PDA

View Full Version : Partagas 160 Robusto Major

jjirons69
10-28-2012, 07:44 AM
Here's a little bio I found:

"In 1995 General Cigar offered an extremely limited edition cigar to commemorate the 150 years Partagas cigars have been in production- the Partagas 150. Ten years later, using the same rare, 1977 vintage Cameroon wrapper, they launched the Partagas 160 Signature Series.

These very sought-after beauties are Cigar Master Daniel Nuñez’s tribute to the legacy of his mentor, the legendary Ramón Cifuentes. Blended with Dominican Piloto Cubano and Mexican San Andres filler tobaccos, these cigars have been sorted three times to intensify the flavors of the tobaccos. The result is a cigar connoisseur’s delight; a medium bodied, well-balanced, extremely rich and creamy smoke."

Cigar: Partagas 160 Robusto Major
Size: 5.5 x 52
Price: $18-$23
Paired: Mendocino Oatmeal Stout
Time: 1.5 hours

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/jjirons69/P1050651.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/jjirons69/P1050653.jpg

This cigar was gifted to me years ago by a fellow PSHC member. I probably have 30 or so HTF or premium NCs and I don't smoke them often. The only NCs I buy are special deals with buddies just to have smokes on the golf course, so my stash if limited. It was a raining afternoon yesterday and after eyeing this guy for a few weeks, I decided it was time. I also thought about a little review, so here it goes.

Initial: The cigar was well-constructed, firm, and tight. It had a typical cigar smell. It wasn't that attractive, as the wrapper looked a little splotchy and faded. I guess that's to be expected given the age of the wrapper. I punched it and toasted away.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/jjirons69/P1050659.jpg

1st third: It lit great. The draw was not loose and was probably a tad tight. After a few drags and a little finger rolling, it loosened up nicely. My initial thought were very pleasing. Hype-wise, I was prepared for a big let down, another run-of-the-mill premium smoke that would for sure not make it all the way through a blind taste test. However, the taste was very smooth with a strong bread presence. There was no spice, pepper, etc. I would call it medium. The aftertastes were not long and were quite pleasing. The bread flavors were even more pronounced in the nasal exhale. Again, strange, as I don't nasal exhale the majority of NCs as I find them too harsh for my olfactory system. For several draws in this first third I picked up salt. It reminded me of the salty taste I get from Dips or Sancho Panzas. Very pronounced and a nice surprise. After that short incident, however, it was gone. I kept trying to compare this stick to others I've had. It was a unique NC in that it didn't taste like an NC. I would have to say it was very similar to a fresh PLPC. That's pretty bold for me to say, as I don't remember any NCs that directly remind me of CCs. It paired well with my oatmeal stout. No touchups.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/jjirons69/P1050660.jpg

2nd third:
The draw was much looser and just about right. No more salt, but still lots of bread. As I was getting deeper, I thought it would change to a little more fuller smoke, but it didn't. It remained smooth, and while a little stronger, would still be what I called medium. Nasal exhales were still tasty. There were more hints of wood and leather as I got deeper. It wasn't overly complex with flavors shifting every few draws, but it was enjoyable. Also noted was the absence of sweetness. It was in no way bitter or hot, but it also wasn't sweet. No touchups.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/jjirons69/P1050661.jpg

jjirons69
10-28-2012, 07:52 AM
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/jjirons69/P1050662.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/jjirons69/P1050663.jpg

3rd third:
From here to the end, it smoked great. I never picked up the lighter from the initial toasting. It burned razor sharp and held an inch of ash with no problem. It was building a little to a medium-full smoke, but still very smooth. The nasal exhales were still enjoyable and flavorful with the same pronounced bread and subtle wood/leather profiles. It still reminded of a PLPC. I took it down to around an inch.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/jjirons69/P1050664.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/jjirons69/P1050665.jpg

Conclusions:
I admit I was very pleased and surprised. This cigar has history and hype and I saw it as a sales ploy. I was mistaken. This entire smoke was smooth, slightly woodsy with a little leather, and busting with warm bread. I'd dare say creamy would work, too. It's not overly-complex and even kind of predictable once you get going. It never hot or bitter and burned as well as any cigar could. It was a most unique NC to me. Would I want to pay $20 for one - maybe during a special occasion. It is worth the money - yes, compared to other $20 NCs. It was a great cigar. Great NCs can cost you and I've seen premium money plopped down for smokes no where near this caliber. I expected a lot and I got a lot. This is rare for my NC experience.

Number: I'd give it a 94.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t178/jjirons69/P1050667.jpg

ninjavanish
10-28-2012, 08:00 AM
I have to admit, I was worried when I saw you chose to pair it with an Oatmeal Stout. The 160's are now getting up there in age and the flavors are becoming more delicate and nuanced. I was afraid such a full flavored beer would overpower it. Nice review.

SvilleKid
10-28-2012, 09:41 AM
I hate it because it's a General Cigar stick

Not really

Just wanted to get a "General" slam in!

omowasu
10-28-2012, 10:50 AM
Great review Jamie, thanks for the thoughts and pictures on this one.

This is one of the NCs that age really, really well... Ive heard that the Partagas 150s and 160s are excellent candidates for laying down for 5-10 years.

Emjaysmash
10-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Awesome Interview!! Thanks!

N2 GOLD
10-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Great review, thanks... :ss

RevSmoke
10-29-2012, 08:47 PM
I loved the 150s, had a number of them. I never had a 160, maybe I should.

Thanks for the nice review.

Peace of The Lord be with you.

dubleuhb
10-30-2012, 06:57 PM
Nice review. Great first cigar for the day. Couple years back my one of my locals had them insanely cheap compared to MSRP. Only had the Robusto Minors, down to my last half box, wish I could have bought them all.

iaMkcK
10-30-2012, 07:24 PM
For the price, I'm weary. But -- I've yet to have a bad Partagas.. Your review may have swayed me to pick one or two up. Now to find an inexpensive obtainment route. :-D

Inside_INFO
11-05-2012, 11:07 AM
In think it over price for a non Cuban Partagas General Cigars is just taking advantage that there is not cuban cigars in the states. For the looks I will guess it will dry you mouth and it will be a very hot burn filling...
I can wait to see a traditional cigar made with love and know how. Now we just paying for marketing.
All this big boys are taking the industry for a ride....
Nothing personal I just can`t take it no more.... They are printing label and puting prices.

Subvet642
11-05-2012, 12:10 PM
... For the looks I will guess it will dry you mouth and it will be a very hot burn filling...

That's one helluva trick; to review a stick without even smoking it!

T.G
11-05-2012, 12:33 PM
That's one helluva trick; to review a stick without even smoking it!

But he's "Inside_INFO"! He's gots da skillz!

Subvet642
11-05-2012, 12:42 PM
But he's "Inside_INFO"! He's gots da skillz!

If I had skillz like that, I wouldn't even have to buy any sticks; I could just look at pictures.

T.G
11-05-2012, 12:58 PM
If I had skillz like that, I wouldn't even have to buy any sticks; I could just look at pictures.

It would be really cool if it worked on other pictures too.

Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition.
Victoria's Secret catalog.
Best of The Golden Girls, a sitcom history in pictures.

Subvet642
11-05-2012, 01:08 PM
It would be really cool if it worked on other pictures too.

Sports Illustrated swimsuit edition.
Victoria's Secret catalog.
Best of The Golden Girls, a sitcom history in pictures.

I was thinking Hustler, Penthouse, Jane's Fighting Ships...

T.G
11-05-2012, 01:12 PM
I was thinking Hustler, Penthouse, Jane's Fighting Ships...

What? No love for Bea Arthur?

:sad

Subvet642
11-05-2012, 01:15 PM
What? No love for Bea Arthur?

:sad

Naw, never liked him.

T.G
11-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Naw, never liked him.

More of an Estelle Getty type then.

Say no more. Say no more.

Subvet642
11-05-2012, 01:21 PM
More of an Estelle Getty type then.

Say no more. Say no more.

Wink wink, nudge nudge.

Inside_INFO
11-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Rating a cigar it is a personal opinion. I always say, cigars are like a woman the more you select then the worse they are!!!

I will trade one of my cigars for one of then...

T.G
11-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Rating a cigar it is a personal opinion. I always say, cigars are like a woman the more you select then the worse they are!!!

I will trade one of my cigars for one of then...

Of course rating a cigar is a personal opinion, no one has a problem with that. It's the fact that you reviewed the burn and taste of the cigar, not from actually smoking one, but rather solely from looking at a picture, which has some of us questioning how one possesses the magical superpowers to do that.

On another note, there is a trades forum here where you can buy, sell or trade non-cuban cigars. It should become available to you in time once people get to know you (the formula is only known to the admins and it is a combination of time and participation). It's generally frowned upon for one to post trade requests prior to the point at which one is granted access to that section of the site.

jjirons69
11-07-2012, 06:25 AM
For the looks I will guess it will dry you mouth and it will be a very hot burn filling...

Quite the opposite. I've had my share of dry and hot smokes - this was not one. Thus the book and it's cover...