PDA

View Full Version : Fitness advice available

The Hulk
10-17-2012, 01:18 AM
Hi all!

I know I'm new to the forum, but I wanted to put this out there for those who may need a little help. I have a BS in Exercise Physiology, been a certified personal trainer since '06, and Unit Health Promotion Coordinator for the US Coast Guard. I am currently preparing for a bodybuilding competition here at NSA Bahrain.

Enough of my credentials. I want to help anyone who is looking to make their lives healthier. I can help with workouts or nutrition advice. I look forward to helping out where I can. Just shoot me a message if interested. Thanks for your time folks.

Adriftpanda
10-17-2012, 01:49 AM
Glad to have you here, Tyler.

pektel
10-17-2012, 02:34 AM
Welcome to CA, hulk. Great group of people here. :tu

I may have to take you up on that advice. I've been meaning to get back into shape, but haven't the slightest on where to begin.
Posted via Mobile Device

hammondc
10-17-2012, 05:10 AM
Oh yeah!!

The Hulk
10-17-2012, 11:38 AM
I love to help those who are willing to take it. Pete you got a message in your in box.

Emjaysmash
10-17-2012, 12:36 PM
I'll probably be messaging you soon enough! :tu

mosesbotbol
10-17-2012, 12:39 PM
What is an optimal copper and zinc intake one should have daily as guideline? Are there any forms of either mineral that are easy on the stomach?

The Hulk
10-17-2012, 12:54 PM
What is an optimal copper and zinc intake one should have daily as guideline? Are there any forms of either mineral that are easy on the stomach?

Normally 30 to 50mg is suggested as far as zinc goes. I hear different numbers on zinc. What I usually do is take a ZMA (zinc and magnesium) supplement before bed. Usually the doseage on the label will meet your daily requirements. The zinc helps w/ your immune system as well as natural testostrone production and maganesium is a natural muscle relaxer. I have never had any digestive problem w/ taking this supplement. Twin labs, optimum, and GNC are three good companies that manufacture this and they are trust worthy products. Many minerals such as zinc absorb better when taken w/ certain minerals (ZMA for example is one).

As far as copper I will have to get back with you. I normally don't deal w/ that as a form of supplmentation. Usually get enough copper building transmission cables ;) . I will definately look into it though.

I will put this disclaimer out there. I'm not a doctor so if you have any pre existing issues or your are taking medications please speak with your doctor before taking supplements:tu.

Chainsaw13
10-17-2012, 01:04 PM
I will put this disclaimer out there. I'm not a doctor so if you have any pre existing issues or your are taking medications please speak with your doctor before taking supplements:tu.

Oh, where's the fun in that? :D

10-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Isn't copper somewhat linked to Alzheimer's?

http://www.jacn.org/content/28/3/238.full

mosesbotbol
10-17-2012, 01:28 PM
Isn't copper somewhat linked to Alzheimer's?

http://www.jacn.org/content/28/3/238.full

Here's an article on its benefits, but not much is needed: http://www.livestrong.com/article/117903-benefits-copper-supplements/

icehog3
10-17-2012, 02:03 PM
Here's an article on its benefits, but not much is needed: http://www.livestrong.com/article/117903-benefits-copper-supplements/

I only go to that website when I need blood doping advice, Moses. ;) :r

Remo
10-17-2012, 02:05 PM

Kick him when he's down Admiral.....I like it :lr

BC-Axeman
10-17-2012, 02:14 PM
Kick him when he's down Admiral.....I like it :lr
We like dirty laundry.

Serious question.
What are your opinions about HGH and supplements to boost production of it?

mosesbotbol
10-17-2012, 02:27 PM

Armstrong's results speak for themself.

Remo
10-17-2012, 02:36 PM

Ah...true :tu

The Hulk
10-17-2012, 02:58 PM
We like dirty laundry.

Serious question.
What are your opinions about HGH and supplements to boost production of it?

HGH is still very new as far as research is concerned. The US doesn't do many studies on it due to the "steroid" stigma attached to it. But European countries have been doing studies for a short period. I'll have to find the article but they are testing it on children who are lagging behind in normal growth. The short and skinny is that it is making subjects grow with no side effects. Unfortunately no long term studies have been done that would give a better answer to long term damages it may cause.

From my research, plus my wife did a very interesting dissertation on it, the stuff seems be very effective with little to no side effects. It actually, on the surface looks like a miracle drug. I haven't taken it and won't due to it being against CG policy. Plus being 27 it would be hard to convince a Doc my libido and energy is to low to write a script -(P. I need to find her paper again to try and give you some really good resources.

Now there are many supplements that you can get at your local vitamin store that aid in testosterone production. Horny goat weed, saw palmetto, zinc, and tribulous to name a few. I've taken all these and noticed good results as far as my workout energy and muscle growth. Other products like Animal stack by Universal nutrition combines all these.

Remember when taking supplements like these you need to cycle of them and take as directed on the bottle or pack. Everyone is different and all supplements react differently on certain individuals.

Also I want to put this out there. There is nothing, and I mean nothing that is anywhere close to steroids sold in GNC. Worked there during college and got asked that question all the time. Hope this helps some.

Adriftpanda
10-17-2012, 03:57 PM
One thing I wish I never got into... PWO. I feel like I can't get a good work out in without taking any PWO, oh and it has to be 3-1 dymeth. These high caffeine pwo doesn't work for me, I up the dosage to 2 scoops and it's just mehhh. PWO is like opening pandoras box.

Bax
10-17-2012, 04:59 PM
Very cool of you Tyler. Might have a question or two for you in the future :tu

Emjaysmash
10-17-2012, 05:46 PM
Wordy PM sent.

Take your time. ;)

The Hulk
10-17-2012, 10:05 PM
Wordy PM sent.

Take your time. ;)

Response sent your way :tu

The Hulk
10-17-2012, 10:12 PM
One thing I wish I never got into... PWO. I feel like I can't get a good work out in without taking any PWO, oh and it has to be 3-1 dymeth. These high caffeine pwo doesn't work for me, I up the dosage to 2 scoops and it's just mehhh. PWO is like opening pandoras box.

Yeah they can seem addicting, plus for me I'm not very caffeine sensitive. I blame the Coast Guard for my coffee addiction :D. A good one that I've taken is called Xpand by Dymatize. It's one of the few that doesn't make me itch from too much beta-alanine. I'm about to try something new though. The bodybuilding competition I planned on doing here has been moved so I have 2 months of bulking to do and could use the extra push. As hard as it is I have to cycle on/off of them so they continue to provide results.

mash
10-18-2012, 07:49 AM

So does his doping.

mosesbotbol
10-18-2012, 10:46 AM
What are your thoughts on Cinamon Capsoles? I just ordered ZMA tablets on your recommendation, but some friends were really talking up Cinamon Caposoles, 2 gr a day.

The Hulk
10-18-2012, 02:38 PM
What are your thoughts on Cinamon Capsoles? I just ordered ZMA tablets on your recommendation, but some friends were really talking up Cinamon Caposoles, 2 gr a day.

The only thing I know of is that it helps boost metabolism supposedly. Other than I don't know to much about it. From what I read it works similar to Cheyenne pepper as far as metabolism boosting goes. I've never taken it as a supplement. I keep my supplementing fairly simple.

The Hulk
10-19-2012, 06:16 AM
I guess I could post what I'm taking as of right now. Since the bodybuilding competition has been postponed I am back to a bulking phase. Only with the 5 meals a day I supplement withe following:

20g of micronized creatine (5g in the am and 15 post workout)
20 g of glutamine (10g in the am and 10 g post workout)
*both I take with 8 oz of juice
Pre workout supplement (starting N0 extreme today we will see how good it works) what I look for in these types of supplements is arginine content, beta alanine, and b vitamins. I pretty make take these for better "pump" and energy.
Protein isolate made mostly from wheat ( dairy doesn't like my stomach :su)
All natural multivitamin ( takes longer to break down than synthetic which means more efficient absorption.
Zma before bed

I take in around 1g of protein per lb I weigh.

That's about it. I keep things simple.

hammondc
11-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Tyler-

What is your stance on cardio with weight training? I am trying to build lean upper body mass with weight training 3 or 4 times a week and keeping my longer runs going 3 days a week. One day completely off. I want to keep the fat loss going on weight training days so I am trying to fit in a short run of just 2-3 miles before lifting. Is it ok to do those runs at high intensity? I do not want to compromise my weight training.

The Hulk
11-04-2012, 12:17 AM
With your goals I would definitely do cardio. Now if you were bulking it would depend on your body fat on what kind and how much cardio you would do. Now I'm not sure if you need to run for your job or not, but the best cardio ive found for pure fat burning is either an elyptical at a high incline or a treadmill set to 15 incline at a 3.5 speed. In about 30 minutes I can usually burn around 600 calories. The treadmill keeps me at a consistent pace and normally will keep my heart rate at my target heart rate. The problem with running for me is I can't keep a consistent heart rate.

What I would suggest is after weight training do 30 mins of the treadmill cardio I mentioned. Also this sounds crazy to some people, but ensure you are working out your legs. People don't realize that your body releases an enormous amount of testosterone when you work legs. This will help that upper body grow.

Tyler-

What is your stance on cardio with weight training? I am trying to build lean upper body mass with weight training 3 or 4 times a week and keeping my longer runs going 3 days a week. One day completely off. I want to keep the fat loss going on weight training days so I am trying to fit in a short run of just 2-3 miles before lifting. Is it ok to do those runs at high intensity? I do not want to compromise my weight training.

mosesbotbol
11-04-2012, 06:47 AM
Now I'm not sure if you need to run for your job or not, but the best cardio ive found for pure fat burning is either an elyptical at a high incline or a treadmill set to 15 incline at a 3.5 speed. In about 30 minutes I can usually burn around 600 calories.

That's a heck of a workout... 30 minutes at 15/3.5mph... I like to cycles of 5 minutes whith 3-4 minute mark at 15/3.5 and the rest of the time at 0/3.7.

I do these during my rest period between 4 sets weight exercises.

The Hulk
11-04-2012, 10:02 AM
That's a heck of a workout... 30 minutes at 15/3.5mph... I like to cycles of 5 minutes whith 3-4 minute mark at 15/3.5 and the rest of the time at 0/3.7.

I do these during my rest period between 4 sets weight exercises.

It is pretty rough lol but I'm currently preparing for a bodybuilding show. Once I'm a month out I will do 45 min after an hour of weights. Now it's only about 3 days a week.

Jon11
11-04-2012, 10:25 AM
I work out 5 times a week with heavy lifting and jog 2 to 3 times a week only about 1.5 miles each jog. Everytime I work back or arms really hard, about 2 hours later my biceps start to cramp pretty bad for the rest of the day. It comes in spurts and it feels like a charlie horse in my bicep. Like I said this goes on all day and I don't know how to get rid of it. I tried bananas and plenty of water which I drink lots of all the time and neither seemed to help. Any suggestions?

icehog3
11-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Are you stretching your biceps after the workout, Jon? I do a dead hang from a chin-bar for as long as I can hold on, then stretch my back and bi's bt gripping a vertical bar and pulling hard at a full extension.

Jon11
11-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Are you stretching your biceps after the workout, Jon? I do a dead hang from a chin-bar for as long as I can hold on, then stretch my back and bi's bt gripping a vertical bar and pulling hard at a full extension.

No, I am not stretching after the workout. I will try both of these stretches this week to see if they help. Thanks

Fordman4ever
11-04-2012, 08:53 PM
What are your views on "legal steroids" or pro-hormones like super-drol or other supplements like that?

hammondc
11-04-2012, 09:18 PM
With your goals I would definitely do cardio. Now if you were bulking it would depend on your body fat on what kind and how much cardio you would do. Now I'm not sure if you need to run for your job or not, but the best cardio ive found for pure fat burning is either an elyptical at a high incline or a treadmill set to 15 incline at a 3.5 speed. In about 30 minutes I can usually burn around 600 calories. The treadmill keeps me at a consistent pace and normally will keep my heart rate at my target heart rate. The problem with running for me is I can't keep a consistent heart rate.

What I would suggest is after weight training do 30 mins of the treadmill cardio I mentioned. Also this sounds crazy to some people, but ensure you are working out your legs. People don't realize that your body releases an enormous amount of testosterone when you work legs. This will help that upper body grow.

No treadmill or eliptical. I workout with dumbbells/pushups/pullups at home. I can keep a pretty steady heartrate when running as I have been a runner forever. I usually peak at 185-190 BPM. 155-160 is a steady tempo run. However, there are very few flat roads around me so the routes are fairly brutal.

I ask because i have heard both sides of the cardio before or after argument. The testosterone detail is new to me. Like I said, I am not looking to get huge, just add some very lean long muscle to look good. Think Ryan Gosling instead of Arnold Schwarzeneggar.

icehog3
11-05-2012, 01:31 AM
Like I said, I am not looking to get huge, just add some very lean long muscle to look good. Think Ryan Gosling instead of Arnold Schwarzeneggar.

99.99% of us can work out as hard and heavy as we can and would never look like Arnold, Chip. Used to love when people would tell me they didn't want to look like Arnold when I was a personal trainer. Only in one's dreams. :)

The Hulk
11-05-2012, 06:13 AM
I work out 5 times a week with heavy lifting and jog 2 to 3 times a week only about 1.5 miles each jog. Everytime I work back or arms really hard, about 2 hours later my biceps start to cramp pretty bad for the rest of the day. It comes in spurts and it feels like a charlie horse in my bicep. Like I said this goes on all day and I don't know how to get rid of it. I tried bananas and plenty of water which I drink lots of all the time and neither seemed to help. Any suggestions?

Definitely stretch. Also try drinking pedialite during/ after your workout. That should help. Are you taking creatine or an NO2 supplement?

The Hulk
11-05-2012, 06:17 AM
No treadmill or eliptical. I workout with dumbbells/pushups/pullups at home. I can keep a pretty steady heartrate when running as I have been a runner forever. I usually peak at 185-190 BPM. 155-160 is a steady tempo run. However, there are very few flat roads around me so the routes are fairly brutal.

I ask because i have heard both sides of the cardio before or after argument. The testosterone detail is new to me. Like I said, I am not looking to get huge, just add some very lean long muscle to look good. Think Ryan Gosling instead of Arnold Schwarzeneggar.

The main reason I would say to do weights before cardio is you can work the muscles harder. After cardio you are fatigued effecting the amount of weights and reps you can do. I have tried cardio both ways and after has always been best for me.

The Hulk
11-05-2012, 06:35 AM
What are your views on "legal steroids" or pro-hormones like super-drol or other supplements like that?

I personally have never taken it. But the company has been around for a while and usually in the supplement world that means good things. I have taken legal pro hormones before and they worked for me. The only thing is with oral pro hormones is they are bad on your liver. If you decide to take them cycle off them every other month and take milk thistle half way through the first part of the cycle.

mosesbotbol
11-05-2012, 06:50 AM
No, I am not stretching after the workout. I will try both of these stretches this week to see if they help. Thanks

That and make sure you are drinking enough water and have banana after the workout at some point.

Jon11
11-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Definitely stretch. Also try drinking pedialite during/ after your workout. That should help. Are you taking creatine or an NO2 supplement?

No. I drink a serving of 1MR (pre-workout drink) and drink a protein shake after. Is there anything else you would recommend? (I also take daily vitamins...source of life gold).

The Hulk
11-06-2012, 05:51 AM
No. I drink a serving of 1MR (pre-workout drink) and drink a protein shake after. Is there anything else you would recommend? (I also take daily vitamins...source of life gold).

1mr has arginine, caffeine and creatine. All three will make you feel cramped if you are not drinking enough water. I take similar supplements and usually take in 1 gallon of water a day. Really the only thing that might help is: high water consumption, pedialite, and stretching. Those seem to be your three best bets.

mosesbotbol
11-06-2012, 07:13 AM
Really the only thing that might help is: high water consumption, pedialite, and stretching. Those seem to be your three best bets.

At home, I drink water out of a silver glass/chalice. The silver purifies the water and supposed to release electrolytes. Also makes the water taste colder.

In the old world, people would soak a pither of water with silverware and drink the water a hangover remedy. Obviously having a silver cup is just easier...

http://www.purestcolloids.com/history-silver.php

The Hulk
11-09-2012, 02:24 AM
That's a good read. Never heard of that before. The holistic style of remedies I'm very interested in. In my opinion they are not used as much as they should.

The Hulk
12-16-2012, 11:49 PM
All,

Sorry I haven't got to send out diets/workouts yet. My work load has drastically increased. Hopefully within the next two weeks I can shoot out that info to those who have requested it. I really do apologize for the delay.

Respectfully,
Tyler