PDA

View Full Version : Red Dawn?

oooo35980
11-03-2012, 09:17 AM
I saw a commercial that took my breath away today, they are remaking red dawn. With North Korea as the invading force... Why?

There have been some pointless and terrible remakes, Willy Wonka for instance, but Red Dawn? This confirms that Dec 21 actually will be the end of the world.

cjhalbrooks
11-03-2012, 09:27 AM
How can they make Red Dawn any better. Let me guess Samuel L Jackson will be the leader of the Wolverines and Iron Man will join the Korean Side. The Koreans will have laser eyes too. I hate how they do this.

Although if they put a new spin on it and try not to remake the movie it might be ok. MAYBE

T.G
11-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Yeah, because the original Red Dawn was just so spectacular and such an incredible work of cinematography that it deserves to be up there with Kubrick's films and worshiped, never to be remade. :rolleyes:

I figure it can't be any worse than the original.

FWIW, they actually remade the movie about 5 years ago, it's been on the shelf since then due to MGM almost going bankrupt.

cjhalbrooks
11-03-2012, 09:36 AM
I really like Red Dawn.. That being said are they going to remake The DUKE or Good, Bad and the Ugly.. Classics are just that classics leave them alone.. :2

T.G
11-03-2012, 09:37 AM
How can they make Red Dawn any better. Let me guess Samuel L Jackson will be the leader of the Wolverines and Iron Man will join the Korean Side. The Koreans will have laser eyes too. I hate how they do this.

Although if they put a new spin on it and try not to remake the movie it might be ok. MAYBE

It was originally the Chinese that invaded in the remake when they shot it 5 years ago, then recently in the last year digitally edited to be the North Koreans, so maybe they could digitally edit in Samuel L. Jackson while they are at it. (And Jar-Jar Binks too.)

pnoon
11-03-2012, 09:39 AM
I really like Red Dawn.. That being said are they going to remake The DUKE or Good, Bad and the Ugly.. Classics are just that classics leave them alone.. :2

Red Dawn a classic?

Puh-leez.

T.G
11-03-2012, 09:48 AM

They've already remade those movies a hundred times over. Typically by the same cast & crew, the very next year, just changed a few character & location names, maybe some new paint on one of the set pieces...

Sometimes they would even swap out a few pages of the script for new ideas. Sometimes.

mhailey
11-03-2012, 09:50 AM
It was originally the Chinese that invaded in the remake when they shot it 5 years ago, then recently in the last year digitally edited to be the North Koreans, so maybe they could digitally edit in Samuel L. Jackson while they are at it. (And Jar-Jar Binks too.)

And Greedo shot first. Hollywood is so lack luster lately. This summer was nothing but remakes or sequels. Original thought is outlawed.

T.G
11-03-2012, 09:52 AM
And Greedo shot first. Hollywood is so lack luster lately. This summer was nothing but remakes or sequels. Original thought is outlawed.

Red Dawn would actually be cool if Greedo was in it.

Zoom! PEW! PEW! PEW! BOOOOOM! Alderan pieces everywhere!

oooo35980
11-03-2012, 09:56 AM
How can you say Red Dawn isn't a classic? It's campy, unrealistic, has Patrick Swayze in it, and now Hollywood is remaking it. A film doesn't have to be "Gone With the Wind" to be a classic...

T.G
11-03-2012, 09:59 AM
How can you say Red Dawn isn't a classic? It's campy, unrealistic, has Patrick Swayze in it, and now Hollywood is remaking it. A film doesn't have to be "Gone With the Wind" to be a classic...

" has Patrick Swayze in it"

That's how.

It's a turd.

Now, if it had Bruce Campbell and his boomstick it would be a classic campy turd.

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

pnoon
11-03-2012, 10:07 AM

Easy.
Not even one of the best in its genre. I'm not saying it's a bad movie. I'm not saying it's a good movie. But, to me, the term classic should be reserved for the best of the best. IMO, Red Dawn doesn't even come close. Unless any movie in the top half or top third of its genre is considered a classic.

LasciviousXXX
11-03-2012, 10:22 AM
I'm not saying anything, I'm just saying. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DRy27cxsEU)

markem
11-03-2012, 10:33 AM
We all get to define our classics. We don't get to define the classics of our generation, but our own personal classics are what they are. Plenty of people don't like at least some of my personal classics and I'll never vote for a movie with a stupid kid who wants to put his eye out with a BB gun.

The appropriate answer when someone calls a movie classic and you disagree is "I'm glad you likes it." and move on.

So, I'm glad you liked it.

replicant_argent
11-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

And on a related note, I actually used that phrase the other day.

It made me giggle like a little school girl swooning over Patrick Swayze in Dirty Dancing.

icehog3
11-03-2012, 10:54 AM
" has Patrick Swayze in it"

That's how.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/swayze2.jpg

"Not cool, Braugh, totally uncool. I'm so out of here. Vaya con Dios, Amigo".

CigarNut
11-03-2012, 11:01 AM
I liked the original Red Dawn and have watched it more than once enjoying it each time. However, I was really surprised to see that they were remaking it. While it was a good movie, I don't see how a remake will be any better or different enough to warrant watching it.

Having said all that, too many people in Hollywood are too lazy to write their own scripts so they just reuse existing ones and hope for the best...

icehog3
11-03-2012, 11:09 AM
I don't see how a remake will be any better or different enough to warrant watching it.

That's what they said about "Psycho", "Planet of the Apes", "The Poseidon Adventure", .......wait, wait a minute....

Never mind. :lr

SvilleKid
11-03-2012, 11:59 AM
We all get to define our classics. We don't get to define the classics of our generation, but our own personal classics are what they are. Plenty of people don't like at least some of my personal classics and I'll never vote for a movie with a stupid kid who wants to put his eye out with a BB gun.

The appropriate answer when someone calls a movie classic and you disagree is "I'm glad you likes it." and move on.

So, I'm glad you liked it.

Great response, Mark!

And in that line: Kubrick films; glad some people like them.

Films are just like cigars. Watch them if you like them. Don't expect to like the ones everyone else likes. Don't expect to hate the ones the critic pan.

Ratters
11-03-2012, 03:25 PM
Nope. Red Dawn is a classic. If you don't agree you can suck it. :fu :D

As for the remake, the North Koreans? Really? Now China would make a little bit of sense, but there is no way the North Koreans are capable of anything, they can't even shoot off a missle without it blowing up far away from it's destination.

icehog3
11-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Hope "it" is a tittie. ;)

OLS
11-03-2012, 04:38 PM
I am on the side of LIKING RED DAWN......
I agree that classic doesn't mean one thing exclusively. They Live with Rowdy Roddy Piper?
Great little cheeseball.
Plan 9 is a classic and it sucks.
Talladega Nights is a Terrible Movie, and yet people just can't STOP LOVING IT.

I like Red dawn a lot but always thought it should have been better. Just because it had all the budding new stars
of the day does not mean they were cast to be freaking Oscar candidates. If ANYTHING is bad about this its how
easily they decided to keep Chinese relations in the great state they are by digitally manipulating the right frames.
Hollywood is filled with caricatures of human beings running things, they are scared 5hitless of originality. But you could
easily show them what you think about it. Most choose not to, and go to the theater and see crap du jour every night.
When it is released on DVD in a few weeks, I will do my part as a good American and download it illegally.

if i am a sucker, and I am, it is that I always have hope that now that they CAN, they will make it better.
But of course, then they go out and re-make THE THING just as bad as it could possible be.

E.J.
11-03-2012, 04:46 PM
Have to agree, love "Red Dawn" and me and my friends always refer to it as a classic. It hit just when we were in Jr. High and being in the Inter-mountain West, us all being athletes....there were many "Wolverines!!!" yells in our late night running the neighborhood fun.... I still remember the movie fondly and will watch the new one, probably with those same guys, we'll make a day of it.....

E.J.
11-03-2012, 04:47 PM
They Live with Rowdy Roddy Piper?
Great little cheeseball.

Woke up at 4:00 AM on Monday and couldn't fall back asleep, got up, made coffee and watched about an hour of "They Live".....:r

OLS
11-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Are you serious??
If so that is hilarious.
One thing about THEY LIVE is, that's all you have to watch of it. I am not sure if I remember whether or not
it peters off fast after that or not. I might have to dig it out tonight for tomorrow's viewing.
Still boycotting Goodell's NFL, so Sunday is always a movie marathon. I hope Goodell has to end up resigning.

E.J.
11-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Serious as a heart attack....

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum." :r:r:r

CigarNut
11-03-2012, 05:37 PM
After just seeing a preview for Red Dawn (while watching the Ducks foortball game) my wife informed me that we will be seeing it...

She *loves* Chris Hemsworth....

Bax
11-03-2012, 05:38 PM
Serious as a heart attack....

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum." :r:r:r

Best one liner in movie history :r Love that flick!

icehog3
11-04-2012, 08:47 AM
But of course, then they go out and re-make THE THING just as bad as it could possible be.

The Thing wasn't a remake, Brad, it was a prequel. The last scene of the "new" one is the first scene of the old one. :)

JohnRogers
11-04-2012, 08:54 AM
Unfortunately movies just like automobiles are now made with Chinese sensibilities in mind. Someone forgot to mention that to the producers prior to shooting the film but yeah a successful North Korean invasion is science fiction.

SvilleKid
11-04-2012, 10:42 AM
The Thing wasn't a remake, Brad, it was a prequel. The last scene of the "new" one is the first scene of the old one. :)

I've avoided the new one, thinking it was a remake. Guess I should watch it...... Or should I????

elderboy02
11-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Red Dawn is a classic :tu

Jbailey
11-04-2012, 02:15 PM
Years ago when I was still in MI I saw something about making the movie. It was mostly filmed in Detroit. I thought they gave up on it since it took so long.

Catfish
11-04-2012, 02:30 PM
I'm one of the people that will agree with the movie/ cigar analogy. If you like it, great. If not, don't judge me for liking it because I'm not judging you for disliking it.

I really liked the movie. Not a "watch it everytime I get a chance" like but I have it on DVD and every couple of years or so, will dig it out and watch it.

In comparison, many war movies have never won any big award yet THOUSANDS of DVD's of that movie are in discographies across the country.

icehog3
11-04-2012, 03:48 PM
I've avoided the new one, thinking it was a remake. Guess I should watch it...... Or should I????

If you have 99 cents for the rental and 90 minutes to kill (perfect cigar time), it was relatively entertaining, I liked the first one a lot, so it was interesting to see what went on before that one started.

T.G
11-04-2012, 04:53 PM
I'm one of the people that will agree with the movie/ cigar analogy. If you like it, great. If not, don't judge me for liking it because I'm not judging you for disliking it.

I'm sorry, I missed the post(s) in this thread where anyone who liked it was judged by those who don't think much of the movie. Would you care to point them out?

The discussion has been entirely about the movie and what defines them.

It's perfectly ok to say you didn't care for "such-and-such cigar" or even that you think it's junk (ref: Gurkha), even in a thread full of praise. Calling someone an idiot for smoking it, on the other hand, is not.

I believe Pnoon posted an analogy at one point in another thread relating to such which went something like: "Ref, bad call." is ok. "Ref, you're a blind moron, bad call." is not.

Catfish
11-04-2012, 05:09 PM
I must have misunderstood. :sh

I saw the trailer for the remake a couple weeks ago. I was definitely not impressed but in the spirit of liking the old one, i'll at least watch the remake.

pnoon
11-04-2012, 05:11 PM
I must have misunderstood. :sh

Just a bit. :rolleyes:

CigarNut
11-04-2012, 05:47 PM
I am still stuck with having to see the remake... :(

jonharky
11-05-2012, 06:20 AM
The only reason why I want to watch it is to see scenes that were filmed in Michigan one place was about 3 blocks from where I grew up in my Clemens Michigan and in Harper woods Michigan and that's it

The Poet
11-05-2012, 02:01 PM

Ehh, that may be the case with the newest iteration, but the 1982 John Carpenter one starring Kurt Russell was a remake of the 1951 version with James Arness. It was entitled The Thing From Another World, and was based on a 1938 short story by "Don A. Stuart" . . . best known as Golden Age SF editor John W. Campbell.

That being said, I have no problem with remakes of movies like Red Dawn . . . as long as they NEVER have the balls to remake something like Citizen Kane. :r

Edit, for accuracy's sake: It was actually classed as a novella by Campbell, entitled Who Goes There?

icehog3
11-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Understood, Thomas....I think the discussion I was addressing was about the most recent film being a remake though.

The Poet
11-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Understood, Thomas....I think the discussion I was addressing was about the most recent film being a remake though.

:tu

(Though I might add that some of the young pups here don't know this sort of crap. They think SF movies started with Star Wars, or maybe 2001, and don't realize 1951 was a banner year for them.)

icehog3
11-05-2012, 02:52 PM
And me, I have never seen any of the Star Wars movies....not a one. I'd rather watch Invasion of the Body Snatchers. :)

VirtualSmitty
11-05-2012, 03:11 PM
And me, I have never seen any of the Star Wars movies....not a one. I'd rather watch Invasion of the Body Snatchers. :)

I've never watched any of the Godfather movies ;)

Red Dawn sucked, i'm surprised to see a remake of it made before Short Circuit!

The Poet
11-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Red Dawn sucked, i'm surprised to see a remake of it made before Short Circuit!

:r Wasn't that called Terminator?

What about Batteries Not Included? :D