PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding B&M ettiquette

CoffeeWaterBeer
10-17-2012, 12:07 PM
I've noticed in a few various shops that have a lounge area, people would go into the walk-in humi with lit sticks. Does that affect the product inside? Is this something you should avoid without permission?

I generally don't hang out in B&M's but thought I should ask to avoid a potential faux-pas.

T.G
10-17-2012, 12:20 PM
"Does that affect the product inside?"
It could, but it's unlikely unless someone is smoking an infused or flavored cigar. People at the factory smoke around the tobacco and finished cigars all the time.

"Is this something you should avoid without permission?"
Every B&M has their own policy, it's best to ask or look for a sign on the door that indicates if it's permitted or not.

The exception is flavored and infused, never walk in there with a lit one of those.
Even if it doesn't do anything, people will often freak out.

mahtofire14
10-17-2012, 12:21 PM
I don't know if that's considered "bad form" or not but I don't do it. If I'm in my local B&M I go in the humidor and pick out my sticks and then light up once I'm out in the lobby.

Remo
10-17-2012, 12:21 PM
The places I have been are all just basically humidors with people smoking inside around the sticks, doubt it harms them.

dave
10-17-2012, 12:22 PM
Been in a few places that either allow it or don't try to enforce non-smoking policies. I think that if you were to poll, you'd find the majority of the more serious BOTL - and the more curteous ones (probably the cross section largely found here in the asylum?), you'd find that we frown upon it, even when allowed.

Emjaysmash
10-17-2012, 12:28 PM
All the places I have been to adhere to a strict no smoking-in-the humi rule. Better to ask or not do it at all.

CoffeeWaterBeer
10-17-2012, 12:37 PM
I appreciate the responses. I'm content sticking with the "don't do it all
" school of thought. Cheers!

mosesbotbol
10-17-2012, 12:37 PM
I don't think it effects the cigars at all, but would follow suit of what the B&M asks.

Heck, I remember when Dunhill had a store in Boston and you could walk around the store while smoking cigars, trying on suits and shirts with a glass of scotch near at hand. What a nostaglic time and a store dearly missed by me.

Brlesq
10-17-2012, 12:46 PM
I never do it even if others are as I beleive some of the smoke does permeate and instill an odor into the products. There is a B&M in another state that I order from 3-4 times a year, and the cardboard box, as well as the tissue paper and other stuff he uses to to pad it, all smell like a dirty ashtray when I open it. He must smoke near the shipping supplies all day long. A bit of a turnoff, even for a long-term cigar smoker like me.

stearns
10-17-2012, 12:50 PM
at the shop I work at, we have a no smoking policy in the humidor with a sign on the door. I'll occasionally walk in with one lit in hand, but I don't actually puff on it until I walk out again.

Ogre
10-17-2012, 01:15 PM
The ones around here allow it. Actually, Corona Cigar Stores are humidors. All their product is in the smoking area.

mosesbotbol
10-17-2012, 01:24 PM
When I visited Portmann's a few years ago we could smoke in their basement humidor which is like heaven to the Habanos smoker. Each box is inspected before being put into their stock.

cjhalbrooks
10-17-2012, 01:29 PM
I don't do it. I wouldn't blow smoke in my hummi at home.

STEVE S
10-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Most of the B&M around here, there is no smoking in the humidor, but there is one shop that you actual pay for your cigars inside and the attendant will cut and light your cigar.

mithrilG60
10-17-2012, 02:16 PM
The places I have been are all just basically humidors with people smoking inside around the sticks, doubt it harms them.

I disagree, I can remember buying a couple boxes of Padron Family Reserve 45's from Taboo that just REEKED of old stinky ashtray. It was frankly disgusting and definitely not acceptable any purchase, let alone cigars of that calibre and price. Luckily the shrink wrap and boxes absorbed most of the stench so the cigars themselves were mostly "unscented" (as it were) but I still had to air the boxes out for weeks before I could return the cigars into them and put the boxes in the humidor. That was the last time I bought from Taboo, any company that smokes so heavily around their product that it picks up an ashtray smell doesn't care about or for their product or customers.

cmitch
10-17-2012, 04:01 PM
When in doubt, don't. Personally, I don't think it will hurt them unless everybody did it all day long every day.

bobarian
10-17-2012, 04:22 PM
I think its just common courtesy. Much like purchasing a few sticks if you plan on spending a some time using their lounge. Whether or not there are rules, I wont smoke inside an enclosed humidor. :2

DaBear
10-17-2012, 04:35 PM
We don't allow smoking in the humidor at work, but we do keep some of the newer sticks to come out on the front counter in the smoking area so they get seen. Never had a problem with how they smoke, as I typically have something off the counter at least once per shift, and the ones I take home have never smelled any different. That said, I could have just built up a tolerance for the smell of the smoke as I don't even smell the smoke thats engrained into my backpack anymore.

TJtorpedo
10-17-2012, 06:14 PM
I don't do it. I'm not even sure if my B&M has a rule against it, but I've never seen anyone else there do it either. If I'm hanging out there and for whatever reason I need to go back into the humi, I leave my lit cigar on the ashtray in the lounge.

dvickery
10-17-2012, 07:12 PM
only place in cuba i have ever been asked not to smoke...walk in partagas factory vip room...it was an accident...i didnt realise i had a lit cigar.

nope...i dont smoke in anyones walk in.

derrek

lenguamor
10-17-2012, 08:57 PM
If I had a walk-in, I wouldn't smoke in it and I wouldn't want anyone else smoking in it. But I've been in shops where the store stock is right in the smoking area, or vice-versa. I don't like the concept; more so where the store is air-conditioned, which sucks moisture out of everything.

cmitch
10-17-2012, 09:20 PM
If I had a walk-in, I wouldn't smoke in it and I wouldn't want anyone else smoking in it. But I've been in shops where the store stock is right in the smoking area, or vice-versa. I don't like the concept; more so where the store is air-conditioned, which sucks moisture out of everything.

This ^^^
I've never cared for the humidified store concept. Frankly, it doesn't work and I don't like shopping while people are watching nor trying to sit in for a smoke and conversation has to cease because a customer we didn't know came in.

iaMkcK
10-22-2012, 08:14 PM
Agree with the above. I personally don't go in humis with lit sticks, even if the worker offers. I usually just tell 'em "I'll look in a bit." Just seems rude to subject those poor defenseless sticks to the burning of their brothers.