PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion - Most overhyped cigar line?

omowasu
10-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Its slow on the boards today, but there are a lot of viewers, so lets have some fun. In your opinion, what is the most overhyped cigar line and why? No need to be offended if someones favorite stick shows up here, we all have different tastes! Ill get it started:

Most overhyped cigar: NUB
Why: Paying full price for half of a stick, didnt live up to claims in marketing, average cigar, and marketing materials in B&Ms were ridiculous (full size cardboard NUB cutouts with tiny brochures attached).

What is your take?

pnoon
10-13-2012, 03:20 PM
IMO, most NC boutique brands are over-hyped.
Tat, Viaje, Nub. The list is endless. At least Tats are decent cigars. Nubs are clown cigars.
To say nothing of the stoopid gimmicky names of some of these new cigars. My Uzi Weighs A Ton? One Shot One Kill? Gimme a friggin break.

Dunkel
10-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Drew Estate products in my opinion are all show and no go.

pektel
10-13-2012, 03:34 PM
Cohiba.

Viaje limited releases may be over hyped. but I'd be lying if i said the skull n bones mystery release isn't one of the best Damn non-Cuban cigars I've ever smoked.

I'll also add any of the super big ring gauge cigars. i gag a little every time i hear a cigar referred to as a behemoth.
Posted via Mobile Device

PearlS4
10-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Isn't there some 700 dollar Gurkha going around that reviews very poorly?

lenguamor
10-13-2012, 03:58 PM
For me, it's Ilusione. I feel like I have given them a fair shot, but I've never had one that I liked, or even finished.

And Nub, obviously.

bobarian
10-13-2012, 03:58 PM
Tat, Viaje, Nub. The list is endless. At least Tats are decent cigars. Nubs are clown cigars.
To say nothing of the stoopid gimmicky names of some of these new cigars. My Uzi Weighs A Ton? One Shot One Kill? Gimme a friggin break.

Now you're giving someone an idea! :banger

oooo35980
10-13-2012, 04:16 PM
My local b&m has a thing for Gurkha and RP, I think both of those brands could go away and the world wouldn't be any worse off. The most hyped cigar I've had in a long time is that awful Romeo thing that for some reason seems to be flying off the shelves.

Sauer Grapes
10-13-2012, 04:32 PM

Tell us how you really feel. :r

sevans105
10-13-2012, 05:02 PM
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac146/sevans105/94f12112a6f60327ef198a4a55092ca8.jpg

These guys. One trick pony. And not a very good trick. Huge marketing budget for one cigar though.

mahtofire14
10-13-2012, 05:33 PM
It would be Cohiba for me. Pricey and the flavor and burn of the cigar doesn't warrant paying that much for them.

cmitch
10-13-2012, 05:54 PM
My local b&m has a thing for Gurkha and RP, I think both of those brands could go away and the world wouldn't be any worse off. The most hyped cigar I've had in a long time is that awful Romeo thing that for some reason seems to be flying off the shelves.

You took the words clean out of my brain!:tu

Ogre
10-13-2012, 06:07 PM
Gurkha and RP

BHalbrooks
10-13-2012, 06:21 PM
These guys. One trick pony. And not a very good trick. Huge marketing budget for one cigar though.
...No, just no.

My most opinion on the most over rated would be any NC Cohiba. They're good, but not nearly worth the price.

Also Ghurkas are obviously at the top of the list as well.

Fordman4ever
10-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Ghurkas. fo sho

RobR1205
10-13-2012, 06:31 PM

His Majesty's Reserve! Not only is it a Gurkha, but it's apparently infused with an entire bottle of St. Louis XIII Cognac....:pu

Here's the link if you wanna by a box...only $15000!

http://www.cigar.com/cigars/viewcigar.asp?brand=456 <--no affiliation

But in all seriousness, I personally feel that Gurkha, 5 Vegas, and Acid are way overrated, but don't deliver. Then again, these companies gotta be doing something right since they sell like crazy.

dvickery
10-13-2012, 06:34 PM
behikes or bhk's or whatever...they may be a good cigar or they may be a bad cigar...i dont know never smoked one...but certainly the most (over)hyped cuban cigars in decades.

derrek

ninjavanish
10-13-2012, 06:58 PM
"Let's all pick a cigar we don't like and trash talk it a little."

Seems like an awfully negative thread... I for one see several cigars listed above that I enjoy.

I don't have any problem with a company using creative marketing to increase sales. Everyone has different tastes, overhyped to you may be just what someone else enjoys.

Remember that not so long ago we were in the boom and brands and ad strategies were much more verbose or hyped-up than now... I mean, seriously, go back and look at some of the old cigar ads from the 90s, many of them would have you believe by simply smoking a cigar, you could just go ahead and climb out of your yacht and onto your private jet.

DaBear
10-13-2012, 07:32 PM
CC: Cohiba, wasn't impressed with the Siglo (IV or V, cant remember) I tried, nowhere near the hype they get

NC: Between regular Opus(as I haven't had the pleasure of trying any of the rarer stuff) and, because while they can be great with proper age, I see no point in paying $15+ on a cigar I'm gonna have to sit on at least 3 years before it gets decent(I do smoke them fresh out of losing patience and to remind myself why they need the time); and Liga Privadas, while I love the No. 9s, the T52s are horrid, as are the FFPs(which I picked up one more to revisit, lets hope 3rd time is the charm), not to mention the sheer lack of availability of them. I understand if you want to keep the production small, but don't go giving every one and their mother an account and making them damn near impossible to be found.

maninblack
10-13-2012, 07:42 PM
Any Cuban stick, IMHO. Boring.

INT
10-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Drew Estate products in my opinion are all show and no go.

Interdasting. Even the ligas and undercrowns?

kelmac07
10-13-2012, 09:05 PM

This for me as well. Guess it all goes back to "smoke what you like, like what you smoke".

Robulous78
10-13-2012, 11:21 PM
http://i894.photobucket.com/albums/ac146/sevans105/94f12112a6f60327ef198a4a55092ca8.jpg

Looks like it would taste about as good as my dogs turd... Glad I never saw these in stores...

Robulous78
10-13-2012, 11:23 PM
Personally, I have to say Gurkha, Yes there are some decent lines like the Spec Ops, but they have so many lines and so much market saturation I am weary of trying any of their sticks I haven't read closely on for fear of spending my money on a stick with little to no taste...

ChicagoWhiteSox
10-13-2012, 11:25 PM
Any NC

Ismith75
10-13-2012, 11:33 PM
Trinidad.

icehog3
10-13-2012, 11:54 PM

This for me as well.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/blahblah.gif :lr

A good cigar can be overhyped. Like ninja said, lots of cigars I have enjoyed taking a beating, but a cigar can be good, yet still be over-hyped.

Recently for me it has been the Tat mini-monsters. Much ado about nothing.

area51
10-14-2012, 01:52 AM
Gurkha, Nub and Rocky.

JohnRogers
10-14-2012, 03:18 AM
Agreed they seem to be all hype. I probably had ten in the last three years and not got one yet. I'm not saying a good Cuban doesn't exist but I'm having doubts.

Dunkel
10-14-2012, 05:29 AM
Interdasting. Even the ligas and undercrowns?

Liga #9 are OK, T-52 sucked, and Undercrown was the best of the 3 but still not worth the price. When I can get a box of 601 Blues for $70 give or take and DPG JJ Maduros Beli's for $114, both of which I like better than the Undercrown no way I'd pay that much for a box of Undercrowns.

gbum
10-14-2012, 06:07 AM
When I can get a box of 601 Blues for $70 give or take

:hm

care to share with me the source?:salute::salute::salute:

bighairlogo
10-14-2012, 06:27 AM

you can go on famous's cigar monster/name your price right now and get a box for 65 shipped

maninblack
10-14-2012, 06:57 AM
http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/blahblah.gif :lr

A good cigar can be overhyped. Like ninja said, lots of cigars I have enjoyed taking a beating, but a cigar can be good, yet still be over-hyped.

Recently for me it has been the Tat mini-monsters. Much ado about nothing.

I agree Tom about the mini monsters. Just aren't doing anything for me. Very boring smokes.

68TriShield
10-14-2012, 07:10 AM

Yes,it's insulting to me.But I guess somebody buys them.
Has anyone here ever had or tasted one?

<crickets>

Dunkel
10-14-2012, 07:42 AM

you can go on famous's cigar monster/name your price right now and get a box for 65 shipped

Yep, that and CI/Cigar.com has them on sale often for $35-37.50 a 10 pack.

INT
10-14-2012, 08:31 AM
Liga #9 are OK, T-52 sucked, and Undercrown was the best of the 3 but still not worth the price. When I can get a box of 601 Blues for $70 give or take and DPG JJ Maduros Beli's for $114, both of which I like better than the Undercrown no way I'd pay that much for a box of Undercrowns.

Understood. Thanks.

gbum
10-14-2012, 08:35 AM
thank you doug and taylor!

so sorry for hijacking this thread...

kelmac07
10-14-2012, 08:41 AM

<crickets>

Gurkha His Majestys' Reserve...EricF brought one to Doms herf last year and we did a PPP with it. I actually took two puffs and would have been mad as hell if I had bought that stick. Total garbage!! :2

icehog3
10-14-2012, 10:46 AM
Agreed they seem to be all hype. I probably had ten in the last three years and not got one yet. I'm not saying a good Cuban doesn't exist but I'm having doubts.

10 whole Cubans? Oh, yeah, write them suckers off!

:noon ;s

N2 GOLD
10-14-2012, 11:05 AM
This for me as well. Guess it all goes back to "smoke what you like, like what you smoke".

AGREE, thank you Mac... To each his own... :ss

Dunkel
10-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Don't y'all dare say anything bad about CC's now. The muckety mucks will get out their torches and pitchforks! :tg

MajorCaptSilly
10-14-2012, 01:06 PM
Any of the grape flavored cigars are overhyped. It's a very artificial grape taste.

MCS

icehog3
10-14-2012, 01:25 PM
Don't y'all dare say anything bad about CC's now. The muckety mucks will get out their torches and pitchforks! :tg

No, it seems that the only cigars "in general" (i.e, not a specific brand) that are getting badmouthed are Cubans. :tg :tg

Sincerely,

An Apparent "Muckety Muck".

So much for "smoke what you like, like what you smoke", huh? :rolleyes:

bobarian
10-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Because one might prefer to smoke a particular over another does not necessarily mean that cigars they dont like are "over-hyped" Many "serious" cigar smokers do not smoke Macanudo's but they are still among the best selling cigars in the industry. Rocky Patel has built an empire bringing his cigars to the masses. Today it is chic to bash the boutique makers such as Jon Drew, Pete Johnson and Dion Gioloto. All have their haters and followers. Same with some of the mid level producers like AJ Fernandez, Dr. Cuenca and many others. As very there are very few outlets for advertising all the "hype" comes from other cigar smokers. As long as they are enjoying what they smoke what's the big deal? :2

JohnRogers
10-14-2012, 07:30 PM

Well I did say "I'm not saying a good Cuban doesn't exist but I'm having doubts".

It is harder to get a Cuban than scoring a dime bag in the USA. So I can only go buy what I've experienced but with the all hype I would have thought I'd have a decent one by now. I'll keep trying to sample when I can.

Zanaspus
10-14-2012, 07:35 PM
First, there is no overhyped Cuban apart from perhaps Cohibas. Remember, glowing reviews and hype are two different things.

Which leads me to Viajes and Illusiones. Viajes would be great if the blenders would learn that too much ligero is a bad thing. Illusiones just don't do it for me, but they're not as hyped as most.

pektel
10-14-2012, 07:53 PM

Awesome. More for me. :)

But please, keep me updated on the latest tat release. I LOVE chasing those pj le's... ;)

Disclaimer: I've been drinking.

maninblack
10-14-2012, 07:55 PM
Hey Peter,
The new Tat Mummy is out. Tom is looking for a single.

pektel
10-14-2012, 08:18 PM
Shoulda got the saints and sinners VIP membership like I did. I have 6 dress boxes in the humi. They're my yardgars. I've found they light best with a $100 bill.

Suppose I could sell one of em.

gbum
10-14-2012, 08:20 PM
guys,
let get back to the real topic here...(sorry for the offtopic before)

Your opinion - Most overhyped cigar line?

the main thing is your opinion..doesn't matter right or wrong...
and we don't need to bombardie or educate other people to follow our perception or opinion...

if a person perception/opinion about cuban cigar is not same as your perception... so be it... everybody is free to express what they feel and think...

the way i saw it.. there is no problem about "Let's all pick a cigar we don't like and trash talk it a little."...because it your own opinion...

the problem is when somebody start to defend their favorite cigar or not following their taste...

this is free country....
free to think the way we want and free to express it the way we like it...
smoke what your like,like what your smoke...

so i suppose there is no problem when somebody expressing their thought... suits you or not... doesn't matter...

because its our own opinion....rite?

xxxxxxx

so back to the topic,
yup i do think that nub cigar is over hyped even i do like nub cameroon... same goes to room 101 regular line... the way they market it its like a superstar cigar... but i think camacho corojo is wayyy better for my palate...

Blak Smyth
10-15-2012, 05:25 AM

<crickets>

Shoulda got the saints and sinners VIP membership like I did. I have 6 dress boxes in the humi. They're my yardgars. I've found they light best with a $100 bill.

Suppose I could sell one of em.

I am so thankful S&S was sold out of subscriptions back when I tried to join, apparently membership is more limited than their cigars!

Gurkha is the master brand of over hype.
When I was chasing the NC stuff I always came up dissapointed with Viaje.
I never realised how much Pete Johnson tries to mimic CC branding until I got into CCs. Kind of offensive IMHO but he makes a few decent cigars.
Cohiba RedDots are over hyped to, riding the coat tales of the CC name.

Subvet642
10-15-2012, 06:38 AM

I'm with you on much of this, but I do like Viaje and Tat very much. I also have an aversion to sticks with over-the-top, uber-macho names and ridiculous RGs. Nubs, RPs and the DPGs I've tried I can do without.

VirtualSmitty
10-15-2012, 06:40 AM
Room 101 cigars. Although i'm not sure they've generated much hype.

Blak Smyth
10-15-2012, 06:44 AM
On post #51 I failed to mention I was at the PPP at Dom's that was mentioned before.
The Gurkha His Majesty's Reserve was truly a huge dissapointment.

Brlesq
10-15-2012, 07:19 AM
Tat Little Monsters. So now we should run out and buy a box of cigars so we can get a trading card?? Very gimmicky. :hn

hammondc
10-15-2012, 07:33 AM
Tatuaje. Good stick for $5. Not good for $15. I enjoy the Miamis and Noellas, I just think there are far better sticks for the same scratch. I suppose for me, it is not really overhyped, but more like 'overpriced'.

mosesbotbol
10-15-2012, 08:46 AM
Cohiba Behike line is over-hyped and over-priced IMO. I would not say the same about Cohiba GR's though.

ChicagoWhiteSox
10-15-2012, 09:46 AM
Cohiba Behike line is over-hyped and over-priced IMO. I would not say the same about Cohiba GR's though.

Behikes are interesting cigars for sure. Overpriced for what they are now? Yeah I think so. They are still young cigars so that's another thing to think about. They have potential to be worth the investment though. I'd still smoke a BHK over any NC. So does that still make all NCs overhyped and overrated?:r:r Why yes it does:gary

Dunkel
10-15-2012, 09:55 AM
Any NC

No, it seems that the only cigars "in general" (i.e, not a specific brand) that are getting badmouthed are Cubans.
So much for "smoke what you like, like what you smoke", huh? :rolleyes:

I'd still smoke a BHK over any NC. So does that still make all NCs overhyped and overrated?:r:r Why yes it does:gary

You were saying Tom? :rolleyes:

ChicagoWhiteSox
10-15-2012, 10:02 AM

You were saying Tom?:rolleyes::D

Dunkel
10-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Well that was addressed. Tom turned a blind eye to your comment. LOL Just making it fun.

Remo
10-15-2012, 10:06 AM
If we are going strictly by "Most Hyped" it is Tatuaje, I enjoy Tats, some more than others....but they are the "Most Hyped" IMO

Oops...Overly-Hyped

ChicagoWhiteSox
10-15-2012, 10:09 AM
Well that was addressed. Tom turned a blind eye to your comment. LOL Just making it fun.

Yeah that's what my comment was for:tu The first posts were directed at all "cubans", so I played along.

Blak Smyth
10-15-2012, 10:12 AM
If we are going strictly by "Most Hyped" it is Tatuaje, I enjoy Tats, some more than others....but they are the "Most Hyped" IMO

This is most "over-hyped" not most "hyped".

With Gurkha's signs, banners, boxes, advertising, and MSRPs followed by severe dissapointment in the flavor department, I don't think anybody can hold a candle in the over hype department. :2

Many regular non-forum cigar smokers have never heard of Tatuaje, Viaje or other smaller boutigue makers.

mosesbotbol
10-15-2012, 10:12 AM
Behikes are interesting cigars for sure. Overpriced for what they are now? Yeah I think so. They are still young cigars so that's another thing to think about. They have potential to be worth the investment though. I'd still smoke a BHK over any NC. So does that still make all NCs overhyped and overrated?:r:r Why yes it does:gary

Spend it all on the Gran Reservas if ya got deep pockets is my advice!

jjirons69
10-15-2012, 11:09 AM
With Gurkha's signs, banners, boxes, advertising, and MSRPs followed by severe dissapointment in the flavor department, I don't think anybody can hold a candle in the over hype department. :2

:tpd: Well said.

shilala
10-15-2012, 11:26 AM
I consider Tats to be overhyped because I flat out don't care for the cigars. It's my own particular bias, and I can certainly understand others enjoying them.
Because of my feelings about how they taste, it makes me roll my eyes at all the gimmicks, but on the other hand I think Pete's marketing adds interest and creates buzz, giving us something to talk about. His marketing makes guys excited that enjoy them, and makes them enjoy the hobby. That's great.
Regardless, I have yet to smoke one of his cigars that didn't suck out loud, or was very mediocre and largely overpriced.

So far as cc's go, I'd have to parrot "Cohiba". I've had some stellar Cohibas, but I've had a lot more less-than-stellar Cohibas. I've had Cohiba maduros that stand as the best cigars I ever smoked. The price is crazy, but I've never really felt I was robbed because I've gotten a good return on what I paid, plus cc's can be hit and miss across the board.

If I compare the hype doled out by Tats to the hype surrounding Cohibas, Tats win the overhype award by a HUGE margin, and deservedly so.

All that stuff aside, smoke what you like. I do. That's what makes me happy, and if Tats make you guys happy, there sure can't be anything wrong with that. :tu

Stephen
10-15-2012, 11:28 AM
This is most "over-hyped" not most "hyped".
Could've fooled me. I thought it was a, "name a cigar brand/line you don't like" thread...:2

icehog3
10-15-2012, 11:34 AM

No blind eye, just saw it now. And Nate is right. I hate Cubans, they're all overhyped. :) :wo

omowasu
10-15-2012, 06:34 PM
A couple more came to mind -
Camacho Pre Embargo - an average cigar that is marketed strictly based on having some (unknown, very small quantity if any) pre-embargo Havana tobacco contained therein. I don't get it - its not like there are bales of old tobacco just laying around for the taking, and if there were, how could they still be usable or not infested with beetles? And the marketing hype has followed despite the source of the "pre-embargo Cuban tobacco" and/or quantity remaining undisclosed.

Lars Tetens - this one is self explanatory. My understanding is that he is now an HVAC system "genius" in addition to his cigar and sausage pursuits. What gets my goat is that Lars Tetens had a few good cigars (the Grass line) back in the late 90s but the entire line went South soon after. I don't know anyone that carries them anymore, but they are still out there.

Yeah that's what my comment was for:tu The first posts were directed at all "cubans", so I played along.

I cant say Ive ever seen an over-hyped Cuban save the Behike. That one is expensive, all bling, and while very good it didn't cut it for me at that price point (Ive only had one). The whole cigar world was abuzz for a year over the BHK line. I think the product was somewhat of a letdown given the amount of hype generated.

SvilleKid
10-15-2012, 08:41 PM
Davidoff and FFOX

Just because they have ad campaigns designed to get people to buy their product, and we can't all like everything out there, so I'll knock on them!!

44stampede
10-15-2012, 10:11 PM
I see overhyped as something that doesn't deliver on what the brand is directly or indirectly trying to advertise (through price or the marketing campaign). In this case I can't agree with the Cohiba CC beef here (the NC one for sure). I have had one badly constructed one in all I have tried and that may have been storage issues. Some are not AS good as others but they are a quality cigar.

I came into this forum almost a complete noobie. I had some cubans through the years (being Canadian) but no NC so I was really open to them and set on a mission to try a wide variety. Man, I spent a ton on some over-priced cigars. I threw away half or more of these cigars many more times than I finished one. Hindsight shows me that I should have spent that on CC but at least I have the direct experience of a lot of NC.

Of course this is only an opinion and I am not saying anyone would be wrong by having the complete opposite experience of mine.

Which ones are the most IMO?
Most LP. I've enjoyed the one FFP and a few of the many Undercrowns I've had. Not had a T52 or 9 that I like. A rat is in the humi that I have not tried.
Fuente Anejos
My Fathers
Gurkhas

SvilleKid
10-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Hey guys..... I have a great idea here!!!!

Everyone that has any of their indicated over-hyped cigars in their humidors.....

Package them bad boys up, send them to one of the troop coordinators!!! That gets the temptation of trying them again away from you, and puts some cigars in the hands of needful servicemen!!!

Just a thought!

icehog3
10-16-2012, 12:10 AM
Lars Tetens - this one is self explanatory. My understanding is that he is now an HVAC system "genius" in addition to his cigar and sausage pursuits. What gets my goat is that Lars Tetens had a few good cigars (the Grass line) back in the late 90s but the entire line went South soon after. I don't know anyone that carries them anymore, but they are still out there.

Cigar King in Skokie is the last place I remember seeing them around here, Scott.

mosesbotbol
10-16-2012, 07:08 AM
I cant say Ive ever seen an over-hyped Cuban save the Behike. That one is expensive, all bling, and while very good it didn't cut it for me at that price point (Ive only had one). The whole cigar world was abuzz for a year over the BHK line. I think the product was somewhat of a letdown given the amount of hype generated.

I wonder how many of the cigar world (ie: cigar magazine journalists) actually had to pay out of their own hard earned money for them? Sure, someone gives me a handful of BHK's and I'll say they were tasty, which they are.

Price does matter when it comes to a final verdict.

jimdandy
10-16-2012, 09:53 AM

I don't think you guys are smoking the right ones :sh

Starscream
10-16-2012, 10:08 AM
NC Cohibas, Tat Boris/Frank/Drac/etc., and Gurkhas. The American hype over Cuban cigars overall.

Not that any of these are bad lines/countries (well maybe Gurkha and NC Cohibas).

pektel
10-16-2012, 10:24 AM
Tat Boris/Frank/Drac/etc.,

I was JUST coming back into this thread to post this. Tat Monster series (though I believe the Boris was the Actor series or something like that). I was just on another forum where someone paid a premium for a dress box of Mummy's, and the seller had only received shipping info so far. Didn't even have the box in hand yet and someone was shelling out almost $300 to reserve the box once it arrived.

jluck
10-16-2012, 11:00 AM
http://eugene.craigslist.org/for/3338535005.html
:lr:lr

N2 GOLD
10-16-2012, 11:37 AM
I think word of mouth & then you throw in supply & demand those three things have everything to do with it. Now, lets throw in the the word "LIMITED" the manufacturer & their marketing team HYPING it up. Now here they come with all their marketing ploys to make the consumer think "IT's NOW or NEVER" because they are going FAST. So everyone runs out gets what they can get their hands on. The come the shops/B&M's that bump up the price on these & tell us "WHAT YOU SEE IS ALL THAT LEFT"...

pektel
10-16-2012, 11:56 AM

:eek: I wonder if they smoke like a $27 cigar should...

jkim05
10-16-2012, 12:07 PM

:noon ;s

More for me. ;)

kickerb
10-16-2012, 12:14 PM
OSOK, OPUS, Viaje and MUWAT.

SvilleKid
10-16-2012, 03:07 PM

The above "ad" will serve to illustrate my comments below:

Just who is it that is over-hyping cigars like the Tat Mummy? Is it the manufacturer? (that Would be over-hype - or maybe just damn good use of advertising dollars). Or, is this simply the market excitement by the end buyers (hopeful buyers?) that is generating the hype and prices? If it's market reaction, not manufacturer generated, is this the fault of the cigar and/or manufacturer? And should the cigar and the manufacturer be dragged through the proverbial mud because the market (not the manufacturer) has built up expectations that are not "lived-up-to" in the minds of the individuals that do not like them, or that do not like Tats in general?????? This is the Issue I have with this thread. Is this really about Over-hype, or is this about "picking a cigar you hate/dislike/don't really care for, and bashing it"? If the hype is market generated by the purchasers/smokers that really like Tats (or Gurkhas, or NC Cohibas, or Beehives...etc), then can it be said that all this thread is really about is basically bashing other smokers for their choices, NOT bashing the manufacturer for over-billing the cigar. If this thread is about the manufacturer over-hyping the cigars, then care should be taken that the over-hype being slammed is actually from the manufacturer, and not that which is generated by the buying public!

The AF Opus X and Anejo's are other prime examples. These sell out fast, and at premium prices because there is a perceived "greatness about these in the marketplace. Hell, Fuentes doesn't even really need to advertise them, do they???? This is MARKET generated. And if it is generated by the people that ARE willing to pay the price, and that DO enjoy them, is it hype, or just their honest opinion? And a honest opinion IS NOT HYPE! While the FFOX may be rabidly sought and enjoyed by many here, I'm sure there are many that read this thread that would place the FFOX and the Anejos in the over-hyped category.

I know it's probably just me and my thought process, but I just feel that this is a thread that serves no purpose except for allowing for backdoor bashing of smokers that enjoy cigars that others do not! And while I'm sure the bashing is not meant to be personal by the posters, it is still out there hitting on everyone that actually like Gurkhas.... Or Tats..... Or Beehives...... Or Davidoffs..... Or FFOX..... Or any of the other cigars mentioned.

Just an opposing "Opinion" on the whole of the thread!

lenguamor
10-16-2012, 03:23 PM
For me, "overhyped" has to do with lots of people singing something's praises, and when you try it, it disappoints. Not so much with advertising, since that's part of the deal; although the marketing on some cigars ranges from annoying to disgusting.

And only each of us can judge for ourselves the level of "hype" we perceive, against the effective outcome when we sample the product.

As for me, I didn't bash anything nor anyone. I mentioned Ilusione because it is a brand about which I had heard only praise, yet the times I have tried it, it has sorely disappointed. That's the long and the short of it.

If a thread asks for personal opinions and I have something to say, I'm going to say it as my opinion.

mithrilG60
10-16-2012, 03:28 PM
For me, "overhyped" has to do with lots of people singing something's praises, and when you try it, it disappoints. Not so much with advertising, since that's part of the deal

Agreed, which is why I'd have to say Opus. They're just barely above a yardgar/dog rocket IMHO yet everyone seems to think they're the Second Coming and they're priced to match that rep. Don't get it :sh

Mbpardue
10-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Davidoff. Easily. It's decent at best, costs an arm and a leg, and every rich tool who pretends to know cigars recommends them.

pnoon
10-16-2012, 03:44 PM
Davidoff. Easily. It's decent at best, costs an arm and a leg, and every rich tool who pretends to know cigars recommends them.

Nice first post. :rolleyes:

sevans105
10-16-2012, 04:35 PM
For me, there are two sets of hype. One from the manufacturer...advertising, MASSIVE releases, tons of events. And two, from the reviewers/smokers/blogosphere. Sometimes those two overlap with paid reviews and blogs.

In the first category, Drew Estate and Gurkha win hands down.

In the second, Opus and Davidoff. I WANT to like these. At the price points, I try REALLY hard to like these. But in the end, I've had Gurkha's better than Opus. These brands have the cache...they are the ones you smoke if you want to impress someone else. For me, they really aren't worth the money.

The Cubans don't have any advertising here in the US but the forums and blogospheres are full of their reviews and praises. For me, I really like the Cohiba VI, but I know not everyone does. I don't like it $30 a stick worth though. Actually, I can't think of ANY cigars that I'd pay that much for. But that's me. And my opinion.

poriggity
10-16-2012, 04:35 PM
:tpd:

BHalbrooks
10-16-2012, 04:38 PM

hahahaahahahahahaha

mosesbotbol
10-16-2012, 04:39 PM

Davidoff is a solid line of cigars IMO. Expensive yes, but they have been at the top level of NC's since their inception. They are for a certain palate and I find them to be a complementing cigar rather than a focused cigar like many of the big name NC's are. Davidoff is subtle and refined; not a full bodied as smokers long for today.

ziggy4112003
10-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Gurkha's to pricey and way to much goes into the boxes and packaging whereas they would be better off putting said funds in purchasing better tobacco all around and the fermenting processes. I here they have some decent sticks but I for one based on the dog rockets of theirs I have had will never purchase one.

68TriShield
10-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Davidoff is a solid line of cigars IMO. Expensive yes,

I agree with your thoughts on the line.Without fail a beautiful wrapper and perfect construction and draw.But as you said,expensive.For me,too expensive.

I would like to know the source of peoples hype.
A good half of my perceived hype comes from right here.The other half anymore comes from emails from cigar catalogs,Famous and CI etc.

kingcobradude
10-16-2012, 07:52 PM
to me it is the opus x line. I was at a cigar shop in wichita recently and they had some smaller opus x torpedos going for under 10 bucks. I picked up a couple and smoked one so far. I can see why they fetch so much. though why would I pay 25 plus for one stick when I can get one for under 10.then theres the 700 odollar or so ghurkha. I like ghurkhas, but not 700 dollars for one

44stampede
10-16-2012, 09:05 PM
Davidoff is a solid line of cigars IMO. Expensive yes, but they have been at the top level of NC's since their inception. They are for a certain palate and I find them to be a complementing cigar rather than a focused cigar like many of the big name NC's are. Davidoff is subtle and refined; not a full bodied as smokers long for today.
I agree. I love the Davidoff Special R

It is more on the mild side for sure but really enjoyable...

omowasu
10-16-2012, 11:56 PM
I agree with your thoughts on the line.Without fail a beautiful wrapper and perfect construction and draw.But as you said,expensive.For me,too expensive.

I would like to know the source of peoples hype.
A good half of my perceived hype comes from right here.The other half anymore comes from emails from cigar catalogs,Famous and CI etc.

At least half of my definition of "hype" comes from cigar magazines and cigar marketing. Seeing a so-so cigar rated higher than obviously better smokes, then turning the page to see a full spread advertisement from the same manufacturer, etc...

More of the "hype" comes from pricing. Any cigar priced highly is bound to generate some hype. And more dissapointment when it doesnt live up to what was spent.

And even more comes from "tuxedoing" - using super expensive lacquered boxes and packaging to sell an average product, claiming use of older tobaccos in blends without proof, releasing limited editions that arent any better than production runs but make cigar smokers believe they need to buy them now, etc...

I dont see this as a hate thread, its entertaining seeing what everyone else thinks. As for two of three I said were overhyped, I mentioned that they were average cigars - I dont hate them and certainly wouldnt refuse one if offered to me in lieu of a Tamboril or Cremosa (or Swisher Sweet!). I actually really like FFOX cigars, but Im not offended that someone else says they are overhyped (which they are to some degree) or that they dont like them. Smoke whatcha like! :)

dave
10-17-2012, 07:16 AM

Just who is it that is over-hyping cigars like the Tat Mummy? Is it the manufacturer? (that Would be over-hype - or maybe just damn good use of advertising dollars). Or, is this simply the market excitement by the end buyers (hopeful buyers?) that is generating the hype and prices? If it's market reaction, not manufacturer generated, is this the fault of the cigar and/or manufacturer? And should the cigar and the manufacturer be dragged through the proverbial mud because the market (not the manufacturer) has built up expectations that are not "lived-up-to" in the minds of the individuals that do not like them, or that do not like Tats in general?????? This is the Issue I have with this thread. Is this really about Over-hype, or is this about "picking a cigar you hate/dislike/don't really care for, and bashing it"? If the hype is market generated by the purchasers/smokers that really like Tats (or Gurkhas, or NC Cohibas, or Beehives...etc), then can it be said that all this thread is really about is basically bashing other smokers for their choices, NOT bashing the manufacturer for over-billing the cigar. If this thread is about the manufacturer over-hyping the cigars, then care should be taken that the over-hype being slammed is actually from the manufacturer, and not that which is generated by the buying public!

The AF Opus X and Anejo's are other prime examples. These sell out fast, and at premium prices because there is a perceived "greatness about these in the marketplace. Hell, Fuentes doesn't even really need to advertise them, do they???? This is MARKET generated. And if it is generated by the people that ARE willing to pay the price, and that DO enjoy them, is it hype, or just their honest opinion? And a honest opinion IS NOT HYPE! While the FFOX may be rabidly sought and enjoyed by many here, I'm sure there are many that read this thread that would place the FFOX and the Anejos in the over-hyped category.

I know it's probably just me and my thought process, but I just feel that this is a thread that serves no purpose except for allowing for backdoor bashing of smokers that enjoy cigars that others do not! And while I'm sure the bashing is not meant to be personal by the posters, it is still out there hitting on everyone that actually like Gurkhas.... Or Tats..... Or Beehives...... Or Davidoffs..... Or FFOX..... Or any of the other cigars mentioned.

Just an opposing "Opinion" on the whole of the thread!

Good points and I agree with all. I do think that Pete Johnson deserves the 'hype' label in the case of all the Tat monsters: the gimmicky Halloween release dates and 'spooky' packaging, release games, unsatisfactory stinky boxes, tweeting and FB'ing his own hype machine, etc. I mean...TRADING CARDS, for crying out loud?

I love me some Tats and enjoy one almost daily, so I'm not bashing cigars I don't like - I'm just unimpressed with aspects of the marketing.

Brooks W
10-17-2012, 08:07 AM

Say what you will about the Monster series in General (to some, the best thing to happen to cigars, to others, stupid tripe marketing for 10 year olds), but the Mummy is a pretty great cigar, when you get rid of all of the hype surrounding the actual release.

IMHO.

MajorCaptSilly
10-17-2012, 09:00 AM
It's really pretty simple. Some manufacturers experimented with limited editions and it worked. As long as it works, we'll be seeing more LEs. I call it marketing vs hype. If I could sell limited edition server equipment at a premium price and get people to buy more of my "regular" server equipment, i would do it in a heartbeat.

MCS

rizzle
10-17-2012, 09:03 AM
For me, it's Ilusione. I feel like I have given them a fair shot, but I've never had one that I liked, or even finished.

And Nub, obviously.

Daaaaaamn, Joe. Illusione makes my favorite NC cigars. I'll go cry now. ;)

Oh, and for me, Cain.

poker
10-17-2012, 10:05 AM
For me, "overhyped" has to do with lots of people singing something's praises, and when you try it, it disappoints.

Kind of like a Caputo :r

lenguamor
10-17-2012, 04:55 PM
Kind of like a Caputo :r:r