PDA

View Full Version : F-18 crashed in residential area in San Diego

mrreindeer
12-08-2008, 01:27 PM
F-18 reported to have crashed in residential area in San Diego area -- KFMB-TV

The pilot was reportedly able to eject prior to the crash. MSNBC footage showed at least one home on fire.

I hope everybody's okay.

LasciviousXXX
12-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Holy hell, I was just there yesterday. Hope all our S.H.I.T. brothers are ok

ucla695
12-08-2008, 01:36 PM
I hope so too.

MadAl
12-08-2008, 02:01 PM
possibly more houses on fire, pilot said to be in mild condition.

galaga
12-08-2008, 02:52 PM
We are/should be. It's about 8-10 miles from us. No reports of anyone hurt yet, looks like two houses were torched. It was only about 2 miles from a High School.

LasciviousXXX
12-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the update Rick, glad you guys are safe :tu

bigloo
12-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Never good when this happens. 2 year back during the Oregon airshow, a vintage fighter went down and took out two houses 413 yards from my house (yardage according to google maps). I heard it crash but did not in 100 years think what had happeneded did, I thought one of my doors upstairs had slammed shut. Only the pilot died then, but it is dam scary when these things come down.

Good to hear all are safe.

Cigary
12-08-2008, 05:11 PM
We read this not long ago and saw it on TV,,,our condo is only one mile from there. I use to go over to Miramar just to watch these jets take off and land as it is the coolest thing to watch. I would take my motorcycle over there with a couple of cigars and watch these amazing jets come and go. It is with a lot of sorrow to see this happen. My heart goes out to the people whose houses were hit,,,,I know that area very well.

Needless to say we are in Atlanta now but are going back to San Diego next month.

theycallmedan'lboone
12-09-2008, 07:52 AM
yeah thats pretty crappy. The pilot will be kicking himself for years. It's pretty sad.

mrreindeer
12-09-2008, 08:41 AM
update.....and yes, I'm sure that pilot will be in certain trouble...with the ocean so close, I wonder why he wouldn't ditch the plane over it to save the people & homes (that is, if the pilot had any control at all)....

SAN DIEGO – A military fighter jet preparing to land at a Marine base crashed in a densely populated San Diego neighborhood Monday, killing two people on the ground and destroying three houses.

The pilot of the F/A-18D Hornet jet ejected safely, according to a statement from Marine Corps Air Station Miramar.

Mayor Jerry Sanders said two people on the ground were killed. Fire officials said the deaths were at a home where two children, a mother and a grandmother were believed to be inside. Officials did not immediately know who died.

Three homes were destroyed, Fire Department spokesman Maurice Luque said. Firefighters were hosing down a pile of rubble 3 1/2 hours after the crash with smoke still rising from it.

About 20 homes were evacuated, and it was unclear when residents would be allowed to return, Sanders said.

DPD6030
12-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Saw this on the local news this morning. Our news said 3 dead other injured and houses on fire. Pilot ejected and got hung up in some trees and is now at the military hospital. Thoughts and prayers to those who were impacted by this.

pnoon
12-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Saw this on the local news this morning. Our news said 3 dead other injured and houses on fire. Pilot ejected and got hung up in some trees and is now at the military hospital. Thoughts and prayers to those who were impacted by this.

You are correct.

SmokeyNL
12-09-2008, 09:43 AM
http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/326511/33ca7dfe/breaking_news_f_18_op_woonwijk.html

saw it on the above website this morning, thoughts and prayers to those involved

GoatLocker
12-09-2008, 10:23 AM
update.....and yes, I'm sure that pilot will be in certain trouble...with the ocean so close, I wonder why he wouldn't ditch the plane over it to save the people & homes (that is, if the pilot had any control at all)....

Prayers for the families and the pilot. Gonna be a tough time for all of them. Also for others in the decision making process that led to this.

The pilot spoke to a civilian (actually a retired sailor) on the ground and said he lost an engine right after takeoff (about 100 miles off the coast) and was diverted to MCAS Miramar. The second engine failed very close to the crash site. He said he tried to steer to an open field, but couldn't control the aircraft.

mrreindeer
12-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Thank you for that GL. I figured it had to have been something like that.

ucla695
12-09-2008, 11:50 AM
Well, as bad as it was, it still could have been worse.

Whee
12-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Having grown up around these type of guys, they will do as much as they possibly can to avoid people. My Dad lost a buddy at Grissom who stayed with his A-10 about two seconds too long to miss one house.

Can;t possibly understand, unless you've been there yourself.

Cigary
12-09-2008, 04:08 PM
My gut reaction to the news was that the pilot probably had intense aircraft problems and tried to stay with it until there was a point of no return. We know people in the program who are amazing pilots,,,these guys go thru more training in a week than you can imagine and while human error is always something we think about the liklihood of engine or aircraft problems is more likely. The whole thing puts a black eye on the pilot and the program when it might not have been his fault. We need to wait for a full investigation before we can make an informed decision. Hopes and prayers go to all that are involved in this tragedy.

Prayers for the families and the pilot. Gonna be a tough time for all of them. Also for others in the decision making process that led to this.

The pilot spoke to a civilian (actually a retired sailor) on the ground and said he lost an engine right after takeoff (about 100 miles off the coast) and was diverted to MCAS Miramar. The second engine failed very close to the crash site. He said he tried to steer to an open field, but couldn't control the aircraft.

Rock Star
12-10-2008, 07:49 AM
Hope all is okay..Happened here in Va Beach about 10 yrs or so ago..I watched the whole thing go down..Even witnessed the ejection..Never will forget that image of a plane crashing to the ground..

zonedar
12-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Saw some footage of a man who's whole family was killed in the crash. He was devastated. My thoughts are with him.

Ace$nyper
12-10-2008, 01:29 PM
Saw some footage of a man who's whole family was killed in the crash. He was devastated. My thoughts are with him.
Yea it was so tragic.

I couldn't understand the strength he had to call the pilot a hero so soon after.
I fully understand what he means but after that kind of loss to think that clearly and be so in touch with the world.

He's a strong man, I hope his family rests peacefully.

We had a f14 go down few years ago locally. Always sad.

csbrewfisher
12-10-2008, 01:56 PM
When I lived in Sandy Ego for 21 years this sort of thing happened a couple times. The first was when I was in the Navy, and lived in the North Park neighborhood. A commercial airliner crashed 3 blocks from my house.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7b/W780925-1.jpg

The second involved a Miramar-stationed A-4 Skyhawk that crashed in the industrial park where I was working, just three blocks away (Sorrento Valley).

The community of Sandy Ego has had a lot of tragedy to deal with in the last couple of years...God bless them.