigar would last a bit longer. A very nice, clean finish with every puff.

I am a sucker for nic puro's and this one didn't dissapoint. They are blended by another Cuban ex-Pat, Jesus Fuego. He has some great credinials so you will be hearing his name alot in the near future. He apprenticed under Alejandro Robaina. Whoever he is. ;)

A darn good cigar, imo.

Gophernut
10-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Any idea where to find one of these in a B&M? I haven't seen one yet, although I did get a nice hat in the mail the other day.

SmokeyNL
10-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Doubt if they will ever be sold over here, but I did have the baseball cap sent to mnwanger to add to my collection of cigar-hats :ss

bobarian
10-15-2008, 11:56 AM
I got a Defiance hat from Xikar yesterday. But no smoke to try. :confused:

AngryBill
02-06-2009, 11:14 AM
Here is my review of the same cigar.

Well, Cigar Affianado placed this one in their top 25 cigars of 2008, so I had to try one. These cigars were created for Xikar by Jesus Fuego, a fifth generation Cuban tobacco grower and expert blender. These are a
Nicaraguan Puro; Nicaraguan Shade Grown Criollo wrapper aged for 4 years, a Nicaraguan Sun Grown Corojo binder and Nicaraguan filler.

The Cigar: Defiance Sentry - Corona Gorda - 6 X 46

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn239/wyldbillb/PCC/xIKAR.jpg

Pre-light inspection of this cigar shows a nice oily, medium brown cigar. Minor veins and no apparent construction issues were present. Hints of cedar, light white pepper and a sweetness were present. After cutting this cigar with my Palio, tastes of Carmel, pepper and cedar came through. No hints of draw restriction on this cigar.

I toasted this cigar with my Dupont Xtend lighter and this cigar took off. A great amount of light grey smoke came off this cigar. A slight restriction developed in the first third of the cigar, but this did not cause any difficulty in smoking this cigar. Cedar, leather, white pepper and the carmel remained in this cigar. After approximately 1/2" to 3/4", I noticed a crack develop at the foot of the cigar. No other contruction issues came to light. The cigar had a nice mottled light grey ash, which remained somewhat firm on the cigar. The crack continued to grow as this cigar progressed.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn239/wyldbillb/PCC/xIKAR2.jpg

The 2nd third continued with the same tastes, allowing the meld of pepper and sweetness to shine through. The crack continued to grow, causing the wrapper to unwrap at the foot. The ash remained firm and the smoke continued to be a good amount. Just prior to the final third, this cigar went out for no reason. After a few attempts to relight this cigar, it finally took off again.

The final third kept the cedar, leather, sweetness, but the white pepper started to slightly overpower the cigar taste. Hints of mild nicotine started to come through also. The earlier crack finally subsided though.

Overall, this was an alright cigar. Nothing spectacular and no way should this one be in anyone's top 25. Just my opinion though. The blend was good. The construction was overall good, but the crack was iritating. The finish was not bad, leaving no harsh aftertaste. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate this one at about a 7.2. This cigar was nothing special, but rather an okay cigar. At a price point of $6.75 (MSRP), I would expect something better. Possibly with some age, this cigar might get better.

I should note that I smoke 2 others after this cigar. THe flavors remained, but one of the other cigars I smoked also developed a crack at the foot. The two that developed cracks were smoked at a local B & M, and the other was smoked after sitting in my humidor for 2 weeks. No issues developed.

Thanks for taking the time to read and hope it helps.

elderboy02
02-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the review! I picked one of these up the other day and I am waiting for some warm weather to fire it up.

elderboy02
02-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Any idea where to find one of these in a B&M? I haven't seen one yet, although I did get a nice hat in the mail the other day.

The Party Source has some in stock as of a couple weeks ago. Their number is 866-78-CIGAR. Their shipping is very cheap as well :tu

roughrider
02-06-2009, 12:20 PM
These seem to be getting good reviews all over the place.

karmaz00
02-06-2009, 01:05 PM
thanks for the review

jledou
02-06-2009, 01:21 PM
Being in the Kansas City area they are a little more accessible. I had my first one about a month ago and I would have to say that the flavor was good but maybe nothing to totally wow me. I thought the construction was very good, the draw was a little tight for my preferences but the burn on mine was good. I don't know that they are in my top 25 but I will try a few more here and there and I would also recommend them to others to at least give it one shot.